• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EPIC FAIL BY DISNEY AND DVC.

The wind is picking up and the rain coming down harder now. The parks have closed. The supplies from the Screen Door have begun to be moved to the lobby gift shop. I had to laugh when I saw that wine and booze seem to be a first priority!
But no champagne?

Now THAT is an epic fail! DW would check out and drive 4 hours home in the storm!

We have received multiple recorded phone messages to update us on adjustments to schedules, etc. here at BWV. Very impressed.

We left the BWV yesterday (Wednesday morning). When we returned from the parks early on Tuesday evening, we had a voice mail talking about the coming storm and that Disney would be closely monitoring the situation. Also said their guests were a priority and they would keep us informed. I was impressed.

I agree with those who think that calling Disney's preparations and guest communications an EPIC failure is hyperbole and not deserved.

This sign is posted in the BWV lobby. Good job of working around the conditions.
IMG_2836.jpg

Also, we had a message on our phone that crafts and activities are going on in the lobby tonight. Goofy, Pluto, Chip 'n' Dale were there for photos, as well. Great way to keep kids from becoming too focused on the scary storm.

Not sure what you didn't see on WDW web sites, we saw the advisory and it was after this we read it on DIS, suspect someone saw it and posted here. I agree all cast members should have the same information during a storm, whether that information is right or wrong, it should be consistent. I do feel bad for them however, all currently there are staying, no opportunity to finish shift and get home. Earlier today they had to deal with numerous early check out requests and assistance with changing travel arrangements, have experienced this with major blizzards and know it is no picnic. Hope everyone still on property are save and will be able to turn the event into an experience for the whole family.

Luck to everyone.

DH and I are at BWV. The mood here seems to be good natured with folks taking the bad weather in stride.

Several folks have mentioned checking the voice mail to get the latest info-- which is a good tip. Usually, we ignore the blinking light-- apparently this is common because cast members have been saying-- check the voice mails for updates. Also, housekeeping went around to each room last night with a written notice that said to check resort voicemail regularly for timely updates (and instructions on how to retrieve messages). We've had about 5 updates so far.

This is a tough situation for everyone. Sounds like Disney is doing what they can to get information out as quickly as possible. Could they have done better? Probably. But I disagree with calling this an "epic fail".

Please stay safe everyone!

Given my experience with AKL if there were a "fail" I would expect it there. Everyone talking about phone messages but that's not at the OP's resort.

A favorite quip from cast members is "don't believe everything you get from those Dis information sites". Well today they beat the mouse hands down.

Dis almost always beats info from WDW itself. Those CMs need to pay more attention!

I am not panicked but I should get the information from management not mouse fan websites. jmho...

Management is busy. Get the info where you can. Now that we have the ability to get good info from other sources, why waste time wishing for the old days!

The curfew for being on the streets will be a problem getting things into the resorts and getting CMs to the resorts and parks to do cleanup.

Well, I get all this....

You are at WDW right now. The weather has taken a turn for the worst.

What would you like WDW to do about this?

Sorry for you - but this is a state of FL issue. Power will fail. Truckers will NOT deliver (would you want to drive in this?). Airlines wil cancel,cancel,cancel - they don't want planes stuck in a disaster zone.

I can say - we have a dear CM friend who will be working on (essentially) the WDW Disaster Crew. These folks will be sleeping IN on property Hotels, get called at all hours, and work like HELL to do everything they can for WDW guests. Please, forgive them if they manage to miss a shower..... These folks are doing disaster duty :(.

Please.... WDW is doing wonderful things to keep their guests safe. Some of it is a bit ugly.... but they are absolutely going to keep their guests alive. NONE of this is a WDW thing..... it's a State of FL, and State of NATURE thing.....

Let's try to support a wonderful group through a very hard time :(.

Sadly, I didn't add a long list of disclaimers for those didn't understand that I was comparing a business communication model. I am VERY familiar with the sacrifices made by many levels of service providers and their families because we have personally experienced it. To those who think I was looking for freebies and perks you couldn't be more wrong. We lost money and park time but will return home once again with many happy memories. Please think before you attack. Unkindness brings nothing positive to the world.

We received a robo call message at 5:07 listing the closures (about the same time we noticed the banner). A second call listed activities at Jambo house but a staff member told us that the shuttle would not return us if they cut the service due to weather. Channel 31 was also listed as providing special Disney movies. Didn't check it out but we are all very grateful that the storm passed and continue to pray for all who have or will suffer from this storm.

Just to put things in context, three people have died in Matthew not too far from WDW and hundreds of thousands have suffered damage to their homes and are without power.

I'm sure the minor inconveniences suffered by vacationers at Disney World are trivial compared to that.

Sadly, I didn't add a long list of disclaimers for those didn't understand that I was comparing a business communication model. I am VERY familiar with the sacrifices made by many levels of service providers and their families because we have personally experienced it. To those who think I was looking for freebies and perks you couldn't be more wrong. We lost money and park time but will return home once again with many happy memories. Please think before you attack. Unkindness brings nothing positive to the world.

We received a robo call message at 5:07 listing the closures (about the same time we noticed the banner). A second call listed activities at Jambo house but a staff member told us that the shuttle would not return us if they cut the service due to weather. Channel 31 was also listed as providing special Disney movies. Didn't check it out but we are all very grateful that the storm passed and continue to pray for all who have or will suffer from this storm.

Pretty sure that is what everyone meant, it was just that we felt Disney was on the receiving end.

Here's what "epic fail" really looks like -- a young Haitian girl looking at her home. Imagine walking a few miles in her shoes -- oh wait, she doesn't have shoes.

Almost 900 dead in Haiti so far and rescuers are just starting to reach many areas so the count will probably rise much higher.

Also, a number of people have died of cholera -- a disease never found in Haiti until the UN Peacekeeping Force introduced it in 2010.

gettyimages-613191274.jpg

Here's what "epic fail" really looks like -- a young Haitian girl looking at her home. Imagine walking a few miles in her shoes -- oh wait, she doesn't have shoes.

Almost 900 dead in Haiti so far and rescuers are just starting to reach many areas so the count will probably rise much higher.

Also, a number of people have died of cholera -- a disease never found in Haiti until the UN Peacekeeping Force introduced it in 2010.

gettyimages-613191274.jpg

I don't want to "like" this post as that seems like the wrong type of response, but I am so very strongly in agreement with your take on this situation and the strong reminder that this picture should offer.

JimMIA, thanks for putting things in proper perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter