Expedition Everest Challenge 2014

Just curious, but why would you want a bib with someone else's name on it?

Honestly, I'm not sure how it all works but I have seen people selling theirs before and my mom is really dying to do the race! Wish I could say I knew more about my own request :laughing:

Honestly, I'm not sure how it all works but I have seen people selling theirs before and my mom is really dying to do the race! Wish I could say I knew more about my own request :laughing:

Do you mean your mom just wants the actual bib so she can pretend to run the race? Or you're trying to see if anyone is selling their racing spot? I'm really confused now.

Do you mean your mom just wants the actual bib so she can pretend to run the race? Or you're trying to see if anyone is selling their racing spot? I'm really confused now.

No, she does not want to pretend to run the race. Buying the bib means buying the spot in the race like the previous poster said. Sometimes people register and end up not being able to participate for whatever reason (injury, travel plans fall through, etc). They don't want to just completely lose their money as these are expensive races so they then try to sell their bib which is basically their spot in the race.

Like I said, I have not done this before but I have participated in a good number of Disney races and I know this happens. It's a long shot but it's worth a try to give my mom a chance to have her first runDisney experience. :thumbsup2

this is how it works. She buys someone else's bib. it has their name, information, etc on it. She can't get her info on it.. she is now that person. Search closer to race weekend on craigslist, they come out of the woodwork like crazy. That person can provide a signed waiver saying you/your mom can pick it up for them, and they keep the stuff... or they can pick it up and exchange cash elsewhere where no one is looking for the bib & tshirt.

remember that all of this is not allowed by runDisney, and if either you/buyer or the person selling is caught, both parties would be banned from all future rD events.

this is how it works. She buys someone else's bib. it has their name, information, etc on it. She can't get her info on it.. she is now that person. Search closer to race weekend on craigslist, they come out of the woodwork like crazy. That person can provide a signed waiver saying you/your mom can pick it up for them, and they keep the stuff... or they can pick it up and exchange cash elsewhere where no one is looking for the bib & tshirt.

remember that all of this is not allowed by runDisney, and if either you/buyer or the person selling is caught, both parties would be banned from all future rD events.

Goes to show I really don't know what I'm talking about with this! I had no idea it isn't allowed and definitely wouldn't do something that is not approved by runDisney.

Kinda sucks for people with extenuating circumstances that end up not being able to run, though. That's a lot of money to lose!

We would have run for a charity that had bibs left but they don't do that for the Everest Challenge. Oh well. Thanks for the info! Hope everyone has a great race! It was my first runDisney event and I know you will love it! :goodvibes

Goes to show I really don't know what I'm talking about with this! I had no idea it isn't allowed and definitely wouldn't do something that is not approved by runDisney.

Kinda sucks for people with extenuating circumstances that end up not being able to run, though. That's a lot of money to lose!

We would have run for a charity that had bibs left but they don't do that for the Everest Challenge. Oh well. Thanks for the info! Hope everyone has a great race! It was my first runDisney event and I know you will love it! :goodvibes

From what I've been told by a CM, if you pay for a race you can't run, you can transfer the cost of the race registration to another race on a different date.

I just saw a charity that was doing the EEC, I didn't really look into it, since I already registered. I will try to find it again and let you know what it was.

From what I've been told by a CM, if you pay for a race you can't run, you can transfer the cost of the race registration to another race on a different date.

I just saw a charity that was doing the EEC, I didn't really look into it, since I already registered. I will try to find it again and let you know what it was.

From what my friends have experienced in deferring a rD race: you defer your name/info to the next year's race, ensuring you will have a spot at the race. There is a deferral fee, which starts at about $45. However, you still have to pay the registration again, the amount you paid doesn't apply to the next year's registration. So for example, you paid $200 for the half marathon 2014. You defer to 2015. when registration opens, you have a specific link to use, and pay $200 again.

race fees are non-refundable and non-transferable which is noted in the terms & conditions that you signed when you paid for the race.

Here is the charity I found. I didn't really look into it, so I don't know anything about how this works.

http://www.noahslightfoundation.org/team_noah/expedition-everest-challenge/

Hopefully you can work something out and we will see you and your Mom at the race.

I wanted to mention this is a very pricey option, but the money does go to charity.

Expedition Everest Challenge
Package Cost: $500
This minimum fundraised amount includes:
One registration in the Expedition Everest Challenge on Saturday, May 3, 2014.
Pre-Race Meet Up with Team Noah.
Team Noah Accessory Package (including exclusive Team Noah Medal.)
Discounted Theme Park Tickets available.
Discounted Room Nights available at a Host Resort.
All the benefits provided by Walt Disney World.

Made it down to 14 min/mile on one of my half mile jog intervals tonight ... woot woot!! Overall I'm at 17 min/mile, so I'm on track to hit 16 min/mile with no problems. Bring it on!! :D

JillyBean1899 said:
Made it down to 14 min/mile on one of my half mile jog intervals tonight ... woot woot!! Overall I'm at 17 min/mile, so I'm on track to hit 16 min/mile with no problems. Bring it on!! :D

Nice work! You'll be there and then have an extra shot of energy to boot once you're actually in Animal Kingdom! :)

Who else will be there solo? Or will be ok with a solo guy joing in with a group for the after party?

Who else will be there solo? Or will be ok with a solo guy joing in with a group for the after party?

I'll be there solo too. I'm sure it's more common than we know.
I hope my brain functions well enough to do the clues alone.
Everything else is easy. :)

Is anyone else having a tough time? I'm not a runner at all but was using this race as motivation. Unfortunately I don't feel like I am making the progress that I would like. I've been following the C25k program but cannot for the life of me run more than 3 minutes at a time. I'm not concerned about the 16 minute mile requirement but would like to do better. Also, currently running on a treadmill due to living in WI. Anyone have insight in the conditions of running at 10pm in Florida? I'm assuming it will be much more humid than it is here currently.

Is anyone else having a tough time? I'm not a runner at all but was using this race as motivation. Unfortunately I don't feel like I am making the progress that I would like. I've been following the C25k program but cannot for the life of me run more than 3 minutes at a time. I'm not concerned about the 16 minute mile requirement but would like to do better. Also, currently running on a treadmill due to living in WI. Anyone have insight in the conditions of running at 10pm in Florida? I'm assuming it will be much more humid than it is here currently.

How fast are you trying to run? You might want to slow that speed, and then increase the walk speed to find what fits for you.

I was told it like this...
Your body is like your car. You know how you'll be going a certain speed, and you can tell the car is in between gears? Speed up a little, everything's great. Slow down a little, same thing.

You need to find your gears. For instance, I cannot do a thing at 3.9 - 4.1 miles an hour. It's painful. I slow to 3.8, perfect. I speed up to 4.3, again, perfect. So maybe mess with your Miles per hour a little.

Another thing I learned - do not run at an incline of zero for your whole run. give yourself some hills, while it seems counterintuitive, it is actually easier on the body.

Finally, if C25K isn't working for you, there's lots of programs. I actually found Hal Higdon works the best for me, because he gives so many different levels of ability. I was feeling terrible about myself until I read his 5K training program. I'm actually ahead of "schedule".

You're going to do great. :D

How fast are you trying to run? You might want to slow that speed, and then increase the walk speed to find what fits for you.

Wanted to second this. My personal experience was that when I heard I was supposed to run, I tried to really run. My fiancee and dad both have done the same thing with beginnger programs. Your intensity level doesn't need to be at a 10; remember that just going even a little faster than your walking pace for a longer period will quicken your overall average pace. Just as experienced runners may run a 5k faster than a marathon, so too will a beginner runner be able to run a 1:00 stretch faster than a 3:00 stretch.

Don't be afraid to back off the intensity a bit to last a little longer. Sometimes you can add by subtraction. ;):thumbsup2

I agree with previous posters on your training. Don't be surprised if your pace is a bit better during the race. The excitement and adrenaline seems to pulsate through everyone and it shows.

Weather...the past two years were warm and humid. To the point where I could physically ring my clothes out from the perspiration. Granted I do tend to sweat easily, but still. Be prepared and hydrate appropriately.

I'll be solo.

Does the DIS typically have a meetup during race weekend? If so, when does the planning get started for that?

WISHers tend to meet up on event weekends. But We arrange the meet up ourselves. A tongue and cheek 'rule' from another section of the boards says: You bring it up, you plan it. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter