• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Excursions - What did you do on PCC 1.0 and would you recommend it?

At the risk of asking the obvious, what is the "morning run?"

Loved the morning run Todd! It was hot, but I'm so glad I did it. I ran really slow and stopped alot to take pictures with Dave. It was a good time being almost alone on the island.

In December, it shouldn't be so hot or humid. Hopefully.

I understand it to be a run led by a DCL Cast/Crew member around the island. Speed and distance are up to the runner, if I understand it correctly. dpuck number number, mouseskywalker, firedancer and klam_chowder are some of the folks that did it on PCC 1.0. They can give a better answer. I am just looking forward to it for 2.0.

I recommend the actual Disney Excursion. You know what to expect then. The buses are clean, the drivers informative, and your return to the ship is guaranteed. I've heard reports about Nassau taxis, both good and horribly bad. I'd say going it on your own and hiring a taxi, is a gamble at best. I can say, we had more than enough time at the gardens, and the additional city tour was informative, and interesting. We also went and did some shopping on our own, but that was the big turnoff for us as far as the Nassau atmosphere goes. When the tour ended we were ready to call it a day and get back on the boat.

I wouldn't dis the disney excursion but . . . we did the Wonder in December 08. We hired a cab at the port and for $25 a person were driven to several areas on the island. The driver pointed to several places without letting us out - government buildings, homes etc. - and stopped at Fort Fincastle and Atlantis long enough for us get our fill. DW enjoyed it greatly which means, of course, that she was never uncomfortable. It may not be for everyone but we had a good experience.

Todd covered it for the most part. You meet up with a CM, they point out the route and you take off. Once you start running they leave you in the dust (at least they left me in the dust) and you are on your own from that point.

Podcast scheduling being kept in mind of course. Kim

We didn't do any excursions. The Nassau day was spent enjoying podcast activities.

Newbie here - so I was wondering how the Podcast activities fit into the trip schedule..:confused:

I don't want to miss a special Podcast event, but I also don't want to give up a shore excursion in Nassau either, specifically the Garden & City tour.

How far in advance did you know what was planned for each day and at what time as far as the Podcast actvities were concerned?

I can add one thing to this list. It isn't an "excursion" as such but I am still kicking myself for not taking my mask and snorkel with me to the adult beach. I could have spent hours just doing that.

Newbie here - so I was wondering how the Podcast activities fit into the trip schedule..:confused:

I don't want to miss a special Podcast event, but I also don't want to give up a shore excursion in Nassau either, specifically the Garden & City tour.

How far in advance did you know what was planned for each day and at what time as far as the Podcast actvities were concerned?

It was a few weeks out we knew stuff. Maybe a month? It was suggested that we book what we wanted while there was open availability. If it interfered with a Podcast event, we could reschedule the excursions. Most if not all are refundable as long as you do it at least three days in advance. The crew also tried to plan things so that it would interfere the least with everyone's schedule. We were luck enough to have the day at sea be packed full of stuff.

Originally this is how my day at Castaway Cay was planned:
8am Breakfast
10am Parsailing
12pm Lunch
2pm EcoTour (jet ski thing Paul discussed)
4pm Return to ship
With shopping, wading in the ocean and exploring in between activities.

This is how it ended up:
8:45 breakfast
10am parasailing
12:30 lunch
1pm wrote post cards
1:30 lounged with DISers on the adult beach
2:30 headed to party
4:30 reboarded the boat

I found out less is more. I am glad I didn't try to do two excursions. If it were a normal cruise and didn't know anybody outside of my traveling party, it would have been fine. However, I enjoyed spending time with others and just socializing.

We did the Segway Nassau excursion and you can judge from the pic in my signature that we liked it a lot. The people running it had lots of personality and the ride was fun.

That being said, we're staying on the ship next time. We overplanned on PCC 1.0 and would've liked to have had more down time.

ALSO - small word of warning - The excursion description said that water (very necessary in the heat) would be provided, but DCL still tried to sell us bottles on the ship at the excursion shipboard meeting place, implying that we'd need water. Water was later distributed at the actual excursion site once we got there. THANKS for nickel-and-diming us, DCL... :headache:

It was a few weeks out we knew stuff. Maybe a month? It was suggested that we book what we wanted while there was open availability. If it interfered with a Podcast event, we could reschedule the excursions. Most if not all are refundable as long as you do it at least three days in advance. The crew also tried to plan things so that it would interfere the least with everyone's schedule. We were luck enough to have the day at sea be packed full of stuff.

Originally this is how my day at Castaway Cay was planned:
8am Breakfast
10am Parsailing
12pm Lunch
2pm EcoTour (jet ski thing Paul discussed)
4pm Return to ship
With shopping, wading in the ocean and exploring in between activities.

This is how it ended up:
8:45 breakfast
10am parasailing
12:30 lunch
1pm wrote post cards
1:30 lounged with DISers on the adult beach
2:30 headed to party
4:30 reboarded the boat

I found out less is more. I am glad I didn't try to do two excursions. If it were a normal cruise and didn't know anybody outside of my traveling party, it would have been fine. However, I enjoyed spending time with others and just socializing.

Thanks so much Todd - that really helped me out. I was thinking of just renting some bikes on CC and then just kicking back on the adult beach. I have sort of planned than to be a R&R day and also knew that on PCC-1 there was a Podcast party. :beach:

since DH & I have never been to Nassau - I really want to do the Garden excursion. Hopefully that won't interfere with a Podcast event...

Did you pay for your segway tour through Disney? We booked through the Nassau visitors site.

Did you pay for your segway tour through Disney? We booked through the Nassau visitors site.

I paid for the tour through Disney. That way it is an official Disney excursion and they are going to wait for you if the excursion is delayed. Particularly in Nassau, I would only do "official" excursions. I may not do the Segway this time. I'm not sure. I know I am going to do Segway at Ft. Wilderness in April. The tours are similar in the type of terrain. I will say on Nassau, they are a bit more liberal with speed and maneuvers. That part was fun.

Kim

We did the Segway Nassau excursion and you can judge from the pic in my signature that we liked it a lot. The people running it had lots of personality and the ride was fun.

That being said, we're staying on the ship next time. We overplanned on PCC 1.0 and would've liked to have had more down time.

ALSO - small word of warning - The excursion description said that water (very necessary in the heat) would be provided, but DCL still tried to sell us bottles on the ship at the excursion shipboard meeting place, implying that we'd need water. Water was later distributed at the actual excursion site once we got there. THANKS for nickel-and-diming us, DCL... :headache:

:love:

Segway was awesome.....:woohoo:

We did get off in Nassau and got our passports stamped.
Took a quick stroll and took some pictures in front of the ship.
Then we got back on the ship for the fun..
On CC DS and I did the parasailing
Then DH and I did our bunch at Palo
Then back on to CC to the heads up bar for the party.
It was a very busy day for me with the children.
I felt like I spent most of my day running from one place to another.
I will plan things out better next time.
However I loved the parasailing and will do it again.
We wanted to do the bikes but did not have time..

I paid for the tour through Disney. That way it is an official Disney excursion and they are going to wait for you if the excursion is delayed. Particularly in Nassau, I would only do "official" excursions. I may not do the Segway this time. I'm not sure. I know I am going to do Segway at Ft. Wilderness in April. The tours are similar in the type of terrain. I will say on Nassau, they are a bit more liberal with speed and maneuvers. That part was fun.

Kim

:love:

Segway was awesome.....:woohoo:

I'm with Kim, Susan, and J/Kim...Segway tour was AWESOME! I had so much fun with that, and still remember the incredible smell of jasmine as we rode through the "jungle". I'd do it again, and I agree, I'd book it through Disney, just so you have that assurance of getting back on the ship...with the driver we had, and the VAN we had, that was by no means a certainty! Although he was even a good part of the entertainment...loved the girls, though!

And I really HIGHLY recommend the parasailing on Castaway Cay. I recommend getting...what was it? Submarined? Torpedoed? Whatever everyone told them to do to me, get that. The water is WONDERFUL!

I will agree with the parasailing on Castaway Cay- it was my first time, and I was a bit nervous as I am afraid of heights, but it was amazing, and to my surprise not frightening at all. I just loved it, we are doing the western carribean on the Magic in August and we are signed up again! Highly recommend-

I will agree with the parasailing on Castaway Cay- it was my first time, and I was a bit nervous as I am afraid of heights, but it was amazing, and to my surprise not frightening at all. I just loved it, we are doing the western carribean on the Magic in August and we are signed up again! Highly recommend-

How did those pics turn out (before the battery died)? Okay, I hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter