• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everything PhotoPass & Memory Maker

So I have read through this board and searched online and I find conflicting answers so I wanted to ask the experts. For ride photos, if someone has Memory Maker purchased and has new Magic Bands that are not old, will ALL ride photos attach to your MDE account automatically? I have seen that some people say that if you can see the photo at the end you need to still attached the photo by tapping the MB on the Mickey Head while others say that all are automatic now. Does anyone have experience with this? We are a Disneyland family so we are trying to understand the right way to make sure that we get all our ride photos. Thanks in advance.

So I have read through this board and searched online and I find conflicting answers so I wanted to ask the experts. For ride photos, if someone has Memory Maker purchased and has new Magic Bands that are not old, will ALL ride photos attach to your MDE account automatically?
They should link, but sometimes the long range reader fails. Many times I will manually link just to make sure.

I'll preface by say I haven't been back in over 18 months but I'm not sure what happens with rides like Test Track where guests had to tap their band to get the photo to attach. Does this still happen or are these automatically added now?

So I have read through this board and searched online and I find conflicting answers so I wanted to ask the experts. For ride photos, if someone has Memory Maker purchased and has new Magic Bands that are not old, will ALL ride photos attach to your MDE account automatically? I have seen that some people say that if you can see the photo at the end you need to still attached the photo by tapping the MB on the Mickey Head while others say that all are automatic now. Does anyone have experience with this? We are a Disneyland family so we are trying to understand the right way to make sure that we get all our ride photos. Thanks in advance.
They should link, but sometimes the long range reader fails. Many times I will manually link just to make sure.
I'll preface by say I haven't been back in over 18 months but I'm not sure what happens with rides like Test Track where guests had to tap their band to get the photo to attach. Does this still happen or are these automatically added now?
On our visits in November, December and March we found photos generally linked without tapping. All of ours came through. On past trips I have sometimes had to use the Lost Photos link on the PhotoPass website to ask them to find a missing photo, but not on any of our most recent trips.

On our visits in November, December and March we found photos generally linked without tapping. All of ours came through. On past trips I have sometimes had to use the Lost Photos link on the PhotoPass website to ask them to find a missing photo, but not on any of our most recent trips.

Thank you. I will now be able to be comfortable not tapping our Magic Bands and will know they will just link automatically for all ride photos. If something gets missed we will submit a lost photo request.

Do you purchase Memory Maker when you visit WDW? is it good value? pros and cons?

interested in any feedback!

I would recommend doing a search for 'Memory Maker' on this board as there are a lot of informative threads about this, many since park re-opening since last July.

Go to the main list of threads for this 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' board
Click 'Search' in the top right corner
Enter 'Memory Maker' (if using a phone you may need to click the box twice to get your keyboard to open)
Select 'Just this board'
Click Search and many threads will be displayed.

I haven't been to Disney World in almost 5 years. Are you still able to add frames and such to the photos on the app or is that over. TIA

I haven't been to Disney World in almost 5 years. Are you still able to add frames and such to the photos on the app or is that over. TIA
Only in the app on Apple devices and it appears as if you need to have either purchased Memory Maker, have an Annual Pass with the download entitlement, or purchase the individual photo.

Only in the app on Apple devices and it appears as if you need to have either purchased Memory Maker, have an Annual Pass with the download entitlement, or purchase the individual photo.
Yea we are getting memory maker but I don't have apple. Bummer

How soon after they are taken can you see Magic Shots? My granddaughters are at a stage where they like to see photos on our camera as soon as we take them.

How soon after they are taken can you see Magic Shots? My granddaughters are at a stage where they like to see photos on our camera as soon as we take them.
We've had them take 24 hours, although sometimes less. The photo with us posing may pop up right away, but it takes some time for the special effect to be added.

Are there as many photographers in the park pre Covid or are they very hard to find? When you do find one are there long lines/ wait to have pictures taken? do many of them still offer the magic shots?

Are there as many photographers in the park pre Covid or are they very hard to find? When you do find one are there long lines/ wait to have pictures taken? do many of them still offer the magic shots?
We have seen pretty much the same number, and they still do magic shots (new ones!). The ones at the classic places like Main Street in MK were often pretty busy, but others were standing out looking bored until we came along. So just keep your eyes open and watch for them.

How do on-ride photos work for ones that you don’t tap, like SDMT, when the batteries in your magic band are dead? Our bands are from 2018, so likely dead. I have an iPhone and Apple Watch. Will either of those help?

I don't understand the one day memory maker for $69. Do you purchase it in advance and activate it for one day only? Or, can you wait until your pictures are taken and choose the best day to use it? I have a short trip (2.5 days) coming up and didn't want to pay for the regular Memory Maker. Thanks.

How do on-ride photos work for ones that you don’t tap, like SDMT, when the batteries in your magic band are dead? Our bands are from 2018, so likely dead. I have an iPhone and Apple Watch. Will either of those help?
Your 2018 MB may actually work, but there's no way to be certain until you ride something that relies on the long-distance linking. Currently the Bluetooth linking is in pilot testing, so if you have the notification in your MDE you're good with your phone. Bluetooth photo linking If not, you might consider buying one MB just to make sure you can get your photos.

We have seen pretty much the same number, and they still do magic shots (new ones!). The ones at the classic places like Main Street in MK were often pretty busy, but others were standing out looking bored until we came along. So just keep your eyes open and watch for them.
Disney announced the new night magic shots Feb 1 thru April 19 according to the Disney Parks Blog. I forgot all about reading that article. If you are planning to visit during this time and at night be sure to ask for them.

Do you purchase Memory Maker when you visit WDW? is it good value? pros and cons?

interested in any feedback!

I always purchase it! I tend to be the one taking pictures in our family, so without the Memory Maker, I'm never in any of the photos. Plus, I like having Memory Maker because we automatically get all of the ride photos, and there are always some good/memorable photos each trip. Also, every time we see a PhotoPass photographer, we stop to get a photo because why not? You can also ask them for Magic Shots, and they'll add Disney characters into your pictures with you!

Just in case anyone missed the news, Disney is now allowing mask-less photos, including PhotoPass photographers (technically starts tomorrow, but word from the parks is that PhotoPass photographers are already allowing it today).

Edited to add: This only applies to outdoor photos and you must be stationary.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter