First Day - Sunday taking it easy..suggestions?

zstyles

Mouseketeer
We are arriving on Sunday at 12:00 we were thinking of taking it easy after flying for 6 hours plug bus trip to hotel...any suggestions on a park to go to or things to see or do....we wanted to get back to the hotel early, eat dinner and go to bed for the rest of the week....so anyone have experience with later in the afternoon arrival and just hanging out and seeing a few of the slower sights of DW...

When we arrive it will be 3:00 or so. But we still plan on heading to MK that day. Even if just to walk down main street hit a ride or 2 and head back. It is what Disney is for me and a perfect way, IMHO, to set the mood!

pirate: Yar!

we're arriving on a Sunday too and are planning the same type thing

I always thought I could see everything I wanted to see at HS in about 1/2 day....that park was never too big for me to cover in a short time.

DTD is an easy way to hang out.

pick a park that you have only a few things on your list to see...maybe knock that out that day.

or hang pool side!

When we arrive it will be 3:00 or so. But we still plan on heading to MK that day. Even if just to walk down main street hit a ride or 2 and head back. It is what Disney is for me and a perfect way, IMHO, to set the mood!

Perfect Idea! Might even catch a fireworks show the first night..thanks for the different view!

totally agree - we always start our arrival day at MK - knowing we are not going commando for rides shows etc...the goal is usually to see the 3 o'clock parade - maybe linger for the fireworks - get some dinner etc..good time to stand in some lines and meet characters....

We just got back and for our trip, we arrived on Sunday and were all checked in by about 3pm. We relaxed and explored the resort for a couple hours then headed to Magic Kingdom. We just walked through and went on Buzz Lightyear once then took the monorail over to the Polynesian.

We got ourselves a couple Lapu Lapus (rum in a pineapple) from the bar at Ohana's and went out to the beach to watch Wishes.

Then we went to Ohana's for our 8:30 ADR.

It was perfect.

This was my DH's first trip and he was apprehensive...he didn't think he would enjoy Disney as an adult. While we were on the beach waiting for Wishes to start, he looked at me and said those magical words "I may have been wrong about Disney". :goodvibes

We always drive down from New Jersey. We usually stay at a value resort the first night and swim and hang out and rest. I always book a room only. I know after being in the car for 20 hours, we really need to rest up for the remainder of our vacation! The next day, we check into either Wilderness or Polynesian and the mad dash to and through the parks begin!

:)

I think it depends on your resort location. We have a similar situation; arriving Sunday around noon. Since we are staying at BWV, our plan is to go to World Showcase. I've made an ADR at Biergarten for 5:00 and we may or may not stay to watch Illuminations. There's so much to see at World Showcase and we don't have to hassle with "rides". And, it's the Flower & Garden show at EPCOT. However, we plan to be at rope drop Monday morning at the MK.

My plans would be completely different if I were staying at a monorail resort.

I completely agree! My family and I ALWAYS go to MK on our first day. It kinda sets it in that you are in Disney! haha and it's amazing because you get to see Wishes on your first night. I always think to myself "I was home in CT this morning, and now.. i am here. In Disney. watching Wishes." i ball my eyes out each time :rotfl2: even if you just walk around, see some characters, shop a little, go on some rides, goin to MK is just the PERFECT way to start off a trip :) gosh im getting so excited :rotfl:

I think taking a stroll around the MK not worrying about rides etc might be the way to go...thanks all!

Although Main Street and Wishes sound very good, I find it hard to do EPCOT in one day so we always start at EPCOT for a half day and then do each of the parks for a day later in our visit. I find the same kind of "I'm so happy to be here feeling" when I"m strolling around the World Showcase and watching Illuminations with Spaceship Earth in the background. No rides-just loads of atmosphere...and usually without much of a crowd.

I'm arriving on Sunday as well (around 2:00PM), but my family decided to take a different approach. MK does sound enticing, especially since the park is open until 11:00 with EMH. However, we don't want to exhaust ourselves after a full day of traveling. With little kids, we felt that wouldn't be a good idea.

We plan on checking out the animals at AKL, then heading over to DTD...get ourselves a couple of super huge ice cream sundaes at Ghiradelli's, do some fun shopping at World of Disney, hit the LEGO store, walk around, dinner, and get a good night's sleep.

Just a nice way to ease into a hectic week.

I'm also on Sunday arrival, probably checking in around 3pm.

It probably also depends how familiar you are with WDW. I've never been on-site before and I'm sure to be knocked out by my resort. :goodvibes

That said, I'm going to check out my beautious resort and head over to Downtown Disney, hoping there will not be a huge crush of people.

I think the EMH PM is Hollywood Studios that day. If I'm feeling adventurous, maybe.

We are arriving around noon, but are only going to be there for three days. My kids want to go to Blizzard Beach, so we are going straight there from the airport. I will have a backpack already packed in our luggage. BB closes at 5pm, so we will get to the hotel early and just hang out the rest of the night. Just hoping the weather cooperates! ;)

Happy planning! :goodvibes

We will arrive on a Sat. around noon. Our plan, (just hubby and I on this trip), is to go to DTD, have a drink and some appetizers at Fulton's and then go see the early show of Cirque du Soleil. After the show we will go have a sundae at Ghirardelli's then head back to the resort. We have been to Disney many, many times, so we no longer have to do commando touring. :cool1:

if it was me i wouldnt want to use up a day of my tickets for just a few hours. why not hop on the monorail just to take a spin and see the resorts? or just hang around your resort and go for a swim. my last trip we stayed at port orleans riverside and our first night we took the boat ride over to downtown disney. we had dinner at wolfgang puck and dessert at ghirardelli and got a start on some shopping. it was a really fun way to start our trip and build up some anticipation without getting too tired out on our first night after travelling.

We are arriving on a Saturday around 3ish I'd think. Our plans are MK even though it's a Saturday. It will be a nice down day to just see the MK and ride some stuff that is (hopefully) not so crowded. We are also hoping for a dinner at Crystal Palace to kick off the trip. My son looooves Tigger!

Our first trip is in April- Not knowing any great schedule, days to go or not go etc- We have decided when we arrive around noonish- we will drop our bags off at SSR and head to DTD where we will hit T-Rex for a bite and an adventure for the kids- After they have had their fill we will peruse DTD a bit, the lego store, Virgin Music, Goofy's Candy Co., etc and then back to SSR to unpack and takein the resort a bit- we will then head to Wilderness Lodge via a bus to whichever park gets us to a monorail and on to a resort where we can then head over?? I am still reasearching how we will get there...
We plan on exploring a bit there and then taking in the Chip N' Dale Campfire sing-a-long and afterwards watching the Electric Water Pageant and then back to SSR for a nights rest before First day at the parks! I hope this works for us!

I'll be there also Sunday Pop Century around noon!

Its been five years and my girlfriend has never been.

I was looking for suggestions as well and this has helped.

I am going MK and The Wave first I think...

Hope to see everyone having a good time down their safe travels to all!

:hyper: Kyle:hyper:

Our tradition is to go straight to the World Showcase, have a leisurely dinner at our favorite restaurant, take it all in, and return to our resort for a good night's sleep. That way, we are "in the mood" to hit the MK early on the second day and we're rested and ready to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter