• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I've never used Uber before, but I'm currently planning two fall trips (one confirmed, one tentative) and think Uber might solve some of my transportation issues.

But I have two quick questions:

1. How does pick-up work around Downtown Disney? Is there a common place where people can be picked up? Can you use your phone's GPS to give your exact location or will you still need to communicate with the driver? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the technology of this.

2. We are looking to get from a Universal hotel to Disney for the Halloween party on Halloween itself. Will we have any issues with getting a ride home at the end of the party (i.e. later in the evening)? Is there anything I need to be aware of or worried about?

Thanks in advance!

I've never used Uber before, but I'm currently planning two fall trips (one confirmed, one tentative) and think Uber might solve some of my transportation issues.

But I have two quick questions:

1. How does pick-up work around Downtown Disney? Is there a common place where people can be picked up? Can you use your phone's GPS to give your exact location or will you still need to communicate with the driver? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the technology of this.

2. We are looking to get from a Universal hotel to Disney for the Halloween party on Halloween itself. Will we have any issues with getting a ride home at the end of the party (i.e. later in the evening)? Is there anything I need to be aware of or worried about?

Thanks in advance!
You mean Disney Springs? :)

As with the parks, there are designated pick-up areas where Ubers are allowed to pick up. Currently, the only one is in the Strawberry lot, which is at the West Side taxi stand, between HOB & Cirque. We don't know what will happen after the Lime garage opens and the Marketplace bus loop closes, but it's certainly possible that an additional pick-up area will be designated closer to the Marketplace.

I don't know how the supply of drivers will be at WDW on Halloween. Maybe RideshareRob has a better idea. There are ther parties going on that night besides Disney's, like UO HHN and probably at the downtown Orlando bars, so drivers might be spread thin.

Has anyone used Uber to get around within Disney, like for Dinner at a different resort? We will be staying at BWV and want to get to Boma for Dinner??

Usually ubers wait across the street at Speedway, so youll be picked up really quickly. AKL is about a 12-15 min ride.

What is the max passenger capacity for UberX? Our party will be 4 adults, so if we call an UberX, can we reasonably expect to sit 3 in the back and one in the front? Would it be necessary to call or text the driver who accepts our fare before they reach us to warn them and confirm he or she can take 4 adults?

What is the max passenger capacity for UberX? Our party will be 4 adults, so if we call an UberX, can we reasonably expect to sit 3 in the back and one in the front? Would it be necessary to call or text the driver who accepts our fare before they reach us to warn them and confirm he or she can take 4 adults?

The max capacity is 4. So any vehicle that shows up will have seats and seatbelts for 4. Now, having said that...it depends on how big your adults are, and how you all feel about putting three of you in the back. UberX vehicles Ive seen at wdw include a VW Passat, Nissan Versa, and a Ford pickup truck. So, it really comes down to comfort. It is not uncommon for people to order an XL just for the extra personal space. I get parties of 1,2, or 3 more often than youd think.

Hi there.
We will be staying at Bay Lake Tower and need to pick up a hire car at Car Care Centre.
Should we use Uber or rely on the Alamo shuttle.
Sort of feel bad because its such a short trip.

Thanks

We arrived at CBR yesterday. We asked the Thomson rep about getting an uber to universal but she told us that over the past 4 weeks Disney have tightened up restrictions which means that uber are categorically not allowed to pick up on Disney property. She said the app would let us order an uber but it will never arrive.

This sounds suspicious to me...I think she's probably just trying to get us to pay them for a mears shuttle (which isn't too expensive actually! But obviously more than we would pay with uber - not sure whether I'm allowed to post the price or not).

Just wanted to ask whether anyone has had any problems using uber on site in the past couple of weeks?
Who is a Thomson rep? If she's a competitor you can bet 100% she's lying to get you to pay them.
No matter what, whoever she is she is wrong. We used them for pick up from Resorts 5 times from 5/5 to 5/10. At no time did the security guards give any grief. They didn't even want our MB when we were going to our resort, just the drivers's ID.

Has anyone used Uber to get around within Disney, like for Dinner at a different resort? We will be staying at BWV and want to get to Boma for Dinner??
That's when we use Uber every time. The bus system is a PITA to go resort to resort. We always call for Uber for those trips.

Last edited:
Hi there.
We will be staying at Bay Lake Tower and need to pick up a hire car at Car Care Centre.
Should we use Uber or rely on the Alamo shuttle.
Sort of feel bad because its such a short trip.

Thanks
I haven't seen anyone write about bad experiences with the CCC Shuttle. If you're flexible and not in a hurry, I'd say use the shuttle.

If you're in a hurry, use Uber/Lyft. If you feel guilty about giving the driver a short trip (which you shouldn't), throw him a couple of dollar bills. Tips are not expected (on Uber), but are accepted (cash only.)

just wanted to confirm, we used Lyft last week...it was great! we grabbed a quick ride between Pop-Dolphin, cost $6 and SO easy,the driver gave us a 'save 50%' card for our next ride in Orlando, which we used for trip to airport, which only cost $15! both trips quick pickup too!

I read somewhere that Uber will in fact pick up at MCO but it just can't be entered in the app as MCO? The blog I read said to move the "pin" outside the airport a bit then call driver right away and let them know you are actually in airport. The writer said it has worked for her.
But what about the hotel in airport. Is there a main entrance to the hotel where I can request Uber/Lyft?

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Uber will in fact pick up at MCO but it just can't be entered in the app as MCO? The blog I read said to move the "pin" outside the airport a bit then call driver right away and let them know you are actually in airport. The writer said it has worked for her.
But what about the hotel in airport. Is there a main entrance to the hotel where I can request Uber/Lyft?
I don't believe there is a separate entry point to the hotel. At any rate, it's at the airport so the app won't allow you to enter a pick up there either.
As for a driver picking you up anyway, I'd guess that's a gamble. If the driver is following the rules they won't do this. They know they are not supposed to pick up at the airport. I'm not sure if anyone monitors where they actually go vs. where they say the pick up is but I'd imagine if they do they could get in trouble or loose their driving privileges

If you must get picked up at the airport then I would take a shuttle to an off site hotel and get the pick up there

Does Uber have enhanced, detailed pickup for WDW Resorts?

ie, I land at most airports, and Uber recognizes I'm at an airport. It then gives me a sub-selection of which terminal and which door for the pickup.

So, would the Uber user app be intelligent enough for me to pin Port Orleans, French Quarter, and give a specific bldg?

ie, I land at most airports, and Uber recognizes I'm at an airport. It then gives me a sub-selection of which terminal and which door for the pickup.

So, would the Uber user app be intelligent enough for me to pin Port Orleans, French Quarter, and give a specific bldg?
It can get pretty specific. Plus, once you enter your pick up you can text the driver and give them your exact location. I make it easier on the driver and always go to the lobby.

I'm wanting to use Uber or Lyft to go from WDW resort to Port Canaveral on a Monday at around 9:30am. What can I anticipate in terms of wait time or availabilty for a car? Will the driver know how to get around at the Port and where to take us?

It does. However, unless you are staying at CBR, its best to send a quick txt to your driver to vmarify you want building pickup and not lobby.

*As stated in the OP, building pickup is not available at Coronado*

I'm wanting to use Uber or Lyft to go from WDW resort to Port Canaveral on a Monday at around 9:30am. What can I anticipate in terms of wait time or availabilty for a car? Will the driver know how to get around at the Port and where to take us?

Under 10 minutes. Depends where youre at, of course. And a lot of us have done the cruise thing more than once. But even if not, I found the port fairly easy to navigate on my first time to each of the cruiselines

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter