Family of Five

Gonzjj

Mouseketeer
we would like to stay in property, so we are looking for the best economical option for a family of five at a Disney Resort. Any advice?

Thanks!

POR is usually the cheapest, but with the construction going on at CBR right now, you might get a better deal there...of course then you have to put up with construction so...

For 5 people, you can check out POR, CBR(keep an eye on construction) , Cabins in Ft. Wilderness, or ASMu Family Suites. The first two have some rooms with 2 queens and a pull down bed that will fit a child/ smaller person. The cabins can sleep 6, and have a bedroom w/queen, bunk beds, and sleeper sofa. The Suite also has room for 6, w/queen in bedroom, sleeper sofa and chair and ottoman, as well as extra bathroom and kitchenette. Rooms are cheaper, just depends on age/size of your family members and how much space you need. There are also Family Suites at AoA, but they are more expensive.

You can check out Mousesavers.com for rates for the time of year you are considering, and description of rooms. Also check the threads on here for each resort to see pics and get more info.

we would like to stay in property, so we are looking for the best economical option for a family of five at a Disney Resort. Any advice?

Thanks!
A lot will depend on available discounts but you can fit 5 people in:
  • ASMu or AoA Family Suite
  • 2 Value Resort rooms
  • POR or CBR room
  • A FW Cabin
  • Most Deluxe Resort rooms (a CR garden wing room is the most affordable room on the monorail)
  • Some DVC studios (either renting points or thru Disney); not all DVC studios will accommodate 5 people.
Of those options, a discount on the POR or CBR room would be the least expensive. The rented studio at a DVC resort would be the next option followed by 2 rooms at the Value Resort and the Family Suites. The most expensive would be the Deluxe Resorts, even with a discount rate unless you can find a convention rate. We stayed at GF last year for $219/night the first week in December when we were there for a meeting. Couldn't stay at a Moderate Resort for that price!

We have stayed at the All Star Music Family Suites many times and it will sleep 5 people comfortably with the combination of bed, sleep sofa, and fold out chair. The added bonus is that the bed in the "master bedroom" is larger than the tiny little doubles in the other rooms. My DH won't stay in a regular room at a Value Resort anymore except for the Family Suite because of the bed issue.

As a family of 5, the most affordable option seems to consistently be a standard room at either POR or CBR. CBR is one of our favorite resorts and has become our go-to resort when the whole family is traveling. It's under construction for some time and they have offered some good deals because of it, but make sure you know how that may effect your resort stay.

We stay at the cabins at FW most of the time, but just got back from a stay at CBR ... we ended up paying less than $200 a night tax included there with the construction specials. We have also stayed at the GF and Contemporary with 5.

If you are willing to prepare your own meals sometimes, the cabin's full kitchen could offer a lot of savings. I would also take into consideration if you are going to have a car or not.

We are a family of five. Normally I would say that CBR is our absolute favorite for fitting all of us but right now with construction going on, it seems like a headache and not quite so magical. AoA was a lot of fun but I found it a little frustrating to pay MORE than moderate prices to get far less because it's actually considered value. Things like not being able to get a towel at the pool and not having a hot tub aren't the end of the world but it is annoying when you are paying so much. But we still loved it and had a great time. And we had SO MUCH SPACE! That part was fabulous!

I'd say your best bet is POR. We like it there. I have stayed there twice. Once as a kid in a family of five and once with my kids but at that point we only had two so we stayed in the Royal Rooms which was awesome.

We are a family of five. Normally I would say that CBR is our absolute favorite for fitting all of us but right now with construction going on, it seems like a headache and not quite so magical. AoA was a lot of fun but I found it a little frustrating to pay MORE than moderate prices to get far less because it's actually considered value. Things like not being able to get a towel at the pool and not having a hot tub aren't the end of the world but it is annoying when you are paying so much. But we still loved it and had a great time. And we had SO MUCH SPACE! That part was fabulous!

You get a ton more space, a kitchenette, and a second bathroom for the extra money. You do lose the pool towels and hot tub, but I wouldn't consider what you're getting to be "far less" than a moderate.

We liked the family suites at All Stars for our family of six. Having two bathrooms was a necessity!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter