First large group tour.

xraydave

Geocachers: WeR4Disney
First of all, I am not an official guide but because of my love for all things Disney, I have gained a reputation and a nickname for my skill and knowledge. My friends and family jokingly call me "Disney Dave".

We were in town for my niece's wedding and there is NO excuse to be in Lake Mary and not visit Disney. Our quick trip started out as a group of 8-9 but before all was said and done there were 19 friends and family, including some first timers, heading to AK. The actors ranged in age from 10-49.
To be continued....

Soooo.. I subscribe to the theory of getting in early to beat the crowds. However, we were all meeting the morning after a wedding reception, if you know what I mean. By the time we all met at the front entrance to AK it was already 9:45. The gates were open and the lines were growing and so was my anxiety. We had fast passes for EE so we went straight to the Safari. Although the line was 40 minutes, we took advantage of the time to reconnect with the family and friends we were with.
The safari was great. The lion and lioness were both on the rocks and the baby rhino was out too.
From there we back tracked to It's Tough To Be A Bug. We were seated and enjoyed watching the newbies experience the show.
By then everyone was hungry so we ate in Dinoland. Because it was lunch time Dinosaur had a10 minute wait so off we went. The true time was probably 20 minutes but we didn't mind. We were able to enjoy the details of the preshow.
We continued to Primeivel Whirl where one side was closed for "technical difficulties". We got inline anyway and ten minutes into it the other side opened up reducing our time in line. Such a simple ride but so much fun!
Now it was time for our EE fastpasses. Four of our group decided EE was not for them so we had extra FP's. I went to the end of the 45 minute stand-by line and pulled out the first group I came to. They were a party of three; Mom Dad and DD so I gave them a little "pixie dust".
The FP line was walk on and all 18 of us had a great ride. "Dad" could not stop thanking me. I told him that is what Disney is about!

Last edited:
From EE we back tracked a little to "Finding Nemo". It was a nice break from the heat and humidity. After Nemo I herded the group to the Pangini where everyone enjoyed the trek at their own pace.
By this time it was 4:30 so we took the last train to Rafiki's planet watch where we got to watch the cast members put the goats away, which was somewhat entertaining as each type of goat knew exactly where to go when the gates were opened.
After a short train ride back the group was torn as to where to go. We decided, because of the early closing time, we would split the group in two. One group wanted to try Kali while the other was excited to watch the last show of The Lion King. I was in charge of the Kali group so I hurried to Kali to check the wait time and compare it to EE. Kali was 70 minutes and EE said 40. We decided on EE!
Although it was a longer wait than I normally like, one of the kids with us was a Disney first timer AND he was also one of the characters that decided not to ride it the first time. We enjoyed the base camp and explored the museum while in line. That is one of the things I love about Disney. The lines can normally entertain us while waiting. Needless to say, we all enjoyed the ride.
After this, our second EE ride, we decided to call it a day. We made contact with the other half of the group and headed for the gate.

Disney Dave had conquered AK with a group of 19!!! I was extremely happy with what we got to experience and satisfied that we weren't overly hurried along but took time to see some of the little things that Disney does so well.

However, my favorite moment of the day came as we left the park. My 18 y/o, free spirited, stubborn (like his Dad) DS threw a Disney bag at me and said, "I got you a present". I opened it to find an AK fridge magnet. It may not seem like much to anyone else but I have an obsession with refrigerator magnets and my relationship with DS has been challenging lately.

It was my "Pixie dust!!!!"

That's awesome Dave! Congratulations on a successful trip and your son giving you a token of appreciation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter