FAQ about the Disney Dining Plan

jenndisney

DIS Veteran
I put this together myself to try to answer some of the more common questions about the new Dining Plan. If you see I have missed a question, please post it and someone will answer it for you. If you notice that I have given some incorrect or unclear information, please PM me and I will update the thread.

:earsboy: From the Disney Web Site: (current as of May 20, 2005)

Disney Dining Plan
Experience over 100 selected Walt Disney World® restaurants including our legendary Disney Character Dining. For each night on your package, you enjoy:
1 table-service meal including appetizer, entree, dessert, and nonalcoholic beverage and gratuity charge
1 counter-service meal including entree, dessert and nonalcoholic beverage at select counter-service locations
1 snack, such as a frozen ice cream bar, box of popcorn, 20 oz bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dasani water or a medium fountain soft drink at select snack cart locations
As an added benefit, you may exchange 2 table-service meals for either 1 Signature Dining Experience at one of our finest restaurants, such as the acclaimed California Grill or for 1 Disney Dinner Show, such as Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue.
Children age 3-9 must order from the Children's Menu if available.

Here is the link to the brochure from Disney about the package. It has the most current list of restaurants on the plan.

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...gespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/MYWDining.pdf

or try this link:

http://allearsnet.com/pl/packages05a.htm

:flower: Now, for some of the more common questions about the plan. :flower:

How much does the plan cost?
It is $35 for adults and $10 for children 3-9 years old. This is the cost per night of stay.

Do I have to stay onsite?
Yes, you must be staying at a Disney hotel and book a package.

Is this the same as the DDE card I keep reading about?
No, it is not the same thing. The Disney Dining Experience card gives you a 20% discount at most Table Service restaurants.
Here is a great thread that explains DDE: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=819460

How many credits do I get?
The number of credits you receive is based on the number of nights you are staying at the resort. You must at least purchase a basic one day ticket, but you do not have to purchase a ticket that matches the number of nights you are staying.

Can I still get my AP or other discounts?
As of today, you must pay rack rate for the room, unless you book your entire package with AAA. There have been some reports of people getting to use their pin codes (not public ones) and add the dining plan. If you are unsure, call Disney directly and ask.

Can I share meals?
Yes, you can share the meals unless they are from a buffet or all you can eat.

Can I pay for my child’s meal and save his/her TS/CS credits for another day?
Yes, you can. You will be given a separate ticket with tax. You will need to tip for this ticket as it is not figured into what the server will be tipped from the dining plan.

Why would you want to do this? (Question from another poster)
AngieInOH said:
No expert here but this is my take on it. Basically all your credits go into one pot, you get X amount of counter X amount sit down and X amount of snacks. So if you wanted to get the most out of your buck it might be worth buying your childs meal (because it's cheaper) and using the CR for an extra sit down, or for a sit down that takes 2 credits. Thus you could pay $7 cash for a childs meal and use his/her credit for a meal that might cost $25. Hope this makes sense!

Is the tip really included? What percent do they give the server? Can I tip more?
Yes, the tip and tax are included. It has been reported that the server receives 15% at most restaurants and 18% at a few. They receive the tip on the total of the bill, so they are willing to show you how to best use the plan because it increases their tip. And yes, you can tip your server additional $$$ and may be a great thing to do for wonderful service.

Is the package a good deal?
The answer to this question depends on you and your family. You need to determine how much you save doing your trip with and without the plan. For some, it is a better deal to get the discounts, but for others, the food expense is greater than the amount saved. You need to review the list of participating restaurants and try to set up a sample meal plan for your trip. Make sure to include all your snacks, drinks, tax and tip. Try to compare apples to apples. Make out your list showing where you would eat if on the plan. Then compare where you would eat if not on the plan, but were still able to eat what you wanted. Then compare that with how you would eat if Disney did not have this plan at all.
goodferry said:
Those who are considering using the MYW dining plan and are not sure if it will save them money should look at the menus at www.allearsnet.com to see the prices of what they would normally order to help them decide, this is what we did and that's what convinced us the plan was a good deal for us.

Does my child still get an appetizer and dessert if they order from the child’s menu?
Yes they do. If there is not one on the kid’s menu, they can order from the adult’s menu. This was told to me by two different CM's when I called and has also been reported on the boards by numerous people.

What if I go offsite for the day, do I loose my credits?
No you do not loose them. They are for the entire trip. You could, in theory, save all your snack credits and use them on your last day.

Is there a special menu we must order from?
No, you order from the regular restaurant menu.

Isn’t this a lot of food? Is it still cost effective if we do not order/eat the appetizer or dessert?
Each family needs to determine if it is cost effective for them. You do not have to order the appetizer or dessert. If you are too full, then don’t. Many families have reported that they ordered a dessert they could take with them to the park, such as a muffins or cookies.

Doesn’t this plan force me to stick to a schedule?
You can look at it that way, but others like knowing that they have a reservation made at a certain restaurant for a certain time. You can always call and cancel the reservation when you are on site and change your mind.

If I order my meal, but do not get dessert, can I order it later?
No. Once your ticket has been processed, you loose that credit. --updated-- It has been reported that some people have had their ticket stamped that allowed them to return to the restaurant later for their dessert. I am not sure if this is the norm, or just an isolated case. I will update this as we learn more.

Do I have to make Priority Seating arrangements for all my Table Service meals?
No you do not HAVE to, but for many/most of the restaurants it is a good idea. If you have your heart set on eating at a special place, make the reservation so you know you have a spot. You can walk up the day you are in the park and put yourself on the walkup list, but you may have a long wait. You also do not have to tell them you are on the dining plan when you make the reservation.

Does the family have to eat together, or can we split up?
The way I understand it, the credits are put on all the cards, so you can split up and eat. They are subtracted the same way as if you were all eating together. So, Mom and daughter can go to one place, and Dad and son can head to another and eat at the same time. Or the kids can ditch the parents and eat what they want.

Here is a link for those who want help with the planning of their meals (thanks Robinb)
robinb said:
I came up with an Excel Spreadsheet MYM Dining Planner to help me use my MYM Dining Credits. It tracks the total number of Counter Service and Table Service Credits, each meal for every day of the plan (up to 11, the maximum), the restaurants for each meal and how many credits used for each meal. It then calculates how many credits you have remaining so you can adjust your meal schedule to use all your credits.

It's here:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rb/DIS/MYM-Dining-Planner.xls

You are welcome to copy, download or change it for your own use. The spreadsheet is protected so the fields that are calculated wouldn't be accidentally overwritten, but it doesn't have a password so you can unprotect it if you wish.

Enjoy :).

Hopefully this will help to answer some of the questions that keep popping up about the plan. As with anything, you will need to determine if it is the best choice for you and your family. Have a great time planning :wizard:

Great job! That should answer all the ????? everyone has. Still wondering about Ohana's dessert though.

Thank you !!!! We really needed this. Can this become a sticky thread? :bounce: :Pinkbounc

jenndisney said:
Does my child still get an appetizer and dessert if they order from the child’s menu?
Yes they do. If there is not one on the kid’s menu, they can order from the adult’s menu.
Hi Jenn,

Where did you get this info? I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Thanks!

ceecee said:
Great job! That should answer all the ????? everyone has. Still wondering about Ohana's dessert though.
What are you wondering? Might be able to help as we used the plan there.

Great thread, jenn!! :wizard:

Atotty said:
jenndisney said:
Yes they do. If there is not one on the kid’s menu, they can order from the adult’s menu.
Hi Jenn,

Where did you get this info? I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Thanks!

i can say that this is what happened with us at coral reef last week - kids got to order adult apps.

one other thing about adding the tip when you pay for a meal - for us it was added. on 2 occasions we paid for a kids meal (to save the TS) and on the liquor portion of a check they added the tip already on each occurence -- so please check first before tipping again. i was quite suprised to see the tip already added to the check.

I read on the boards that the pineapple/caramel is the desert option at OHana's and that you can no longer order from the menu.

Why would you want to purchase your child's meal and save the credit? How do the CMs in the restaraunts know you have the dinning plan? Is it correct that kids under 3 eat free. If so is it at all places? Thanks

Someone a few days ago did a wonderful post on their experience with dining. she listed each meal, what they ordered, what was paid for by cash, how many credits they spent and what it would have cost them. I'm trying to find that post again, I'm sure its here somewhere....
Anyway, I know that's a huge effort, but for anyone else who has already used dining option, could you give specific examples, that would be wonderfully helpful! Especially examples of either sharing, or paying for partial (kids meal?) and using credits.

The one other comment I read (may have been the same thread) is to check your receipts after each charge, one person reported incorrect billings several times, but each time was able to fix it with either the waiter or the resort front desk, never a problem.
Thanks in advance to all of you dining veterans, those of us who are obsessing about how these work appreciate all of these wonderful posts.

mcgrawfan said:
Why would you want to purchase your child's meal and save the credit? How do the CMs in the restaraunts know you have the dinning plan? Is it correct that kids under 3 eat free. If so is it at all places? Thanks

No expert here but this is my take on it. Basically all your credits go into one pot, you get X amount of counter X amount sit down and X amount of snacks. So if you wanted to get the most out of your buck it might be worth buying your childs meal (because it's cheaper) and using the CR for an extra sit down, or for a sit down that takes 2 credits. Thus you could pay $7 cash for a childs meal and use his/her credit for a meal that might cost $25. Hope this makes sense!

AngieInOH said:

that's exactly right... that's what we did so we can eat at coral reef-- where lunch would have cost us $189!

We are staying at Pop how do we know which foods are considered snacks? Is there a list? Would items like ceral, dounut, or cheesecake be one?
Thanks

ceecee said:
I read on the boards that the pineapple/caramel is the desert option at OHana's and that you can no longer order from the menu.
Interesting. We used the dining plan in January and we each got our own dessert as well as the pineapple with caramel. :crowded: It seems to me the pineapple is part of the meal and should not be considered dessert. At Ohana they take great pride in their desserts and usually show you a sample of them as you enter the restaurant. I really doubt there would be any problem ordering your own desserts using the plan. You could always call the restaurant manager and ask but again, I doubt this is the case.

This couldn't have come at a better time for me. Thanks so much - we got the email with the MYW dining free and are seriously considering a trip and I knew virtually nothing about the MYW dining so this has been a tremendous help!

:wave2: One question; I thought that I had read on the codes and discounts board that some people have been able to add the dining plan when using an email discount offer, is this the case? I
I was the one who posted about the dessert at 'Ohana. We have friends that ate there Tuesday night on the plan and ordered dessert, when the check came they were informed that the pineapple and caramel dipping sauce was the dessert included in the plan and that the other desserts were extra and that this was a recent change in their policy. I don't know if they had a misinformed server or if this is the case.
edited to add: Thanks for starting this thread, this should help people a lot who are considering the plan!
Those who are considering using the MYW dining plan and are not sure if it will save them money should look at the menus at www.allearsnet.com to see the prices of what they would normally order to help them decide, this is what we did and that's what convinced us the plan was a good deal for us.

:confused3 I saw on a site that there is a new list of snacks for the dining plan. Could anyone tell me what is included? Is the main street bakery pastries considered a snack or a counter meal?? :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

goodferry said:
I was the one who posted about the dessert at 'Ohana. We have friends that ate there Tuesday night on the plan and ordered dessert, when the check came they were informed that the pineapple and caramel dipping sauce was the dessert included in the plan and that the other desserts were extra and that this was a recent change in their policy. I don't know if they had a misinformed server or if this is the case.
It would be interesting to pose this question as its own thread and see what the experiences are of others who have recently used the dining plan at Ohana. I would think there would be a lot of angry people if that were to be the case. What happens if you don't like pineapple or caramel? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter