• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Favorite Back Pack - and what do you have in it?

tracylynnhare

Earning my ears, again! Lol, Haven't been on here
We haven't been to disney in **gulp** eight years. Last time my DD was 10, she is now, well, I guess you can all add, 18 :D. It is her graduation trip and long awaited!! We have turned it into a family trip of 11 folks (YOWZA) and a couple of them are grandchildren (both 8 year old boys), so I am still going to be toting a backpack. So.... what is your favorite backpack!?!? What do you pack in it?? I am guessing some water bottles and some snacks, but what?? I am also finishing up phase 3 of a diet that I have been doing, so I will be packing some snacks (try to be healthy, nuts, etc), but I want some ideas!! With 11 people, we won't be buying a lot of Mickey Bars or Pretzels like we did when DD was the only one on the trip!! Love the blended family, but the budget is much different this trip :P

The bag I carry is almost a backpack, but not quite: http://www.baggallini.com/backpacks/messenger-bagg/MES160-BG.html#sz=12&start=34
It rides at the small of my back. I barely notice I have it on.

I do carry quite a lot in it too: Ponchos, kleenex, asthma meds, lip balm, sunscreen, wallet, cell phone, granola bars, battery charger, mole skin, mints. And I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.
Really!? That sure does sound like a lot, too! I'm contemplating what sort of backpack to carry with me on this trip, so this should be a fun thread. :)

Really!? That sure does sound like a lot, too! I'm contemplating what sort of backpack to carry with me on this trip, so this should be a fun thread. :)
I've been wondering about this too. Last time I went (4 years ago) everyone had those string backpacks in my group. They were lightweight but it sure drove me nuts not being able to find anything quickly and having to take it completely off every time you needed to access something. I've been looking at that Baggalini messenger bag… But I've never worn anything like that before so I wondered if it would be comfortable.

The bag I carry is almost a backpack, but not quite: http://www.baggallini.com/backpacks/messenger-bagg/MES160-BG.html#sz=12&start=34
It rides at the small of my back. I barely notice I have it on.

I do carry quite a lot in it too: Ponchos, kleenex, asthma meds, lip balm, sunscreen, wallet, cell phone, granola bars, battery charger, mole skin, mints. And I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

I have to admit, I like my backpack better. I really wanted to like the Baggallini messenger, but mine tries to slide up my back and over my shoulder anytime I bend over from the waist, even just to lean down a bit to my kids. The problem may be me - I want to wear it sitting at my lower back/hips, not mid-back, so maybe I'm wearing it with the strap too loose. Or maybe I've got too much junk stuffed in it! I was impressed with how much you can put in it and it had enough pockets and compartments for me to sort our stuff a little. The little zipper pocket in the strap was nice too.

I use a Vera Bradley Lighten Up backpack.
http://www.verabradley.com/product/...Content+Type:product)&Ntt=Lighten+up+backpack
They make a couple different sizes, and it has enough pockets/zippers/compartments that I can organize and find out stuff easily.

I have preschool age children, so what I carry in our backpack may be different than what you'll need :) But general items are a couple bottles water, snacks, travel hand sanitizer, travel wet wipe pack, autograph book, sharpies, few first aid items in a ziplock bag (Tylenol, antacids, couple band aids, benedryl - because I'm paranoid about unanticipated allergic reactions), portable cell charger, chapstick.

I just take my good ol' Jansport from college. One section is for first aid type stuff, one for food, and one for ponchos and/or fleece pullovers (depending on the time of year). DH and I take turns carrying it; if i used a girly bag, I'd be on my own :D

I just take my good ol' Jansport from college. One section is for first aid type stuff, one for food, and one for ponchos and/or fleece pullovers (depending on the time of year). DH and I take turns carrying it; if i used a girly bag, I'd be on my own :D

Ha! So do I, although now we switch between that one and DH's college backpack. We carry our wallets, camera and cell phones, sunglasses, sunscreen and chapstick, wipes and sanitizer, some first aid items, medicines, autograph stuff, 1 or 2 water bottles, and some snacks for the kids. We're adding ponchos this go round after getting caught in the rain at DLR. Oh and most of that is in a bunch of ziploc plastic bags so (1) it's protected on water rides and (2) we can find what we need easily.

Most days I carry a sling style bag I've had for years. I've seen recommendations here on the Dis for this sling and might buy a new one for our next trip. It's very similar to mine.
http://www.amazon.com/WATERFLY-Pack...e&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_53&smid=A2S194P65JT717

I like that it's easy to slip to my front for some rides, but small enough to stow at my feet or in a mesh holder bag for other rides.

I carry some first aid stuff (advil, bandaids, moleskin, pepto tabs), small pack of tissues, some empty ziplocks, my phone, a small pack of wipes, and a cold water bottle for everyone to start out the day with (we will dispose of these and then drink free ice water for the rest of the day). There would likely be an autograph book and sharpie in it too. I have a sunscreen and hand sanitizer 'clip on' that's on the outside of the bag.

As far as snacks - things like granola bars, nuts and maybe some fruit in a plastic container (grapes or apple slices). The bag starts out fairly full but by 11am the water bottles and fruit are gone and they are the heaviest and most bulky items to haul around. I sometimes carry a drink concentrate to flavor the ice water but in reality it's rarely used as we've not found one we like a whole lot. But if your group likes them then they can be handy to have and since they are small they are easy to haul.

Depending on our plans for the day I might have a change of socks for those in our family that are wearing shoes with socks, lol. Sounds odd, but if we are pulling a whole day (opening to closing) without a hotel break, a mid afternoon sock change seems to give them (forgive the pun) a spring in their step. This is where one of the extra ziplocks come in handy ;)

I carry a Ful sling pack in a neutral color so my husband will carry it too! It's about a third the size of a traditional backpack. In it I carry 4 ponchos, sunscreen, a small travel wallet, 2-3 cell phones and an external charger with two different cords, a small hairbrush, lip balm, a small first aid kit, a few granola bars in case of a hunger meltdown, two autograph books, 2 pens, and enough room to stow 3-4 pairs of sunglasses on certain rides.

LOL I read a PP talk about a Vera Bradley pack and I shook my head like, "I might as well just take my Jansport if it's gonna look like that!" And lo and behold, I see your comment. Bueno.

I prefer my baggalini messenger over a true backpack because I can sling it around to my side when I get on rides. I don't have to take it off, I can usually buckle up right over it.

I got the baggalini messenger before our 2014 trip. It just didn't fit me well (I'm 5'3 and petite), so it wasn't comfortable and it couldn't hold sweaters so I didn't take it to the parks everyday because the days with cooler mornings I needed to bring a regular backpack for the sweaters once it warmed up.

This Eddie Bauer backpack is our favorite. Right now it's only showing up in pink, but it will come back in five or six other colors eventually. They just had their big sale, so that's probably why the inventory is low right now. If you catch the sale early, you can get a neutral color and still only pay $15. They do a few times a year.

I love all of the pockets (especially the side pockets), and the rings on the front are useful too (just remember to attach a couple of carabiners before you leave, they're great for holding shopping bags or water bottles with a strap). I love that my husband will carry it too (we got a gray one). And it folds up into it's own little pouch for storage when you're not using it!

Oops and forgot about the "what do you have in it" part of your question! In that backpack we carry a Brita water bottle, a gallon ziplock of diapers, wipes, and diaper cream, a gallon ziplock of snacks and disposable placemats for the baby, another gallon ziplock of a change of clothes for the baby, a sandwich-size ziplock with bandaids, neosporin and safety pins, mints, tissues, hand sanitizer, a mini gold bond powder, and a pill case with imodium, lactaid, pepto, and advil. Plus if it's going to be chilly in the morning or at night, we can usually fit a sweatshirt or two in as well! It fits quite a lot.

LOL I read a PP talk about a Vera Bradley pack and I shook my head like, "I might as well just take my Jansport if it's gonna look like that!" And lo and behold, I see your comment. Bueno.

To be fair, a big reason I use Vera (or anything else brightly colored) is so that my family can pick me out of a crowd. I am notoriously bad at picking out anyone I know in a crowd - I will literally stare right at my husband without seeing him and walk on, still looking. If they don't actively find me, I become the equivalent of a lost child.

Plus, my college backpack was my leftover high school backpack - that thing was wore slap out by the time I got through grad school! :crazy2:

To be fair, a big reason I use Vera (or anything else brightly colored) is so that my family can pick me out of a crowd. I am notoriously bad at picking out anyone I know in a crowd - I will literally stare right at my husband without seeing him and walk on, still looking. If they don't actively find me, I become the equivalent of a lost child.

Plus, my college backpack was my leftover high school backpack - that thing was wore slap out by the time I got through grad school! :crazy2:
Oh no, no! It was the general Jansport-y look that made me giggle, nothing more. I think it's a fantastic idea to find something that will help others identify where you are if they happen to need you. On my backpack I have a TARDIS hanging from the loop at the top for easy identification, too. So, I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Oh no, no! It was the general Jansport-y look that made me giggle, nothing more. I think it's a fantastic idea to find something that will help others identify where you are if they happen to need you. On my backpack I have a TARDIS hanging from the loop at the top for easy identification, too. So, I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Ha! I wasn't taking offense or anything :P But it did remind me that mentioning my "lost child syndrome" might be useful info when thinking about backpacks, bags, etc. The Baggallini I mentioned is a retina-melting dayglo yellow-green. Probably not everyone is as challenged as me, though.:rolleyes1

If I put a TARDIS on my backpack, my husband would be like "what's up with the telephone box?" He's challenged too.

Ha! I wasn't taking offense or anything :P But it did remind me that mentioning my "lost child syndrome" might be useful info when thinking about backpacks, bags, etc. The Baggallini I mentioned is a retina-melting dayglo yellow-green. Probably not everyone is as challenged as me, though.:rolleyes1

If I put a TARDIS on my backpack, my husband would be like "what's up with the telephone box?" He's challenged too.
LOL XD

I have the waterfly sling pack and a lightweight back pack. We plan to do water, sunscreen, ponchos, bandaids, moleskin, Neosporin, advil, lactaid, a few snacks and a small wallet, 2nd battery for cellphone.
Oh and a small bottle of bubbles to entertain kids in line if necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter