"Fancy" dinner for unsophisticated palate?

I say California Grill. It's just a really special place. Service is some of the best we have had and they will adjust meals to cater to your taste. It's the one signature we have seen maintain a bit more formal dress code. We have done a lot of the signatures on site and more and more are seeing park attire and loud uncontrolled children. I would never spend the kind of money for V&A if you don't care for upscale Dinning. Even CG can be quite pricey if you are not going to enjoy the food.

If OP is looking to dress up I'd advise making a later reservation assuming the dress code gets a little more formal as the night goes on.. we dined at CG in May at 5:50 PM and I felt a little out of place in my maxi dress and wedges sitting next to a table of 2 women in shorts, tank tops, and flip flops (definitely park attire).

We were seated in the back near the kitchen and it was quite loud.. definitely not what I was expecting for a signature evening. Yachtsman was more upscale than CG in my opinion, but I enjoyed the food more at CG.

I would also suggest going on a weekend evening if you want better dress. In our experience, there seem to be more people on dates on weekend nights.

I think being there for the fireworks is very fancy. Out on the viewing area, sipping something in a fluted glass, watching the show - it's a nice evening that you can't get in many places.

Edited to add - the last time we were there (in May) there were 3 proposals. Which I also think is rather fun.

Last edited:
My sister and I are planning a trip to the World where we, in our words, "pretend we're fancy people", complete with a stay at GF, a long spa day and a fancy dinner where we dress up and everything.

I love this!:flower:
I bet you're fancier than you think.

My sister and I are planning a trip to the World where we, in our words, "pretend we're fancy people", complete with a stay at GF, a long spa day and a fancy dinner where we dress up and everything. The thing is, we (and especially I) have relatively unsophisticated tastes. We had dinner at BOG last year and even that's a bit too fancy for my tastes food wise. We're also not seafood people, which knocks a fair number of restaurants out of the running.

I'm personally just fine with "having dinner" somewhere where I don't eat much, and then get something I like better at a QS or something. Even up to going to V&A's only to eat a burger afterward. It's the experience I'm looking for. SO I'm looking for a decent place my sister would eat at.

What restaurant(s) would you suggest?
Steak & Italian are the first two 'cuisines' that come to mind.

-- You can share one expensive piece of meat and a side of vegetables - because most everything is large portions and will certainly cost extra at a steak house. Yachtsman, Shula's, Boathouse, Capa.

-- Good Italian is going to have plenty of things you're likely familiar eating - pasta. Il Mulino, Citrico's (Itailan-inspired).

-- Buffets can be an appealing alternative for you. 1900 Park Fare is at Grand Floridian (GF) and is 'a hoot' at dinner. You would not be out of place being 'dressed' at GF.

-- CA Grill is a lovely room and you're likely to have lovely service, but even there flat breads have truffle oil and I'm thinking the menu might be too 'exotic' for your tastes. Look at their menu - if something like peaches in your salad sounds appealing, go for it! And believe it or not, many people are not 'dressed' when dining here (and can arrive in what is otherwise Park attire).

-- V&A is an 'extreme experience' for foodies. It is hours of dining that even includes multiple bread courses with butters if varying taste to accompany each; even the water has a menu. You will be overwhelmed. You do not leave hungry. You might not want a greasy burger the next day - fresh fruit seems to be what we graze on after these kinds of meals. The wine-paring can be too much wine, but is excellent 'value'.

If you can get into V&A and don't mind spending the money --- I would do that.

Other fancier options where I've seen lots of people dressed up: California Grill, Citricos, Narcoosees, Artist's Point, Flying Fish
Fancy-ish with less adventurous food: Il Mulino, BlueZoo,

If you aren't adverse to going into a park (and really the only park I can think of with worthwhile "fancy" restaurants is EPCOT): Monsieur Paul, Le Cellier. I also love the vibe at Tutto Gusto, but it's more relaxed than fancy --- I would totally get dressed up and go there to drink wine and eat antipasto.

Last edited:
My sister and I are planning a trip to the World where we, in our words, "pretend we're fancy people", complete with a stay at GF, a long spa day and a fancy dinner where we dress up and everything. The thing is, we (and especially I) have relatively unsophisticated tastes. We had dinner at BOG last year and even that's a bit too fancy for my tastes food wise. We're also not seafood people, which knocks a fair number of restaurants out of the running.

I'm personally just fine with "having dinner" somewhere where I don't eat much, and then get something I like better at a QS or something. Even up to going to V&A's only to eat a burger afterward. It's the experience I'm looking for. SO I'm looking for a decent place my sister would eat at.

What restaurant(s) would you suggest?
If BOG was a bit too fancy for you, food wise, then I think some of the places suggested, so far, might be too fancy for you, too. I think you could easily dress up at the Grand Floridian Cafe (though, your fellow patrons will likely be in shorts and tees). Dressing up at your own hotel is nice because you can return to your room easily to change clothes and go back into the parks. Grand Floridan Cafe has some simpler food items that are excellent in taste. Take a look at the menu, if you are not familiar with it. We celebrated both our 25th anniversary there with a group of 9, along with a custom cake to make it special. Another year, we celebrated my mom's 70th birthday there with a group of 11, again with a custom cake. It is a lovely, Victorian environment with (usually) delicious food.

Thank you all so much for your input. I am really gonna try to convince my sister to try V&A. As expensive as it is, it's an experience I think we'd both love to have. I think Cali Grill would be our 'next' best bet, having taken a look at their menu.
I love this!:flower:
I bet you're fancier than you think.

We're really, really not. I went to Boma and literally got chicken fingers last time I was there. We normally do a Value resort for our 'sister trips', but have always wanted to stay at a deluxe. She'll be starting a new job/career soon, so it seems the perfect time.

il Mulino.

It is Italian. The menu is extensive and who doesn't like Italian food?

Thank you all so much for your input. I am really gonna try to convince my sister to try V&A. As expensive as it is, it's an experience I think we'd both love to have. I think Cali Grill would be our 'next' best bet, having taken a look at their menu.

We're really, really not. I went to Boma and literally got chicken fingers last time I was there. We normally do a Value resort for our 'sister trips', but have always wanted to stay at a deluxe. She'll be starting a new job/career soon, so it seems the perfect time.
V&A is a food experience unlike going to 'just a fancy restaurant' (like CA Grill).

If you are (barely) comfortable spending the (nearly) $1,000 for 2-people with the expectation that 'dinner is theater' - then why not? You could spend the extreme-cash on tickets to a show, athletic event - or an extreme experience that might include jumping from an airplane or deep sea fishing - that can provide a memory for the rest of your life. [Avoid the wine pairing to have a better memory of the evening]

FWIW, when people are on their way to V&A, the Disney Cast Members all (assume they) know where you are going, as they smile at people is non-Resort attire of fancy dresses & jacket-n-tie....like watching the Bride & Groom entering the lobby of the Holiday Inn....makes folks feels special even before the very personal service at V&A....

Since you're staying at GF, have you considered a private dining experience there? We've never done it but I understand the menu is highly customizable -- since it's just your party -- and the cost is comparable to V&A. It even includes your own private butler for the meal. Definitely a "fancy" night!! Maybe someone who has done it can add a bit more info.

I don't know that Ohana is "fancy", but some dress up & I love the night time vibe at Poly. Near sun down they usually have a fire dancer do the tiki torch lighting ceremony. My son eats simple & it's his favorite.. steak, chicken, welcome bread, bread pudding are what he eats. ..but you will be served several other yummies to try.. noodles, salad, potstickers, etc .. it's also "exotic" I guess to order a drink served in a pineapple (alcoholic or non)

Anyways, after reading the thread, she's all set to "go big or go home" and try V&A.

Thank you all again for the advice!

I hope you go and live it up!!! And if you end up going, I'd love to read about your experiences! I've always wanted to try it, but between my food allergies and my dislike of a few things like mushrooms, I have hesitated. I will be curious to know if the experience of it all is enough to make up for missing out on some of the food.

Cali Grill makes some of the best deviled eggs I have every had. Very traditional. I bet they'd make em for you if contact them ahead of time. If you're into that. I'm a fool for a good deviled egg!

another vote for ca grill. My picky son had a plain steak with a side of kids (housemade) mac and cheese and was in HEAVEN. They will make things more plain for you if you want, and you cannot beat the atmosphere. I like to go right when they open (5pm) because it is quiet, almost empty and unhurried, if you want to see the fireworks from there you can always come back later with receipt.

Since you're staying at GF, have you considered a private dining experience there? We've never done it but I understand the menu is highly customizable -- since it's just your party -- and the cost is comparable to V&A. It even includes your own private butler for the meal. Definitely a "fancy" night!! Maybe someone who has done it can add a bit more info.

This is a brilliant idea. We did it for our 10th anniversary back in 2002. You choose your own menu from lots of options and can order different things from each other. We had dinner on a private balcony facing MK and sipped cocktails while Wishes played :-)
You can dress however you want and no-one else's dress code will spoil your night.
You could always visit a couple of the nicer bars either before or after (although I was so full of food and sleepy afterwards we could hardly make it back to the room!)
Happy to send you our menu to get ideas?

So - please - take the money you would spend at V&A and add it to your spa services. V&A is not simple, basic food. It is a combination of ingredients, years of training and recipes from around the world that deliver unique, "fancy" fine dining. With the money that is left, go to California Grill.

Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge has a comfortable but elegant ambiance. The menu isn't super gourmet. The view is so.pretty. That would be my recommendation. Have a great time whatever you choose.

You should do Victoria and Albert's its as fancy as you can get at Disney. And they will completely rework their menu for your tastes. If you tell them the only thing you like is chicken they'll work with that.
I agree and actually think that a lot of the "fancier" restaurants will probably do almost anything, especially if you call ahead. My vote though has to go to California Grill--it really is my favorite setting for a meal at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter