• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Expedition Everest Challenge 2014

I'm going with a zebra theme. I have a black tank top, black and white striped sparkle skirt and a black headband with zebra ears. :)

Simple - and easy to run in. I have done some of the princess runs and this basic concept works great for me!

I think I am running in a costume - but I am feeling pretty silly about it sitting at home let alone at race time. It isn't much, but I wonder how many people will be wearing costumes?

It doesn't consist of much beyond a printed tank top and sock and and sparkle/tutu skirt because I am dreadfully worried about the heat (it is snowing here today and I have a wood fire roaring to keep the house warm - so anything about 10 degrees celcius is going to be a shock).

Unlike when you run at home, there will be people dressed up (some to the 9's, some comically, and some just in bright fun colors & sparkled). Have fun with it. Just be safe.

Yay!!! So excited! Anyone else running in a tutu?

My fiancee will be running in a blue tutu as part of her Miss Piggy/Wonder Pig costume. I'll be running as a mash-up of Kermit and The Incredible Hulk.

shameless3 said:
I think I am running in a costume - but I am feeling pretty silly about it sitting at home let alone at race time. It isn't much, but I wonder how many people will be wearing costumes?

This will be our first Expedition Everest Challenge, but I'd estimate that probaby half of the participants in the other races we've done wore some kind of costume or accessory (tutu) for the race. While not everybody does it, there are more than enough that you shouldn't feel silly about it; and those who don't certainly seem to enjoy seeing the different outfits those who do wear!

JagFanJosh, I may be joining you on the "gimp-n-limp" crew for this one. :(

Decided to do my jog tonight later than usual, since this event is at 10 PM. Didn't realize that the route I usually run has not very many streetlights. No problem, I'll just run on the edge of the road, I'm wearing bright neon yellow, no way anyone can not see me.

Wrong.

Had to jump off the road to avoid some nincompoop that apparently didn't want to give me any room (no sidewalks in my neighborhood). Twisted my ankle and my knee when I landed in some no so sturdy grass ground. I'm icing them and sitting with them propped up, and will be jogging with compression braces on both joints from now on (heck, I may just get some compression pants so I don't have to worry about knee braces) and if they're not feeling better by Thursday afternoon, I'm going to the doctor.

*NOT* the way I wanted this week to go. I guess this is the second thing that went crappy today, after finding out that my health insurance was canceled due to non payment ... even though I had autopay set up and never received anything that said the payments weren't going through (my granddad is paying my premiums for me, so I don't see the statements for his bank account). Ugh.

Oh no! Hope you feel better and it's nothing serious. Our gimpy crew is certainly growing. I just hope to be off crutches by race time at this point.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about this event for next year?

I'm in such a quandry right now. We told the kids that we would do this race next year when they are both old enough. Now that there is rumor that it might not happen, we would do our Plan B which is spring break at HHI.

Here's the dilemma...as DVC Members, we would need to book the studio (1 of 21 available) at exactly the 11 month mark which would be April 30...8 days away! I don't know what to do:confused3:eek::confused::sad1:. I really want to do this race, but if we can't, I would really rather go back to HHI next year for vacation instead of another WDW trip.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about this event for next year?

I'm in such a quandry right now. We told the kids that we would do this race next year when they are both old enough. Now that there is rumor that it might not happen, we would do our Plan B which is spring break at HHI.

Here's the dilemma...as DVC Members, we would need to book the studio (1 of 21 available) at exactly the 11 month mark which would be April 30...8 days away! I don't know what to do:confused3:eek::confused::sad1:. I really want to do this race, but if we can't, I would really rather go back to HHI next year for vacation instead of another WDW trip.

It's slated to be nixed next year and that this year is the final one.

However there are rumors of it coming back AFTER Avatar Land is complete. so who knows. :confused3

For any past runners, I was trying to get to packet pickup before 9am on Saturday. What are the chances I'll be able to get my packet, get some rundisney NB shoes (fingers crossed) and make it to the Poly for a 10:30am ADR?

For any past runners, I was trying to get to packet pickup before 9am on Saturday. What are the chances I'll be able to get my packet, get some rundisney NB shoes (fingers crossed) and make it to the Poly for a 10:30am ADR?

In the past, you check in at the NB reservation center and they text/email you when its your turn to go buy tour shoes, so you don't stand in a super long line and create a fire hazard. If you do that first and then go pick up your packet and stuff while you're waiting, and you have your own transportation or take a cab, you MAY make it.

The New Balance shoes will be on a first come first served basis for Expedition Everest - they aren't utilizing the virtual queue.

With that, getting your packet and shoes shouldn't take you that long I don't believe. If you estimate 30-45 minutes to get that done, you'd have about 45-60 minutes to get to the Poly, which seems doable. Keep in mind that Disney usually recommends leaving an hour or so for travel on reservations since you never really know how the buses will do for you. . . but if you're driving yourself, I think you could probably do it.

ETA: Something you could do in advance to help is visit a store with the model of New Balance shoes you're interested in buying. Make sure you like the feel and know what size you want in that model. That way you wouldn't have to try them on or anything - just tell them the size, pay, and get on your way!

The New Balance shoes will be on a first come first served basis for Expedition Everest - they aren't utilizing the virtual queue. With that, getting your packet and shoes shouldn't take you that long I don't believe. If you estimate 30-45 minutes to get that done, you'd have about 45-60 minutes to get to the Poly, which seems doable. Keep in mind that Disney usually recommends leaving an hour or so for travel on reservations since you never really know how the buses will do for you. . . but if you're driving yourself, I think you could probably do it. ETA: Something you could do in advance to help is visit a store with the model of New Balance shoes you're interested in buying. Make sure you like the feel and know what size you want in that model. That way you wouldn't have to try them on or anything - just tell them the size, pay, and get on your way!

Awesome, thanks! I was thinking it would be close but doable. It doesn't seem like there is much to the "expo" like other races. Great idea about trying on the same model beforehand - thanks again!

The New Balance shoes will be on a first come first served basis for Expedition Everest - they aren't utilizing the virtual queue.

With that, getting your packet and shoes shouldn't take you that long I don't believe. If you estimate 30-45 minutes to get that done, you'd have about 45-60 minutes to get to the Poly, which seems doable. Keep in mind that Disney usually recommends leaving an hour or so for travel on reservations since you never really know how the buses will do for you. . . but if you're driving yourself, I think you could probably do it.

ETA: Something you could do in advance to help is visit a store with the model of New Balance shoes you're interested in buying. Make sure you like the feel and know what size you want in that model. That way you wouldn't have to try them on or anything - just tell them the size, pay, and get on your way!

Great idea about trying them on in advance!

Disney buses can be SOOO unpredictable! We once left 1.5+ early for a reservation at 1900 Park Fare from Pop and arrived 45 minutes late. Thankfully that is the only time it has ever taken that long.

how does running in a team work? my teammate may not be able to run with me how does the effect my ability to finish? i cant imagine them giving someone a hard time in a disney race because your teammate isnt with you

Can you buy tickets for the after party at the Expo? I won't know if someone can join until Friday

how does running in a team work? my teammate may not be able to run with me how does the effect my ability to finish? i cant imagine them giving someone a hard time in a disney race because your teammate isnt with you

Technically, teams must start and finish both the 5K and the scavenger hunt together. As stated on page 2 of the Final Race Instructions, under both 5K Adventure Run and Scavenger Hunt, it says "Teammates ARE required to start and finish the 5K together and may assist each other on the obstacles." and "Teammates must begin and complete the Scavenger Hunt together and cross the finish line together."

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/everest/2014/Everest14FRI.pdf

That said, in reality, I don't think there is anyone that actually checks at either the start or finish of either part of the Challenge if you are part of a team or not or if your teammate is there, or even at any of the clues. From what I have seen, I don't even think two teammates running and doing the clues completely separately would even have difficulty getting separate clues for each of them if they wanted to. However, I've only completed past challenges with my teammate with me, so I can't say for sure that anything might actually be checked for teammates, but again, I just haven't seen anything that would suggest you couldn't be separate and be just fine.

I am driving from CSR to the event. Once my teammate and I are done with the race can we head to my car and head back to AK?

I do not want to do gear check and would prefer just leaving a backpack with a change of clothes in the car. (After doing a few local 5ks and mud runs we've become pros at changing in the car LOL!!!)

I assume they will give us some sort of wristband to track people for the after party.

Good luck everyone!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter