First a Little Pomp & Circumstance,then a Whole Lot of Disney Dining! COMPLETE

I'm very happy to read your Il Mulino review - I thought maybe we were missing out by staying away from the pizzas and pastas, but your review has convinced me otherwise. The limoncello story was hilarious, so at least you'll always have that memory now. :)

Since I remember how you feel about Shula's, I hope bluezoo was able to better represent the Swan/Dolphin signature restaurant trio.

I think "good but not special" summed up our meal at Il Mulino in 2009 as well. We did enjoy everything we had but it isn't some place that we will rush back to. Thinking back though I don't know that any of us had any of the pasta with red sauce dishes.

I did enjoy the limoncello! Love your daughter's story! :laughing:

Great room at BWIVillas! We had our longest stay at the BWI this past Oct, 10 nights as well, and we had the time of our lives! So nice not to change rooms or resorts mid stay.

Il Mulino...well I am torn on that one. First time we ate there it was wonderful, second time I loved it (had the chicken and escarole) but DH wasnt too happy (pizza) and they didnt bring us the meat and eggplant dish or the complimentary Limoncello!

Needless to say I do have it on our Oct schedule but they better bring out the lemon juice this time! :lmao:

I'm really surprised to hear sub par reviews of Il Mulino! We've eaten there twice a year since 2009 and have always had superb meals.

We love that lemon juice too, Nick!:laughing:

After reading and critiquing my first review, DD1 said that I needed to make our rating system more fun. :confused3 She suggested that I incorporate a Disney theme into our ratings. So since she was the guest of honor on this trip, I allowed her to choose our theme. Peter Pan is currently her favorite Disney movie and Tinkerbell her favorite character, so Peter Pan theme it is. ;)

IMG_0271.jpg

Here is our rating system:

cliphookproud-2.jpg
Argh! pirate: This food was pretty bad (luckily Captain Hook will rarely appear in these reviews).

clipsmee-1.jpg
I don't believe that Mr. Smee was truly bad, he just dutifully obeyed his evil captain. And just like Mr. Smee, this food has the potential to be good, but is not quite there yet. For now, it's just okay.

wendy-1.jpg
Just like Wendy this food is good, but not particularly imaginative or memorable.

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Like Peter, this food is a star...very good!

th7-1-1-1.jpg
This food was excellent, maybe even magical like Tinkerbell. :tinker:

Ok, I'll go back and edit my first review now to include our Peter Pan themed rating system.

Thank You, thank you, thank you for sharing that for me!!! I'm so glad that you had a great time!! Excited to read more about your trip. :yay:

You are very, very, very welcome! :) Hope you also have a great time at the BWV.

One question... Are the villas closer to the DHS side of the property or the Epcot side or am I confused and they are somewhere else? :confused3

Well just in case you are like me and find it much easier to understand things like this if you can see a picture/map of it, here is a link that might be of help.

Epcot Resort Area Map

The Villas side of the Boardwalk Resort is on the right (yellow and red buildings) and is close to the Swan Resort. The Inn side (with regular rooms and is also where the Boardwalk Resort's CL rooms are all located) is the one on the left (white buildings) and is closest to Epcot. The walkway to Hollywood Studios is actually located behind the resort and follows the waterway that you can see the beginning of on the map. Hopefully this answers your question, but if not or if you have any other questions about the Boardwalk...please feel free to ask away.

Since I remember how you feel about Shula's, I hope bluezoo was able to better represent the Swan/Dolphin signature restaurant trio.

I won't go into any details yet (don't want to steal my own thunder, so to speak ;)), but for the most part we were pleased with our dinner at bluezoo.

I think "good but not special" summed up our meal at Il Mulino in 2009 as well. We did enjoy everything we had but it isn't some place that we will rush back to.

I guess that makes three of us here with the same opinion of Il Mulino...you, me, and Donald. Anyone else out there??? Now's your chance to come clean. :rotfl:

Il Mulino...well I am torn on that one. First time we ate there it was wonderful, second time I loved it (had the chicken and escarole) but DH wasnt too happy (pizza) and they didnt bring us the meat and eggplant dish or the complimentary Limoncello!

Needless to say I do have it on our Oct schedule but they better bring out the lemon juice this time! :lmao:

I remember reading your last review of Il Mulino and you not receiving the complimentary limoncello at the end of your meal. I figured that they must have discontinued this, so I wasn't expecting it and didn't mention it to DD. Therefore, we were all happily surprised when our server came to our table with a bucket. :laughing: So hopefully you will have better luck on your next visit. They should know who they are dealing with...MickeyNicki, one of the most popular and well-respected dining reviewers on the disboards. Not a good time for them to hold back on the lemon juice! :rotfl:

Anyway, I can't wait until October so I can read another one of your dining reviews. Love them! :woohoo:

I'm really surprised to hear sub par reviews of Il Mulino! We've eaten there twice a year since 2009 and have always had superb meals.

We love that lemon juice too, Nick!:laughing:

I thought we'd love it, I really wanted to love it, but sadly no...we didn't love it. :sad2: But oh well, you win some you lose some. And we had many great meals on this trip.

Do you mind me asking though, what is it at Il Mulino that you find superb? Maybe we just didn't order the right things??? :confused3

nice to see a rare review of Il Mulino - looking forward to more

Thanks for reading Minnie! :)

Our first morning didn't exactly go as I had planned...which will be a common theme for this trip. ;) My plan was to be at the International Gateway entrance to Epcot by opening time, send DD1 (our fastest walker on this trip) on ahead to get fastpasses for Soarin' (my favorite Disney World ride and usually my first ride of every trip), ride Soarin' once we catch up to her, then have breakfast at Sunshine Seasons there in the Land Pavilion while we pass the time until we can ride again with our Fast Passes. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans??? :laughing:

This was the reality: As I am getting ready for bed, soon after returning from dinner at Il Mulino, DD1 informs me that she still has some online school work with a deadline of 7:00 a.m. the next day. :eek: What, I thought you graduated? :confused3 Yes, I know you graduated, I was there and saw it with my own two tearfilled eyes. Well, it turns out that because she was an intern in a school research lab last year there was still some work that needed to be done. They had kindly extended the deadline until after finals week and graduation weekend and she had taken advantage of their kindness. Consequently, she was up until at least 2:00 a.m. working on her laptop in order to finish and submit her work. (Let me just add here...Kudos to the Disney resorts for now offering free wireless internet in their guest rooms!) So of course, being the kind mother that I am :rolleyes1, I didn't make her get up early the next morning. While both daughters slept in, I had a pleasant walk down to the Boardwalk Bakery for coffee and a breakfast treat.

cebf170e.jpg

Now I have always had a blueberry muffin for breakfast from the Boardwalk Bakery, but this seemed like it was going to be a trip where traditions would be broken. So with that in mind, this is what I got...

0d36c4af.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Chocolate Croissant

Well, I just might have to start a new tradition because this was very good! I took my croissant and coffee back to our villa, popped it in the microwave for just a few seconds, and then enjoyed them while I sat out on the balcony and played on my IPad. So this turned out to be a very quiet and relaxing start of our first day for me and my daughters greatly enjoyed their extra hours of sleep. Yes, hours...we barely made it to Epcot in time for our 11:30 lunch ADR at Le Cellier! :rotfl:

NEXT UP: Lunch at Le Cellier

At least plan B looked good!! I'm sure I will have at least 1 morning that DH & DD will not want to get up and go to breakfast while we are at BWV. Glad to know the bakery is just downstairs! ;)

Thanks for clarifying the location of BWV. Now I know from the map where the villas versus the inn are located on property. :goodvibes

Every time I see pics from Boardwalk Bakery, I start feeling hungry. :rotfl: That looks like a very good chocolate croissant.

Looking forward to your Le Cellier lunch review (and I love the rating system)!

Joining in! I love your reviews and can't wait for more. The food sure looked great at Il Mulino, too bad it was just ok. Cute rating system!

Great reviews so far. Signing on. I'm interested in hearing about a lot of your reviews. We are eating at some of the same restaurants as you and can't wait to read your thoughts!

At least plan B looked good!! I'm sure I will have at least 1 morning that DH & DD will not want to get up and go to breakfast while we are at BWV. Glad to know the bakery is just downstairs! ;)

Thanks for clarifying the location of BWV. Now I know from the map where the villas versus the inn are located on property. :goodvibes

I do love the Boardwalk Bakery and have gotten breakfast there at least once on nearly every trip, even when we were staying at the other Epcot resorts. Just a tip though, it can get very, very busy during the mid-morning hours so if you are wanting a quick breakfast and don't want to stand in line, there are a couple of other options at the Boardwalk. Inside the hotel (on the Inn side) you can get some of the same pastries (they come from the bakery) and fill your refillable mugs at the Bellevue Lounge. It's located on the 2nd floor between the lobby and the elevators for the Inn rooms. Another option is Boardwalk Joe's which is a kiosk out on the Boardwalk (very close to the bakery). I have never stopped there but I have seen pastries in their display case when walking by and they look to be the same as those in the Boardwalk. Not sure if the refillable mugs can be used there though, if that's an issue, but I'm guessing probably not. However, although there are these other faster options, the bakery is the place to go for the biggest selection and of course the best smell! :thumbsup2

Every time I see pics from Boardwalk Bakery, I start feeling hungry. :rotfl: That looks like a very good chocolate croissant.

Looking forward to your Le Cellier lunch review (and I love the rating system)!

Joining in! I love your reviews and can't wait for more. The food sure looked great at Il Mulino, too bad it was just ok. Cute rating system!

Great reviews so far. Signing on. I'm interested in hearing about a lot of your reviews. We are eating at some of the same restaurants as you and can't wait to read your thoughts!

Great reviews so far!

I love your limoncello story!

:welcome: to the new readers and thank you to emmysmommy, Donald and Krissalee for continuing to read and comment. I'll be sure to tell my daughter that her suggestion for the Peter Pan rating system was well-received. ;) Although our food at Il Mulino did not remind us of the wonderful food we had in Italy, the limoncello certainly brought back a fond memory from our trip! :thumbsup2

I'll try to post my Le Cellier review very soon, so please stay tuned! :)

Lunch at Le Cellier - Part I

Background: During our plane ride to Orlando, my DD2 asked me to figure out how many times we have each been to Disney World. (NOTE: If I were a suspicious person, I would think that her father had put her up to it as perhaps an attempt at intervention??? :lmao:) I was a little surprised (but not at all regretful) when my final trip tally came to 17 (counting this one) and the girls weren’t too far behind me. So how does this relate to Le Cellier? Well, of my 17 trips to the World, I have dined at Le Cellier during nearly all of them. So needless to say, this restaurant seems to be a family favorite (or perhaps habit? :laughing:). Now I wasn’t always certain why it was a favorite, since we have had some experiences where we had mediocre food (well, really just the steaks) or bad service. Actually once we had both. :sad2: But then a couple of years ago, we finally learned to resist the urge to order steak (which we found to sometimes be good and other times not) at Le Cellier Steakhouse and started trying other non-steak entrees on their menu. Since that time we have found the food to be consistently very good. With that in mind, we were all looking forward to our lunch at Le Cellier.

NOTE: In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that on our last visit to Le Cellier (Nov. '11) during our DISNEY STEAK CHALLENGE, I was forced to order the filet due to my son being absent from the meal. And the filet was actually pretty good. Although the meat was of a lesser quality than the steaks I had at Yachtsman and Shula’s, it was well-seasoned and quite tasty ( I actually preferred the preparation over that of the Shula’s filet). However, at this same meal my DH had the salmon, which is what I had originally planned to order and it was excellent…better than my filet. ;)

Ok, now on to our review. If you read my last review you will know that my morning was spent lazing about on our balcony while the girls slept in. Before I knew it, it was almost time for our 11:30 lunch at Le Cellier, so we had to hightail it to Epcot. Luckily we were staying at the Boardwalk so we didn’t have to depend on the Disney transportation to get there, just our own two feet. So happily I made it past their outside check-in podium and inside the restaurant just in time to see this…

c0659c4c-1.jpg

Le Cellier Servers Singing the Canadian National Anthem

Despite our numerous visits to Le Cellier, I had never before been able to get an ADR at opening time of the restaurant so had therefore never seen this. Although they were no “Voices of Liberty”, those of us in the lobby who saw them perform were appreciative of the gesture. Oh, and I should apologize for the quality of the picture, but DD2 was outside with her camera taking pictures of the Victoria Gardens, which were looking especially beautiful for the Flower & Garden Festival. Consequently, I was forced to take the picture of the singers with my phone.

8da7b87b.jpg

The Canadian Pavilion's Victoria Gardens

Once the singing was over, they immediately began seating us. We were one of the first groups to be seated, so I had DD snap a few pictures of the nearly empty Le Cellier restaurant…something you don’t often see.

IMG_0186-1.jpg

IMG_0190-1.jpg

Our server soon stopped by our table to introduce herself, telling us where in Canada she was from and in which province section we were seated…neither of which I can remember because we were concentrating so hard on all the menus we were given. The alcoholic beverage menu (which we decided against ordering from), the regular lunch menu, and the Prix Fixe lunch menu. And speaking of menus, here is a pic I took of their current Lunch menu posted outside of the restaurant.

c5e21342.jpg

Soon after, this arrived at our table…

315b421c-1.jpg

Our Bread Basket

Seriously? Two pretzel breadsticks and one multi-grain roll for the three of us??? This would not do, this would not do at all. :sad2: To avoid the inevitable bloodshed (or whining anyway ;)) that would ensue, I quickly requested a third breadstick so that we could each have one and was brought two or maybe even three more. So all was again right with the World. :thumbsup2 Oh, and again sorry for the bad pic but DD2 refused to take a picture of the bread so again I had to use my phone. :rolleyes: Anyway, we can’t possibly have pretzel breadsticks at Le Cellier without having this to dunk them in…

IMG_0193-1.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup - Made with Moosehead Beer and Bacon

This was actually DD2's bowl of soup, as she ordered her lunch from the Prix Fixe menu so received the larger portion. DD1 and I each had a cup. Now I must admit that the first time I tried Le Cellier’s cheddar cheese soup many years ago, I didn’t like it at all (thought it tasted too much like beer and I don’t like beer very much). Well, since that time I’ve grown to enjoy it very much and this time was no exception…I gave it a solid “Very Good” rating. However DD1 has always loved it and again loved it this time, giving it an “Excellent” rating. So that left DD2 with the deciding vote. After quickly devouring every last drop of her larger portion of soup, she very nonchalantly rated it only a “Good”. :confused3 Hence, our average rating for the Canadian Cheddar Soup was a “Peter Pan Very Good”.

Moving along to our entrees, DD2 chose this from the Prix Fixe menu...

IMG_0253-1-1-1.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Grilled Pork Chop with baked cheddar cheese pasta, tomato chutney and bourbon-chipotle glaze

She loved the pork chop and gave it an "Excellent" rating, however DD1 also ordered the Pork Chop and gave it only a "Good" rating. I should tell you though that DD1's lower rating may have been influenced by something that had nothing to do with the Pork Chop. On her last visit to Le Cellier in May 2011 she had the Walnut-Crusted Salmon and absolutely loved it. Sadly, though they still offer salmon on their lunch menu, Le Cellier has changed the preparation a few times in the last year (it was Maple-glazed in Nov.) and currently offers a Miso-Glazed Salmon. She was not sure that she would like this version, so decided to go with the Pork Chop. I think though that her disappointment may have caused her to be more critical than usual. In other words, I doubt that she would have given any other entree a higher rating than "Good". ;)

Oh, and by the way, neither of them cared for the macaroni and cheese side dish.

I'm going to post this review in two parts, since I just discovered that I have too many pictures/icons for one post. ;) Oops, and there's another one!

NEXT UP: Lunch at Le Cellier - Part II

Lunch at Le Cellier - Part II

Now I was faced with a bit of a dilemma at this point. You see, I had planned to order the Pork Chop. But when both daughters decided to order it I knew I should order something else...for the sake of variety and of course for my dining reviews. ;) So I decided to go with something I had tried for the first time at Le Cellier in Nov. 2010 and was pleasantly surprised at how very good it was...

IMG_0198-1.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Le Cellier House Burger with roasted mushrooms, smoked bacon, maple barbecue, Black Diamond Cheddar, and crispy onions, and french fries

This is a really good burger! In fact I can't think of a better one at Disney World, at least that I have encountered. Not only was the burger itself prepared to a perfect medium-well as ordered, but I really enjoyed the combination of all the toppings. I would again give this a solid "Very Good" rating. Oh, and the french fries were pretty good too, however they pale in comparison to the side dish that we ordered to share, the Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes. We didn't take a separate picture of these, but you see them in the right-hand corner of this Pork Chop picture.

IMG_0194.jpg

The Creamed Cheese Mash Potatoes were something that we could all agree upon and it received a perfect score of three "Excellent" ratings.
th7-1-1-1.jpg

If you are mashed potato fans (like we all are) and haven't tried these yet, do yourself a favor and order these the next time you are at Le Cellier. You can substitute them for whatever side normally comes with your entree or you can order them as an additional side dish like we did.

We were extremely full at this point (shamefully we weren't able to eat all the food we had ordered), but DD2's Prix Fixe meal included dessert. She had a choice of Maple Creme Brulee, Seasonal Sorbet, or this...

IMG_0199-1-1.jpg

wendy-1.jpg

Canadian Chocolate Moose

She graciously offered to share her dessert with us, so DD1 and I each had a few bites. Our ratings for the mousse ranged from "Okay" to "Very Good" and seemed to be directly tied to how much the rater likes chocolate.

So although we only got to try one of Le Cellier's desserts on this visit, on my way out I did take a few pics of some of their other offerings on display.

2447d839.jpg

b7878fed-2.jpg

e7df2979.jpg

I see that I didn't include the label in the last dessert picture, but I think it is
White Chocolate Cheesecake with Citrus Shortbread Cookie, Seasonal Berries and Raspberry Air. Wait, Raspberry Air??? What is that? :laughing: Donalddolewhip, can you help me out with that one? :confused3

So our overall rating for this meal was:
clippetersitting-1.jpg
Like Peter it was a star, and I'm sure will continue to play a starring role in all our future trips! :thumbsup2

NEXT UP: A Stop at the Rose & Crown Pub

Hmm, I have no idea what the raspberry air is - I think the raspberry air is only included at dinner (the lunch dessert menu doesn't mention it, but the dinner menu does). I hope it's as interesting as it sounds, since the cheesecake looks kind of boring to me. :laughing:

Glad to see that Le Cellier was very good overall - the burger looks delicious. And I'm happy to see the Nanaimo bar make a cameo appearance! :thumbsup2

Raspberry air? LOL!! I had to read that one twice. Great meal at Le Cellier. I can't wait to read more! The pictures have me hungry now!! LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter