• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite sore feet nightly traditions?

SPA/H2O Brand, Mint Food Rub. (You can purchase this on-line at the Spa/H2o website, and I think you can also purchase it at the Grand Floridian, or at least that's where I purchased it one time. It's not cheap, but when I buy a tube of it, it lasts quite a long time).

After returning to the resort room for the night, I shower, and then put this lotion on my feet. It has a minty/tingly feeling, and helps to relax tired, achey, feet. It smells good too!:thumbsup2

One evening after a long park day, I went down to the pool at POFQ. I happened to walk barefoot from the hot tub to the main pool. To my surprise, a few steps on that pock-marked rough sidewalk was just heavenly on tired feet and calves. Just a few minutes of walking barefoot on the rough stuff relieved that tired, achy feeling.

I have only been to the world three times and never had an issue with sore feet.

i do see a lot of people in flip flops. (lets not even mention the few young ladies in heels (LOL) I guess because we wear good shoes with good support is why we do not have issues.

Other then shoes-- what would cause foot pain?

My nightly ritual is to send my son for a bucket or two of ice, pour those in the bathtub and run enough cold water to cover my feet. Then I spend about 15 minutes or so perched on the edge of the tub, soaking my feet in the cold water while I read a book. I also do this in the afternoons if we come back for a rest.

Going to try this during my December trip. Also, on last trip, I wore (flat) sandals in the park for the first time (usually only wear sneakers) due to a huge blister on the outside of my heel.

They were surprisingly comfortable. Considering doing the sneaker/sandal switch off this time.

My nightly ritual is to send my son for a bucket or two of ice, pour those in the bathtub and run enough cold water to cover my feet. Then I spend about 15 minutes or so perched on the edge of the tub, soaking my feet in the cold water while I read a book. I also do this in the afternoons if we come back for a rest.

As I am reading all of these great suggestions I am laughing at the extent we will all go through to have our day in the park!!

I cannot wear closed shoes and socks if the temperature is above 60--I am a barefoot/flip flop person. My feet get claustrophobic! :goodvibes At the end of the day a cool pool works for me.

We go to the pool after a busy day - the quiet pools are usually open 24 hours. It is usually cool and refreshing - then a quick shower to warm up - a couple of aspirin before going to bed and feet feel great the next day.

The pool and Aleve really helped my feet and legs this past September.

Count me in the ice bath group. I bring ziplock bags, fill them with ice and place the soles of my feet on them. Instant relief. This reduces the swelling a lot.

For the people putting heat on their feet - I think they must be sore in a different way since putting heat on inflammation makes it worse. Maybe cramped?

RandFamily said:
Count me in the ice bath group. I bring ziplock bags, fill them with ice and place the soles of my feet on them. Instant relief. This reduces the swelling a lot.

For the people putting heat on their feet - I think they must be sore in a different way since putting heat on inflammation makes it worse. Maybe cramped?

This! My feet muscles get crampy and tight an hurt so bad! That's my whole foot issue. I soak in hot epsom salt baths in the hotel room.

GaSleepingBeautyFan said:
I keep a bottle of water in the fridge that is labeled for feet only.

When I go back to the room for breaks or the evening, I use it to stretch out my feet. I put it on the floor and roll my feet over it. The cold is really nice on my feet.

I also make sure to lotion well each breaktime and at night with peppermint lotion.

Doing both has pretty much stopped my feet from hurting unless I really overdo it.

I love the idea of the cold water bottle. I'm always thinking of ways to help my feet. I have had three different surgeries on both my feet no matter what kind on shoes I wear. Plus I always always get blisters.

becfehr said:
I read on the disboards to use Gold Bond's Pain Relieving Foot Cream. I bought some at Walmart and will be trying it out in Jan. :yay:

Warning on this!!! I purchased this back in August after spending a few days at Disney. My feet were in misery! I actually stopped at the store on the way home from Disney. Put it on my feet as soon as I walked in the door it really helped. Then the next day I took a shower and my feet were still very sore so I put some on my feet again. Let me tell you my feet felt like they were on fire!!! For real....just the tops on my feet. I couldn't even sleep. Almost felt like I had sunburn.

DISers, what's your favorite way to deal with WDW-feet? I'm doing a pretty good preparation routine, but it's gonna happen. :sick:

My old routine was to soak in a hot-as-I-could-stand-it bathtub, but I think that might have made things worse because my feet and ankle swelled up quite a bit over the trip. :scared: I read in another thread that 2 aleve twice a day helps a lot with the soreness, but what's the consensus? :confused3

Yes the hot water didn't help, heat will make inflammation worse.
-Soak your feet in cold water at the end of the day, ice water is even better
-make sure your shoes are broke in but still have good arch support
-rolling your feet over something like a water bottle at the end of the day like other people said helps
-aleve does help but take it with food, it can be rough on your stomach

Learned this trick a few trips ago and it seems to be going well for me! I shower in the morning (though it should have the same effect if you shower at night when you get back to the room). I put in the drain stopper so all the warm, soapy water collects at the bottom of the tub. By the time I'm done, the water is just about my feet and my feet have been nicely soaking in the warm (not hot) water for about 10-15 minutes and feel SO much better! :)

1. Wear comfy shoes. For me, it's Crocs. For my DH, it's sneakers.

2. Drink a TON of water in the parks. It's so easy to forget to do this and it will cause you to swell if you don't drink enough.

3. After, take ibuprofen if needed.

4. If feet are swollen, drink more water and elevate your feet.

5. Take a hot bath.

6. If your feet dry out (like mine do), put on a goof moisturizer and some loose socks for the night. BTW, those moisturizer sticks from Basin in DTD are fabulous for your feet.

I wear Crocs Rx at home in place of slippers. For some context, I have really bad feet. I love my Crocs Rx. The heel portion is much more stable than regular Crocs and the arch support is better. I've never worn them outside for any extended period of time. Crocs are ugly but Crocs Rx are even worse... they are much bulkier than regular Crocs.

One thing that really helps my feet is to do both hot and cold baths. Put your feet in really hot water (as hot as you can stand) for 1 min and then in really cold water (as cold as you can stand) for 1 min. Alternate like this 3 times making sure to end on cold. This does wonders for improving circulation. The hot water relaxes the muscles and opens up your blood vessels while the cold reduces inflammation and swelling. I've found that the combination of the two is what really works well. All of this said, it's tough to do in a hotel so I use the bathtub for the hot water and then then a bag of ice & water (or something similar) for the cold water.

We use Theragesic on our feet. It works great. Put it on before you leave in the morning and then again when you get back to the room. It gets rid of the heat so you don't get hotspots or blisters.

As a nurse I can tell you that the "hot-as-you-can-stand-it" water WILL NOT HELP! Heat dilates blood vessels and will make your feel swell up even more. Cool water will be better. Elevating feet helps for the same reason....gets the extra fluid out of your feet. I also agree with others to hydrate!

I would also suggest going to a store where someone will fit you in a good shoe, especially if you wear gym shoes. A running store will do this for you. You do not have to be a runner or buy running shoes. You can buy good walking shoes there, too. They will be a bit pricier than if you bought them at somewhere like Kohls. They will measure your feet, watch how you walk and give you a proper fitting shoe. A good shoe is key! I did the Avon Breast Cancer walk last year and bought good fitting shoes....what a world of difference!

Also, start walk-training before your trip. An average day at Epcot alone can log 9-10miles! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter