Extra occupancy price increase and Minnie Van = resort parking no longer a perk?

You can't park in the river, and they've walled off access from the mall.

Are you sure? If true, it's a very recent change, but it also doesn't make sense because going to the mall is supposed to be a big draw to stay at the hotel since they blew up Opryland for it.

Are you sure? If true, it's a very recent change, but it also doesn't make sense because going to the mall is supposed to be a big draw to stay at the hotel since they blew up Opryland for it.

The last time I went in late May/early June to see a movie, it appeared totally walled off. When I stayed there last year they had a shuttle...I could be wrong, but especially around the holidays they want people paying to park.

But seriously, don't get me started on Shopyland! Love the hotel, but if it wasn't for the theater, I have no use for the mall. I could see the mall and hotel from my ex's house; I wish they'd established a new theme park instead of the mall after the flood.

The last time I went in late May/early June to see a movie, it appeared totally walled off. When I stayed there last year they had a shuttle...I could be wrong, but especially around the holidays they want people paying to park.

But seriously, don't get me started on Shopyland! Love the hotel, but if it wasn't for the theater, I have no use for the mall. I could see the mall and hotel from my ex's house; I wish they'd established a new theme park instead of the mall after the flood.

A shuttle makes sense, especially in the cold Christmas season. It's not a short walk for the snow birds. We pretty much just go there for the holiday lights maybe once a year, but it may have been two years ago. I did take my son to the IMAX for Episode VII 3D (only 3D movie I've bothered with). And once in a blue moon, the kids like the Aquarium restaurant (again usually a holiday two-fer), but yes, I never understood the mall idea. Less overhead I guess.

I've never paid to park there, and if they really deny access from the mall side, we'd just skip it.

The Swolphin is always best to pay the cheapest rate and see what upgrades they have available for cash or free. I've gotten some killer rooms for like $20-$30 more a night on a nothing booking. Almost always - to balance that out I once got the worst room in a corner ground floor at the Dolphin.

I can't do that. I have a family. I either need a family suite or 2 rooms. I don't like to chance hotel stays unless it's just me and the hubs. When I need to be sure everyone has a bed, then I book what I need.

I can't do that. I have a family. I either need a family suite or 2 rooms. I don't like to chance hotel stays unless it's just me and the hubs. When I need to be sure everyone has a bed, then I book what I need.

Oh yep - that would make for a different paradigm altogether. With 2 adults, you can roll the dice a heck of a lot more.

What would be interesting to see is if Disney will "lower" the rates for their resorts, then add a parking and resort fee that will basically add up to the amount before they lowered their rates. I think it is inevitable until Disney adds some sort of parking or resort fee, just about every hotel in the Orlando area does and it is becoming common practice. I really hope they don't add any fees, but I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

What would be interesting to see is if Disney will "lower" the rates for their resorts, then add a parking and resort fee that will basically add up to the amount before they lowered their rates. I think it is inevitable until Disney adds some sort of parking or resort fee, just about every hotel in the Orlando area does and it is becoming common practice. I really hope they don't add any fees, but I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Don't hold your breath on that.

I don't think they will ever lower the rates on their resorts. They might discount them, but rack rates will remain the same or rise.

Lowering hotel rates is definitely not Disney's style. They might start with very low fees instead and of course those might just tend to rise over time.

I doubt they would have, unfortunately. I had several friends working at Gaylord at the time, and the primary reason they scrapped Opryland USA and built the mall was that they were getting ridiculously low local visits. Most of the park visitors came from out of town and these tourists weren't making the park a destination. In addition, they could only run the park seasonally, and the hemmed-in location made it tremendously difficult to expand. Those factors made it really hard to justify the costs of running the park.

I love all the hotels too:) Just saying that lots of great, very close by hotels have pay for parking and most of them resort fees, although I think like everybody gets those waived with a package or hotel status or whatever. I think its just a matter of what's "normal" - paying parking is a fact of life for me, or Ubering. Its not something I ever think of, I mean if I want to see a local tiny band tonight - I'm paying to park or Ubering. The only place I regularly go that I don't pay for parking is Target. All of the hotels close to me in Nashville, are pay to park - unless you go out in the burbs. Its just the cost of living. That's where we differ, you said "its a very big deal to me" - its just not for me. I pay to park where I get my hair and nails done. Stinks that it bothers you, but using my hometown as an instance, which isn't exactly "the big city." Would you not visit the Opryland Hotel? There is not free parking its $28 or $38 for valet. You can't park in the river, and they've walled off access from the mall. If its a deal breaker for you at WDW - where would you stay? Or, would you ditch the car? Honestly, curious! I love hearing about other's travel styles, so I'm definitely not arguing, just curious:)

The one good thing about WDW is you can easily hop between their resorts - I love it, without having to fuss with driving. Tons of transport options and cheap Ubers - they can keep their Minnie Vans though:)

Is it really walled off? I can't imagine it's to keep hotel guests from paying to park. If anything I would guess it's to keep locals from parking at the mall and walking over to the hotel just to look around, which is a shame if true.

Is it really walled off? I can't imagine it's to keep hotel guests from paying to park. If anything I would guess it's to keep locals from parking at the mall and walking over to the hotel just to look around, which is a shame if true.

That's what they'd be trying to do - and the shuttle was hotel guests for sure. It looks walled off, but I'm not 100% at all, and maybe that was just for construction or something? I haven't actually walked over to inspect. Where you could still see the ruins of the Grizzly River Rampage weren't visible from the mall side when I was there earlier this summer to catch a movie. The parking situation over there is just horrible even to go to the movies or visit the mall. The hotel wants people to pay to park and the mall wants its customers to have a place to park. It makes sense. From where I live its the best movie theater choice for me, and I rarely, rarely choose it because the parking and traffic is such a PITA. They have to do something.

That's what they'd be trying to do - and the shuttle was hotel guests for sure. It looks walled off, but I'm not 100% at all, and maybe that was just for construction or something? I haven't actually walked over to inspect. Where you could still see the ruins of the Grizzly River Rampage weren't visible from the mall side when I was there earlier this summer to catch a movie. The parking situation over there is just horrible even to go to the movies or visit the mall. The hotel wants people to pay to park and the mall wants its customers to have a place to park. It makes sense. From where I live its the best movie theater choice for me, and I rarely, rarely choose it because the parking and traffic is such a PITA. They have to do something.

If you're talking about the wall at the edge of the mall-side parking lot, that's surrounding where they do the "snow" attractions in the winter. They do some kind of sled thing down artificial snow. They also have the ice sculpture building in there.

Last time I was there, you could just walk through it to the hotel.

I would think that's the kind of thing I would have heard about otherwise, but that's certainly not 100%. It is the kind of thing that would generate some negative local noise.

If you're talking about the wall at the edge of the mall-side parking lot, that's surrounding where they do the "snow" attractions in the winter. They do some kind of sled thing down artificial snow. They also have the ice sculpture building in there.

Last time I was there, you could just walk through it to the hotel.

I would think that's the kind of thing I would have heard about otherwise, but that's certainly not 100%. It is the kind of thing that would generate some negative local noise.

I know what you're talking about...I don't think that's what I saw, and it seemed longer. I could certainly be wrong, like I said, I wasn't on an expedition, but it was noticeable enough for comment that day between me and my companion. You're right that the news would have probably picked it up. Could have just been construction? It was different seeming. Like I said, next time I'm forced over there, I'll investigate.

I know what you're talking about...I don't think that's what I saw, and it seemed longer. I could certainly be wrong, like I said, I wasn't on an expedition, but it was noticeable enough for comment that day between me and my companion. You're right that the news would have probably picked it up. Could have just been construction? It was different seeming. Like I said, next time I'm forced over there, I'll investigate.

I admit it's been a while since I was there as well. It certainly could have been construction. Middle Tennessee is full of that!

I know the permanent wall (I believe it's red brick) goes pretty much the length of the divide between the mall and the hotel, but there are plenty of breaks along the length.

Still, it wouldn't be totally shocking if they did wall it up, sad to say.

I admit it's been a while since I was there as well. It certainly could have been construction. Middle Tennessee is full of that!

I know the permanent wall (I believe it's red brick) goes pretty much the length of the divide between the mall and the hotel, but there are plenty of breaks along the length.

Still, it wouldn't be totally shocking if they did wall it up, sad to say.

This was white, which is probably what made it stand out...

Typically, if I have to leave East Nash, I'll just go to Murfreesboro to see/stay a night or 2 with friends and family. They have a super cheap local theater!

This was white, which is probably what made it stand out...

Typically, if I have to leave East Nash, I'll just go to Murfreesboro to see/stay a night or 2 with friends and family. They have a super cheap local theater!

The Premier 6? I live in that area, and I've never been.

I'm still laughing. Rates will continue to rise the typical yearly increase. If bookings drop, they'll discount with promos or sell more blocks to 3rd party bookers.

WDW wants to keep their guests & their entire vacation budget onsite. Attempting to eliminate car rentals to venture offsite easily is smart business. A good way to do so is to impose a nightly parking fee for all, including guests. If they impose a true resort fee for all instead, there would be backlash.

I see nothing wrong with charging for non-guest parking at the resorts in general.

More so, i can live with fees for guests to park at hotels other than their home resort on any given trip.

Perhaps, they'd toss it in as a perk for certain AP holders, DVC, locals.

Would certainly free up parking in overflow lot @ BW. Trust me, when staying there parking can be challenging.

Most deluxe resorts have resort or parking or both fees imposed. WDW has just rolled their's into their rates in the past. Attendance is down, they need to keep that revenue stream going.

WDW wants to keep their guests & their entire vacation budget onsite. Attempting to eliminate car rentals to venture offsite easily is smart business. A good way to do so is to impose a nightly parking fee for all, including guests.

That's hard to say. It might do that. Or it might make those with cars look offsite for the first time in years. I know offsite often has parking fees, but when those are on top of much lower nightly rates, it can be appealing. And Disney needs to proceed carefully. Once people have cars, it's much easier to pop offsite to eat and maybe visit other theme parks.

That's hard to say. It might do that. Or it might make those with cars look offsite for the first time in years. I know offsite often has parking fees, but when those are on top of much lower nightly rates, it can be appealing. And Disney needs to proceed carefully. Once people have cars, it's much easier to pop offsite to eat and maybe visit other theme parks.

I'm seeing more special offers for offsite (DTD area) that forego the parking fees for dates I've been checking.

And we do both (eat offsite for typically better/cheaper food & visit other parks) :).

Still have our favorite onsite dining spots & are enticed more with current discounts offered to APH/DVC but we enjoy venturing outside the bubble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter