Favourite Ship and why?

twinz

I agree with getting my WDW fix
For those of you who have been on multiple ships, which was your favourite and why? We are booked on the Dream for the end of August and are putting money down for the place holder. We may be interested in a 7 day next time around the end of August as well. There are 3 kids (3, 3 and 7 as of now) 2 adults (48) and a senior (71).
Thanks

Magic>Wonder>>>>>Dream/Fantasy, Wish pending *but suspect it will be last.

I really prefer the smaller ships for ease of navigation, less congestion in popular areas and nostalgia, I suppose. The pools are bigger and I've enjoyed swimming (lots) of laps in them-my favorite was swimming laps in the pool in port in Alaska-fun, memorable and definitely not something one could do in the tiny pools on the newer 3 ships. Families with younger children seem to prefer the Dream/Fantasy because "there's more to do" which I also understand. It's always fun to compare/contrast and I hope you have great cruise later this month. :)

I have sailed multiple times on all 4 ships and my favorite is the Magic for the size, amenities, and having my favorite show - Tangled. I also prefer Animator's Palate and the adult areas on the classic ships. We are sailing on Wish in October, and I do not think my favorite will change.

Honestly, No specific favorite. If I HAD To pick it would be the Magic mostly because of the memories I have on that ship.

I like all of them for the individual offerings and differences. I think that is one of the things that keeps me coming back to DCL is that they offer such a variety of different options on different ships.

Usually, the ship is decided on based on the itinerary for us.

Last edited:
So far, we have only sailed on the Magic and Fantasy and we prefer the Fantasy.

We like the AquaDuck, Sweet on You (the gelato shop) and the Midship Detective Agency on the Fantasy. We also like the concierge area set up better on the Fantasy.

We're looking forward to trying out the Wish in October and the Dream in January/February!

Will only sail on the Magic & Wonder. Hated the Dream & Fantasy--they were a one & done. Booked the DVC member cruise on the Wish of '23 to try it but suspect that will be one & done too.

The Wonder was my first ship and had always been my favourite. I’m sailing her for the first time in eight years this year and I hope she’s as beautiful as I remember! I’ve always had the best service on the Wonder too.

However I love the Magic because I adore Tangled, and IMO the Fantasy has the best adult area and I love the Aquaduck and mini golf.

But the Wonder is still my fave.

I've been on all five. I like parts of all of the them, but I think the Wonder is my favorite ship overall. I like how intimate it feels, Tiana's Place is probably my fav MDR in the entire fleet, and I think the Wonder's adult area is my favorite of all five ships too.

I am probably going to get flamed for this based on how much people seem to hate the Wish on this board, but I would probably put the Wish second. I actually really loved the smaller bars/lounges/spaces that were more spread out...it felt like I was always discovering something new! And I enjoyed all three MDRs (I thought both the Marvel and Arendelle shows were cute, and 1923 is my second fav MDR fleetwide). Full disclosure: I was on a test cruise that I didn't pay for, so I know that can make it hard to be neutral. I'm sailing on the Wish again in October as a paying guest, so I'll see if I change my mind then.

Magic is third for me. I love the Rapunzel show, and the Magic is quite similar to the Wonder in layout. I just hated that stupid AquaDunk so much (it HURT lol) that it clouds my judgment lol.

Dream and Fantasy come in last for me.

Dream -> Fantasy -> Magic -> Wonder. I've never sailed the Wish and never want to, given the reports I've read.

I prefer the Dream class because I like the AquaDuck, Midship Detective Agency, Remy, and prefer the location of the adult pool deck hot tubs on the Dream class. I prefer Dream over Fantasy because of Beauty and the Beast, and because the Fantasy has persistent aft vibration issues. I like the classics, too, especially their version of Animator's Palate. I prefer Magic over Wonder because of the Tangled theater show, and because the Magic has lately been doing Animation Magic in Animator's Palate even on short cruises.

Last edited:
My favorite is the Wonder (though I preferred her when the upstairs portion of Cove Cafe was open to all and not the concierge lounge). I like her itineraries, prefer her trimmings, I like her shows and restaurants, and I enjoy the lounge for its sea views.

My husband's is the Fantasy. He likes the larger size, the detective agency game, the decks you can walk all the way around on, and Satellite Falls (we have only sailed the Dream once FWIW and at the time it did not have SF).

though I preferred her when the upstairs portion of Cove Cafe was open to all and not the concierge lounge)
This. There were elderly folks who could have used that space on glacier day in June. I was hoping that they would have Cabanas open so people could sit inside and still have nice views. The family across the hall from us was able to be outside with their grandmother for just a few minuites as a time.

The Wonder was my first ship and had always been my favourite. I’m sailing her for the first time in eight years this year and I hope she’s as beautiful as I remember! I’ve always had the best service on the Wonder too.

However I love the Magic because I adore Tangled, and IMO the Fantasy has the best adult area and I love the Aquaduck and mini golf.

But the Wonder is still my fave.
This would be my exact answer, too :) We just got off the Wonder this morning, our 9th cruise overall and our 6th on the Wonder. #7 is booked on her this December. The adult area kind of sucks though so yes, Dream and Fantasy have her beat on that. And Tangled is a better restaurant for food and over all experience than Tianas IMHO.

I have only sailed Magic, Dream, and Fantasy. We have three cruises coming up on the Wonder and I can chime in then.

1. Fantasy - kids loved it and the service was remarkable
2. Magic - Amazing service, smaller ship - so less crowded than the Dream & Fantasy.
3. Dream - maybe it’s us. Maybe it’s the itineraries. But we’ve sailed her twice and it was subpar service both times. Kids prefer the Fantasy over the Dream for the amenities as well (son is 14, daughter is 10)

I’ve read so many people saying Wonder is amazing. Can’t wait to sail her in Nov, Dec, and Jan. We’re on the Dream again for HOTHS and I’m crossing fingers it will be a great cruise. We love to sail Fantasy for Spring Break and are going back with hopes of having the same amazing staff there. We’re back on the Dream for our British Isles cruise in Sept 2023, only because that’s the only ship sailing there. We had hoped it would be the Magic. We haven’t sailed Magic for years and it would be nice to see her again.

I‘lol go a different direction with my answer, based on some info you included: cruise month.

Next year, in August, 7-night cruises. Nothing is showing available for Dream. Is it in dry dock or sold out? Either way, you are left with Alaska on the Wonder, Northern Europe in the Magic, and Eastern or Western Caribbean on the Fantasy.

Alaska and Europe are almost always more expensive than the Caribbean. I don’t know how much airfare costs for Canadians or how flying time compares.

Alaska is one of my most repeated cruises. It typically involves 3 days in ports and one day cruising through a fjord to a glacier. A variety of port excursions are available, on which people do take their young children. It is easy to run up your bill with activities. This would be the wonder. A verandah is nice for one of the rooms for the beautiful scenery (Putting grandad and twins on the reservation for an inside - they don’t have to sleep together, though. Get a family stateroom with Verandah that sleeps 5 for the rest. (My money saving tip)

Europe is usually a port-intensive cruise, but port days are often historical-location centered. Lots of walking. This would be the Magic. I‘d save it for the future.

If you enjoy the beach /Caribbean, you have the Fantasy option. It will be similar to the Dream you will be on, so you should know if you enjoy that size/ class ship. Comparable kids’ clubs (pretty sure), pool deck layout, cabin size. The decision would be Mexico and the Western Caribbean islands or the Virgin Islands on the East.

It will be peak hurricane season at the end of August, but there’s no guarantee anything will happen during your vacation.

(For the record, I’m probably Magic > Wonder > Dream > Fantasy. And it is reflected directly in both # of cruises and total days on each ship. A lot of that is due to itineraries and price).

Next year, in August, 7-night cruises. Nothing is showing available for Dream. Is it in dry dock or sold out? Either way, you are left with Alaska on the Wonder, Northern Europe in the Magic, and Eastern or Western Caribbean on the Fantasy.
The Dream is in Europe next summer, not the Magic.

The Dream is in Europe next summer, not the Magic.

I wonder if I clicked Aug 22 instead of Aug 23? That would explain it. And why no 7-night Dream cruises listed.

Because I knew it was scheduled to go to Europe.

Thanks!

Okay, for August 2023 - Dream to Europe. Not the Magic. Otherwise, the same idea if Europe applies.

Magic out of Miami 3-4-5 night runs around the Caribbean. Castaway Cay + Nassau and Cayman Islands or Cozumel. Basically what Dream has been doing for years. Just the smaller ship.

Love the Dream and Fantasy. Will never sail the Magic again. Was way too small

Disney Magic/Disney Wonder are our favorites..
We much prefer the original, smaller ships. Much more intimate and you really get to know the crew on board.

We also like the Dream and Fantasy, but much prefer the smaller ships and longer cruises.

As for the Wish, which we were on for the July 25th 4 night cruise?
It's not only dead last, it's not on the list.
We will never sail the Wish again, even if it's the only ship left in the world. Horrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter