Extra Magic Hours - Yay or Nay?

DisneyLily

DIS Veteran
We used to use the EMH Morning hours at the Magic Kingdom when I was like 8 or 9 years old and wanted to ride the rides in Fantasyland. Whilst doing this, my father and brother would go off and ride Space Mountain.

But times have changed.

So, we avoid the EMH hours for both the morning and the evening due to the fact that it seems like the parks are animal houses. Now, this might just be me and my inability to cope with people smushing into me, but the Evening hours are the worst!

Anyone else agree or disagree?

(Original Question: Do you utilize the EMH hours or do you avoid that park that day?)

I usually avoid them.

I use the www.touringplans.com crowd calendar & best/worst parks to plan my days and those are usually based on avoiding EMH parks, IIRC.

I liked it so much better when it was e-ticket nights and the crowds were actually light.

We usually avoid the evening ones, unless we just decide we want to fight the crowds and do less visited attractions or something.

We do some of the morning ones, but we usually go and then leave after a few hours before the crowds get too awful and hop somewhere else. We've had good luck with early EMH, but we go in off season too.

we like using the mornign EMH because the park hours are shorter in the off season and it affords us a little more time to get more done.

but i would avoid it probably if we ever go in busy season.

We sometimes use the morning ones and then hop to another park after a few hours, but the evening ones can be dreadful. It is so crowded and if the parks aren't open late to begin with then everyone wants to go there! The morning one on this last trip gave us a chance to ride Toy Story Mania though and that ride was so much fun!

I avoid EMH hours, however, I am NOT a morning person so that is part of it, but for our October trip we sort of did a morning EMH at MK and I could not believe how crowded it was by 10am! EMH started at 8am, we got into the park about 8:40am, crowds were light then, but by 10am it was shoulder to shoulder. I thought we'd be good til about noon. :confused3

The same trip we did an evening EMH at Animal Kingdom and that great! Cool to see AK at night...it was cooler and we rode EE 3 times in a row because it was a walk on.

All other trips we do opposite parks of EMH and have always had very good luck doing that. I plan on doing whatever park the day after they have EMH. Like if Epcot has an EMH morning on Tuesday, then I go to Epcot on Wednesday.

We follow TP's advice and avoid EMH parks. :thumbsup2

We go to Evening EMH but not during the same day. We typically go to Evening EMH and then turn around and go to that same park the next morning. It's usually less crowded because guests were at that park the night before and decide to hit a different park the next day. That strategy seems to work well.

I don't think I've ever tried morning EMH, but I have had some success with evening EMH, though I find that you have to stay until almost the end for the crowds to really be lessened. I went once in December and stayed until around 1 am and we were able to ride Space Mountain four times in a row with no wait. Very cool

I usually avoid EMH, although I have been known to utilize the AM EMH for MK during Christmas week.

We enjoyed going to the evening EMH at MK when the park closes late and EMH runs until 1 or two in the morning...that we can get up early enjoy the park before it gets crowded, leave, then come back for the parade and Wishes...then we went to the less popular or fast loading rides then the last hour of EMH the park seemed almost empty and were pretty much able to walk on anything we wanted

AM EMH never seemed to work out for us since it the crowds still seemd large and since it's only an hour...I do like the tip of visiting the park that had EMH the night before the next morning...it worked out well for me at AK and DHS

I've never been disappointed with going to morning EMH - so long as I am there when or close to when the park opens. I'm a hopper, however, so I leave when it gets crowded.

Evening EMH is a mixed thing. I don't find it helpful at DHS or AK, the hours don't make much of a difference. EPCOT and MK are good if you are willing to stay late. I also try to get FastPasses if they are available at the start of Evening EMH.

Evening EMH after a parade or fireworks- yes! Staying in an EMH all day- no.

EMH am if leaving soon after- yes! Staying there until noon or later- no way.

Also, now that they are checking dates on KTTW cards, the lines are longer than ever in the evenings so I might have to rethink my answer. Like I posted on the Themepark board, in Dec. there was a huge line for the TTA :eek: only because it was taking forever to check the cards. Hope they come up with something more efficient.

Evening EMH after a parade or fireworks- yes! Staying in an EMH all day- no.

EMH am if leaving soon after- yes! Staying there until noon or later- no way.

Also, now that they are checking dates on KTTW cards, the lines are longer than ever in the evenings so I might have to rethink my answer. Like I posted on the Themepark board, in Dec. there was a huge line for the TTA :eek: only because it was taking forever to check the cards. Hope they come up with something more efficient.

^^^^^^
Everything she said!

Totally! EMH works for us because we don't visit during peak seasons. The lesser crowds are even less, plus it gives us an excuse to take time off from the parks in the afternoon.

I go to a different park during the day and switch over to the EMH park...especially if it's Magic Kingdom and it's open to 2 am or something like that :)

Cut way down on the crowds. It was almost like we had the park to ourselves. I wish they would reinstate that policy at all of the parks.

Cut way down on the crowds. It was almost like we had the park to ourselves. I wish they would reinstate that policy at all of the parks.

In a way, they do that now, with their hard-ticket events. It's a great way to take away value from the ordinary ticket-holders.

Honestly, I feel like crowds are just part of the deal at Disney World no matter what. Of course there are those rare times where the park empties out a little, but for the most part, that's how it is and we just deal whatever way we can.

During my October 08 trip (October 6-11) I did almost every evening magic hour that week, and I found that the crowds weren't any worse than during the day. I remember walking through Frontierland and Liberty Square during the last hour in the park and it being practically empty, it was so wonderful! I find the last hour is always not very crowded if you find the right areas. I am more of a stroll through and enjoy the details kinda gal, so I love it late at night with a light breeze, just walking around and enjoying the atmosphere.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter