Fastpass + and Child Swap

icesk8abc

Mouseketeer
I was a champion at making the most of paper fastpass and child swap. This will be the first time visiting with FP+ and a child too short for several headliners.

How does this work?

Tell the CM you need to use Child Swap. They will ask you to scan your Magic Band (if you are using FP+) and you will be given a paper FP ticket to be used in the next 3-4 days.

Does this mean that we can use the FP + for the second adult on something else?

When they did paper tickets, we could do the following:
Get Space Mountain FP with Dad and son's tickets
Get Big Thunder FP with Mom and daughter tickets (even though daughter is too little to ride)
Get baby swap pass at each
Mom and Dad get to ride both rides, son rides each twice

Is this still viable?

The rules for rider switch have not changed except that you now need a fp+ for the people riding first rather than the old fp.

Tell the CM you need to use Child Swap. They will ask you to scan your Magic Band (if you are using FP+) and you will be given a paper FP ticket to be used in the next 3-4 days.
I'm not sure I understand. First of all, is this only for kids who are too short to ride? My girls are 11 and 15 but my 11 yo is a chicken. DH and 15 yo DD have FP for ToT. I don't. Can they do ToT and then DH stay with 11 yo DD and then I can go right on with 15 yo again? Or do I get the paper FP to be used in 3-4 days? We don't plan to go to DHS more than that one day so being able to come back in the next 3-4 days does not help.

I'm not sure I understand. First of all, is this only for kids who are too short to ride? My girls are 11 and 15 but my 11 yo is a chicken. DH and 15 yo DD have FP for ToT. I don't. Can they do ToT and then DH stay with 11 yo DD and then I can go right on with 15 yo again? Or do I get the paper FP to be used in 3-4 days? We don't plan to go to DHS more than that one day so being able to come back in the next 3-4 days does not help.
You can use the Rider Swap ticket anytime once it is issued...it usually expires at the end of the month (We were there June 19th and ours expired June 30th), so you don't HAVE to use it immediately, but you can.

An exception would be when we did Dinosaur and Mission Space...there were no lines, so instead of issuing an actual paper rider swap thing, the attendant just said something like "I'll remember you." So, in essence, we had to immediately switch riders. (However, there was still no line when the first group came out).

Sorry, I didn't see the first part of your post. I believe it generally is only issued for height restrictions. But I think the wording on the policy is strange. My kids were two years old, so I don't have any experience getting a rider swap based on someone being afraid of the ride.

A rider switch pass can be used immediately but you have the option of using it later if you want. People have reported different times for how long they're good for. Ours have always been good until the end of whatever month we are there.

There is great debate on the Dis as to whether a too tall child qualifies for a switch pass. The Disney website says they do. We've done it, but with a much younger child who qualified in height. Others say it's not allowed.

Generally speaking it is very difficult if not impossible to get child swap for kids who could ride but won't. But there are mixed experiences on here for that

Generally speaking it is very difficult if not impossible to get child swap for kids who could ride but won't. But there are mixed experiences on here for that

It's not impossible- we did it on one trip a couple of times with no problem and nothing was said. They asked which person wasn't riding, we pointed to the child and that was it. No measuring, no discussion.

I just read on Disney website that it can be used if the child simply doesn't want to ride.

I just read on Disney website that it can be used if the child simply doesn't want to ride.

That's what it says, but some people here will tell you that the issue of whether you can get one or not is up to the CM at the ride and that the website is just wrong. My opinion is I don't care how the CM's are trained nor should I even know those details. I expect them to follow what they put in print and that's how it worked for us.

That's what it says, but some people here will tell you that the issue of whether you can get one or not is up to the CM at the ride and that the website is just wrong. My opinion is I don't care how the CM's are trained nor should I even know those details. I expect them to follow what they put in print and that's how it worked for us.
I agree.

I'll try to find it on the website and maybe print it out and carry it with me to show a CM. In a nice way!! Don't wanna be rude! (But I'd also like to ride some of the thrill rides and I'm sure older dd would love to ride twice in a row) I just don't feel comfortable with letting my 11 yo daughter stand by herself if DH, DD and I all wanna ride together.

I'll try to find it on the website and maybe print it out and carry it with me to show a CM. In a nice way!! Don't wanna be rude! (But I'd also like to ride some of the thrill rides and I'm sure older dd would love to ride twice in a row) I just don't feel comfortable with letting my 11 yo daughter stand by herself if DH, DD and I all wanna ride together.

While I never had to push the issue, I too had read on these boards that I'd have trouble. My plan was simply to ask for the pass and if denied, politely ask for a supervisor at the ride- they're always there. I had the website link saved if I needed it. But, it never came to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter