Europe trip-where to take “meh” college age DD?

As odd as it may sound to some, she still likes going places with us. Since she’s an only child, we started offering to take a friend along years ago, but she has always rejected the offer. She’s not even a fan of meeting up with others for more than a day. It’s HER distinct preference to have it just be the three of us. Maybe it’s a “family of 3” thing.

If we offered a family beach vacation or a WDW trip, she’d be all over that. But we have done those vacations soooooo many times. She’s only been to Europe as a young child and remembers very little. I think she’d like it if she tried it, but she’s also the sort who could go to the beach yearly for 20 more years and be happy. Because a career is just around the corner, a trip to Europe is probably now or never. We had actually planned a couple of 3-4 week trips to Europe with her, but they were all COVID canceled. That’s when we thought we had a few years left to explore various countries, knowing she’d enjoy some more than others. But this trip can only be 7-10 days, so I want to zero in on something she’d like. DH and I will enjoy almost anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to show her a video of Portugal tonight and see if she likes that. We have considered Croatia as well. Greece seems to appeal to her a bit. DH wonders if she’d prefer to stay in an English speaking country, as 99.999999% of her high school foreign language has disappeared. But she said that didn’t make a difference. She’s never had a knack for languages. She’s a science and math girl who loves coffee, shopping, and fashion.

This is her last vacation at our expense since she’ll have graduated. We have told her that after this, when we book a vacation, she can go along if she likes the sound of the trip, and chip in on expenses. I appreciate all your ideas.
As the parent of an only child, I understand this so fully. My DD never, ever asked to take a friend (and quite frankly, we never even considered it). She's 29 and married now, but throughout our vacation planning years, the 3 of us always picked vacation destinations together. She loves traveling and was always excited to do whatever we decided upon. Fortunately, none of us are crazy about the beach, so that was never an issue.

2 years after she got married, my DH and I were going to Universal for a few days, followed by a Disney cruise. My DD and her husband asked if they could go with us!! The following year, we went to Quebec City and again they asked if they could meet us there. Although we think of all of these "lasts", sometimes our kids surprise us by still enjoying our company!

I hope you have a wonderful trip! I'm excited to hear what you decide.

As odd as it may sound to some, she still likes going places with us. Since she’s an only child, we started offering to take a friend along years ago, but she has always rejected the offer. She’s not even a fan of meeting up with others for more than a day. It’s HER distinct preference to have it just be the three of us. Maybe it’s a “family of 3” thing.

If we offered a family beach vacation or a WDW trip, she’d be all over that. But we have done those vacations soooooo many times. She’s only been to Europe as a young child and remembers very little. I think she’d like it if she tried it, but she’s also the sort who could go to the beach yearly for 20 more years and be happy. Because a career is just around the corner, a trip to Europe is probably now or never. We had actually planned a couple of 3-4 week trips to Europe with her, but they were all COVID canceled. That’s when we thought we had a few years left to explore various countries, knowing she’d enjoy some more than others. But this trip can only be 7-10 days, so I want to zero in on something she’d like. DH and I will enjoy almost anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to show her a video of Portugal tonight and see if she likes that. We have considered Croatia as well. Greece seems to appeal to her a bit. DH wonders if she’d prefer to stay in an English speaking country, as 99.999999% of her high school foreign language has disappeared. But she said that didn’t make a difference. She’s never had a knack for languages. She’s a science and math girl who loves coffee, shopping, and fashion.

This is her last vacation at our expense since she’ll have graduated. We have told her that after this, when we book a vacation, she can go along if she likes the sound of the trip, and chip in on expenses. I appreciate all your ideas.

I would stay away from eastern Europe just b/c of the unsettled situation due to the war (not just safety, but food, supplies, energy, refugees in temporary housing, etc)...

I would go to London. It's the easiest and can be the more spur of the moment relaxed area to go.

As the parent of an only child, I understand this so fully. My DD never, ever asked to take a friend (and quite frankly, we never even considered it). She's 29 and married now, but throughout our vacation planning years, the 3 of us always picked vacation destinations together. She loves traveling and was always excited to do whatever we decided upon. Fortunately, none of us are crazy about the beach, so that was never an issue.

2 years after she got married, my DH and I were going to Universal for a few days, followed by a Disney cruise. My DD and her husband asked if they could go with us!! The following year, we went to Quebec City and again they asked if they could meet us there. Although we think of all of these "lasts", sometimes our kids surprise us by still enjoying our company!

I hope you have a wonderful trip! I'm excited to hear what you decide.
I think you get it. Often, families with only children have a vastly different dynamic than those with multiple children. She has always seen us as a trio. That works for her and she’s comfortable with it. She’s an introvert who needs alone time. We understand that and allow for it. Friends might not. And she’s not excited about vacationing in Europe, but she rarely gets excited about anything, period. Just not her nature.

When she was a teen, DH and I went to Europe for a milestone anniversary. She stayed with friends of her choosing. Keep in mind she had no interest in our destination, yet she was somewhat offended that we would go on a vacation without her. We pointed out that it was AN ANNIVERSARY, and she’d have fun in our absence, but she’d have been happier to go with us on a trip she had no interest in rather than have us go without her. I would not be surprised if she continues to join us on some vacations.

But I do appreciate all the suggestions. Hawaii is on our short list as a place we’d all like, but probably in 2024 or 2025.

Where are you from in the US? Because another possibility is the Alps. I would recommend German Alps, from Swiss to Italy and then Austrian border. Beautiful landscapes, Neuschwanstein castle (and other), Salt Mines etc. That was our august 2020 replacement trip (we had booked WDW for that year but had to stay in Europe) and we did not regret it.

7B04A8CD-4502-415F-B890-2BF0238990FE.jpeg1CECAE57-3370-4B0A-BD9C-A59C321304DB.jpegD3CFEDD3-8B4A-467F-8621-535A9C8A11FA.jpeg
Can’t seem to get the pictures straight :(

I would stay away from eastern Europe just b/c of the unsettled situation due to the war (not just safety, but food, supplies, energy, refugees in temporary housing, etc)...

I would go to London. It's the easiest and can be the more spur of the moment relaxed area to go.
What do you consider Eastern Europe?

What do you consider Eastern Europe?

Poland, Slovokia, Hungary, Romania, Moldova, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland (and obviously Ukraine/Russia) - anything on the border of Ukraine, Belarus, or Russia would be on my instant out list...

To be safer, I'd draw a line from Germany to Italy and skip any country east of them if traveling in 2022 (or until a few months after the conflict is over)...

We are also a family of 3, so I understand that dynamic completely!

I know it’s not what you are looking for on this trip, but if you haven’t been already, it sounds like your daughter would absolutely love St. Barts. Amazing beaches, and full of French sophistication - fashion, coffee, food.

Bermuda would also be a very good option.

Both of those islands offer a European feel and experience.

We are also a family of 3, so I understand that dynamic completely!

I know it’s not what you are looking for on this trip, but if you haven’t been already, it sounds like your daughter would absolutely love St. Barts. Amazing beaches, and full of French sophistication - fashion, coffee, food.

Bermuda would also be a very good option.

Both of those islands offer a European feel and experience.
As a French citizen living in Germany I can say that we would recommend St Barts for a deluxe Caribbean experience :D Not at all for a French or European feel (except for the language). But I understand what you mean. We have a similar standpoint for the Bahamas for instance (US feel and experience). For regular Caribbean feel, cheaper cost but everything else as good, you could go to Guadeloupe or Martinique. With St Martin, you can visit both France & Netherlands :teeth:

I think you get it. Often, families with only children have a vastly different dynamic than those with multiple children. She has always seen us as a trio. That works for her and she’s comfortable with it. She’s an introvert who needs alone time. We understand that and allow for it. Friends might not. And she’s not excited about vacationing in Europe, but she rarely gets excited about anything, period. Just not her nature.

When she was a teen, DH and I went to Europe for a milestone anniversary. She stayed with friends of her choosing. Keep in mind she had no interest in our destination, yet she was somewhat offended that we would go on a vacation without her. We pointed out that it was AN ANNIVERSARY, and she’d have fun in our absence, but she’d have been happier to go with us on a trip she had no interest in rather than have us go without her. I would not be surprised if she continues to join us on some vacations.

But I do appreciate all the suggestions. Hawaii is on our short list as a place we’d all like, but probably in 2024 or 2025.
If you like Hawaii and Europe, take a look at the Azores. I haven't been yet, but it's on the list.

Since Europe is so varied, and you mentioned that on the trip above she had no interest for the destination, are you banking on once she is there she will understand more & have a wonderful time? A la she doesn't know what she doesn't know, sort of speak. Simply curious.

I’d go with France - a focus on Paris to start then a few days somewhere else in the country, whether that is beaches or just touring around.

Or both London and Paris. That might even be better for your time frame as you could see a fair amount of each city and not waste as much time travelling.

Poland, Slovokia, Hungary, Romania, Moldova, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland (and obviously Ukraine/Russia) - anything on the border of Ukraine, Belarus, or Russia would be on my instant out list...

To be safer, I'd draw a line from Germany to Italy and skip any country east of them if traveling in 2022 (or until a few months after the conflict is over)...
Some countries mentioned would be highly offended being called Eastern Europe.

OP: Since this is the last trip for your family of 3 together that you're going to pay for, maybe you should at least consider a trip your daughter will definitely be enthusiastic about.

You mentioned either a family beach vacation or a WDW trip. Even though you've done these numerous times, if this is what your daughter would love, why not do one or both of these instead of trying to interest her in something she may or may not end up being interested in?

I have t been but family has and raves about it!

Our plans were altered a few times while visiting last December. Although Reims, Colmar and Baden Baden were nice substitutes. We would definitely visit each one again...especially Reims. The La Caserne Chanzy Hotel & Spa had it all! The staff, location. cuisine, all superb and easy to maneuver...can't wait to return!

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay for, or force, someone on a trip that they are "meh" about. Send her to the closest domestic beach and let her chill while you and your husband go to Europe.
Years ago we had the brilliant idea of taking all three children to London and Paris for Spring Break—back when travel was cheap. We asked DS13 if he would like to go to London and Paris for Spring Break. His reply was how would he know if he would like it since he had never been? We took the trip and it turned all three into travel bugs.

You will know your child the best to know whether they just don’t get excited about things or whether they actively dislike being “forced” to go. Trust your instinct, along with a real conversation with DD, to decide what to do.

Years ago we had the brilliant idea of taking all three children to London and Paris for Spring Break—back when travel was cheap. We asked DS13 if he would like to go to London and Paris for Spring Break. His reply was how would he know if he would like it since he had never been? We took the trip and it turned all three into travel bugs.

You will know your child the best to know whether they just don’t get excited about things or whether they actively dislike being “forced” to go. Trust your instinct, along with a real conversation with DD, to decide what to do.
I took DH kicking and screaming...sulking and pouting over 25 years ago. Okay may a tiny exaggeration but not much. We have returned over 15 times averaging 3-4 weeks.... every year in the last 12. Exception was his mothers death and COVID lock down. It is now his favorite destination. One should never be afraid to spread their wings!

My dad used to be adamant that he had no interest in going to Europe, then I got him to go to Paris for my 30th birthday trip and he LOVED it. Now he's also been to Munich and Rome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter