First Disneyland Trip- so overwhelmed!

Keepee

But the most wonderful thing about Keepees is I'm
My husband and I are planning our first Disneyland Trip- we're from the East Coast and have been to Disney World several times, but this year we'll be visiting San Diego and swinging upwards to Disneyland for a day or two!

I am super overwhelmed already trying to figure out where to eat, the unique "must sees" of Disneyland, etc.

I look forward to picking the brains of you folks here :D.

Welcome! We sure do have a lot of WDW regulars planning first-time Disneyland trips lately. That's awesome! Try to check out this thread (A DLR Guide for WDW Vets): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

And you can also check out these stickies which have tips on restaurants, weather, hotels, etc. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072276

It's very comprehensive but it will honestly answer SO many of your questions. After you read it, come back and ask specific questions if you have them!

Lucky for you there aren't nearly as many dining choices at DL than WDW! :teeth:

You'll have a blast at DL! It's the best.

First of all, I'd try to stay at least 4 days, 5 is better, if you are going during the summer. The second thing is to think about where you want to stay. You really don't have to stay onsite at DLR. The 3 Disney hotels are very very expensive and there are others that are just as close or closer. We can stay 6 nights for the price of 2-3 nights onsite. We choose more days every time. We like Candy Cane Inn. It's charming, an easy walk, and has free breakfast.

The nice thing is you don't have to plan out every single day half a year ahead of time!

You must ride Pirates, half of it is missing in Florida.

Indy will also be a must.

We will be staying in San Diego and driving up to Anaheim, so no Disneyland only vacation :(. Of course, we got to do a week at WDW last year, so I guess I can't complain too much!

I will definitely make sure we hit the Pirates and Indy rides!

We were going to go over our anniversary when it hit us (like it does every year) Oh yeah...we got married over Memorial Day. :lol: So we're shooting for mid-May when the crowd predictors seem to think it will be less crowded.

We will be staying in San Diego and driving up to Anaheim, so no Disneyland only vacation :(. Of course, we got to do a week at WDW last year, so I guess I can't complain too much!

I will definitely make sure we hit the Pirates and Indy rides!

We were going to go over our anniversary when it hit us (like it does every year) Oh yeah...we got married over Memorial Day. :lol: So we're shooting for mid-May when the crowd predictors seem to think it will be less crowded.

I know most people on here say a four or five days visit is necessary, but it's not. You don't need to see EVERYTHING. I for one could care less about seeing all the stores, or the shooting ranges in frontierland. I have no desire to see the Golden horseshoe either. Make a list after visiting the website. Pick what you want to see that is unique to Disneyland only, then pick from there. I live in San Diego and can say there is a lot to see down here. Legoland and the zoo for starters and of course Sea World. Enjoy your visit to everything.:)

Those links above are wonderful. I would examine the park maps so you feel more comfortable locating where you want to go. Or load a good app or two.

I love New Orleans square. I love to wonder the shops, eat Fritters and eat at the Blue Bayou. I like lunch at Blue Bayou so I can have the Monte Cristo.

Have fun!

Thank you very much Nana50! The husband and I have decided we're going to try to do the rides that are different, as well as the "must sees" like PotC. I've heard the Peter Pan ride is also different.

I really Can. Not. Wait!

Croppin, I look forward to seeing the New Orleans Square!

I love this forum :thumbsup2 I have learned so much already! :grouphug:

We're a couple of WDW vets that went to DL for the first time last month, and we absolutely loved it!! Here are a couple of tips for you:

1. Don't expect it to be the same WDW, or you will be disappointed. There are a lot of WDW vets who come back, hating DL because it's so much different than what they are used to.
2. You will definitely want a park hopper ticket! Park hopping is a much different experience at DL. I counted 159 steps from the exit of DL to the entrance of DCA. You can literally go back and forth all day and still do less walking than you would at one WDW park.
3. Understand and be prepared that there is a lot of attractions at DL that are outside that WDW keep inside (queues and the rides themselves). We had one day of rain while we were there, and that made it very difficult to do much that wasn't going to soak us in the process. There aren't a whole lot of indoor shows like there are at WDW that you can hide out in for the day, so be sure to check the forecast before picking which day(s) you want to spend there. Also know that if is is raining, they will close all/most of the FP machines because they are out in the open. This means that there are much longer lines than normal, even with the low crowds.
4. Some of our favorites: California Screamin' (our favorite!!), Matterhorn (but might be closed when you visit), Big Thunder Mountain (much better than WDW), the Aladdin show, Space Mountain (also better than WDW), Indiana Jones, and World of Color. And you must try a corn dog at the corn dog cart at DL! Best corn dog I've ever had!!
5. Be sure to do whatever it is you want to do at DCA before the first WOC show, because a lot of it around the boardwalk area closes for the show. TSM does stay open, and during one of the shows is a great time to *almost* walk on.

We really had a wonderful time there, and I hope you do, too!!

OP- we're in the SAME boat!! We have visited WDW a gazillion times, and DH says to me last night.... "lets go to Disneyland next year instead"

I know NOOOOOOOOOOTHING about DL!!!! Unfortunately I just bought our WDW tickets (since I thought we were going there...) but FORTUNATELY just found out that we can use them as DL tickets, so we're not out any money. PHEW!

....now trying to figure out where to stay....

OP- we're in the SAME boat!! We have visited WDW a gazillion times, and DH says to me last night.... "lets go to Disneyland next year instead"

I know NOOOOOOOOOOTHING about DL!!!! Unfortunately I just bought our WDW tickets (since I thought we were going there...) but FORTUNATELY just found out that we can use them as DL tickets, so we're not out any money. PHEW!

....now trying to figure out where to stay....

SD Sorority, What type of tickets did you buy for WDW? And to anyone reading, I know there was a thread a while ago about whether or not you could use WDW tix at DL if they haven't been activated at WDW yet. Anyone remember the answer?

SD Sorority, What type of tickets did you buy for WDW? And to anyone reading, I know there was a thread a while ago about whether or not you could use WDW tix at DL if they haven't been activated at WDW yet. Anyone remember the answer?

We got 6-day park hoppers for WDW. I called DLR and they said that we could use them at DLR as long as they aren't expired.

So I think what I'll do is go to customer service, add the NE option, then take it to the gate.

We got 6-day park hoppers for WDW. I called DLR and they said that we could use them at DLR as long as they aren't expired.

So I think what I'll do is go to customer service, add the NE option, then take it to the gate.

Gotcha. I'm not sure if you plan on returning to WDW soon, but if so you might want to just hold on to your WDW tickets for future use and buy DL tickets. You can use them at DL, but you have to trade a day for a day every morning- you can't just trade three days at once. The CM working the gate typically has to call over a supervisor to perform the transaction and some people on the board that have done this have reported the process can take 15 minutes or so each morning. If, however, you don't have WDW in the plans, just go ahead and use them at DL since you've already paid.

Also I'm pretty sure you can't add the NE option to WDW tix at DL. Their computers aren't capable of doing that.

KigerKat, where can I find the corn dog stand (usually)? I must be hungry that sure sounds good right now. LOL

Is it my imagination or do they have more carts in the hub than they used to?

KigerKat, where can I find the corn dog stand (usually)? I must be hungry that sure sounds good right now. LOL

Is it my imagination or do they have more carts in the hub than they used to?

The Little Red Wagon corn dogs are in a permanent location at the end of Main St. on the right, next to Plaza Inn. You can find corn dogs at other locations in the two parks as well, but I always go for the Little Red Wagon :)

The Little Red Wagon corn dogs are in a permanent location at the end of Main St. on the right, next to Plaza Inn. You can find corn dogs at other locations in the two parks as well, but I always go for the Little Red Wagon :)

It will also have a forever long line, so try to get there right when they open.

Another tip: If you have a smartphone, download the Mousewait app. It's free, and gives you wait times that people have put in for the different attractions. That's what made me want to try the corn dogs! I thought, "If there's a wait time posted on Mousewait, they MUST be good!" And I was not disappointed one bit!

Going to DL next month for my first time too! I've looked at maps and info but tell me this: Can you walk from the main entrance of DL through to VGC without entering either of the parks? I see the pedestrian entrance on the maps but can't tell from the maps.

Going to DL next month for my first time too! I've looked at maps and info but tell me this: Can you walk from the main entrance of DL through to VGC without entering either of the parks? I see the pedestrian entrance on the maps but can't tell from the maps.
Walk from the DL gates to GCH without going thru the parks? Yes, sure. You go thru the west security check into DTD and enter GCH from DTD.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=33.8092124&lon=-117.9188132&z=19&l=0&m=b

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter