family of 5 really needs suggestions!

tlriv5

DIS Veteran
Of course we are a family of 5 heading back to Disney. We have stayed at POR twice and love it. However our family is three teenage hurls and I have concerns with the new Murphy bed being comfortable. Anyone tried these yet? Also also have done two rooms a POP. This was nice but our girls missed POR because it is so quiet there. I have thought about the suites but I hate they only offer qs dining if free dining is offered. Plus they really aren't that cheap in my opinion. Is there anything out there I may not have thought of or do you think the Murphy beds will be ok. Like I said they are teenage girls(14) but they are not very big girls. Any advice would be great!

Not sure what you are willing to spend and when you are going but I spent a week with three teen girls ages 15 and 16 late last Aug with free dining at the Beach Club . They have rooms for 5 that have two queen beds and a day bed ... One girl spent the week on the day bed and loved it would not even share with the other two to take turns sleeping on it . The pool there is amazing and it is close to Epcot and HS ,,, Just a thought !!

What about the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. They sleep up to 6 and are classified as a "moderate" resort?

Good luck with your decision and have a great trip! :)

Not sure what you are willing to spend and when you are going but I spent a week with three teen girls ages 15 and 16 late last Aug with free dining at the Beach Club . They have rooms for 5 that have two queen beds and a day bed ... One girl spent the week on the day bed and loved it would not even share with the other two to take turns sleeping on it . The pool there is amazing and it is close to Epcot and HS ,,, Just a thought !!

I agree with this..we loved the beach club and the day bed was very comfortable.

I would also check into renting DVC points. We did that very affordably for a 1 bdrm at AKL

You might want to try a Wing room at the Contemporary Resort. Very large rooms, a bit less than the main tower, and it has two queen beds and a day bed.

I am also not sure what you want to spend. I can tell you as a family of 5, we have stayed at the following:

CR - Wing,Tower & CL. Rooms are large w/2 queens beds and a twin size day bed. Large bathroom w/double sinks. Enjoyed quick walk to/from MK.

Poly - I think the rooms are the same size as CR or close. 2 queen beds and a twin size day bed. Beautiful beach area. Fun volcano pool for kids.

FW Cabin - Bedroom has double bed & set of bunks. Living area has double Murphy bed. We used the kitchen for breakfast, snacks and cooked a frozen pizza. Kept drinks in the fridge. Used the grill one night. Nice boat to/from MK.

BC CL - 2 queen beds and twin size day bed. Awesome pool! Nice walk to/from Epcot and boat to/from Studios.

BC CL 2 bedroom - FANTASTIC!!!! The master had a king bed, the 2nd bedroom was a regular room w/2 queen beds and twin day bed.

BLT 2 bedroom - This is our "home". Master has a king bed and master bath. 2nd bedroom has 2 queen beds and bathroom. Living area has a sleeper couch & sleeper chair with full kitchen, laundry and bath.

Good luck and have a great vacation!

Of course we are a family of 5 heading back to Disney. We have stayed at POR twice and love it. However our family is three teenage hurls and I have concerns with the new Murphy bed being comfortable. Anyone tried these yet? Also also have done two rooms a POP. This was nice but our girls missed POR because it is so quiet there. I have thought about the suites but I hate they only offer qs dining if free dining is offered. Plus they really aren't that cheap in my opinion. Is there anything out there I may not have thought of or do you think the Murphy beds will be ok. Like I said they are teenage girls(14) but they are not very big girls. Any advice would be great!
We are a family of 6 and we always get 2 connecting rooms at a value resort. We rotate all of our yearly trips around Free Dining promos and we just pay the few hundred dollars to upgrade to the Basic DDP from the Quick Service for FD promos - still much cheaper than staying at a moderate or a deluxe resort. Plus you get more room and get a second bathroom - which is a must with 3 teenage girls :-)

We are a Family of 5....

Loved Poly and BC because they have the Day bed... so you have 2 queens and 1 day bed = 5.

However I learned early on that the beds were not the problem...the BATHROOMS were....

so we began getting adjoining rooms (I KNow...WDW can't confirm adjoining but we've NEVER had any problems getting adjoining)....

So that solved the problem. WE have a AK KIdani Suite for our next visit...

I don't know your budget... but would recommend you consider something that involves a second bathroom....it makes for a MUCH smoother trip overall...

Have a Magical Visit !
Mary

Just want to mention that adjoining and connecting mean 2 different things in the Disney reservations system. Adjoining means room that are next to or near each other. Connecting means two rooms with a door inbetween the rooms. If you want connecting rooms make sure you make that clear to the CM taking the call and making your resort reservations.

With teenagers, I wouldn't want the Murphy bed. It's really intended for children. I like what Princess Tiffany suggested: 2 connecting rooms at Pop or one of the other values, then upgrade the dining plan to DDP. I think the girls will thank you. If there are going to be 4 females, you're really going to want that 2nd bathroom.

Doing this will probably still save you money over staying in one room at a Deluxe resort, so shouldn't strain the budget too much.

Thanks everyone. You mentioned all of the places I have looked at, except I had never looked at the Beach Club. I didn't even know that was an option. The bathroom situation is what most concerned my husband and I, the girls believe it or not are the ones pushing Port Orleans. I think that is the place that we went our first trips and it just wasn't the same to them when we stayed at POP with two rooms. I am just going to give them their options and then let them decide. They are the ones who have to sleep on the murphy bed not me! :) I would love, love, love to stay at a monorail resort, but it just doesn't seem worth the extra money to me with girls who are not going to stay at the resort very much. I think the hubby and I will save this for when we go alone...one day. Thanks again!

Have any of you stayed at All Star Music suite and also we could look at the new Arts of Animation. I wish Disney when thinking of accomodating families of 5 would not worry about making rooms with kitchens. I am definitly not coming to Disney to cook any meals! lol! I just want a nice, comfortable and affordable room.

We are a family of 5, first time trip. We are trying the animation resort. Love the kitchenette option so we can store leftovers and keep bottles of water cold. Also, we are hog to have a few items for light breakfasts delivered.

Have any of you stayed at All Star Music suite and also we could look at the new Arts of Animation. I wish Disney when thinking of accomodating families of 5 would not worry about making rooms with kitchens. I am definitly not coming to Disney to cook any meals! lol! I just want a nice, comfortable and affordable room.
I agree. We are a family of 6 and we always travel during Free Dining and I have no use for a kitchenette and I'm surely not cooking anything on vacation - that's why we always end up getting 2 connecting rooms at a value. The Poly is my favorite deluxe, but with the kids we spend all of our times in the parks and just, basically sleep and shower in the room, so I can't every justify spending the money on a deluxe anymore.

Anyway, hope ya'll have a magical vacation!

As a family of 6 we have done:

2 connecting rooms at a value.

2 non-conecting rooms at a delxue. That was the 1 trip we didn't get our asked for connecting rooms. My TA has sense told me to not stay at The Contemporary or All Star Music if you want connecting rooms, as those resorts have fewer to go around. After that trip we have successfully requested connecting at both the Sports and the Poly.

An All Star Family Suite. We loved this option.:)

A 2 bedroom villa at the Beach Club. We rented points which made it more affordable.

Off-site.

Unless you're willing to get 2 rooms at POR, that murphy bed is is not going to work for teenagers. I agree with the cabin at FW or wing room at CR suggestion. Renting point at a DVC villa would also be an affordable option.

Unless you're willing to get 2 rooms at POR, that murphy bed is is not going to work for teenagers. I agree with the cabin at FW or wing room at CR suggestion. Renting point at a DVC villa would also be an affordable option.
The villas are nice, but I don't consider them affordable. Even if the OP wanted to squeeze into a 1 bedroom, because a couple of the villas have that option, they are back to one of their kids sleeping on a little pull out chair. And the cost of renting points on a 2 bedroom villa is about double the cost, like $2,500.00 more, than getting 2 connecting rooms at a value resort, plus if you rent points you can't take advantage of huge discounts like Free Dining or 40% off room only discounts. Plus the OP said she has no need for a kitchen so if they were going to spend that kind of money they should just get 2 connecting rooms at a deluxe and wait on a FD promo or a good room discount.

We are a family of 6 with three of them teenagers, when the oldest is not along with us we happily fit into one room at the Beach Club, although we usually go the two bedroom Villa route. We don't cook much, sometimes breakfast, but it is nice to have that extra space and the extra bathroom (BLT has three full bathrooms in a 2 bedroom villa)
We tried the 2 rooms at a value route for one night THANK THE LORD it was only for one night. I am on vacation, I do not want to be crammed into a tiny little bed with my six and a half foot tall DH lol.
If it's in the budget, I would look at the BC, the pool is awesome and the location can't be beat!

It would be nice to see Disney offer more single room options for large families. If a room is big enough for two full size beds it's big enough for one full and a twin over full bunk bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter