Everything you need to know about MagicBands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a little known fact that to recycle your magic band, you can drop it off at any guest relations location. WDW is not into filling the landfills with magic bands, please dispose of them properly.

Getting that band fixed took 3 hours and I had to run to guest relations where I had to wait an hour while they ran to a store to "activate it" as they said. What I saw happen last trip is they use the machine to link it and the activate is when they scan the new band, they then ask if you want it linked. That first scan is when they activate it which i've come to learn means the bands serial number is put into the system so it can be linked but I'm sure it does more.

I'm open for any recommendations, I'm basically just saying make sure they use the machine even if you don't link it, if they just hand it to you it will be problems.
Perhaps if you described the "activation" into the Disney system as a two-step process. [MBs are active when produced but they aren't "active in the system"]

A: Activation of your newly purchased "Link It Later" MagicBand is a two-step process:
~ CM scans it to make it "live" within the in-park MagicBand system
~ The Guest (you) then link it to a specific MDE Profile

I didn't know of a better way to word it so I used the term I've been told at both pin traders, guest relations and by the IT staff when I had to call in a problem with a new band. I did notice last trip they don't say it anymore but if you buy a band and they just hand it to you, you can't link it to your mde account, you get an invalid message,call us for help.

I would suggest the following:

Magicbands sold on property are not registered with the MyMagic+ system. This means they are useless until CM at the shop registers the band. During registration, the band must be activated using a ticket/MDE account or registered with "Link it Later"; which makes the band available for users to enter onto any MDE account at any time.

It is a little known fact that to recycle your magic band, you can drop it off at any guest relations location. WDW is not into filling the landfills with magic bands, please dispose of them properly.

For someone visiting and in a resort room, I can't see that being convenient or people going out of their way after they are done with the room to recycle it. A local with it, I can't see them not keeping it for next trip. Is there anything in the resorts or any information you can link to for more infomration on recycling options? I also just shot out an email to guest services asking them for recycling options but at the parks and after you've had it for a couple years at home since it does have a battery in it.

I can help you about DAS. Guest services sets up the magic band for the DAS holder and his/her party. Anyone in the party can take the DAS holder's mb to an attraction to get a return time. Only one return time is allowed at a time. Upon the return, the DAS holder's mb must be scanned first. The light will turn blue alerting the cm of the DAS. After that, everyone's mb will turn the light green.

The following was adjusted from recommendations:

All section:

Q: I decided to buy one on property

A: Magicbands sold on property are not registered with the MyMagic+ system. This means they are useless until CM at the shop registers the band. During registration, the band must be activated using a ticket/MDE account or registered with "Link it Later"; which makes the band available for users to enter onto any MDE account at any time.

Request link it later if you want to add it to your MDE account later or have the cast member set it up for you right away, it only takes a few seconds.

Some bands cannot be setup as link it later. These are usually the highest priced, very limited seasonal bands. The bands that come out for MNSSHP and MVMCP are an example of this.

Resort guest section:

Q: I purchased a MagicBand on property as link it later and I cannot get into my room, use my meal plan or charge to my room. I already linked it to my MDE on my own.

A: In this scenario, only the park options will work with the band. You need to stop by the front desk or concierge to activate the room features. Keep the old band handy and stop at the front desk on the way back to your resort or when you wake up the next morning.

Side tip: If you used online check in and you linked it prior to getting a room number, the band will immediately work for everything. However, if you activated your tickets and meal plan with guest relations while waiting for your room it may not.

Second post bullet points:
- If purchasing on property, a cast member must set it up for you or add it to to the MyMagic+ system as link it later. If you want to add it to mde on your own, request link it later.
- If purchasing on property and the cast member just hands you the band, it is useless and not in the mymagic+ system yet, make sure they set it up or activate it for link-it-later.

recycling:

Q: What do I do with it when we're done?

A: Some keep them as keep sake. Some want to be green and save them in case they take another trip so they don't need more. Some turn them into holiday tree garland. It's another keepsake of your trip. Of course you can just dispose of it if you want. It's yours!

Side tip: Guest relations can recycle the magic band if you don't want it anymore. Just drop it off. (I'm also verifying if there is other options)

I don't see anything on the website. The information I have came straight from MK City Hall. Guest Relations in park and hotel have a recycling program, but it not well advertised.

I can help you about DAS. Guest services sets up the magic band for the DAS holder and his/her party. Anyone in the party can take the DAS holder's mb to an attraction to get a return time. Only one return time is allowed at a time. Upon the return, the DAS holder's mb must be scanned first. The light will turn blue alerting the cm of the DAS. After that, everyone's mb will turn the light green.

Deleted..

Nevermind, someone was able to get me a link to a thread. I'm just going to direct everyone to that thread and not try to upkeep a disability section here. They re very complete in that one.

I don't see anything on the website. The information I have came straight from MK City Hall. Guest Relations in park and hotel have a recycling program, but it not well advertised.

I"m at WDW on feb 22 so I'll inquire some more if nobody else chimes in by then. I'm updating it to say you can leave it with the front desk(unconfirmed)

I added simple disability sections that just direct everyone to the disability forum for up to date information on magicbands and their needs. It doesn't make sense to duplicate efforts and that forum is much more in tune with what is happening on this subject.

I also updated post 2 with more annual pass information including disneyland club33 and premium passport holders who can get a magicband for their WDW visit. (well you can just get it, you don't have to come here).

i'm in the process of adding what to do when your magicbands don't arrive and the shipping process, I'm not going to repost here (and it'll be a few minutes to get it in).

Wow, this was so helpful! My family and I are staying off property for our next Disney vacation, and I have been looking for more information about the MagicBand to see if it's worth it for us to purchase them. (I'm still not sure if we will... but you gave me all the information I will need to make a decision.)

Thank you so much, @Accident!

Thanks for a great thread! FYI we just used magic bands that were from sometime before July 2014, maybe even earlier that, and all ride photos showed up no problem. Would be nice if there was a way to tell the battery level...

I took my MagicBands home because they had charging privileges on them until midnight the day we left. I wasn't about to "just leave/recycle" my bands in the hands of strangers. I know the chances are slim of anything happening, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

Thanks for a great thread! FYI we just used magic bands that were from sometime before July 2014, maybe even earlier that, and all ride photos showed up no problem. Would be nice if there was a way to tell the battery level...

I agree, that's one thing I think they are missing. It seems to be the luck of the draw and probably how old your magicband was before you got it. I wouldn't wait 120 minutes to ride 7dmt a second time just because we didn't get a photo or video so I think the airing on the side of caution and what to look for is a good approach.

I took my MagicBands home because they had charging privileges on them until midnight the day we left. I wasn't about to "just leave/recycle" my bands in the hands of strangers. I know the chances are slim of anything happening, but I wasn't going to take the chance.

Do you happen to know if this information is posted anywhere? I've had charging stop exactly at the checkout time on every trip including last sept.

Do you happen to know if this information is posted anywhere? I've had charging stop exactly at the checkout time on every trip including last sept.

The CM behind the check in/out desk at the Contemporary told me this. I'm not sure if it is posted in writing. It is something to be careful about though seeing as our Magical Express picked us up at 5:00pm.....that could leave "anyone" with access to our Magicbands charging privileges several hours of shopping or dining fun until midnight!

i charge to my magic band on my last day in the parks after checkout on several trips no problems at all don't you know Disney loves that

The CM behind the check in/out desk at the Contemporary told me this. I'm not sure if it is posted in writing. It is something to be careful about though seeing as our Magical Express picked us up at 5:00pm.....that could leave "anyone" with access to our Magicbands charging privileges several hours of shopping or dining fun until midnight!

ok, I'll find a spot to highlight how to deactivate your bands and I completely forgot about the charging after you go part.. thanks!

i charge to my magic band on my last day in the parks after checkout on several trips no problems at all don't you know Disney loves that

I'm going to inquire when I check in in a couple weeks, I've never had it work after checkout. I wonder what was different about me.

This is kind of nitpicky, but my understanding is that it is not WIFI, it is RFID.
Let's go ahead and split this hair.
You're right about RFID being used at close range in the contact terminals... it's powered by the EM field emanated by the terminal like any other close-range RFID device. Most in-field RFID systems use the 125 or 134 KHz frequency range.

The long-range receivers, however, apparently operate in the 2.4 GHz band, squarely in (or slightly offset from) the standard WiFi (802.11b/g) frequency channels. While I can't speak to the protocol actually transmitted by the MagicBand for long-range comms, I believe it's probably similar to WiFi, sending a small packet consisting of a header bit (MagicBand comms), a MagicBand ID number, (the number on the back) and a check bit for error checking. That's why I used the term "WiFi" for the long-distance comms.

It's probably technically incorrect to call the long-range readers "WiFi"... if there's someone on board who can clarify, please jump in...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter