First kid-free trip with my dh! Resort suggestions???

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
I just got the greenlight to book a trip for myself and DH. It will be our first trip to Disney without kids. In the past, we've been limited by the fact that we are a family of five. Now we can stay anywhere!

You can see in my sig where we've stayed before. Any suggestions on which resorts are best for couples?

Thanks!

VP

Also, I'm considering a split stay since we won't have the kids with us and can survive an afternoon without being in the room. So we might just pick two resorts.

Thanks!

VP

Any of the places you have stayed in the past hold special memories for you and your husband? The villas at Wilderness Lodge is our home resort and holds a special place in my heart. I find it a bit more laid back there and easy to relax. I also like the Grand Floridian. Got married at WDW and stayed there. I think if it was just me and my husband, I'd go there.

Just wanted to add the pool at WL are going to be under refurbishment, if they are not already. That may effect your decision.

I just got the greenlight to book a trip for myself and DH. It will be our first trip to Disney without kids. In the past, we've been limited by the fact that we are a family of five. Now we can stay anywhere!

You can see in my sig where we've stayed before. Any suggestions on which resorts are best for couples?

Thanks!

Also, I'm considering a split stay since we won't have the kids with us and can survive an afternoon without being in the room. So we might just pick two resorts.

VP

If you go with just one resort, I would choose the GF. The grounds are beautiful and there are a lot of great dining options at the resort, not to mention a wider variety of dining choices at the Poly and CR (which is a quick monorail ride away). With that said, if you decide to do 2 resorts, I'd do the GF and split with an Epcot resort, getting the best of both worlds. Out of the Epcot resorts we've only stayed at the BC, but for an adult only trip, my choice would be BWI. Good luck and happy planning.

We went to WL for our honeymoon - I would pick that again but as someone said they are under construction from Sept - Nov 27.

My second choice is GF..I stayed there as a 10 year old kid and I still remember it vividly!

Oh, this is so exciting!

VWL is really special to us as a family, as we stayed there during our first trip in 2005 and our most recent trip in December. It is my husband's favorite resort, but we won't be going at Christmas time and we both said we were afraid it would feel like something was missing if the decorations weren't there. :)

Grand Floridian sounds like a good idea, since is the one place we are least likely to take the kids. We do love the Mizner lounge!

(I always love the day we agree it is time to plan another trip. It's always such a happy day!)

VP

DH and I like a relaxed atmosphere after a day at the parks. With no kids we like a quieter resort. We like AKL in deluxe and Port Orleans Riverside in moderate. We found the lobby and dining areas of WL and Poly to be so noisy it gave me an intense headache as it was echoing so much and at the Poly that was at breakfast! Grand Floridian was also very peaceful and relaxing.

My husband is not a Disney fan and hasn't gone with me and the kids since our first trip in 2004, but we both agreed that once the kids were grown and gone, he would go again with me. We also agreed that we would stay at the Polynesian as it seems the most romantic to us, personally.

We started going "childless" the first year our dd went off to college and have done it almost every other year since 2002. (we did take her once cause she whined at us about how evil we were going to WDW without her)

The first time I got 50% off rate at the GF. Beautiful place for just two. Very romantic... but we hated the transportation.

Since then we've stayed once at WL. We got comped up to Club level because of the small problems we had with the first week of ME.

However we fell in love with Boardwalk Inn. It is close to where we spend most of our time (EPCOT & DHS). Even though children are very welcome, there do not seem to be as many at BWI. So it is relatively quiet.

My biggest suggestion is to take advantage of the special tours. It is a lot cheaper for 2 than for the whole family. We did Segway at ECOT twice, 4 different tours at the Animal Kingdon (including the Wild Africa Trek). Keys to the Kingdom, and Future World at Epcot. We do a tour every trip now.

The other thing we enjoy as a couple is awesome meals. There is no rush, we can just sit and enjoy our dinners. Our favorite is actually Dining with an Imagineer at the Brown Derby. We've done that one 3 times.

I'd recommend considering Boardwalk. Its location to Epcot and HWS is great and I like strolling along the Boardwalk at night with my hubby.

We did Grand Floridian for our couple's trip last year! It was a perfect choice for us, as it felt very adult and is a place our 2 boys just would not be interested in. WL is much more their style! It was a nice splurge for an adult only trip.

SSR is a nice place along with BW and BC. We did a extended weekend trip back in May to SSR and it was quite nice without the kiddies

Thanks everyone! Right now it is between WL, GF, and BWI. I think GF is going to win though, simply because it is not a place we are likely to take our kids since VWL and AKV work so well for us with the kids.

I'll keep you posted! I'm really looking forward to this trip. We are living in Europe for the rest of the year and because we don't have family around and don't really know anyone well yet, we have no sitters here. We're going to go a full 9 months without a single date, so this trip is going to be SO needed!

I just need to nail down dates and make a final decision, then I get to think about all of the restaurants where we will get to eat and all of the restaurants I won't have to go to (hello, Chef Mickey's, I'm talking to you) since the kids won't be with us. :)

Thanks for the help!

VP

Thanks everyone! Right now it is between WL, GF, and BWI. I think GF is going to win though, simply because it is not a place we are likely to take our kids since VWL and AKV work so well for us with the kids.
VP
MHO :):
since you've stayed at VWL with kids, i would put WL at #3.
we love the GF (my kids & myself, DH "likes" it): stunning resort, renting water sprites, the beach, the views, and dining options. however, will you be going to the parks, & do you consider MK romantic? (many do, and many don't). since MK is closest, chances are that is the park you'll spend most of your time at.
BWI is a short & pretty walk to EPCOT (love strolling to WS for a grey goose slushie & watching illuminations - and the romantic walk back) & DHS (one of my favorite walks anywhere:love:), there are entertainers & carny games on the BW at night, jellyrolls (over 21yo dueling piano bar), dining outside at big river grill, etc.
both are fantastic choices - it depends which fits you best.
what ever your decision, have a great time!:)

My husband and I stayed at BW when we went alone. We like hanging out in Epcot so we would go somewhere in the morning, go back to room for a little bit (it was summer) and then walk to Epcot for the evenings. We loved it! Any of the resorts will be nice, so it probably depends more on what you plan on doing. Have fun and don't feel guilty!

My husband and I went w/out our kids the end of October for my 40th thus past year. We are also a family of 5 so we were so excited to have a chance to stay at the WL in a reg room! We had the BEST time!! Loved it there but of course am so sad we can't take the kids back there w/out a major upgrade to deluxe rm. Anyway my only thought was it would have been nice to be near Epcot for the F&W fest. So I thought the YC would have been perfect too. That being said we still spent the bulk of our time at MK so if I had the $ and the refurb of the pool is done the Poly would be my top choice. We are staying at the BC in nov with the family so I will let you know how it compares to the WL! When is your trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter