Fantasmic Hollywood and Vine or 50's???

Jms81

Earning My Ears
We will be at Hollywood Studios Saturday Feb 4. Really want to see Fantasmic and have booked the package at Hollywood and Vine. We really enjoyed 50's Prime Time on our last trip though. The kids enjoy characters but I have read so many conflicting reviews on H&V. Any input would be appreciated. We have the dining plan. Also when does the menu change at H&V after the holidays?

We've done H&V F! lunch twice and we love it. Service has always been great (our server this past September was one of the best servers I've had at Disney). The food has always been great too. I don't have any complaints over it.

We have been to both and like them equally. Two different experiences with different food options. One is a buffet and the other a sit down (as you know). Typical buffet foods like salad, pasta, chicken, beef, and fish. My little one loves the characters so we pick there, typically, before the other place. Good food and love the Disney Jr. characters.

I love 50's. Have eaten there many times. Always wonderful. I ate at H & V this past September for the first time. I stayed away because of the reviews. I went to Minnie's Halloween party or whatever it was called. It was amazing. I loved the characters, the food, the desserts and the service. I will return. I would go with whatever your budget allows you.

Is it a lunch or dinner meal? Just asking because lunch had Disney Jr. characters, and dinner has Minnie's Dine(we did Holiday in Dec, but it changes theme w/season). We really enjoyed the character interaction at dinner w/Minnie, Mickey, Donald, & Daisy in their holiday best, and pic w/Santa Goofy - not sure of Feb theme. Food however was just so-so, which is why we had never been before, as kids were not into Disney Jr. characters.

We've been to both. I HATED Hollywood & Vine and will never return. I liked 50's and have now been several times.

I love the food at 50's. Its delish! Although if your kids like the characters at H&V and you've never been, i'd give that a shot. Every restaurant in disney has a bad review. You'll never find a restaurant that didnt. Its best to try for yourself and judge. While 50's food is great, i've noticed that children dont really find the antics amusing. Think about it, being scolded by a stranger when im sure that happens quite often at home...not amusing for them. :lmao: My DS hated it when he was younger. He still doesnt want to go back for that reason. Lol.

We will be at Hollywood Studios Saturday Feb 4. Really want to see Fantasmic and have booked the package at Hollywood and Vine. We really enjoyed 50's Prime Time on our last trip though. The kids enjoy characters but I have read so many conflicting reviews on H&V. Any input would be appreciated. We have the dining plan. Also when does the menu change at H&V after the holidays?
Not going to lie, the food at H&V is not great by any means, however for us, having good seats and not having to stand in line with the sea of ppl. is worth kinda wasting a credit on H&V. Could you do 50's Prime Time for lunch? I guess you could also try to get a fastpass for Fantsmic! (not sure exactly where their seating section is, but still wouldn't have to stand in line etc.)

If you're on the DDP I would do H&V for dinner. I did it in December and I would say the food was "decent." not great, not bad. I have seen reviews saying that it was awful and also saying it was great but I would say it's a bit above average buffet food.

I don't think the food is all that much better at 50's prime time... it is what it is, comfort food, and it's hard to elevate that beyond what it is. It's a bit better because it is made to order but the type of food is not all that different from what you get at H&V. If you want fried chicken they have the fried breast nuggets, not exactly the same but really tasty and hits that fried chicken spot. They have mashed potatoes that are I think the same exact thing, they were really tasty. I am sure they make them in 50 gallon barrels somewhere and distribute them across property, lol. No meatloaf of potroast but meatballs and carved beef, plus a ton of other selections at the buffet. If there's something you don't care for there are plenty of other good choices.

But really I think the food is neck and neck between the two with maybe 50's prime time a bit ahead of H&V. the thing that makes either of them worthwhile is the experience... 50's pt has great theming and if you get a server into the whole schtick it can be fun. H&V has characters and regularly gets reviews for having above average character interaction and this was my experience as well. The reserved seating section for fantasmic is phenomenal. It's a great value on the DDP and not something I would be inclined to pay OOP for because i think it is kind of overpriced... whereas 50's PT is a great value if you are paying OOP (esp since the entrees are so huge you can share) but not so much on DDP.

So for all of those reasons, I would do H&V with F! and save 50's PT for another trip.

BTW I don't think the menu changes tremendously. I think the desserts change more seasonally, and maybe the soup and salads based on what is seasonally available but I think the core menu stays pretty much the same maybe with a few sides switching out.

BTW I don't think the menu changes tremendously. I think the desserts change more seasonally, and maybe the soup and salads based on what is seasonally available but I think the core menu stays pretty much the same maybe with a few sides switching out.

I have been to the Christmas Holiday Dine at H&V and we loved the characters and thought the food was decent, with lots of choices. Has anyone been to both the Halloween themed buffet and also the Christmas buffet? Are the foods pretty similar? We're thinking of doing the Halloween buffet during our October trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter