• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Finding cancer's cure...by way of Disney!

Monday, May 19, 2008 (continued)

Me - "What is that smell?'

Al - "Oops"

Me - "Dude! Not in the LIMO! Why do you smell like that? What did you eat?"

Al - "Sorry"

Everyone rushes to roll the windows down to escape the noxious gas seeping from Alphonso's pants. Matlock rolls up the privacy screen to avoid the fumes. Little did I know, this was the first of many very embarrassing moments to be had this week...all starring Al.

When we get to the airport, Uncle F remembers to tip Matlock. He didn't want it, but MAW suggested we do it. Besides, he was really nice, had to smell Al during the hour long drive.

My fingers are crossed going to NW Airline's check-in counter. My scale said 49.5 lbs before I left home. Looking in my mirror, I'm thinking the scale errors on the side of caution, so I KNOW my bag is over 50 lbs...dang it...there goes $50. What's even better is the line is SUPER long & Evan can't stand for long periods of time. All three of the kids are wearing MAW t-shirts, and a NW Airline agent spots us and flags us over to the First Class check-in. We didn't have first class tickets, but she did that to keep us from waiting so long. Much appreciated! Even more appreciated was the fact that my bathroom scale is wrong! Not only do I really weigh 4 lbs. less, but so does my bag.

Uncle F and Evan have seats together in the back of the plane. Al and Savannah have seats together somewhere else, and I am sitting alone. Great! I will get a chance to read my book.

Flight attendant - "...to fasten your seat belt, place the..."

Me - "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

We leave the tram to baggage claim and find someone holding a big GKTW sign with Evan's name on it. Evan was all smiles when he saw it. Her name was Leslie, and she was super helpful with locating luggage and and getting to Avis Car Rental. Car rental was a breeze. They just asked for Uncle F's drivers license and told us to fill it up before we returned it. We get into the mini-van and Leslie tells us everything we need to know to get to GKTW. That wonderful sign with Evan's name on it does double duty. On the reverse side are written directions to GKTW from the airport. Leslie took the time to add where tolls were required, how much they were, and even made sure we had exact change, since one of the toll stops required $0.50, exactly. Thank you, Leslie! I brought my navigation system with me, but be sure to follow the instructions on the back of your Wish kid's sign...much easier than my GPS's directions!

GKTW staff greeted us with big smiles & stuffed animals. I kept thinking about how lucky we were, with our whole trip still in front of us, while we watched another family leave. Our villa wasn't ready yet, so they suggested we have lunch first. Off to the Ice Cream parlor for lunch. They had hot dogs, an assortment of sandwiches and potato chips. Of course, we had ice cream, too!

The villa was really nice. Two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, sitting area and kitchen. There was a roll-a-way bed in closet and the sofa was also a sleeper. There was a crib, too. Since this wasn't the "traditional" family, these little bedding extras more than accommodated our sleeping arrangements.

Orientation was 3:30. They run orientations all day, so you shouldn't have to wait more than 2 hours before your assigned time. Because my uncle is the parent of the wish child, they requested that he go. I stayed in the villa with the kids. Unfortunately, I can't give you any orientation details because he fell asleep (was awake all night packing) and I wasn't there. (Embarrassing moment #2) If it weren't for this board and GKTW's "Bunny Book" (given at check-in), we would have been clueless.

After orientation, we went to Downtown Disney. We planned to do DisneyQuest, but at $37 per person, we didn't think it was cost effective, since we had dinner reservations at Planet Hollywood in 3 hours. We opted to do some shopping and see "Ironman" instead. Good choice...great movie! During the ride to GKTW, I challenged the kids to find hidden Mickey's. The winner would receive $10 at the end of the trip. At DD, the race was on!

Me - "No, Savannah...the Mickey on the DisneyQuest sign does NOT count!"

As we all prepared for bed, I hear Uncle F yelling. Something was wrong. He could not find a piece of tubing for Evan's feed pump. Evan hadn't eaten much that day and needed some nourishment to keep his energy up. If you have a medical equipment need, make sure your Wish Foundation lists that when they make reservations with GKTW. GKTW said, in most cases, that they will not give you medical supplies without it being noted in their records by the local wish foundation. They gave us an IV pole without a problem, but would not give the tubing without a call from MAW. A call to MAW's emergency line and the University of Michigan got the correct supplies to us within a few hours. :worship:

OK...this is long enough for now...

Coming in Episode 2
"You kissed, what? Oh my God...that's so disgusting!"
"I'm gonna ride the Tower of Terror...no I'm not...yes I am...no I'm not...yes I am...no...."
"There are chickens behind the villa!"

popcorn:: just waiting for more :lmao: :goodvibes Then again you won't have to update soon since I don't have internet access right now. Who knows when I will be able to come and "borrow" someone's wireless again! :rotfl2: :headache:

I am loving your trip report so far. I have always wondered what GKTW was like as I have helped many children receive MAW trips to Disneyworld through fundraisers at work. This will be fun to be able to hear about it through your trip report.

Aww I LOVE your report, you made me cry at the beginning, what you're doing is amazing and I am in complete awe of you! Evan sounds fantastic and the way he is coping with his illness is inspiring!
Can't wait to read more, I want to know who kissed what!!! :rotfl:

Yippee! Another Wish Trip report in progress! Reading them is a great way to get excited about our son's wish-in-progress. Keep it coming...!!!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Savannah - "Little More...wake up!"

Me - "What the heck is that noise?"

Savannah - "I don't know"

Me - "It doesn't sound like Evan's machine."

Savannah - "It sounds like something outside"

Me - "Oh my God...there are chickens outside."

The poor rooster outside of our villa sounded like it had been the victim of some horrible voice box accident. His "cocka doodle doo" cocka doodle didn't. He kept trying in vain to wake the neighborhood, but only succeeded in making me feel sorry for him. He had friends, too. They just clucked around the yard ignoring his misery. I now shared in his agony...it was only 6:00 am. I needed to go back to sleep.

"Since you guys just got here, yesterday I'll let you slide this time, but remember that breakfast is over at 10:00 am"

Yep. We were late for breakfast...by about 10 minutes. We forgot Evan's hat, and he HAS to have a hat everywhere he goes. Then we forgot his jacket...then someone had to use the bathroom...oops, don't forget the camera...wait a minute...what about the ponchos?

Breakfast was great. The Gingerbread House where meals were served is super cute. There are hundreds of toys given by grateful families on shelves overhead. The tables have real peppermint candies in them. It was brightly colored and easy to get around in. Oh, and the food was pretty good, too. Breakfast buffet included sausage or bacon, eggs, grits, biscuits, assorted fruits, yogurt, potatoes, waffles, juices, coffee, donuts, muffins, rolls...pretty much anything you could ever want for breakfast. Alphonso hated it. The tables were too low for him...the whole place wreaked of "little kid." If he wasn't hungry, he would have never even walked in. He eventually came around and remembered why he was there. The tables were really low. Evan and Savannah were the only ones who could sit comfortably. The rest of us are just really tall. At 5'7," I'm the shortest adult in the family...Alphonso is taller than me at age 12. There was one "high" table there, and we sat there whenever we could.

As planned, we spent the first day at Hollywood Studios. First stop? Aerosmith's Rockin' Roller Coaster. Evan had to ride it twice. Uncle F declined the second ride citing extreme nausea as a poor excuse to miss one of the greatest coasters ever!

If you have a Guest Assistance Card available, USE IT! The cast members directed us right to the Fast Pass line. I felt guilty the first couple of times passing people (for the second time) in line, but remembered what is written on the card. Guests having a GAC should be given every reasonable accommodation to expedite their time in enjoying attractions. Reducing wait time will be wonderful, especially since we are trying to get six parks done in four days.

Up next was the Tower or Terror. On the last trip, Evan was so scared that he scratched up Savannah's arm and we had to find a first aid station. He said that he'd give it another shot, especially since Savannah liked it so much. Uncle F wasn't doing it. While waiting in line, Evan changed his mind over and over again. The elevator doors opened and the creepy bell hop ushered us in. I think if Evan could have run away screaming, he would have. Straight to the exit for us! I went back later and rode with Al and Savannah.

Evan and his father are both artists. Before we left, I knew there were certain things that had to be done. One of them was the Animator's Class at HS. Uncle F and all three of the kids went to the class while I tried to do a little bit of shopping. I returned just in time to see Evan smiling and showing of his latest creation...a pencil drawing of Sorcerer Mickey. He was SO proud to be at a real animators table with his father drawing. I didn't think we'd be able to get him to leave. Wouldn't you know it! Sorcerer Mickey was across the room signing autographs. We didn't know at the time that the GKTW pin and GAC got us to the front of the line for character meetings and waited in line in hopes that Mickey would sign the kids' drawings. A Cast member spotted us and pulled us from the line. Evan rushed to show Mickey his drawing and Mickey threw his hands up in excitement. He called over a cast member and asked (in Mickey sign language) for a clipboard and a sharpie. He took the time to sign each and every one of the drawings, gave out hugs and hi-fives, and took pictures with the kids while there was a long line of others waiting. I still fight back tears thinking about seeing Evan smiling while Mickey signed his picture. He didn't have to do that. He could have brushed off the drawings, took quick pictures with the kids, and sent us away. The attention paid to the kids...all three of them...was amazing. Even tough ol' Alphonso left smiling.

We had lunch at the Sci-Fi Drive In. Evan thought it was really cool. He and I split a turkey sandwich. We all had a good laugh about the how old the movie clips were. The kids had no idea that TV and movies used to be in black and white. They had never been to a drive-in, either.

We ate dinner at GKTW. Al was still annoyed, but he ate well, so everything was OK with him. He found out that there were fishing poles available, and that the lake at GKTW had bass in it, and decided that he would fish that night and early in the morning. They didn't fish that night, but did some surveying and since there was a Walmart right up the street, he and Uncle F bought a few supplies for some Father/Son early morning fishing.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Al - (running into me & Savannah's room) "You won't believe how big a fish we caught"

Uncle F - "It was a pretty good sized bass...almost the length of Al's forearm."

Al - "Yeah. It was so pretty. It was all nice and slimy. The good, healthy fish slime."

Uncle F - "Al kissed it before he threw it back."

Me - "You kissed what? Oh my God...that's so disgusting!"

Al - "If you saw how pretty that fish was, you woulda kissed it, too."

Me - "Uh...no...that's gross. Scrub your lips so we can go to breakfast on time this morning."

Al - (puckering up) "Don't you want a kiss, too?"

Stay tuned for Episode Three
"Yeah...we gotta do IOA and US in one day."
"You have a Meal Deal wristband and you ate nothing today?!?"
"It's snowing in Florida!"

Have you posted on the Wish Trippers Unite!! thread yet? If not, this is your official invitation. We do a lot of sharing of ideas and questions there. I believe you will find it helpful. The link in my signature is The Home Page for Wish Trippers.

Welcome to the club. We are all excited for your trip.

Bill:cool1:

Have you posted on the Wish Trippers Unite!! thread yet? If not, this is your official invitation. We do a lot of sharing of ideas and questions there. I believe you will find it helpful. The link in my signature is The Home Page for Wish Trippers.

Welcome to the club. We are all excited for your trip.

Bill:cool1:

Yep! A link to my TR is at the top of that thread.

2008-02.png

Disney Cast Member helping Mickey sign Evan, Savannah & Alphonso's Drawings
2008-03.png

After all the hugs, hi-fives, and drawing signing, Sorcerer Mickey took pictures with the kids, too.
2008-05.png

One of Evan's favorite movies is "The Incredibles." He was so excited to take a picture with Frozone!

Hello!!!!!!! Hope all is well with you! I would love to read more about your trip! You know....when you have a spare minute in all the craziness that we call life. :lmao: :sad2:

:surfweb: popcorn::
They need a smilie at the computer with a pop...I don't drink coffee. :sad2: :rotfl2:

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Savannah and I slept together in the "parents" room, the boys slept in the "kids" room, and my uncle slept in the living room area on the sofa sleeper. They were all gone fishing when the vocally challenged rooster woke us up. No fish kissing stories when they returned...just a buncha talk about "the one that got away."

Not sure if I already said this, but some breakfast items alternate. For example, if there is sausage one day, there's bacon the next. For kids who have discriminating tastes, this can be frustrating for them. The chemo has changed Evan's taste buds; many foods he just cannot tolerate. When he finds something he likes, he will eat only that item for weeks at a time, then one day it doesn't taste good any more and he moves on to something else. He was very upset about there not being any sausage at breakfast Thursday morning, but his mood immediately changed when I told him that he would ride "Spiderman" today.

Me - "Evan, we get to ride Spiderman today!"

Evan - "Cool! What about Men In Black? Do we ride that today, too?"

Me - "Yep!"

Uncle Foster - "Didn't you say that those rides are at two different parks?"

Me - "Yeah. We gotta do IOS and US in the same day."

Uncle Foster - "Are you sure I can't just stay in the room?"

Evan decided that he wanted to ride Men In Black first, so we headed straight to US. We rode it twice. The ride operator noticed Evan's GKTW badge and asked if he wanted to ride again. Uncle F chickened out the second time. Bummer, because US gives you the ride pictures free, as long as the wish child is in the photo. This is a great savings! Those pictures are expensive! Get all of them!

The Simpsons family came down the street on a bus and the kids got to take pictures with Homer, Lisa, Bart & Marge. Again, one of the workers saw Uncle F's GAC and pulled the kids out of line. First in line for character photos at US, too! US also gives you one family picture at no cost as well. This is usually the one you take just before entering the park at the archway or in front of the US globe.

The Simpsons Ride is WAY COOL. The screen action is a bit fast and hard to follow; since Evan only had vision in one eye, it gave him a bit of a headache. (I am pleased to report that Evan has use of his left eye again. Hasn't been able to see out of it since he was diagnosed in June 2006!:yay: )

US replaced "Earthquake" with "Disaster" The kids were a bit wary of going on it, because they thought it sucked before. Since the ride has be updated, I figured we'd give it a shot. If you are taking a child with you that has no mobility problems, be sure you get to the front near the podium and get him/her to volunteer for the kid portion of the show. Savannah was picked and it was one of the greatest trip memories. If you want the ride's surprises spoiled, continue reading. If not, skip the blue section.

Savannah was picked as one of the actors, and I was her "agent." They put a blue rain coat on her and stood her in front of a green screen. There was a rock hanging from a rope attached to the ceiling. The director asked her to "look at the rock" until they yelled "cut." We all expected the rock to do something...it did nothing. Then they asked her to jump off a platform onto a soft foam mat. Later, thru some creative editing, Savannah appeared in the "Disaster" movie. She jumped off a building and landed on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. They both fell and she laid there on the pavement, looking at "The Rock." Get it? It was super funny. For the rest of the day she told people that she landed on "The Rock." Wait till you see what happens to the lady gardening...

You can purchase a wristband that allows you to eat all day at certain restaurants. Alphonso is the world's biggest eater, so we figured that buying him one would save us some money. He was so excited to be at US and IOA that he ate nothing all day! Uncle F bought a pizza at lunch, and we all ate some, but Mr. Snack Man didn't take advantage of the wristband as much as we thought he would. It is a good deal if you eat a lot; if not...don't bother.

We had just as much fun at IOA. One of Evan's favorite rides is Spiderman. I wonder how he felt about the 3D with only one eye?:confused: I took Savannah and Al to ride the Hulk Coaster. Evan won't do anything that goes upside down. He did, however, ride the Flying Unicorn about 12 times. There was no line at all!

We ate dinner at Bubba Gump's. That was the best meal we had the whole trip. We all really love seafood, and Bubba's Bucket of Boat Trash was super delicious! We were all so stuffed that we all had trouble walking to the car. Pushing Evan's wheelchair gave me an excuse to be bent over...so stuffed.

I was so stuffed that I almost forgot that it was Thursday Night. We rushed back for the Christmas Party that everyone has told me should not be missed. We jumped in the car and got back just in time for Mayor Clayton's Parade. Along the parade route are things for the kids to do. Outside of the move theater there is cotton candy and snow cones. Just a little ways away from that is a cookie station. Kids get to decorate sugar cookies with frosting and such. There's a chance for pictures with Santa and shelves of toys to chose from. Each child gets to take one. All three of the kids picked MP3 players. Thank God there were different colors! At the end of the parade route, just in front of the Gingerbread house, Mayor Clayton made it snow. Yep! Snow in Florida. All the kids had fun playing in snow under the tree. They partied themselves right to sleep. Everyone was right...the Christmas Party should not be missed.

Everytime we came home, there was a different surprise on the kitchen table. While the kids slept, my uncle and I tried to start packing some of the stuff. There were games and toys and movies and all sorts of stuff. PACK AN EXTRA BAG. I had a suitcase packed inside of a suitcase and used it to bring goodies home. It was totally full when we left. If you don't have an extra bag to bring, no worries. One of our treats was a GKTW duffle bag.

Only two more episodes left!
Stay tuned for...
"They burned us and then froze us...that was cool!"
"Wow you can really smell pine trees!"
"Evan, are you gonna eat all of that?"
"Look Daddy, there are so many stars here, and one of them is mine."

Awesome report!! I can't wait to hear more details of your trip. I love your pics, too, of course!! I'm so glad you posted about your Universal day--we are trying to decide whether to do one day or two there. Right now we're thinking a day and a half. Anyway, great report! I'm so glad y'all had a great time.

Awesome report!! I can't wait to hear more details of your trip. I love your pics, too, of course!! I'm so glad you posted about your Universal day--we are trying to decide whether to do one day or two there. Right now we're thinking a day and a half. Anyway, great report! I'm so glad y'all had a great time.

CJ will LOVE Universal. The older kids will like it a lot, too. You really could do a day and a half there. Evan wanted more time there, but knew he couldn't stay AND do the other things he wanted to do.

Hubby and I are going back for our annual anniversary trip (August 4 will be 7 years of wedded bliss!), so we'll be there at the same time! Enjoy!

Awesome job, lotferg! I think you are getting Amy even more excited. Hurray. You have written beautifully.

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter