• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

express pass cost

Prouddad

Earning My Ears
Hello. About 6 years ago, we went to universal and were able to upgrade our ticket to express pass at the park, for around $100. This is a trip for my son and myself, so I want to make the most of it. I looked online and the price was $339 PER TICKET. Can anyone speak as to if there is an option to upgrade same day and if it would be any cheaper. Almost $700 is a lot of dough. Thanks in advance.

Is an on-site hotel cheaper than $700? Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific include Express Passes for everyone in the room from check in to check out day. You still have to buy park admission but the onsite stay is often the more cost efficient way to pay for EPs. Plus you get early entry, a very close hotel and a very nice hotel too.
EPs just cost a lot right now. You aren’t going to get a lower price and they could sell out.

You would do better if you booked one of the 3 hotels that included free unlimited EP with your room booking

stay on site at one of the 3 hotels and get ep usage for check in and check out day

PB
RP
HR
Thanks I would love to but this time we are pulling the Camper to Fort Wilderness. Ill know for next time.

Is an on-site hotel cheaper than $700? Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific include Express Passes for everyone in the room from check in to check out day. You still have to buy park admission but the onsite stay is often the more cost efficient way to pay for EPs. Plus you get early entry, a very close hotel and a very nice hotel too.
EPs just cost a lot right now. You aren’t going to get a lower price and they could sell out.
That is good info, thanks for the reply. We are going to be camping at Fort Wilderness, so a hotel wont work this trip. Thanks for the info though.

That is good info, thanks for the reply. We are going to be camping at Fort Wilderness, so a hotel wont work this trip. Thanks for the info though.
Twice now we have been staying elsewhere in Orlando but booked one of the Universal deluxe hotels for a night because the cost of the room for the three or four of us was cheaper than the cost of the EP for all of us. Especially when we added in the cost of parking at UOR. So look at the booking website and do the math - for just two of you it might not work out, but maybe it will. In any case, parking at the hotel, checking in, getting our room keys (which are the EPs) and then walking on down to the boat dock or directly to the parks was easier than parking in the garage and walking to/through security and then through City Walk to the parks!

Twice now we have been staying elsewhere in Orlando but booked one of the Universal deluxe hotels for a night because the cost of the room for the three or four of us was cheaper than the cost of the EP for all of us. Especially when we added in the cost of parking at UOR. So look at the booking website and do the math - for just two of you it might not work out, but maybe it will. In any case, parking at the hotel, checking in, getting our room keys (which are the EPs) and then walking on down to the boat dock or directly to the parks was easier than parking in the garage and walking to/through security and then through City Walk to the parks!

OP, the missing piece here is, as Carolyn alluded to, that you don’t actually have to STAY in the hotel. :-) Lots of people call this “booking a throwaway room” - that is, you pay for the hotel room in order to get the EP benefit, but you don’t ever need to even set foot in the room. :-) You just need to go check in at the front desk to get your room keys (which also serve as your EPs).

OP, the missing piece here is, as Carolyn alluded to, that you don’t actually have to STAY in the hotel. :-) Lots of people call this “booking a throwaway room” - that is, you pay for the hotel room in order to get the EP benefit, but you don’t ever need to even set foot in the room. :-) You just need to go check in at the front desk to get your room keys (which also serve as your EPs).
Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear! The first time we did that, I think DH and I took an afternoon nap in the room (we had to get up very early to get over to RP in time to check in and get our EPs before the parks opened), but otherwise we didn't use it. The second time, DH and I visited the room at PB just to see what it looked like (it was gorgeous, wish we had actually stayed there).

Yes, sorry I didn't make that clear! The first time we did that, I think DH and I took an afternoon nap in the room (we had to get up very early to get over to RP in time to check in and get our EPs before the parks opened), but otherwise we didn't use it. The second time, DH and I visited the room at PB just to see what it looked like (it was gorgeous, wish we had actually stayed there).
I think for those of us who are familiar with “throwaway rooms,” it was totally clear - but I wanted to give a “yeah, what she said!” to your suggestion and elaborate a bit for those who might not have heard the idea before. It’s definitely a great way to go!!!

I saw the crazy EP prices too. We already had 1 night booked at Portofino anyway. My impression was the cheaper, normal prices were available if you bought the pass far enough in advance (they are cheaper in late Aug for the rest of the year). I imagine they are trying to discourage day guests from buying it during COVID, so EP queues will be a better experience for their resort guests. I expect normalcy for EP pricing would return when the capacity and distancing go away.

I don't know when you're planning on going to Universal, but doing without the Unlimited Express Pass is really difficult at crowded times. We were there during spring break & the line for Flight of the Hippogriff (the baby HP coaster) was over 60 minutes without UEP. They were allowing 6 groups of UEP to load before letting 1 group of non-UEP load. The Kong non-UEP wait time was over 2 hours. I couldn't bring myself to pay $309+tax per person for the out-of-pocket UEP which was not discounted at the gate. I do think the advice from PP to book a Premier resort that include UEP is the way to go. The only rides with low wait times without UEP were the ones in Seussland while all of thrill rides were about 45 minutes+.

I think it is so interesting how visitors have to book their hotel for a night to get the EP and it is cheaper than buying individual EP's. We are staying at Disney but want to go to Universal for a couple of days and it is so cost-prohibitive to add on EPs. Ugh!

I don't know when you're planning on going to Universal, but doing without the Unlimited Express Pass is really difficult at crowded times. We were there during spring break & the line for Flight of the Hippogriff (the baby HP coaster) was over 60 minutes without UEP. They were allowing 6 groups of UEP to load before letting 1 group of non-UEP load. The Kong non-UEP wait time was over 2 hours. I couldn't bring myself to pay $309+tax per person for the out-of-pocket UEP which was not discounted at the gate. I do think the advice from PP to book a Premier resort that include UEP is the way to go. The only rides with low wait times without UEP were the ones in Seussland while all of thrill rides were about 45 minutes+.
Do you think getting like a 4 day ticket would work to get more rides in over multiple days by arriving early rather than paying extra for EPs (if staying off site)?

Reactions: AJA
Do you think getting like a 4 day ticket would work to get more rides in over multiple days by arriving early rather than paying extra for EPs (if staying off site)?
4 days with no EPs and getting there bright and early each day should work out. You should do the big, popular rides in the AM and then enjoy the less popular rides, play areas, shows and snacking mid-afternoon. Things will die down again late afternoon. Eat lunch early so you can be riding while others are waiting in line for food.

I think it is so interesting how visitors have to book their hotel for a night to get the EP and it is cheaper than buying individual EP's. We are staying at Disney but want to go to Universal for a couple of days and it is so cost-prohibitive to add on EPs. Ugh!
A lot of people change their lodging to do a split stay vs a throw away room. So, that's a good option. Also saves on commute time, gives you early entry and a nice place to return to mid-day if you want a pool break, nap or dry clothes after the water rides. Unlike Disney, the hotels are really close by, especially the top 3 hotels. You can walk there in 5 minutes.
Disney, until Covid, had their own perks to try and entice onsite as well. :)

Great info all thx for sharing. Keep saying we ll get there but haven’t yet..

So booking a throwaway room sounds really intriguing to me. We already have a room for 6 at Cabana Bay for 3 nights with 4 day tickets. Buying 6 EPs for 1 day for $250+ each was giving me pause, but adding a suite at Hard Rock (necessary for 6) for 1 night as a throwaway room for roughly $1500 total means I would essentially be halving the cost by getting Day 2 of EPs for free.

My only question is, does the front desk need the tickets and guest names in order to issue the express passes? It doesn't matter that I would have the tickets from another transaction outside of the throwaway room? I assume I need to check in at Castaway Bay first to get tickets and then head to Hard Rock.

So booking a throwaway room sounds really intriguing to me. We already have a room for 6 at Cabana Bay for 3 nights with 4 day tickets. Buying 6 EPs for 1 day for $250+ each was giving me pause, but adding a suite at Hard Rock (necessary for 6) for 1 night as a throwaway room for roughly $1500 total means I would essentially be halving the cost by getting Day 2 of EPs for free.

My only question is, does the front desk need the tickets and guest names in order to issue the express passes? It doesn't matter that I would have the tickets from another transaction outside of the throwaway room? I assume I need to check in at Castaway Bay first to get tickets and then head to Hard Rock.

You don’t need park tickets to get your EP, and you can buy them from anyone. EP is a perk of just staying at the hotel regardless of anything else.

The front desk will issue room keys which is your EP, with names on of everyone registered in the room. The name of each person and length of stay is printed on each room key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter