First full week of December crowds

I wonder if they've upped staffing for December, or if there have been cancelations? Availability has jumped for all of December!

not the end of the month! or at least not that I've seen. trying to add a night to the end of my AoA reservation and, so far, completely out of luck. Not surprising. Will keep trying but have already booked a room offsite as a backup.

not the end of the month! or at least not that I've seen. trying to add a night to the end of my AoA reservation and, so far, completely out of luck. Not surprising. Will keep trying but have already booked a room offsite as a backup.
Yesterday every single park showed as unavailable for the end of the month, now the calendar shows partial availability for me. Mostly EPCOT but some AK, and HS on Christmas Eve.

In terms of hotels, Disney is not allowing any single night bookings. People who have tried to add on a night to an existing reservation are having serious issues with this. It's a housekeeping issue, since single night stays require more cleaning than multi-night. When we had to extend we just booked at Universal.

Yesterday every single park showed as unavailable for the end of the month, now the calendar shows partial availability for me. Mostly EPCOT but some AK, and HS on Christmas Eve.

In terms of hotels, Disney is not allowing any single night bookings. People who have tried to add on a night to an existing reservation are having serious issues with this. It's a housekeeping issue, since single night stays require more cleaning than multi-night. When we had to extend we just booked at Universal.

Thanks. We're doing universal first. No availability there either for the end of the trip. I'm not sure how adding a night to an existing multi-night reservation would create the housekeeping issue. Or are you saying their system doesn't actually recognize it as that and is instead treating it as a new single night reservation? Really, the major reason we don't want to switch is because we're bringing the pups and another hotel means another pet fee. I realize we're probably asking the impossible to add a night (it'd be the week of the 27) but it's frustrating if the only reason I can't is because Disney IT is so bad (i know I'm not alone in that complaint!)

I'm not sure how adding a night to an existing multi-night reservation would create the housekeeping issue. Or are you saying their system doesn't actually recognize it as that and is instead treating it as a new single night reservation? Really, the major reason we don't want to switch is because we're bringing the pups and another hotel means another pet fee. I realize we're probably asking the impossible to add a night (it'd be the week of the 27) but it's frustrating if the only reason I can't is because Disney IT is so bad (i know I'm not alone in that complaint!)

What I've seen (anecdotally, in forums and blogs) is that people have found that adding an extra night within a certain time frame of the reservation (possibly 30 days, since I think that's when they start to map reservations onto actual rooms) is seen by Disney as a separate reservation for 1 night, instead of extending a reservation. I wouldn't let it stop you from trying but I guess be prepared to hear a no :(

So do they try adding 2 more nights and then take one off? Disney IT is seriously messed up.

So do they try adding 2 more nights and then take one off? Disney IT is seriously messed up.
I've heard accounts of people being able to start with 2 nights then call and get one removed. It seems like the closer you are to the check in date, the lower the success rate.

Again, this is all pretty anecdotal from what I've seen commenters sharing on Disney forums and blogs.

Disney is not currently accepting 1 night stays.

In order to add 'one night' to a reservation, availability has to be there for a completely new reservation covering all nights. Not ideal but the way it has been for many years. In the past you could book a 1 night reservation but those are not currently being allowed.

usually dies down the week after T-giving and it's one of the best times to go...however, this year there are plenty of travelers headed to Orlando who wouldn't have considered it otherwise. not sure how that will affect the traditional crowd levels.

They did restrict park hopping (at MK only) for a few hours in the afternoon on October 1. That is the only time they've ever done it, so far.

Last edited:
Disney is not currently accepting 1 night stays.

In order to add 'one night' to a reservation, availability has to be there for a completely new reservation covering all nights. Not ideal but the way it has been for many years. In the past you could book a 1 night reservation but those are not currently being allowed.

I know, I was responding to the person that said that they wanted to add a day but the system won't let them. I suggested adding 2 days, and then modifying it to take one off.

What I've seen (anecdotally, in forums and blogs) is that people have found that adding an extra night within a certain time frame of the reservation (possibly 30 days, since I think that's when they start to map reservations onto actual rooms) is seen by Disney as a separate reservation for 1 night, instead of extending a reservation. I wouldn't let it stop you from trying but I guess be prepared to hear a no :(

Thanks. Much more December availability did appear this morning! I did try to change my reservation (a package) several times and it would let me do it, assuming for the reason you mentioned, but I was able to book the additional night as a separate one-night reservation at the same hotel and same category. I think (or am hoping), I should be able to just pay a visit to the front desk when I arrive and ask them to combine the two reservations so that I won't be locked out/required to switch for the last night.

Thanks. Much more December availability did appear this morning! I did try to change my reservation (a package) several times and it would let me do it, assuming for the reason you mentioned, but I was able to book the additional night as a separate one-night reservation at the same hotel and same category. I think (or am hoping), I should be able to just pay a visit to the front desk when I arrive and ask them to combine the two reservations so that I won't be locked out/required to switch for the last night.
You can call (or maybe even chat) now and ask that a “continuing stay” notation be placed on both reservations. That lets the room assigners know you’d like to stay in the same room. They’ll try to do that, since it means less housekeeping.

Locals and past visitors during this time of year, how are the crowds usually? I understand that with WDW having 50th celebrations starting in October, what do you estimate the crowds to look like?

Curious for a couple of reasons. One, should I work an extra shift to pay for Genie+ LOL, and just basic curiosity. Part of me says they wont be as large crowds based on thanksgiving and Christmas crowds, which basically sandwich our on site dates.
We are here now and the crowds are INSANE!!!!!!

We are here now and the crowds are INSANE!!!!!!

I was shocked at the size of the crowds during our stay. I spoke to a couple CM’s as well and some were working extra hours because they were not prepared. It was a big thorn in our plans all week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter