• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exclusive Baby Gorilla Photos! (plus bonus Trip Report) - June '15 - completed 10/23 - Page 31

We're waiting inside now, and it's a bit boring. I've already seen all the 1980s low A/high B-level celebrities adorning the walls 100 times, and we know where the Hidden Mickeys are. Sitting here now is about as exciting as watching tumbleweeds roll through Rock Ridge.

"Rock Ridge! Rock Ridge! Splendid!"

Thanks, Harvey! Finally, our name gets called, and it's off to our seats for dinner!

"Go! Enjoy yourself, for God's sake! Get your mind off the Wentworth murder... Accident! Accident!"

That will be enough, Harvey. But thanks.

"Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!"

*Sigh*

Sheesh. Alright, with that nonsense finally over, it's time to eat.

Fun theming in here!

Hey, we were at Guerre Stellar Weekends a few days ago!

Now, we're here!

Bread sticks kick it all off:

We're big bread fans. Including this bread.

We place our orders, and while we wait, the other three pose for a photo:

Annnnnnd then we wait some more. Emily and I work on the kids' activity thing (Guardians of the Galaxy-themed) for a little, but it's taking really long to get our appetizers. C'mon, not again!

The food finally arrives. With the Fantasmic! Dinner Package, we get appetizers! It's like being on the old dining plan, but still paying gratuity. Remember how awesome the standard dining plan used to be?

Anyway, I got the Seared Fennel-Crusted Tuna:

It was good, but I prefer my tuna to be not even panseared. 100% raw is best!

Kristin got the Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-ripened Tomatoes:

That's a winner.

Dylan opted out of the appetizer. We were eating enough anyway, so we didn't bother to get it for ourselves.

But that was good! Now, let's wait for our entrees!

Waiting...

Waiting...

Last edited:
No!!! This is just like last night. If not worse. The server is nice, but largely absent. And our food is nowhere to be found. And the kids...well, you know.

FINALLY, it arrives. I have a lot of patience for restaurants, but two nights in a row is a bit irritating. Especially on vacation!

Fortunately, the food once again saved the dinner I'm not a huge fan of getting Italian food out, but the chicken parm WAS really good.

Far from the best meal I've had this trip so far, though. But still good.

The kids got boring pasta dishes:

Emily got minestrone, too, but I forgot to photograph it.

The dessert at least came out reasonably quick. It's one of those "we bring you stuff you don't get to pick, and you end up eating all of it." I honestly don't remember what's what, or how it was. But here it is, anyway:

The tiramisu(middle) was great, so I do remember at least that. Emily got the much-more-exciting spaghetti cupcake. Here it is, without the "sauce":

And here it is, with the "sauce":

She loved it, and the little bit I tried was really good.

Alright, let's get out of here. We've been here long enough!

Overall, the meal was probably my least favorite of the trip (so far), but it wasn't awful. Disney standards. But we mostly did it for the Fantasmic! seating, anyway.

Outside we go now, on our last night at Hollywood Studios. So, what should we do? We've done everything we've wanted to do at DHS this year. What's left? Well, let's think about it over some photos:

And what the hey, let's get our picture with Lightning McQueen and Mater. It's not like there's a line!

And, of course, the girls need to get these pictures:

What, no carriage?

Booooo!

Kristin finally gets to really look at Rumpel- um, I mean, "Mr. Gold's" antique shop:

We walked back toward Star Tours, and as we turn the corner, we spot Dylan's and my Sensei from MMA, whom we didn't know was coming to Disney. I knew he would be on vacation the same time we were, but I didn't know where he was going. That said, I had a feeling we'd run into him in Disney, for some reason. I even told Kristin that before the trip. And here he was. Bizarre!

He and his family were on their way to Mama Melrose, while we were on our way to cash in our Star Tours FPs. Look, another in-ride photo!

Amazing, isn't it?

The ride is a blast, as always! But that wraps up our DHS rides for this year. It's time for Fantasmic!

As most of you know, the Fantasmic! theater is actually farther away from the rest of DHS than Universal Studios is. True fact. We find our way there in spite of the vast distance, and make our way through merchandise alley.

One of the stands is selling the Glow-with-the-Show ears, which we're mildly interested in. The also have some sort of magic wand contraption, which the CM explains also glows with the show.

But wait, there's more!

Like the ears, you can also set them to any color you want.

But wait, there's even more!

The wand has the ability to change the color of any nearby ears. Or wands. Whoa. THAT IS AWESOME.

The kids want them, but they've spent all their money. So no go. They're not happy, but oh well.

We sit, and this is our view:

Here are the kids. Dylan, of course, can't sit for five minutes without playing some sort of video game:

We don't let him play in queue or at dinner, but here's ok. I guess.

Here we are:

Afterwards, Kristin leans over to me and tells me she's going to go get the kids the wands. Without telling them. And she does. And they're happy.

And let me tell you, those things were worth every penny.

Two boys in the row in front of us had the ears, and kept setting them to specific colors. Our evil kids would then change the color from behind, with the wands. The boys would look around, but had no idea what was happening. It was hilarious! Kristin and I even got in on it, changing the ears of anyone who dared wear them around us. Expecto Patronum!

(My patronus, if you're wondering, is a gorilla. Obviously. Hey, remember how cute those baby gorillas were?

Awwwww.....:))

So the show starts, and the show is spectacular. I don't quite understand the flow of it, but it looks cool. Lots of cool effects. And music. And every character ever. I still think it's a ripoff of "Nightmare on Elm Street". But one of the best shows, nonetheless!

Sorry for the lack of photos, but as you know....night...camera...

With the show now over, we tried our best to get out of there as quickly as possible. We were trying to get to the same spot on Hollywood Main Street USA that we had for the Star Wars fireworks. And it looks like we'll make it with plenty of time.

The next chapter could be called, "We Haven't Taken Any Fireworks Photos Yet, So Why Start Now?" But I'm not creative enough to have chapter titles. So let me do my best to drag this one out, in lieu of photos.

Like the Star Wars fireworks, this show had a whole stage element around it, with the expected characters showing up and getting the crowd riled into a riot-like frenzy.

Then, the fireworks started. Also like the Star Wars show, this one was a fireworks display synched to music. So we got the Frozen soundtrack played for us, with fireworks exploding to the music. Awesome!

The show wrapped up with Elsa using her magic.....WHOA!

It's snowing! In Hollywood Studios! We were right under it when it started, but quickly moved to get out of the park promptly.

The show was great, but I think the Star Wars music was synched better. Either that, or Star Wars music just lends itself better to a fireworks show. Probably the latter. It was still a great show, and it was fun seeing two different fireworks shows in a park where we usually don't see full fireworks shows. And it was SNOWING.

The CBR bus stop is right outside the park exit, but there's already a line. We get on the second bus, though, so it's not that long of a wait.

The driver takes a wrong turn trying to get out of DHS, and covers it up nicely with some vaguely-believable story. She turns around, and we're on our way. She was very talkative, and a lot of fun, so it was all good.

We get back to CBR and are in bed by 10:45. Caribbean Beach is REALLY close to DHS. I think it has the best location of anywhere we've stayed so far.

So that does it for Hollywood Studios. In the weeks after the trip, we would learn about all of the perennial favorites that are going away, but hopefully not permanently. Holding out hope!

Tomorrow, it's our last full day, and our last park day. Magic Kingdom. And we ain't sleepin' in, either.

Good night!

(Up next, Day 11, and our last day at Magic Kingdom!)

Last edited:
The also have some sort of magic wand contraption, which the CM explains also glows with the show.

And let me tell you, those things were worth every penny.

Yes and yes! We bought Keira a wand last year, she STILL plays with it. The batteries literally just died this weekend so we have to replace them, but she loves that thing. I didn't know it could change the colors of the ears though... THAT'S pretty cool!

I love Fantasmic!

Sorry to hear about the wait at Mama Melrose. We also had a very sub par visit there. They wound up comping Chris's dinner because his steak was just awful. We didn't complain, but the waitress saw he didn't eat it. So they at least made it right. The dessert was fantastic there though.

Sorry to hear about the wait at Mama Melrose. We also had a very sub par visit there. They wound up comping Chris's dinner because his steak was just awful. We didn't complain, but the waitress saw he didn't eat it. So they at least made it right. The dessert was fantastic there though.

While our server was nice this year, the service in general was really slow. This was actually the first time we've been back after having a terrible server a few years ago. I do like the food, though, but there are a lot of better places, IMO.

Off topic, I somehow missed you completing your Trip Report. Guess I have some reading to do!

We've never eaten at Mama Melrose .... being NY area based we tend to be snoby, er, picky, when it comes to Italian food while traveling so we actually haven't eaten at any Italian restaurants at Disney (though I think at some point I need to break that rule at least for Via Napoli to try the pizza there). ....

... though the Guerre Stellar posters more Mama Melrose up the list as well.

Last trip we did the Fantasmic! package with Brown Derby and that meal took forever as well - to the point we thought we were going to be late for Fantasmic! and we had a 3 hour window from our ADR time

The food finally arrives. With the Fantasmic! Dinner Package, we get appetizers! It's like being on the old dining plan, but still paying gratuity. Remember how awesome the standard dining plan used to be?

YES! YES! YES! I totally remember that and it was awesome! Just great to get a ton of food and walk out without paying anything and it felt like the price of the package was totally worth it. Oh well.

Ok, those wands sound pretty cool. I love the idea of the Glow with the Show ears BUT you can't see the effect - so you are paying good money for others enjoyment (not that there is anything wrong with that) - but the wand seems like you and others can benefit (plus let your villainous side out a bit ;) )

Sounds like you got a decent spot for the Fireworks. We were only able to be a bit further back (we had to pick up our stroller after the show so that slowed us down ...dang 1 months old and them not being able to walk)so we were just beyond where the snow was

@TheMaxRebo I heard a reference to "The Max Rebo" on a podcast I was listening to... all I could picture was your avatar! Too much time on the Dis.

We're also from NY/NJ originally, I have no problem admitting that I'm an Italian food snob. Especially having an off the boat Italian father!

Sounds like you got a decent spot for the Fireworks. We were only able to be a bit further back (we had to pick up our stroller after the show so that slowed us down ...dang 1 months old and them not being able to walk)so we were just beyond where the snow was

We were pretty far back. You could see what was happening on the stage, but not very well. Fireworks were very visible, though, and we got out of the park pretty quickly :)

I didn't know the wands could change the colors of nearby ears. Now we are going to have to buy some next trip. My kids will have a blast with that.

Finally able to catch up!!

(I laughed out loud at your version of the Canada song! Fun fact: the singer of the real song was one of the Canadian Idol winners back when that was a thing, and I've met her a couple times. She's wonderful! Also, not sure why they serve chicken and waffles at Le Cellier, since I've never had them here or heard of a place here that sold them.)

That Spaghetti and Meatballs cupcake is so cute!

Those Glow With the Show wands are hilarious! That's amazing that the kids could change those boys' ear colours without them having any idea, I would've been having a hay day with that. Definitely seems like it was worth the money.

Fantastic updates, as usual! Sad to see your trip coming to a close.

where Kristin eases the pain with a cronut
Those are so good! Ever since I learned about them I had wanted to try one, and we were so excited that they were at Disney!

IMG_4048_zpspna88mle.jpg
Looks delicious.

I see what was only the second demonstration of Disneybounding I saw on our trip, with a early-20s couple dressed in the colors of Ariel and Prince Eric. Pretty cool! But I really was expecting to see far more of this on the trip.
I didn't see a lot on our trip either, but I think unless you are really paying attention to people around you, you won't really notice it.

crowd riled into a riot-like frenzy.
Is it even Disney without a riot-like frenzy?

Howdy! I opened your TR last night when I was searching for 'June' info. What a fun trip you guys had.

Looking forward to more!

I bet it's not as good as Beverly Goldberg's famous shrimp parm.

To be fair, nothing is. :)

I didn't know the wands could change the colors of nearby ears. Now we are going to have to buy some next trip. My kids will have a blast with that.

You will, too! It's a lot of fun!

Finally able to catch up!!

Now I have to read your updates!

(I laughed out loud at your version of the Canada song!

Mine is actually the original, official version, from back when the Canada pavilion's official mascot was that Dreamweaver guy.

On the topic of Disney songs, I've found "Epcot Entrance Theme" to be the best station I've created on Pandora. You get a great mix of park music, songs from Disney films, and "Sound of Music". Of course, the problem with Disney music on Pandora is they also assume you want to hear the blasphemous "on Broadway" versions of the songs. No, I do not want to hear those. Thumbs down. Every time.

Fun fact: the singer of the real song was one of the Canadian Idol winners back when that was a thing....

Yeah, Martin Short (star of the classic film "Clifford") tipped me off to that, too.

...and I've met her a couple times.

Martin left that part out.

She's wonderful!

Cool! Celebs can be hit or miss!

Also, not sure why they serve chicken and waffles at Le Cellier, since I've never had them here or heard of a place here that sold them.)

C&W probably came to Canada via immigrants from the U.S.. At least, that's my theory.

That Spaghetti and Meatballs cupcake is so cute!

And good!

Those Glow With the Show wands are hilarious! That's amazing that the kids could change those boys' ear colours without them having any idea, I would've been having a hay day with that. Definitely seems like it was worth the money.

The only problem is the lack of Glow with the Show ears being worn outside of WDW! It would be great if this type of mayhem weren't just a once a year thing!

Fantastic updates, as usual! Sad to see your trip coming to a close.

Thanks! Not sure what I'll do when it's over. Probably start the next one, even though the trip won't be until next June :)

Those are so good! Ever since I learned about them I had wanted to try one, and we were so excited that they were at Disney!.

Kristin's cousin from Tennessee came up a few years back to visit. While he was up, he drove to NYC, specifically to get a cronut from the only place that has a trademark to call it that. I forget the name of the place. Kristin was very excited last year to find them in Epcot!

I didn't see a lot on our trip either, but I think unless you are really paying attention to people around you, you won't really notice it.

I was looking for it, and the only other obvious one I saw was a group of college-aged girls with summer dresses the color of the princess dresses (one had all yellow, one was powder blue, etc.). I really expected to see more!

Is it even Disney without a riot-like frenzy?

Good point. When I see Mickey, I feel I just saw the Beatles.

Howdy! I opened your TR last night when I was searching for 'June' info. What a fun trip you guys had.

Looking forward to more!

Glad you like it! I figure I probably have 4, maybe 5 more updates and this TR is wrapped up. I should be able to get at least one update out this weekend, provided we have power!

I'm dying lmao
I'm brand new to the trip report phenomenon but yours are hysterical. Can't wait to read more.

Thumbs up for not allowing my TR to scare you off of Trip Reports in general :)

Glad you're enjoying them! I should be updating this one this weekend.

:wave2: Over the last couple weeks I have read all your trip reports (really missed 2013:earseek:) :disrocks:
You have me very excited about the world showcase with all the pictures. We are going next June and I know you don't tell when you are going but I will keep my eye out for your kids. By the way the photo of Emily pulling the sword out the stone and Dylan looking on in disbelief :eek: is my favorite of all the pictures you poseted.::yes::

Kristin leans over to me and tells me she's going to go get the kids the wands. Without telling them. And she does. And they're happy.

That's the way to go, then they are more appreciative lol. That's too funny about the ears. It reminds me of when my DH took DD to the Ariana Grande concert - they had headbands that did something similar. That must have been really funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter