• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family of 5 wants more choice

bbass1

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever stayed in a resort that has a occupancy of 4 and you carried 5. Not many choices for a family of 5 other than PORS or the suites @ Music. We want to try other resorts but can't because of the max occupancy. Can't afford to stay in delux. Although that would be nice.:confused3

bbass1, I am with you! we were a family of 6 (daughter just got married and left home) now a family of 5. I would love to stay at other resorts when we go but it's just to expensive. I don't really want to stay in a cabin (to close to camping for me and I am not a camper!!! LOL) so I guess it's one of the family suites for us!

We did 2 connecting rooms at the POP. 2 adults a 8yr old and 2 5yr. olds. It was only a $200 or so increase over a room at POR. We loved having all of that space. 2 bathrooms alone was worth the $200 and 2 TV's kept the peace at night!

I never seem to find a pin code when I need it. I like my creature comforts. So instead we rent points from a dvc member and rent points. If you are flexible at to wear you are staying you can get some good deals. I you are not in a hurr you can get them at SSR for less then $10 per point. Sometimes OKW.

Disney will be opening the new Animatin Resort in 2012 rooming up to six. It may not help with this years trip but for upcoming trips it will add to your choices...:goodvibes

Has anyone ever stayed in a resort that has a occupancy of 4 and you carried 5. Not many choices for a family of 5 other than PORS or the suites @ Music. We want to try other resorts but can't because of the max occupancy. Can't afford to stay in delux. Although that would be nice.:confused3

We are a family of 5 also. For us, having all 5 in one room is too much togetherness. We tryed POR once, but trying to share one bathroom was not fun. We are DVC now, so the problem is solved. If we are not using our points, we get 2 rooms at a value resort.

You might want to look into renting someone's DVC points for a 1 BR Deluxe Villa suite. I'm not an expert on it, but it looked to me like someone could get a deal for around the price of a moderate at some of the resorts.

I think the Dolphin allows 5 in a room. At least they used to. But I haven't researched that in awhile. But the 5th person is in a roll away.

Maggie

You might want to look into renting someone's DVC points for a 1 BR Deluxe Villa suite. I'm not an expert on it, but it looked to me like someone could get a deal for around the price of a moderate at some of the resorts.

Depends where you're looking. We just booked a 1 bedroom at BWV for May 13-15. It was 40 pts per night - OUCH. Sun -Thur was 35 pts per night. Renting isn't necessarily a great option anymore since the point charts were adjusted. OKW for the same time frame is 27/32 pts per night. Not quite the bargain it used to be (for renters or owners) :sad2:

Unless you can afford to spend a bit, you are limited in choices for a family of 5 ast WDW. Have you given any thought to the Swan or Dolphin resorts? You can sleep the 5th person on a roll-away. Or if your 5th child is under the age of 3 you can still stay anywhere.

While not "official" Disney hotels, you would still be able to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours. However, you cannot use Magical Express, so you would have to pay to shuttle from the airport to the resort, if you fly in.

Disney will not allow you to exceed the set room occupency level. They can't, they would face huge fines if the did. There is a poster who heard her neighbors getting tossed out, and said that by the argument the parents were having, it was pretty obvious it was because they had more guests in their room than they were allowed.

There are tons of excellent offsite options if you want space. Many of them are cheaper than a disney value. Some are even within the gates of Disneyworld.

Try the Bonnet Creek Resort. Adjacent to Disney property (next door to Caribbean Beach Resort). But it's not Disney, so you don't get EMH, ME, dining plan, etc.

Depends where you're looking. We just booked a 1 bedroom at BWV for May 13-15. It was 40 pts per night - OUCH. Sun -Thur was 35 pts per night. Renting isn't necessarily a great option anymore since the point charts were adjusted. OKW for the same time frame is 27/32 pts per night. Not quite the bargain it used to be (for renters or owners) :sad2:

I thought the occupancy of the studios and 1 bedrooms were 4 anyway. Don't you have to get a 2 bedroom to have more than 4?

Maggie

I thought the occupancy of the studios and 1 bedrooms were 4 anyway. Don't you have to get a 2 bedroom to have more than 4?

Maggie

AKL and BLT do 5 in a room.

We stayed at Kidani last fall. King bed in bedroom and double sleeper sofa and single sleeper chair in living room, with 2 bathrooms. It was very nice and only cost us a little more that 2 rooms at POP.

We stayed at Kidani last fall. King bed in bedroom and double sleeper sofa and single sleeper chair in living room, with 2 bathrooms. It was very nice and only cost us a little more that 2 rooms at POP.

Can you add a baby in to this and make the occupancy 6?

That is good to know. Thanks!

Maggie

Maggie

Kidani, BLT and some OKW (I think), have added the sleeper chair to make room for 5. DCV would generally allow members to have 5 in the other 1 beds anyway. Its tight thought - the living rooms aren't that big. Basically a smaller kid ends up in the king with parents.

Before the point re-allocation you could get a 2 bedroom at BCV for 32 pts a night Sun-Thur. A 1 bedroom is now 35pts for the same time frame. Depending on where it is (OKW, AKV std view) it will be a bit less, but my point was just that if it doesn't seem like a crazy deal for the 1 bedrooms - that is why, it costs way more points than it used to and the difference in weekend points isn't really significant any more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter