Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be staying one night at Kidani on a DVC room only reservation with no park tickets this trip. Will we still receive Magic Bands or just standard room keys? After Kidani and a short stay at Universal we will be checking in at Vero Beach. Can our Magic Bands be reactivated as room keys at Vero? I asked in the Vero forum and was told that Vero doesn't offer Magic Bands but I read in a non-Dis forum that it was possible to use Magic Bands there they are just not given out like on-site resorts. Anyone know for sure or tried it themselves?

We will be staying one night at Kidani on a DVC room only reservation with no park tickets this trip. Will we still receive Magic Bands or just standard room keys? After Kidani and a short stay at Universal we will be checking in at Vero Beach. Can our Magic Bands be reactivated as room keys at Vero? I asked in the Vero forum and was told that Vero doesn't offer Magic Bands but I read in a non-Dis forum that it was possible to use Magic Bands there they are just not given out like on-site resorts. Anyone know for sure or tried it themselves?

Getting Magic Bands is dependent on staying on property, not on having tickets. I would assume that Magic Bands only work at WDW.

as mentioned, free magicbands are for resort guests so you should be eligible for them and getting them as they are your room key and other resort options.

Magicbands are a disney created technology and while some resorts and cruises have something similar they are not compatible. What you might have read was people that used one of the phone/watch apps that allows you to use them as your hotel key but that only works at specific chains. magicbands shouldn't work anywhere but disney.

We have a split stay coming up in October. Our original reservation was entirely at AoA - I made the magic band requests a while ago and those are still intact on MDE. Last week I split our stay and we're at Poly now for the first half of the trip. The Poly reservation now shows a "get started" button on the magic band page. Does this mean each member of our party will receive two magic bands? One for the Poly stay and one for the AoA stay?

We have a split stay coming up in October. Our original reservation was entirely at AoA - I made the magic band requests a while ago and those are still intact on MDE. Last week I split our stay and we're at Poly now for the first half of the trip. The Poly reservation now shows a "get started" button on the magic band page. Does this mean each member of our party will receive two magic bands? One for the Poly stay and one for the AoA stay?
Yes but they will link up to everyone just like the AoA MBs. You can decline the Poly MBs unless you would like to choose different colors.

Yes but they will link up to everyone just like the AoA MBs. You can decline the Poly MBs unless you would like to choose different colors.

Ok, that's kind of cool! Doesn't hurt to have an extra for the kiddos as I have ZERO faith that they will not lose theirs immediately. Thank you!

I called Vero Beach Resort this afternoon and was able to confirm that if our reservation is linked to the on site reservation through MDE our Magic Bands will work as room keys only-they are not set up yet for charging etc but I really just wanted them as room keys because I hardly ever have pockets :)

I also have one more band question.

My kids are saving up to buy the specialty Magic Bands at Disneystore.com. Do I order the standard Magic Bands online and if we end up purchasing a specialty band just change out the numbers online somehow--or can they switch the bands for us at check-in? I just want to be sure we all have room keys in case they decide to put their money towards something else since they still have some time for indecisiveness!

My kids are saving up to buy the specialty Magic Bands at Disneystore.com. Do I order the standard Magic Bands online and if we end up purchasing a specialty band just change out the numbers online somehow--or can they switch the bands for us at check-in? I just want to be sure we all have room keys in case they decide to put their money towards something else since they still have some time for indecisiveness!

You can have dozens of bands that all work for everything. Get the ***free**** bands, if you order something else or get one while at WDW then both bands will work and you can use them interchangeably. There is nothing to swap, they aren't your tickets or anything they are just a band the identify who you are so they can look you up in the computer automatically. again, they are FREE, take them. I think have 15 bands, 4 cards, and orders for 2 more attached to me and I can grab any one of them and use them.

disneystore in my experience has the least amount of bands, shop disney parks app has the next least but lately has some only in that app merchandise (maybe you can ship home before you go from the parks) and then the parks has the most including custom band options. Just get the free ones and look what is at the parks when your there and you'll decide if it's worth the cost to get something else.

There's no changing or switching necessary - both bands can be linked and both will work.

I didn't see this exact answer anywhere and we have a large group, so I'm just trying to clarify things... 14 of us are doing a split stay off property the first week and at BWV the 2nd week. We all have 10 day park hoppers. We're buying the kids specialty bands because they'll think they're cool and fun. My question is even though the adults will have the generic hotel magic bands, we can't use them until the 2nd week when we're staying on property even though it's the same 10 day ticket? We have to use cards the first week? One of the couples going has AP, with memory maker and since we're all connected with MDE we can use our park card to add pictures to the account? The kids with their special bands can use those for FP+ and pictures? When we get to the parks their bands should work immediately at the gates, no "activation" necessary? Thanks, sorry for all the newbie questions!

I didn't see this exact answer anywhere and we have a large group, so I'm just trying to clarify things... 14 of us are doing a split stay off property the first week and at BWV the 2nd week. We all have 10 day park hoppers. We're buying the kids specialty bands because they'll think they're cool and fun.

1. My question is even though the adults will have the generic hotel magic bands, we can't use them until the 2nd week when we're staying on property even though it's the same 10 day ticket?

2. We have to use cards the first week? One of the couples going has AP, with memory maker and since we're all connected with MDE we can use our park card to add pictures to the account?

3. The kids with their special bands can use those for FP+ and pictures?

4. When we get to the parks their bands should work immediately at the gates, no "activation" necessary? Thanks, sorry for all the newbie questions!

1. Nope. The Magic Bands access what's in your MDE account. The tickets are in your MDE account, so your Magic Bands will access them. The only way the Magic Bands are connected to your hotel stay is that you're getting them free because you're staying on property. People who are staying off property can buy Magic Bands.

2. Nope, see #1.

3. Yep.

4. Yep.

14 of us are doing a split stay off property the first week and at BWV the 2nd week. We all have 10 day park hoppers. We're buying the kids specialty bands because they'll think they're cool and fun. My question is even though the adults will have the generic hotel magic bands, we can't use them until the 2nd week when we're staying on property even though it's the same 10 day ticket? We have to use cards the first week? One of the couples going has AP, with memory maker and since we're all connected with MDE we can use our park card to add pictures to the account? The kids with their special bands can use those for FP+ and pictures? When we get to the parks their bands should work immediately at the gates, no "activation" necessary? Thanks, sorry for all the newbie questions!

Because your staying at BMV you'll get free magicbands as you already know for everyone on that reservation. They will arrive in time assuming you'll be at home to receive them before heading to your week off site. While off site, the bands will work for tickets, fastpass and photopass. Once you check into BMV (or online checkin txt's you the room number), everyone on the reservation will also be able to use the magicband for hotel features such as room key, charging to the room and if you have a meal plan that will activate also.

Activation: If your tickets are standalone (purchased separate from the room) there is nothing extra you need to you. If your tickets are part of the BMV reservation and that was a package deal then you'll need to do an extra stop to get them activated while your doing your offsite stay before they will work. Not a big deal, just stop at guest relations found between security and the "turnstyle" and any cast member once you pass security and point out where they are. (it'll be a window or two to the left or right of the entrance). It's rather painless and usually quick depending on the crowd and who has ticket problems that morning. I believe the current policy is disney will activate tickets up to 10 days early.

For photopass photos, just make sure everyone with a my disney experience (mde) account are all linked together and then everyones photos will show up for each other. You can link them anytime including before or after the trip and nothing will get lost, they do not need to be linked first.. Photopass photos are free to take so go nuts. The friend with an AP is the one that will be able to download them and distribute them to everyone after (or even during) the trip.

Apologies if someone has already asked this, but hypothetically, if I have a limited edition MagicBand that is nearly 2 years old that I want to wear for aesthetic purposes, but don't want to run the risk of SDMT or Frozen Ever After, etc. not catching my photos/videos automatically, can I just keep a newer one in my backpack and not have to worry? Or will there be any weird interference having multiple bands for a single person?

Apologies if someone has already asked this, but hypothetically, if I have a limited edition MagicBand that is nearly 2 years old that I want to wear for aesthetic purposes, but don't want to run the risk of SDMT or Frozen Ever After, etc. not catching my photos/videos automatically, can I just keep a newer one in my backpack and not have to worry? Or will there be any weird interference having multiple bands for a single person?

I do this and never had a problem with ride photos.

I haven't been able to read the whole thread, but I haven't found anything via the search function that answers this question, so hopefully I'm not being overly repetitive.

I'm travelling with my extended family, husband, and 5 kids. Our 2 year doesn't require a ticket, but we'd like for her to have a MagicBand. That's primarily because she will inflict upon everyone at DisneyWorld the sort of tantrum only a 2 year old is capable of if everyone else gets to use one and she doesn't, lol, but also because she's a bit of a "bolter" and while we obviously intend to NOT lose her... stranger things have happened.

However, since she's only 2 and doesn't need a ticket, her Magicband will not be activated, right? What does that mean, exactly? Will the tracking feature work? Will she be able to participate in the interactive games/activities?

Some of our extended family are only joining us for the first day of our two-week trip. If they were to give her their MagicBand after that first day, would that change anything? Ie, could their bands, linked to used/expired tickets, allow her to participate in interactive games and be tracked should she escape?

I realize this is a bit of a weird scenario; hopefully you (or someone else) is able to help me out here! :) Thanks!

I realize this is a bit of a weird scenario; hopefully you (or someone else) is able to help me out here! :) Thanks!

I wouldn't call it weird, many under 3 kids come to disney. This is actually a very interesting question and my daughter was much older when magicbands started so I'm not really sure what happens with someone under 3. Hopefully someone who has experience with this will see and reply, I would love to update the faq with the answer as well...

Does a 2 year old get added to the room reservation? While waiting, I would call up disney and ask them about a 2 year old and do they get a magicband also.

I don't think there is a single interactive game that uses the bands, photo pass photographers, opening the hotel room door, and maybe one of the storyteller signs with her name on it might appear but that's going to be it as far as what a 2 year old might see/want to do..

We're actually staying off-site, so in our case the room reservation, door opening, etc, are moot. I'm more concerned about the tracking feature. I was under the impression that things like Agent P, Sorcerers of MK, etc, used Magicbands; not sure how I got that idea, but I'm glad to hear she'll be able to participate without a working band!

We're actually staying off-site, so in our case the room reservation, door opening, etc, are moot. I'm more concerned about the tracking feature. I was under the impression that things like Agent P, Sorcerers of MK, etc, used Magicbands; not sure how I got that idea, but I'm glad to hear she'll be able to participate without a working band!

agent p uses a mobile device (you can use your phone with an app or they provide you with one), sorcerers and the pirates in MK can use a magicband but they will provide a card if you don't have one just make sure you let them know. You can always buy her a band if you really think she'll need one or it's that important to keep the peace with the rest of the family.

-- Peeling question--
I received my yellow MB (WOO HOO!). I've heard that the bands have a tendency to peel off. Would anyone recommend using a drop of crazy glue at both ends to keep it fixed?
All input welcome.

Has anyone else had issues with the magic bands not arriving timely? My magic bands shipped early last week and have been sitting in PA since Saturday 8/20. The estimated delivery on MDE was 8/22-8/24. I contacted usps and they told me that because WDW shipped them parcel post that until the truck was full they will not move from their current location. I'm concerned how much longer it will take to fill the truck in PA, then they will probably have a few more stops between PA and ME. If it takes a week at each stop, will I get them before my trip? Every previous trip I had them within a few days of WDW shipping them, I'm really concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter