• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

favorite parade & fireworks spots

bradyloganmom

DIS Veteran
We leave in 16 days!!! Just curious to read of your favorite spots to watch parades and/or fireworks at any or all 4 parks. Thanks!! :banana:

Our favorite place to watch Wishes is on the path that leads to Fanasyland right next to the castle. We stand directly under the wire that Tink flys by on and it's perfect!!!
For parades, of course Main Street is the best place, but people can get down right mean in that area when trying to find a place, so we go to Fontierland and find a nice spot on a bench. There's a lot more room there, too!!! Hope your trip is wonderful!!! :goodvibes

The list varies for each park/parade/show. For fireworks:

Illuminations - near the International Gateway is good particularly if you can use that as an exit afterward.

Wishes - you'll get a lot of recommendations for inside the park, but you can also consider watching from the Poly beach or getting a ressie at California Grille (if it's not too late to do so) and watching from the observation deck on top of the CR. Music is piped in to both these locations.

For parades:

MK - agree with previous post that Main Street is a zoo. Between Frontierland and Liberty Square is a less crowded option but for Spectro will mean it will take you longer to exit.

AK - we picked a spot near the end of the route near the entrance to the safari - the parade actually loops around the park and passes near there twice, but by the end a lot of people have cleared out.

MGM - have heard that near Star Tours is a good spot, but we haven't spent much time setting up for this parade.

In general, you have trade-offs between crowds, how far ahead you have to get a spot, and what you want to do afterward. If you have flexibility to stick around after night-time events, then you can afford to find a less crowded spot with good viewing that you don't have to show up an hour ahead to secure.

What is the protocol as far as going into the hotels if you're not staying in them? Can anyone just go to Poly Beach to watch the fireworks?

There are no restrictions at the hotels. One day that we weren't even going in the parks we made ressies for Ohana with plans to watch the fireworks out on the beach afterward (didn't end up working out due to sick kid, but you get the idea).

This is also a decent idea if you want to make quicker exit after the fireworks and you are parked in the MK lot as it is a short walk from Poly back over to TTC.

Whishes = Just in front of the Crystal Palace or Hot Dog Sports Food place
Magic Kingdom Parade = In front of the shooting gallery in frontier land

Illuminations = On rail in front of Germany

For AK, we had heard about sitting near Flights of Wonder, so we headed over there. Well we found a bench between Flights of Wonder and the restrooms and were able to watch the parade sitting on the bench and had no one blocking our view. Probably the best viewing we had for any parade/fireworks. Just keep in mind, that even arriving 10 minutes early, we had a much longer wait as the parade takes time just to get to that point. I didn’t pay attention to my watch, but I would say that it didn’t arrive until at least 4:15.

For Spectro and Share a Dream parades, I second the Frontierland spot. We had a spot right up against the ropes by sitting on the edge of the “porch” area next to Country Bear Jamboree. That was a great spot too, but you will have to arrive early to get these spots.

For Illuminations, we wanted to sit at International Gateway, but it was closed off for a wedding party. So we headed over to Italy and sat in the “landing area” next to the gondola docks. We didn’t get the best spot here as we weren’t quite early enough…if you arrive early enough, you can get the bench right on the rails and have a perfect spot. Our view was still spectacular.

I don’t want to advise you on when to get those spots based on our experience because you will be there at a much busier time. I would think that for AK, you can get there 20 minutes early to still get those spots, but for MK and Epcot, at a minimum, 45 minutes early…maybe someone else can give better estimates.

Farawayfan...If you are worried about getting into the Monorail resorts to watch, the audio is also fed into the boat landing at TTC. We watched Hallowishes from there and thought it was a good spot. It was definitely quiet...there was about a dozen of us there just to watch the fireworks...and if you are parked at TTC, it gives you a quick exit before the MK crowds get there.

My favorite spot for watching Spectro (and SADCT) is in front of the barber shop on Main Street. I like being at the beginning (or the end) of the parade. Plus I like the interaction.

Ohana and California Grille are both pretty popular, so if you want to eat at either you probably need a ressie. We went to Ohana for the first time our last visit and it was really cool. The format is a little different, it's kinda like a brazilian bbq if you've ever been to one.

At California Grille, it depends on where you're seated as to whether you would actually be able to see the fireworks from your table. We tried to time it so that we could get there and request a table by the window facing MK, but it didn't work out. They turn down the lights and stop service temporarily while the fireworks are going, but given our seats we had to get up and go out to the observation deck. One cool thing about CG is that they actually start Wishes from there and we were lucky enough to be selected to "help" Tinkerbelle (our kids got to push the button and got a special certificate for helping!).

ciera321 said:
, so we go to Fontierland and find a nice spot on a bench. There's a lot more room there, too!!! :goodvibes

can you see wishes from Frontierland? Thanks! (we leave in one hour!!!!! :goodvibes

We like the spot where the parade turns from Liberty Square to head into Frontierland. I like that because nobody is in front of me, and I can see the front and the side of the float. Otherwise I like to find any spot where (since the ropes can go back and forth a little) the people ahead of me- meaning that the parade goes past them first- are a little bit further back than I am so that I don't have to lean forward to see past. I hope that makes sense.

For Wishes, I like the end of Main Street in the hub. My husband likes Fantasyland because he is a fire lover and he likes to have fireworks all the way around him :rotfl2: . They shoot off some of the lower fireworks from the roofs in Fantasyland.

We tend to see Illuminations over by the International Gateway too, just because we usually are in an Epcot resort and it's easy to leave from there.

At MGM we have only stopped to see the parade once or twice, so I won't be of much help there.

Spectro-Main Street, I watched it from Fronteirland and didn't like it so I just "take my chances" being stepped on, on the curb.

For Wishes, we usually walk down to the corner by the soda shop

Illumations-if early enough, I grab a bench by china. Otherwise, we just walk around til we find a spot. If we're staying in the Epcot area, we then look around the bridge by the International Gateway.

We don't really go to the daytime parades, but thanks for the idea on AK, I think we might try Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade in two weeks.

Anybody ever sit at the tables in the Tomorrowland Noodle Station? On our last trip to MK I saw the lower tier and thought they'd be a perfect place to watch Wishes. The tentative plan for next Saturday night is to grab a spot on Main Street for Spectro. and then run over to the patio area to watch Wishes with a completely unobstructed view and a seat to boot!

We watch each parade at the spot where it starts. When it is over, you can be the first to walk away to do something else, while everyone else is still waiting! Sometimes we sit for an hour (talking, eating, resting) to be the VERY first people to see the parade!

Not very good picking a spot for fireworks -- seems like every time in every park, there are tree branches between us and the show!

dcmbshafe said:
Wishes - you'll get a lot of recommendations for inside the park, but you can also consider watching from the Poly beach or getting a ressie at California Grille (if it's not too late to do so) and watching from the observation deck on top of the CR. Music is piped in to both these locations.

I know the OP has probably already traveled, but just so everyone else knows: we were at the Poly beach 2 weeks ago to watch Wishes and they did NOT pipe in the music. I was so disappointed! Maybe it was just a glitch or something, because I know once in years past we did hear the music on the beach.

Judy

For Illuminations.
On one vist we had watched a performer at the American garden theater and decided to watch Illuminations from there So we just stood to the left against the rail. As we were waiting a service boat came up and was loading a firework I asked him where was the best spot to watch from. I figured if anyone new he would. He said watch the American Flag on the top of the United States pavilion thats how they get the wind direction always move to the side of the world showcase where the wind is coming from and you won't get blocked by the smoke. Try it. It works every time. ::MickeyMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter