Favorite coffee?

I'm like you here, I like to try all the different coffees all the different ways. I use my icoffee machine most mornings but I can't help thinking "there went a buck fifty" every time I put a kcup in. When my husband and I are up together I typically use a press pot. I've had an electric vacuum pot before that was cool, and various other regular coffee makers. I'm always on the lookout for the best tasting way to do it. I haven't tried the pour over style yet. Is it worth the time or just another way to brew?
I'd say of what we currently own it's probably my favorite way. We have a Hario V60 one that came with the top pouring device and separate small carafe. We buy a 100 pack of filters off Amazon which lasts us just about a year with us only doing it twice a week.

Normally for coffee we both put just a little bit of milk in it and my husband adds sugar as well to his. With the pour over we do not add anything. I find the coffee to have more flavor and it doesn't seem to matter quite as much what coffee we get because it all seems to taste good. With the pour over you can do more experimenting on your own with how you like it including the temperature, how fast the water soaks into the grinds and drips down, etc. Some people like stronger, some like weaker coffee so you get that more control. If you get it first several times you make it if you normally add cream/milk/sugar, etc in I would hold off so you can really taste the coffee bare and learn which works best for your tastes.

I'm not sure if this is the video my husband used when learning it (and there is a learning curve to the actual pouring process) but it is a good one explaining the steps

In the video the guy says how much coffee he uses, we use 30 grams of coffee weighted for 2 people but I don't know the final weight of the brewed coffee (also measured on a scale) off the top of my head.

IMO it's worth it to try (but I wouldn't go and get a really fancy expensive model) but I like that we only do it Saturday/Sunday because of the time involved (an espresso takes more time and is why it's more of a random treat for us rather than an everyday thing).

When I brew a pot of drip coffee I like Costco's Colombian. We rarely use the keurig--usually used for decaf & cocoa around the holidays. I struggled to find a brand of kcups I liked, but the midnight roast from Aldi is pretty good.

Do you have as tough a time as I do getting decaf at Starbucks? Virtually every location tells me they no longer offer decaf - even at 7-9pm at night, they'll only brew regular! They'll do a decaf espresso with hot water - but then I have to pay espresso prices vs just buying a cup of coffee. :mad:

It's been like that for a good 15+ years here. They won't make a regular decaf coffee as the rest goes to waste.

I just like a medium roast, but strong. Instead of a single scoop, I do 1-1/2 scoops. And if I do a pour over, where I just wet the grounds first and let the water soak through, I can go slower and make it even stronger. So, I can get cheapo Folgers or Walmart's Great Value classic (medium) roast and it's fine for me when I flavor the coffee or, as I put so much coffee creamer in my coffee.

My drip coffeemaker recently died. And I just bought a Walmart brand Mainstays dual coffee maker, that is capable of doing both pods and a drip brewer.

I was totally against pods for years, as the amount of empty plastic pods in landfills is horrendous. If lawmakers are going to get rid of plastic grocery bags, they should regulate plastic coffee pod waste too. :duck:

However, now that I can get and fill reusable pods, I'm all for it. I have to get up at 4:30am tomorrow and the simplicity of just popping in a pod and pressing the button instead of measuring out a scoop is lovely. 🥰

when people ask what I want as a gift, I always tell them coffees, gourmet olive oils, etc. I love getting a pound of holiday blend or something flavored once in a while. Especially since I only buy cheapo house brands myself.

Do you have to tell them to get certain types of coffee? Or do you just like it all? I don't care for dark French roast. Too bitter for me. I'd be afraid that's all anyone would gift me. :lmao:

Do you have to tell them to get certain types of coffee? Or do you just like it all? I don't care for dark French roast. Too bitter for me. I'd be afraid that's all anyone would gift me. :lmao:
I feel like variety packs are best for gifts when you don't know someone's taste. While there are dark roast, or medium roast collections and flavored ones there are ones that incorporate a few of each so if someone has something that is a no go it's usually only a few wastage.

French Roast is very bold of a flavor. I like dark roasts but would not want to drink French Roast everyday.

I like flavored coffee. I like Grand Kaffee. I get it from marshalls/homegoods/TJs. They have ground and also K cups. For my cappuccino maker I get Illy.

I drink a lot of coffee, but I don't think my palate is too discriminating - although I do know and appreciate it when I sip a good cup vs the stuff I swill. lol. I'm more of a " try anything" person when it comes to different coffees- it's usually how I find things I love. But it's true that super strong/super dark is not my jam either.

I still have yet to own a grinder - or any fancy coffee machine/pod type setup. Most of what I drink is old school store brand ground, run through a cheapo, old Mr. Coffee drip. Waiting for the machine to break, so I can justify an upgrade. I won't buy something new if the old version still works. :-)

I'm not a big coffee drinker. But I do enjoy from Starbucks a Venti sized, Iced caramel macchiato, with toffee nut instead of vanilla, and upside down. LOL

Most of what I drink is old school store brand ground, run through a cheapo, old Mr. Coffee drip. Waiting for the machine to break, so I can justify an upgrade. I won't buy something new if the old version still works. :-)

Yep, that was me until my drip coffeemaker just died. It was on my second Black & Decker "Brew 'N Go" single (big) cup maker too. Each lasted me well over a decade. But, as I'm getting older, and these super-early mornings of work now and then seem to get harder to get up at these ungodly hours, popping in a pod and pressing a button for coffee seems all I can do now.

BTW, the Walmart brand Mainstays dual brew coffee maker with the pod and drip options is only $20! When you are ready for a new maker you might think about this one. (I've only had it 3 mornings. My opinion may change later. Then it would be back to another B&D "Brew 'N Go.")

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Single-Serve-Dual-Brew-Coffee-Black/772125593

What sold me on it was the YouTube review:

Oh, and the model I got included a sealed lid on the drip basket. A main point of a lot of the negative reviews was that people accidentally filled the basket too full and grounds overflowed everywhere. But this new lid on the basket even has a rubber O-ring sealing the inside of the basket, so grounds can't spill out. Seems I got one of the newer models. You can see it in the photo I linked to for the coffeemaker.

I did my normal 1-1/2 scoops for a 14 oz cup of coffee and it worked fine. I did notice some coffee grounds on the top of the inside of the lid. But they all stayed inside. And the coffee was perfect. 🥰

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: shh
I feel like variety packs are best for gifts when you don't know someone's taste. While there are dark roast, or medium roast collections and flavored ones there are ones that incorporate a few of each so if someone has something that is a no go it's usually only a few wastage.

French Roast is very bold of a flavor. I like dark roasts but would not want to drink French Roast everyday.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that they'd only include a few of each type of roasts to minimize what doesn't get liked.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that they'd only include a few of each type of roasts to minimize what doesn't get liked.
This is the Maud's variety pack I've found I like the most though I've had other variety packs that were good too in the past. They number it based on roast level and there are a few flavored in there.

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Lover...pd_rd_i=B07WXLGR33&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i

Sometimes there's a random k-cup in there, sometimes 4 of one variety but only 2 of another one but generally they get it pretty good in keeping the variety level up.

They have a 56 count one that has more dark roasts in there that I may try sometime as it has an Ethiopian blend and Sumatra blend I'm thinking of trying out.

I currently use my Nespresso Original Line every morning, so it is a strong espresso style coffee. There are many different options, but I usually buy Starbucks or Peets Nespresso capsules. Right now I am enjoying Starbucks Pikes Place Nespresso capsules, so a medium roast and intensity. I brew two capsules at the largest cup size which makes about an 8 ounce cup.

If going with regular ground or whole bean, I like Peets Major Dickanson's Blend.

I buy Eight O’Clock Decaf K Cups. I remember being a little kid in our local A&P grocery stores. At the end of each cash register aisle they had a coffee grinder. You would bring up a bag of Eight O’Clock whole beans and they would grind it right there for you. It smelled so good, throughout the store! It’s probably one of my earliest and fondest memories. I liked to shop for that reason, and couldn’t wait till check out!

1667354171870.jpeg

I also buy Dunkin’ Donuts K Cups because, well, it’s a local thing (that we do). DS enjoys Kona so I buy those too, if I see them.

I also keep a bag of Eight O’Clock ground in the freezer for if we lose power. I keep a little percolator on hand and can make it on our gas stove (lighting it with a match). Nothing’s worse than not being able to make coffee on a cold morning with no power. 😩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter