• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Disney World trip at 4, or wait until they're 5

There is no way to know what a child will remember. My brother doesn't remember anything from his first (and only) trip - he was 6. I remember a lot, and I was 9. My DD doesn't remember many specific events, and she was 8. The trips between 8 and 11 all run together for her, even though I remember very specific details.

But really, the memories are as much for the parents. Kids will be rewarded with the feeling of being loved, the unique experience of being with their family 24/7, having fun with mom and dad, the wonder and joy of Disney, etc., even if they don't remember specific events.

I'm personally a firm believer in taking kids whenever you want to go. This is how we like to vacation, so instead of going to the beach, we go to Disney world where they can ride almost anything at any age. I love it, and my kids had a blast. My now 5 year old has been twice, once at 2.5 (free before three!) and once a month ago for her 5th birthday. She currently remembers some from her first trip, but I'm sure that will change as she gets older.

For us, it's a magical experience and I don't know how much longer she'll believe in everything. She's way too smart and always trying to figure things out.

My son's first trip was a month ago. - he is 18 months. I do not care one bit that he won't remember anything.

I do like the logic I've seen here before that if you only do things when your kids will remember them, why bother taking them anywhere before they're 5 or 6?

I will forever remember my then 2 year old bouncing with tigger, checking to see if chip had been brushing his teeth, and wanting to ride the carousel nonstop. It was awesome.

This last trip, she got to do bibbidi bobbidi, loved the magic carpets, met as many princesses as she could find, decided she was brave enough to ride mission:space with daddy and yep, she was the pilot! She then went on test track and was so proud of how fast she drove the car!

Even my 18month old had fun, and it was awesome time for us as a family. My kids running around on the balcony at contemporary while the fireworks were going off - priceless!

If your trip will be one and done, sure, maybe wait, but if you think you'll probably go back, I would just go when you can. But remember, it's almost never going to be the perfect trip, tantrums can be thrown by a person of any age, and you'll never see everything, do everything , or remember everything.

I wish you a magical trip whenever you do go! It will be awesome no matter what!

We took our girls for their first trip this year. The eldest celebrated her 5th birthday at the park, and the youngest was 2.5. Even if they don't remember it, I will. The looks of amazement and wonder on their faces made this trip totally worth it. I can show them pictures and talk about some of the stuff we did to help them 'remember' and plan to take a second (and probably third) trip with them when they are a bit older and might actually remember... but I wouldn't pass up a trip at this age.

If this is going to be your only Disney trip, I'd probably wait a few years. But I'm going to assume that most people here aren't the one and done type. ;)

My son is 8 now. He's been 9 times (well, 8 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland). I'd say he remembers bits and pieces of all of the trips, but doesn't remember the entirety of any trip, including the one last May. (To be fair, I think he'd struggle to remember what we had for dinner an hour and a half ago).

If this is a one time only trip - wait until she's older. If you plan on going back several times - I vote for taking them while they're young!!

I agree in going when you want to. I will say we went when my oldest was 6 and youngest 4. She remembers part of it and DS remembers little to none. But I remember his expression on some of the rides (both good and bad), him meeting the characters, and what a great time he had. Quite frankly, between 4 and 5 isn't going to make a huge difference so do what you want. Agree though that if this is the ONLY trip you might ever take, I'd wait -- until 9.

IMO the preschool crowd is a great age to bring them. My favorite pics are DS with his idol Buzz Lightyear when he was 3. And DD with the princesses when she was 4. And other DS around age 2-3 with Lightning McQueen. By the time DD was age 5, she was over the princesses. While she'd still pose, it wasn't the same level of awe. :D I doubt they remember much from those years, but I sure do!

My DW and I knew we wanted to take our DD to Disney World before she turned 5 and got into school. Right now my DD's 3, so that gives us a couple of years in which to make this trip, and since my DD's birthday is in December we have some time before she has to be in school and following an academic calendar. Last night, the DW and I were talking about our upcoming trip that I'm planning for the spring of next year when she made the comment that she wonders if we should wait until our DD is 5 so she can remember it. This got me thinking because I honestly didn't think about that when I started planning the trip. I know my MiL took my DW when she was 4 and my DW doesn't remember it. I want my DD to have that memory as much as we will. I'll admit that I want to go next year partially for selfish reasons, I haven't been in years and I want to go. Now, I know that everyone is different, and everyone will remember things at early ages that other won't, but I wanted to ask those parents who took their kids at 3 an 4 y/o (even 5 y/o) if their now older kids remembers the trip. Again, I know each kid is different, but I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks.

I don't think it makes that much difference. They will remember it when they look at pictures/videos and moreso if things happen that become family legend (we have stories of trips that our Daughter remembers because of specific moments that get retold endlessly). And lots of other parts of it they will forget. That is true of if they are 3, 4, 5 of even 10. My husband went on one Disney trip during his childhood, at the age of 10 and he says he remembers virtually nothing from that trip, so theres' no guarantee.

My DS3 was watching one of the short videos we took from our trip this past January. He saw the castle shot from Main St and exclaimed "Daddy! That's the castle! But it's far far away now." Then he went to the window, just stared off, and quietly repeated, "so far away."

Dammit, now we're planning on going back right before he goes to Kindergarten in 2 years :p

Our son was 3.5 when we went on a cruise, for our 5 yr old twin DD's bday.
Our next trip was to DW when HE turned 5, and the girls were 6.5.

My mom made digital scrapbooks from the thousands of pictures I took. They have their own scrapbooks of both trips and let me tell you, my son remembers a LOT about that cruise! Stuff that's not in the book, stuff we've told him and, to an extent stuff he's made up. Lol point being I think the books help to jar their memories, and in doing so keep the memories alive. I know my son goes to bed every night looking at one of his Disney books Gma made him. He's about to be 8 and we're planning our next trip for his sisters' 10th bday, but they also have a new baby brother who will be 2.5 on this trip, so it will be interesting to see if the baby remembers much.

On a side note, be very careful.... Disney has a funny way of sending you home with souvineers to last a lifetime!

I barely remember things from trips I took the 15 and 16. If you are waiting for a perfect "remembering" age, there isn't one.

Go when you can afford it financiallly and time wise. Take lots of photo/video. She won't remember but you will.

I went when I was 8. While I remember a few random snippets, I don't remember most of it. I enjoy looking at pictures and I KNOW I had fun. But now at 35 my memories have faded to almost nothing.

Go when you want to go. She will have a great time at 4. We are going in September for the first time (since I was 8) and our children will be 8, 6 and 4. I don't know how much they will remember long term, but I know that we will have fun, and we will take pictures. I think kids remember how they felt more than actual details, so if she has fun she will recall good feelings!

I agree completely with this. I went when I was 4 and again when I was 9, and I only have hazy memories at the age of 29 now. I suggest going when you want to and when it is convenient schedule-wise (before school starts makes sense).

My son was 4 1/2 for his first trip and still remembers parts of it. Heck I went right after I turned 5 in 1977 and still have vague memories. We are finally getting back there in less than two months and he's 11 now. My younger son was just turning 2 at the time so he has no memories at all of that trip. He'll be almost 9 now for this trip.

My daughter's first trip was when she was 8 weeks old. ;) Obviously she doesn't remember any of it but man those are some great memories!!

Our last trip my older two were almost 3 and almost 5. My son who was almost 5 remembers bits and pieces. Honestly, I hardly remember anything from preschool or kindergarten so I don't know how much it matters! For what it's worth, my daughter is going into kindergarten this year and I wish we had taken her this past year. It would've been the perfect age because she adooooored princesses and the magic would have been so real for her. She's already starting to not enjoy princesses as much and it makes me so sad!!

We've taken our kids as young as 3 months and it didn't matter whether or not they could 'remember' it, it was all about seeing Disney from a different side and it was well worth it! First I went a child with my parents and then it was a teen with my family and then as a college student on the WDWCP and then as a girlfriend with my boyfriend and then when that boyfriend became my fiance and we began to plan our WDW wedding and then it was as newlyweds and then as new parents with an infant...then as parents with a toddler AND an infant and then as parents with a child, toddler and infant...on and on it went as we went every year leading up to this year we are taking a 11, 10 and 9 year old :) It's amazing to see the photos with many things staying the same, but our family changing little by little!

My DW and I knew we wanted to take our DD to Disney World before she turned 5 and got into school. Right now my DD's 3, so that gives us a couple of years in which to make this trip, and since my DD's birthday is in December we have some time before she has to be in school and following an academic calendar. Last night, the DW and I were talking about our upcoming trip that I'm planning for the spring of next year when she made the comment that she wonders if we should wait until our DD is 5 so she can remember it. This got me thinking because I honestly didn't think about that when I started planning the trip. I know my MiL took my DW when she was 4 and my DW doesn't remember it. I want my DD to have that memory as much as we will. I'll admit that I want to go next year partially for selfish reasons, I haven't been in years and I want to go. Now, I know that everyone is different, and everyone will remember things at early ages that other won't, but I wanted to ask those parents who took their kids at 3 an 4 y/o (even 5 y/o) if their now older kids remembers the trip. Again, I know each kid is different, but I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks.
We took DD when she was 3, almost 4, and are taking her again when she is 4, almost 5. She still talks about her first trip with us. It is so very magical too because it is real to her. The pictures tell the story (thank you Memory Maker!) to relive the memories for all of us. I say if it is in your budget, go now!Then go again, haha! Life is too short!

We took my DGS for his 4th birthday - we talk about it and look at the pictures he certainly remembers specific events - like Typhoon Lagoon his Nanna being shouted at "lady get out of the water" when I was just going to rinse sand off my legs before the all clear was given following a lightning storm - returning next year his little sister will be almost 4 :)

I remember how excited they were and how much fun they had! I love those memories.
yep this sums it up! First trip as a family the girls were 6 and 17 months. We were supposed to go when the oldest was 5 but...she got a a baby sister instead LOL.

My oldest has now been 3 times and barely remembers much from first trip. Obviously the younger girl remembers nothing of her first trip. However that first trip is one of my favorite family trips. I remember their princess dinner, how delighted my oldest was with Prince Charming, nearly in tears (from excitement) when Cinderella talked to her (she is a princess girl through and through)-she also remembers this. How the baby was upset when Prince Charming talked to her older sister first (the ONLY time she came close to tears all week) until PC came and knelt down by her and proceeded to give her his undivided attention. The sight of the oldest trying to coax her sister to come talk to Jafar...goofy and pluto (think they were the younger versions? must find pictures) walking onto the ferry to MK holding my daughters hands (so sad we don't get this type of character interaction any more).

Seriously-we had to take it slow because of the girls' ages and it really really allowed us to enjoy the magic.

We took our DGD for her third birthday. Lots of people told us not to, but I didn't care if she remembered it or not. I just wanted to see the joy on her little three year old face. She'll be spending her ninth birthday at WDW, also, and she still remembers some stuff from the first trip. I don't regret taking her a three at all. It was a magical trip. (Kate's the little one in my avatar pic.)

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, everyone, I do appreciate it. I talked to the wife last night and told her that I had posted this question and told her of all the responses. I'm sure my daughter won't have any memories, but with all of the photos and videos we'll be taking, plus the stories, she might remember snippets of the trip. Besides, the extra year will allow her to grow in both in height and in stamina. My daughter and I were out and walking around all weekend and she did wonderful, so given an extra year she'll do even better, still plan on bringing an umbrella stroller, but she'll do better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter