• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family of 5-how would you book?

cruzstitch

Earning My Ears
We're planning on going to WDW in October '16. I'm so excited to see all the Fall things! Our kids at that time will be 14 (DS), 12 (DD) and 8 (DS). We stayed at PORS the first time we took them and absolutely loved it. The problem is, we're hoping for free dinning, and PORS wasn't included this year. The family suite at ASM is my second choice, and it appears has been included in free dining every time it has been offered. I want to get this year's rates because I've already worked out the budget, but I know free dining won't be announced, if it's coming, until Spring. My other question is if we can book quick service dining at POR, or do we have to go for the regular dining plan if we decide to pay for the dining plan and stay at the resort we really like, free dining or no. How would you book? Should I book POR and hope for the best? Or go right to ASM?

Last edited:
It's fairly ease to change a reservation, book the one you would do if you don't get any discounts and adjust when you do get one.

What about CBR? That's our plan for our family of 5 and the cheapest option as well!

My other question is if we can book quick service dining at POR, or do we have to go for the regular dining plan if we decide to pay for the dining plan and stay at the resort we really like, free dining or no. How would you book? Should I book POR and hope for the best? Or go right to ASM?
If you purchase a dining plan, then yes, you can get the quick service plan while staying at POR. If you get free dining, the quick service plan is what you get when staying at a value resort (though you can pay to upgrade it).

I"m staying ar cbr for the first time when we arrive in 12 days :) It sounds like a plan to me. I commonly book and just deposit anywhere that I would go if I didn't get a discount and adjust and move resorts as I do get some finally paying off close to the last second. It doens't impact food reservations or fastpasses to do this.

I have never changed a reservation dates or changed to a different resort. Am I in the minority?

Has CBR been in the dining plans? I didn't realize they had rooms for five now.

Yes and Yes. The rooms just finished a total renovation with pull down bunks - and the rooms are slightly bigger. Crunch the numbers, it usually comes out less there than POR.

Has CBR been in the dining plans? I didn't realize they had rooms for five now.
Assume you mean the "free" dining plans? CBR (and all the Disney-owned resorts) always had the paid/package dining plans available. Well, at least as long as there have been dining plans.

Yes, I should have clarified. Has CBR been included in the free dining offers historically? When we stayed at POR, it was one of the first years they offered the free dining and we went in February, but this year POR isn't included. One way or another, it looks like CBR is well in the budget with the QS dining (paid for). I'm pretty positive that's where we will book. I'm grateful for the input!

We're planning on going to WDW in October '16. I'm so excited to see all the Fall things! Our kids at that time will be 14 (DS), 12 (DD) and 8 (DS). We stayed at PORS the first time we took them and absolutely loved it. The problem is, we're hoping for free dinning, and PORS wasn't included this year. The family suite at ASM is my second choice, and it appears has been included in free dining every time it has been offered. I want to get this year's rates because I've already worked out the budget, but I know free dining won't be announced, if it's coming, until Spring. My other question is if we can book quick service dining at POR, or do we have to go for the regular dining plan if we decide to pay for the dining plan and stay at the resort we really like, free dining or no. How would you book? Should I book POR and hope for the best? Or go right to ASM?

Are you asking if you stayed at a moderate and got table service dining for free, could you downgrade?
I believe the answer is no, you would still get the regular DDP BUT you are supposed to be able to use TS for CS meals, so, in effect, you could use it like QSDP.

Are you asking if you stayed at a moderate and got table service dining for free, could you downgrade?
I believe the answer is no, you would still get the regular DDP BUT you are supposed to be able to use TS for CS meals, so, in effect, you could use it like QSDP.

No, if we had to purchase the dining plan at a moderate resort, could we purchase the QS or would we be forced to purchase the DDP. I have my answer now. If we got the free dining, we would take advantage of some table meals, but I found last time that table service took up a lot of time, and I would be fine with just purchasing the QS dining plan, if no free dining is available.

I have never changed a reservation dates or changed to a different resort. Am I in the minority?
We have changed resorts . We booked and paid for Beach Club in 2012 . Our kids wanted to stay at AOA so we switched . They loved it and didn't regret the switch .

Probably not. For me it's usually a new discount comes out that saves me money or allows a longer trip for the same cost and I adjust my reservation to take advantage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter