• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epcot to get major transformations

The next DVC in Innoventions East and West since the can't figure out what to do with them.

Well, that would be the line where I FINALLY fork over my money and buy into DVC. I could live at Epcot, as is, if allowed. Add in updates and expansions...I might never leave!

My kids like World Showcase. They like getting their passports stamped, seeing the pavilions and watching the British Invasion band (can't remember the name) perform. They also like tasting the different foods and watching Illuminations. I'd love to see another country or two added. India would be great. The food, dance, and dress are unique plus the architecture is very photogenic and recognizable. It would be fun to have a chaat stand out in front for Indian street food or an Indian sweets stand. Indian sweets taste amazing and are very colorful. There's plenty of Indian food that isn't spicy if that's what would worry guests.

I'd also love to seen an African or South American country.

IP's I can see fitting in (all pure speculation):
-Ratatouille in France
-Cars themed ride focused on the World Grand Prix (maybe Germany or Japan for their racing pedigree?)
-Stark Expo in FutureWorld (if Disney ever feels compelled to grapple Marvel rights back from Uni)
-A new Pacific island nation "country" or designated area, to fit in Moana and/or Lilo
-something Incredibles themed based around saving the world

Biggest wish list item? TRON coaster clone. Doubt it'll happen though. Especially if the Energy replacement is a Guardians coaster.

Cars and incredibles, huh?

Why not just make the boardwalk a really big gift shop and combine the two parks for "one BIG studios"?

This will be a long process 8 years maybe if rumors are true. You'll see a lot of IP in Epcot too.

8 years is FAR too long, my god. THey are going to pump 1.4 Billion into Hong Kong and probably be done in a couple years, 8 years for EPCOT ... 8 .... years .... I will be almost 50 by then ....

8 years is FAR too long, my god. THey are going to pump 1.4 Billion into Hong Kong and probably be done in a couple years, 8 years for EPCOT ... 8 .... years .... I will be almost 50 by then ....
It's not that everything would take 8 years to complete. Things would open in phases. For example in year 1 they do innoventions and then they move onto something else in year 2. After 8 years everything that was supposed to be done is done. Again it's just a rumor.

Actually, Hong Kong is exactly that…Phased openings each year until 2023, 7 years from now.

I'm fine with IP in future world as long as they don't add too much into world showcase. That will even it out

I think IPs are fine to an extent in the WS too. As long as it's just in an attraction and not taking over the pavilion, and obviously something suited to the country. This can help draw in more crowds with more rides and characters to pique children's interest and maybe get them to ask more questions about the country.

Look at Norway. Even if you don't like the change to Frozen for the ride it has increased attendance and education. The pavilion was usually empty before and the ride a walk on with only a handful of those people staying for the video after. Now it gets lots of crowds and has kids asking the cast members from Norway how their country compares and differences to Arrendale resulting in them learning about the real country and culture.

If they added attractions like this into other spots, like a Ratatouille or Beauty and the Beast ride to France, it could have similar effects in attendance boost to the park and WS/country. Also the other countries don't currently have rides (except Mexico) so it would likely be additions and not replacing something.

I think IPs are fine to an extent in the WS too. As long as it's just in an attraction and not taking over the pavilion, and obviously something suited to the country. This can help draw in more crowds with more rides and characters to pique children's interest and maybe get them to ask more questions about the country.

Look at Norway. Even if you don't like the change to Frozen for the ride it has increased attendance and education. The pavilion was usually empty before and the ride a walk on with only a handful of those people staying for the video after. Now it gets lots of crowds and has kids asking the cast members from Norway how their country compares and differences to Arrendale resulting in them learning about the real country and culture.

If they added attractions like this into other spots, like a Ratatouille or Beauty and the Beast ride to France, it could have similar effects in attendance boost to the park and WS/country. Also the other countries don't currently have rides (except Mexico) so it would likely be additions and not replacing something.

Except arrendale doesn't exist...and to compare it Northern Europe is an exercise is silliness...is it not?

. Future world needs a rehab badly. The wonders of life pavilion has been empty for too long. I think the Stark Expo idea would be a good idea. (If and that's a big if, they can get the rights from Universal)

As for kids, I visited Epcot when I was young and I remember loving Figment and Impressions de France.

As long as it doesn't become a carbon copy of the Magic Kingdom

Last edited:
. Future world needs a rehab badly. The wonders of life pavilion has been empty for too long. I think the Stark Expo idea would be a good idea. (If and that's a big if, they can get the rights from Universal)

As for kids, I visited Epcot when I was young and I remember loving Figment and Impressions de France.

As long as it doesn't become a carbon copy of the Magic Kingdom

EPCOT was way cooler as a kid than the magic kingdom...because it was unique.

Times change and it's harder to WOW now for sure...but to convert EPCOT to branded land would be just play to the lowest common denominator. And once you do it - you can't go back. That's bad not only for EPCOT, but all disney parks including animal kingdom. Like I've said over and over again...catering to 7 year olds will erode the longterm sustainability of the experience.

IP is where the money is, not only does it connect users to the attraction, but it creates a reason to build a shop at the end of an attraction and a reason for people to buy photos and souvenirs.

I really don't see a way to save future world, that's pretty much a dead concept in this fast past world we live in. Gone are the days of product being in development for years or decades before they become common place. But maybe instead of a World's Fair type concept, it could be a Galactic Fair alongside the Earth Showcase of nations.

Whatever they do, many won't like it. But many more will love it and crowds will increase. Unlike MK, there is nothing at EPCOT that I look back on with my kids and say... you know I rode this as a kid. Other than trying to explain Figment and Dreamfinder, or telling them we use to be able to ride buses around world showcase.

Boy that's a depressing statement. Dreaming of the future is dead. I guess I am different I have very different memories and many good ones of Epcot. Going there for my 16th birthday, going there for NYE celebration. Riding Soarin with my family. A little boy of a friend giggling at the fish at the Living sees.

But LockedonLogic is right turning it into a character heavy park would take away the uniqueness of it. I thought at least Stark expo at least in the movies patterns itself on Disney's ideas and concepts. I couldn't look at John Slattery in Iron Man 2 and not think of Walt Disney. It was an exact copy.

What would be wrong with thinking of the Future as something we can make better. And put some of those ideas and concepts into Future World. Could it be a difficult and hard thing to get across. YES. But it would much better than let's put characters on everything because that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Although with we can get magic kingdoms quantity of rides, that would be great :drool:
Agree with that. Don't need to have IPs persay, though that would probably attract more kids at least, but EPCOT definitely needs more attractions. Need to bring back some of their old ride ideas for World Showcase that got scrapped for budget. Just give some more big attractions to draw crowds back there and more stuff to do than just a big shopping mall with videos that most people skip.

I've heard it will be a tiered expansion, with milestone openings in 2018, 2020 and 2022.

There will almost certainly be at least one new country added, if not two. The lead on this project has already visited the countries under consideration, and it's a combination of country tourism contribution coupled with how the new country would fit in with the landscape of the World Showcase that's a working order right now.

Which would make an earlier suspicion true - Disney aims to have EP (and probably most all major) construction done in time for it's anniversary in 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter