• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ever slept on a sleeper sofa?

Girls1

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at the Doubletree Suites for 6 nights and were thinking of having DD7 and DD13 share the sofa. We have never slept on one or even see one in person to be honest. The mattress looks a bit thin. Anyone have experience with these things? Are they very uncomfortable? Our girls are slim. Do we have to dress the bed way night and remove the bedding in the morning?
Thanks in advance :)

I would neve choose this for our family.

It does not allow for any use of the room while they are sleeping.

We like beds for each person in our party.

We tried the sofa thing once and would never do it again!

JMHO

The mattresses are thin and they aren't terribly comfortable, but comfort at 7/13 and comfort as an adult is different. They will be fine! There are varying levels of comfort as well. The sofa bed won't be made, but there are almost always sheets for it in the closet. I just fold the sheets /blanket in at night then pull them off before we leave.

DD slept on one on our last vacation, and she liked having a room to herself, even if it was the living room and we were traipsing through in the morning as we dressed and made breakfast.

The comfort of these vary so much by condo/hotel.

We often book condos and don't have enough beds for everyone unless hydabeds are utilized or situations where there are enough beds, but we don't want opposite sex teens sleeping together. So basically we are within the occupancy limits, but we don't have the bedding configuration we want. Happens to us alot as we book large condos frequently that we stay in with extended family groups. Unless we know for sure that the sofa sleeper are comfortable based on reviews, insight from employees at the properties, or previous experience, we bring along one of those inflatable beds, which are very comfortable per DS 16. We bought a single bed like this for about $65 that fits in a duffle bag. You just plug it in, turn a knob and it automaticlly inflates. You turn another knob and it automatically deflates. Since we fly Southwest alot ,and you get two free bags per person, it's no big deal at all to bring this along. We usually also bring a twin fitted top sheet and just use their bedding from the hydabed -- pillows and blankets.

We don't know about the place you are staying:

Examples of our recent experiences though:
Sofa sleeper bed at the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas was super comfortable // left blow up in duffle bag
Sofa sleeper at Myan Palace in Puerto Vallara, Mexico was super comfortable // left blow up in duffle bag

Soft sleeper at Sea Captain Inn, Clearwater was not comfortable and we used the blowup
Soft sleeper at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, MO was not comfortable and we used the blowup.

Sometimes too, depending on the size of our party, we want to keep the common area available and use a blow up even when there is a comfortable sleeper sofa.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I was just trying to figure out what to expect. I thought about the air mattress but it seems like an extra thing to do in the morning. I have learned though that there are double beds provided in the rooms, not just a king. So I suppose we will try the sofa and if it doesn't work out, they can always sleep in the extra double bed.
Was looking forward to sleeping in different rooms. Lol.

If you are referring to the ones at the doubletree DTD, I have slept on those. One night, never again. Your dds may not be bothered by it but the last time I was there I could feel the springs. That is how thin that mattress is :eek:.

Years an years ago in the process of moving DH an I stored our bed in storage leaving the sofa in the house till last minute because we could use it for sitting during day an sleeping at night. We soon learned take the mattress off the bed fold sofa back up an sleep on mattress on floor very comfy that way.

I have slept on a sofa (pull out bed)
Never again ...

Mattress so thin I could feel the springs (sofa bed foundation) thru it ...
plus the creak & squeek noise whenever I moved ... no way.

If the sofa cushions are nice & comfy ... I would prefer to just cover the sofa with a unfitted sheet
and give that a try.

Totally sucks! There are three frame support rods that go through the the frame and each one is felt through the thin mattress allllllll night long. Miserable.

Not a good idea for adults, but probably ok for kids who are slender. We have stayed in several places on our travels (We have traversed North America, to include Alaska several times) where there is a sleeper sofa. Some are better then others, but on the whole sleeper sofas are not meant to be a permanent place to sleep. Just for a few days it is not going to kill anyone and as for taking up space, sure, it does while people are asleep, then you fold it back in, sheets and blankets can be folded in with it. Not that big of a deal. :confused3 We also have inflatable mattress's which our older son likes to use sometimes when we are traveling.

I have, but wouldn't do it for more than one night. They are not very comfortable, and 6 nights on a uncomfortable bed would not be my idea of fun at all.

My kids sleep on sleeper sofas all the time when we travel, and they've never complained or had problems sleeping. We have five boys, so we frequently stay in hotels where one or two of them have to sleep on the sleeper sofa because there just aren't enough regular beds.

I agree that sometimes those beds are uncomfortable for adults, but it's practically never a problem for kids. I've slept on them many times, and I don't remember ever thinking that one was uncomfortable until I was at least in my mid-20's.

Thanks for the additional replies everyone.

We will end up playing this by ear. So long as there are two double beds in the bedroom, we shall be fine. We will test out the sleeper when we get there and if it's too thin, we won't even have the girls sleep on it at all.
Thanks again for everything.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter