Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Hi there!

Great info. I was wondering how Uber works when traveling from WDW to Port Canaveral? Should I notify that I need to head out that way? I understand it will be about an hour out there. Also, do you know if Uber is allowed to pick up from the cruise terminals? My flight out is considered relatively early for the cruise line (11:23 am) and I am afraid of missing our flight because Disney will wait until their bus is full.

Hi there!

Great info. I was wondering how Uber works when traveling from WDW to Port Canaveral? Should I notify that I need to head out that way? I understand it will be about an hour out there. Also, do you know if Uber is allowed to pick up from the cruise terminals? My flight out is considered relatively early for the cruise line (11:23 am) and I am afraid of missing our flight because Disney will wait until their bus is full.

Yes, you enter your destination when you request a ride.

Very informative thread, had a question, not sure if it was addressed...Can any uber cars accommodate a scooter/motorized wheelchair?
There is no specific request for a vehicle that can accommodate a wheelchair.

Uber and Lyft vehicles are just the drivers' personal vehicles. The only requirements are that they be in good condition, have 4 doors, and be able to seat 5 or 7 including the driver. An UberX can be as small as a Prius, as long as it can seat 3 adults across the back seat.

A motorized wheelchair would be a problem. It might fit in some XL vehicles, but getting it in would be difficult because of the weight and height.

A travel scooter that disassembles should fit in most vehicles, but it may take up part of the back seat. If you have more than 3 riders, I would suggest calling an XL, or be prepared to call a 2nd time if it doesn't fit entirely in the trunk of the 1st X that's assigned (there is a $5 charge for a canceled call.) I think the traveling party should be able to disassemble and load the scooter without the driver's assistance; driver's are not all young and strong.

Some full-size scooters also disassemble, but they have heavier components (sometimes 50# or more), and may be more complicated to reassemble. Again, I wouldn't expect the driver to be able to lift them or disassemble them. They won't fit in many X vehicles, and possibly not even in some XL vehicles.

Mears Taxi fields a few lift-equipped SUV's in the Orlando area. I expect you would need to call Mears and specifically request one. I think that would be your best bet for personalized transportation if you have a motorized chair or larger scooter, or a small scooter but are unable to handle the disassembly, lifting, and reassembly.

Last edited:
There is no specific request for a vehicle that can accommodate a wheelchair.

Uber and Lyft vehicles are just the drivers' personal vehicles. The only requirements are that they be in good condition, have 4 doors, and be able to seat 5 or 7 including the driver. An UberX can be as small as a Prius, as long as it can seat 3 adults across the back seat.

A motorized wheelchair would be a problem. It might fit in some XL vehicles, but getting it in would be difficult because of the weight and height.

A travel scooter that disassembles should fit in most vehicles, but it may take up part of the back seat, so I if you have more than 3 riders, would suggest calling an XL, or be prepared to call a 2nd time if it doesn't fit entirely in the trunk of an X (there is a $5 charge for a canceled call.) I think the traveling party should be able to disassemble and load the scooter without the driver's assistance; driver's are not all young and strong.

Some full-size scooters also disassemble, but they have heavier components (sometimes 50# or more), and may be more complicated to reassemble. Again, I wouldn't expect the driver to be able to lift them or disassemble them. They won't fit in many X vehicles, and possibly not even in some XL vehicles.
These are all reasons why, when I had my Mom with me and she was in a scooter, we used Taxis that were set up for handicapped access. While I prefer Uber over Taxi it just didn't seem feasible to use them with a scooter.

What are peoples experiences when staying at a Universal Resort like Cabana Bay and using UBER to get to the Disney Parks?

cost wise on their site seems reasonable as it's per car and not per person.

Am i better off going straight to the Disney parks or going to a disney resort nearer and then using the Disney transportation?

Very informative thread, had a question, not sure if it was addressed...Can any uber cars accommodate a scooter/motorized wheelchair?

Im going to say thats a no. We dont have any special equipment and most of those tend to be heavy/require vehicles with special lifts or racks on the rear. If you have a lightweight scooter or chair that can be lifted up, and easily reduced in size like a non motorized chair can, then an XL will probably work.

What are peoples experiences when staying at a Universal Resort like Cabana Bay and using UBER to get to the Disney Parks?

cost wise on their site seems reasonable as it's per car and not per person.

Am i better off going straight to the Disney parks or going to a disney resort nearer and then using the Disney transportation?
We've done Uber back and forth between Disney and Universal, it's usually about $15-$17 each way. For Epcot, DHS and AK, you can be dropped off right at the parks. For MK, it's easier to be dropped at Contemporary and walk over.

Many thanks for your reply.

Would you say Uber is the cheapest option when traveling between Universal and Disney if we don't want to drive?

Sorry if this has been asked...what's my uber option for my 4 year old. We won't be bringing her car seat with us. Looking at an uber from poly to akl. Thanks

I will also have a 4yo, does Uber Family operate in Disney? Also, do they fit a family of 5? If the Uber Family cars don't fit 5 guests will the larger car take a 4yo (almost 5yo) with no car seat? Thanks, so confusing trying to figure this all out.

Does anyone have recent experience with Lyft, both in terms of pricing and efficiency? DH doesn't want to use Uber for various reasons.

Sorry if this has been asked...what's my uber option for my 4 year old. We won't be bringing her car seat with us. Looking at an uber from poly to akl. Thanks

I will also have a 4yo, does Uber Family operate in Disney? Also, do they fit a family of 5? If the Uber Family cars don't fit 5 guests will the larger car take a 4yo (almost 5yo) with no car seat? Thanks, so confusing trying to figure this all out.
Florida law requires children 4 to 5 years to use a car seat or booster. If he's under 60 lbs., you can request an Uber with a car seat; there's an $8 per ride extra charge. Uber only offers car seats in the tourist corridor, stretching roughly from WDW to Universal, including most of the I-Drive area; in that area, it will appear as another vehicle type in the app ("UberX with car seat".) It may take a few minutes longer for the car to arrive.

UberX carries 4 guests; UberXL carries 6. You can request either of them with a car seat, within the area I described above.

Many taxis in the area also carry car seats, but it's hit or miss. I don't think they charge extra.

Or you can buy your own Bubble Bum or backpack booster seat and bring it along.

If you don't have a booster, an Uber driver without a car seat may refuse to take you.

Last edited:
Does anyone have recent experience with Lyft, both in terms of pricing and efficiency? DH doesn't want to use Uber for various reasons.
No experience, but the Orlando area rates are very similar. For the basic 4-rider service, Lyft charges 20 cents more to start out, and 2 cents a mile more but 1 cent a minute less than Uber, which pretty much balance out (at least on short trips.)

Both the Lyft and Uber apps show available drivers on a map centered around your location. I've peeked at the Lyft app a few times while at WDW, and I've always seen drivers around the area. I've heard that many drivers keep both Uber & Lyft running on their phone, just taking whichever comes up first with a rider.

I have the Lyft app on my phone, but have not yet requested a ride. More than once, Lyft has offered me $5 off up to 10 rides during a 30-day period.

Last edited:
These are all reasons why, when I had my Mom with me and she was in a scooter, we used Taxis that were set up for handicapped access. While I prefer Uber over Taxi it just didn't seem feasible to use them with a scooter.
Were these taxis just waiting with the other taxis or did you have to call and request them? Thank you

Were these taxis just waiting with the other taxis or did you have to call and request them? Thank you
We found them waiting but we didn't get it at a Resort. If you are at a Resort I'd have bell service get them to call for one for you. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

We have dinner on the Boardwalk our first night, I'd like to walk over to the old Hess station (Safeway?) after dinner to pick up a few things at their convenience store. Anyone know if I can get an Uber to pick me up there and drive me back to the Yacht Club?

Thank you.

Florida law requires children 4 to 5 years to use a car seat or booster. If he's under 60 lbs., you can request an Uber with a car seat; there's an $8 per ride extra charge. Uber only offers car seats in the tourist corridor, stretching roughly from WDW to Universal, including most of the I-Drive area; in that area, it will appear as another vehicle type in the app ("UberX with car seat".) It may take a few minutes longer for the car to arrive.

UberX carries 4 guests; UberXL carries 6. You can request either of them with a car seat, within the area I described above.

Many taxis in the area also carry car seats, but it's hit or miss. I don't think they charge extra.

Or you can buy your own Bubble Bum or backpack booster seat and bring it along.

If you don't have a booster, an Uber driver without a car seat may refuse to take you.

Thank you, we only plan to use an Uber there once or twice so I don't know if it's worth it to lug a booster around. I'll think about but will likely just request a car with a seat.

We have dinner on the Boardwalk our first night, I'd like to walk over to the old Hess station (Safeway?) after dinner to pick up a few things at their convenience store. Anyone know if I can get an Uber to pick me up there and drive me back to the Yacht Club?

Thank you.
Absolutely. In fact, there may be car waiting there, as some Uber drivers hang out there waiting for a call from the BW area.

(BTW, Speedway is the new brand name. Safeway is a supermarket chain in the western U.S.)

Absolutely. In fact, there may be car waiting there, as some Uber drivers hang out there waiting for a call from the BW area.

(BTW, Speedway is the new brand name. Safeway is a supermarket chain in the western U.S.)

Excellent, that will be my plan then. :) Not sure where I got Safeway from, lol. Do you know if there is a walkway to use to get there from there from the Boardwalk?

Excellent, that will be my plan then. :) Not sure where I got Safeway from, lol. Do you know if there is a walkway to use to get there from there from the Boardwalk?
You can take the sidewalk past the guard shack out to the main entrance. When you reach the street, the safer option is to turn right out to the traffic light, then turn left across the crosswalk and straight ahead to the driveway. Unfortunately, there's no walkway from the street into the gas station, so you'll have to take your chances walking in the driveway.

The gonzo shortcut is to jaywalk from the BW entrance to the station's back driveway, but cars & buses come from both directions at irregular intervals, so it's risky.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter