Fastpass Plus is doing its job

The entire thing was designed to sell the new $300/person "Day of Ultimate Thrills" VIP 'tour' or whatever. ;-)

I jest. But overall I'm still split on my opinion. I miss SSE being walk-on. But I don't miss the running of the bulls each morning.

I agree, it is doing its job. I fear that the whole system is hurtling those of us in "the know". I feel like the old walk on attractions time losses more than outweigh the benefit for the headliners. It has drastically changed the way we will likely tour the park (to be fair I have not yet experienced FP+ first hand) I do feel that this does help Disney manage their crowds better and helps the uninformed guests have a better overall experience, but it is probably leading to longer overall waiting for those of us who plan every last detail.

It also hurts those of us who might often prefer the less popular, older rides. I can easily skip TSMM and Soarin' but I can't do without the Haunted Mansion and Pirates. So now I can get on rides I don't care that much about more easily but it takes longer to ride those that used to be easy. I could just get FP+ for the older favorite rides of course...

I do see the bonus of not having to be a fastpass runner (since that was always my job!!!) I will not miss the speedwalk sprint of soarin' to test track at Epcot. BUT, it does require an adjustment in attitudes for my kids - particularly at the parks with tiered attractions. For our upcoming trip I've already had a talk with them about lines and how we cannot get a RRC FP+ at DHS and so my eldest is going to have to play it by ear there, etc.

I think it will eventually work out ok. I think those of us who knew how to play the old Fastpass game will probably miss the simplicity of that (if not the running!). BUT, it is kinda nice to know ahead of time that yep, we have a FP for Space Mtn and it's at such-and-such time, etc.

I think there are some pretty good pros to this system right now, especially at the MK. With the ability of more then 3 fp+, no tiering, and being able to select down to the hour that you want to ride something is PDG to me, and the way I like to plan. We also love the classics, not multiple headline coaster riders, so it will be interesting to see if we can navigate this issue on our upcoming trip. I have a strategy in place, will have to see if it works. I am convinced however, that it is going to be way easier to maximize the fp+ system this trip, then our next trip, which is at least one or two years away.

The big issue for Disney is this: (in my opinion) look at the other three parks and the poor/crap selections that are available for prebooking, and with so few using the system now, they ALREADY have had to introduce tiering. This absolutely hilights how out of date, run down, and neglected these three parks are. At epcot, there is no useful 3rd selection already. Imagine when a larger percentage of the population gets on board, and getting a soarin or test track fast pass is the same as trying to get a/e at MK? imagine if you cant get either on any day, and have to select ms/ se/ and nemo?

And, there is nothing in the works to improve this theme park. Epcot has been able to get away with this before, because it was more about the atmosphere, or special events, but with fp+, the lack of actual worthwhile attractions are glaring. (think about this. Disney has been selling epcot to adults, with food and wine, world showcase, flower and garden, and things like that. It cant sell epcot with the fp system, can it, especially when it gets to be impossible to get one of the two major headliners. Will this turn off the general public? I dont know, they may not know that the fast passes available are worthless. The savvy user will though.)

This system, which was brilliant marketing, may actually force Disney to spend money on attractions, especially at epcot. Unless they think of a way to fast pass special events.... hmm....or do a cheap and mini makeover like the new A/E stuff at HS. How long does it take Disney to imagine, plan, create, and open a new attraction? Many years. Nothing that I have heard of is in the works for this theme park. At the other two theme parks, we have avatar for sure, already started I guess, and Star Wars at the studios - but I dont think anything has started yet? Still planning? Regardless, we are talking several years down the road before stuff actually comes on line. By the time it does, this fp+ system is going to be screaming for viable attractions at these parks.

This post has wandered all over the place, but I guess my point is this. Having used the 'pre booking' portion of the fp+ system, the thing that stands out to me: MK is going to be able to take the crowds when the majority of people are online using the system. The other three parks will have varying degrees of difficulty, epcot most notably will be a disaster in a year or less, with no apparent relief on its way. AK is getting some help, but will it be in time. HS is not in a horrible position right now, and Star Wars could knock it out of the park, but how long before its available? And, most importantly, this fp+ system is announcing to the general public how out of date the theme parks are with interesting attractions, or new attractions, or even NUMBER of attractions. Even if someone has never gone to WDW, but they are booking fp online, dont you think that they will read the description or glance at the thrill level of an attraction? Who wants to spend 500 bucks a day and get 'living with the land' qualtiy of attractions?

The internet givith, and the internet can taketh away....
Happy Canada Day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter