Epcot Festival of the Arts thoughts

LittleDreamer

Mouseketeer
I just got back from a morning at Epcot and I would like to share my thoughts. I would like to hear the thoughts of others that attended so feel free to chime in.

Let me start by saying I know Disney is in a conservative period. With many large budget projects underway and more on the horizon, I understand the desire to keep cost low on unproved events. That being said, "Come on Disney you can do better then this." This felt a bit like a community garage sale. This even was What can we do with what we already have and not much more was done. There were a few bright spots but they were minimal. I skipped the food this trip. It took to drizzling on and off and while Snacking in the Rain sounds like a nice painting, it didn't sound appetizing.

Let me start with the art. The art is beautiful but with the exception of 2-4 booths it's all stuff from elsewhere on property; Wonderland, Pop Gallery, Launch Bay, or Art of Disney they just took some extras out of the back room and threw them in some beige tents. A few artist were on hand so it was nice to see them and get a chance to chat with them. It also seemed odd that they didn't consider placement of the tents; it was a little jarring to see a tent full of Star Wars back by Morocco.

As for other offerings it was a mixed bag. The "step into art" photo ops were a nice simple addition and there should have been more of them. The combined Mona Lisa and Scream really should of been two separate stands. The festival center was in the Odyssey restaurant, instead of the usual Wonders of Life. The exhibits of Herb Ryman and Mary Blair were nice but I would of rather been given a museum of art then two small hexagons. There was a nice group paint by numbers mural which was just starting and they looked to be prepping a Graffiti wall behind Ice Station Cool. These sort of quick interactive elements are great and since they change over time it adds more incentive to walk by them again. The Animation Academy was hidden in the House of Tommorow (or maybe 5 years ago) so unless you know where to look you are going to miss it. They also had a school Jazz band playing behind the Future World fountain which was nice and when they weren't on a few living statues would come out. Japan seemed to be the only country that was participating with some Origami and Anime demonstrations offered.

Overall I think this event was underwhelming. It felt more like Disney was expecting you to buy stuff instead of offering you something. I also felt we might of reached a saturation point with the food kiosks. They are almost always there now so they don't feel special like they used to. I will give it a few more tries with different groups in the future to see if it changes my opinion but this morning was just a solo run.

Now if there are any Disney ears out there listening let me suggest something. This event is not a bad idea, but it's current state is lack luster. Yes you are showcasing art but there is more then just Disney art. First try to keep the contemporary (Disney) art in Future world or in the Showcase Plaza. Next create more uniqueness around the world showcase, Japan had the right idea. Give me mosaics in Morocco, Wood blocks in Japan, Ink/Water painting in China, better highlight the Oaxacan painting in Mexico. Let me hear Seurat talk about the art scene in France or Michelangelo about the majesty of sculpture. I feel like it would take very little money to take that extra step and give the event that bit of color it sorely needs, so take it.

It felt more like Disney was expecting you to buy stuff instead of offering you something.

Isn't that the Iger way? When they advertised the food and the classes months out (ie - the stuff you have to pay exorbitant costs for) and only added free events 2 weeks out, that should have been a big sign of what they were hoping for...keep people paying $100/day tickets to come and eat $8-$12 tastes and $9-$12 drinks while seeing some high school bands and duplicative art from elsewhere...and throw in 2 real paid performers every week just so you can say you are offering something awesome...and even then, offer dining packages for those performers so folks feel like they have to pay to make sure they can see them...

Thank you for such a thoughtful post, OP. I do wish there were some ears at Disney listening to this kind of detail these days, sad as it is to say.

I'm most looking forward to the food when I go. The food kiosks might be out often, but the recipes aren't the same year-round. I have a list of food I want to try throughout the 10 days I'm there and I'm looking forward to the Broadway singers on the weekends.

Very well said, with constructive criticism - I wish the powers-that-be would take these ideas into consideration. I HATE all the "pay extra" events and the lackluster special offerings. It's insulting to those who have remained loyal.

:mad:

I just got back from a morning at Epcot and I would like to share my thoughts. I would like to hear the thoughts of others that attended so feel free to chime in.

Let me start by saying I know Disney is in a conservative period. With many large budget projects underway and more on the horizon, I understand the desire to keep cost low on unproved events. That being said, "Come on Disney you can do better then this." This felt a bit like a community garage sale. This even was What can we do with what we already have and not much more was done. There were a few bright spots but they were minimal. I skipped the food this trip. It took to drizzling on and off and while Snacking in the Rain sounds like a nice painting, it didn't sound appetizing.

Let me start with the art. The art is beautiful but with the exception of 2-4 booths it's all stuff from elsewhere on property; Wonderland, Pop Gallery, Launch Bay, or Art of Disney they just took some extras out of the back room and threw them in some beige tents. A few artist were on hand so it was nice to see them and get a chance to chat with them. It also seemed odd that they didn't consider placement of the tents; it was a little jarring to see a tent full of Star Wars back by Morocco.

As for other offerings it was a mixed bag. The "step into art" photo ops were a nice simple addition and there should have been more of them. The combined Mona Lisa and Scream really should of been two separate stands. The festival center was in the Odyssey restaurant, instead of the usual Wonders of Life. The exhibits of Herb Ryman and Mary Blair were nice but I would of rather been given a museum of art then two small hexagons. There was a nice group paint by numbers mural which was just starting and they looked to be prepping a Graffiti wall behind Ice Station Cool. These sort of quick interactive elements are great and since they change over time it adds more incentive to walk by them again. The Animation Academy was hidden in the House of Tommorow (or maybe 5 years ago) so unless you know where to look you are going to miss it. They also had a school Jazz band playing behind the Future World fountain which was nice and when they weren't on a few living statues would come out. Japan seemed to be the only country that was participating with some Origami and Anime demonstrations offered.

Overall I think this event was underwhelming. It felt more like Disney was expecting you to buy stuff instead of offering you something. I also felt we might of reached a saturation point with the food kiosks. They are almost always there now so they don't feel special like they used to. I will give it a few more tries with different groups in the future to see if it changes my opinion but this morning was just a solo run.

Now if there are any Disney ears out there listening let me suggest something. This event is not a bad idea, but it's current state is lack luster. Yes you are showcasing art but there is more then just Disney art. First try to keep the contemporary (Disney) art in Future world or in the Showcase Plaza. Next create more uniqueness around the world showcase, Japan had the right idea. Give me mosaics in Morocco, Wood blocks in Japan, Ink/Water painting in China, better highlight the Oaxacan painting in Mexico. Let me hear Seurat talk about the art scene in France or Michelangelo about the majesty of sculpture. I feel like it would take very little money to take that extra step and give the event that bit of color it sorely needs, so take it.

OP, if I were you I'd copy what you just wrote and email it to Disney.

Things may not change, but there is a better chance of them changing if people speak up.

OP, if I were you I'd copy what you just wrote and email it to Disney.

The amount of research staff they had out in the morning seemed quite high to me. There was quite a few at front gate, more underneath SSE, another gaggle by the Animation Academy entrance and many around World Showcase. There were so many that some were working with clipboards and pens. I'm not sure if it was the timing or they were just following me around but they definitely wanted opinions today.

The amount of research staff they had out in the morning seemed quite high to me. There was quite a few at front gate, more underneath SSE, another gaggle by the Animation Academy entrance and many around World Showcase. There were so many that some were working with clipboards and pens. I'm not sure if it was the timing or they were just following me around but they definitely wanted opinions today.

Did you get a chance to talk with them? I wonder if they got more positive or negative responses.

Sorry you did not enjoy, I agree with others to send your comments to Disney. It's the first year and they need to know what worked and didn't from a cross section of guests. I imagine over time it will be fine tuned.

I follow several on twitter who gave reports and most of what they gave was positive. A few are usually tough on Disney and they enjoyed. One said they spent 3 hours in FutureLand enjoying the art.

Loved seeing lots of pictures too. Am going next two weekends so I want to come up with a plan on what to do/see and what not to bother.

Items that sounded/looked good:
- Concert (have AP reserved seats)
- Some of the food items
- Wall mural
- Event merchandise (some of the best I've seen in years)
- Photo ops in the paintings
- Scavenger Hunt ESPECIALLY the items at the end
- Artwork added to Character Meets for a picture that is different than normal
- Chocolate artwork
- Passport
- Some of the seminars

Some photos ...

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/...ot-with-beautiful-food-broadway-performances/

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017-epcot-international-festival-of-the-arts/

Sorry you did not enjoy, I agree with others to send your comments to Disney. It's the first year and they need to know what worked and didn't from a cross section of guests. I imagine over time it will be fine tuned.

I follow several on twitter who gave reports and most of what they gave was positive. A few are usually tough on Disney and they enjoyed. One said they spent 3 hours in FutureLand enjoying the art.

Loved seeing lots of pictures too. Am going next two weekends so I want to come up with a plan on what to do/see and what not to bother.

Items that sounded/looked good:
- Concert (have AP reserved seats)
- Some of the food items
- Wall mural
- Event merchandise (some of the best I've seen in years)
- Photo ops in the paintings
- Scavenger Hunt ESPECIALLY the items at the end
- Artwork added to Character Meets for a picture that is different than normal
- Chocolate artwork
- Passport
- Some of the seminars

Some photos ...

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/...ot-with-beautiful-food-broadway-performances/

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017-epcot-international-festival-of-the-arts/

I'm a bit like you. The Twitter posts I saw today looked phenomenal and had me stoked for my mid-Feb trip. I figured it would be a cheap extension of F&W but the photos I saw suggested a totally different and somewhat well thought out new event. I will concede some of the folks I follow on Twitter are Disney homers and anything "new" at Epcot makes me giddy, but still... I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

If anything, I'll get my Figment magnet and be happy about it.

:-)

The cm that were out by innoventions and mousegears with Clipboards and paper were there to do something completely separate from this festival

I spent the entire day at Epcot with the family checking this out. I thought for the most part it was really good, but I do think they might still be tweaking things.

The main reason we were there was the food - and it was AMAZING! I tried the trio of croissant donuts and the pop't art from The Painter's Palate, the BLT from E=AT, and the red snapper and artist's palate jumbo cookie from Cuisine Classique. The donuts were really, really good, and very filling. The pop't art was actually a sugar cookie filled with hazelnut mousse, and it was amazing, but very sweet. The BLT was OK, but it was missing the soft poached egg that was supposed to be on top - and I didn't notice until I'd walked away and happened to look through the passport. The red snapper was OK, a little tough maybe, and the sauce was a bit watery. The jumbo cookie was adorable; it's literally the size of a plate, and they squirt on the different colored icings and then give you a knife so you can mix them together to 'paint'. My 4-year old had a field day with that! My only criticism was that we tried to get the crisp caramel chocolate mousse bar from Decadent Desserts, and it was sold out; I think maybe they need to rethink how popular the food items are! I was really pleased that all of the food items were something different though; I get kind of bored getting the same things from Food and Wine each year.

I had a look at the art and I agree, there wasn't much that was new. I thought the merchandise was cute - I bought the mug and I love it! - but I think they missed an opportunity not offering a sweater. Today the weather sucked, it was wet and chilly pretty much all day (with some random moments of horrible mugginess) and with the festival being in January and February, there will be weekends that are cold. I totally would have bought a sweater today if one had been available.

The interactive paint-by-numbers mural was awesome! You get given a paintbrush and a pot of paint, then you are assigned a number based on the color of your paint. Then you paint five squares that color. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see the finished product. I think they could add more things like that. I also wish that there was a seminar that was more child-friendly. The classes looked great, but it would have been fun to have one just for kids where they could paint or draw or something; my 4-year old was getting a bit bored by the end, there wasn't much directed at kids.

The concert however, was amazing! My 4-year old and I braved the rain (DH and my baby hid in the Beach Club) and we stood in the back to watch and Ashley Brown and Josh Strickland, who were outstanding. We heard them sing songs from Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and Tarzan. I've seen both of them on Broadway and they sounded just as good this evening. If you don't do anything else at the festival go and see these concerts. I'm definitely going back to see the upcoming shows. The 5.30pm show wasn't completely full, but that was probably because the weather really did suck.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I'd like to go back and see a bit more of what I missed. Maybe when it's not cold and wet.

I'm keeping an eye on this festival and enjoying the reviews. It's the kind of thing I like and if it goes on in 2018, I will try and fly up there for a long weekend to take a few classes and enjoy the Festival.

Thanks for the review OP.

The interactive paint-by-numbers mural was awesome! You get given a paintbrush and a pot of paint, then you are assigned a number based on the color of your paint. Then you paint five squares that color. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see the finished product..
I'm thinking it will be finished late tomorrow.

It will be interesting to compare it to the real Mural.:)[/QUOTE]

Thought I'd share a video that the guys from the DISUnplugged shot yesterday during their time at the festival. They tried lots of food and shared their opinions on the event so far too. Enjoy!

I am not going to fully chime in until I have a chance to see what the second weekend is. This is somethign that sounds like each weekend will be unique as the artists and performers change and disney started with their own or artists they already work with. I also only had a lunch break to jog around the place and get back to work so I really haven't dove fully in which I plan to do today or tomorrow.

this event description reminds me of what I've spent a lot of time at both around NYC and touring. Also I've seen events like these transform as they get more notoriety and more and more interesting artists are willing to put in the time and travel to it. Year 1 and especially weekend#1 I think OP hit the nail on the head but they weren't expecting that so it took them a little by surprise that there wasn't more. Reading the schedule it read like what disney has already in place just spread out (and how they goosed it in august and first half of sept around springs). I'm not expecting much except a few new artists or artists and a collection of new performances that you normally wouldn't get in epcot since they aren't bands you once hear on the radio.

Basically this has hints to things disney has done but the variety changing week to week (I hope) is where this is going to shine in my eyes. but I like this kind of thing. there's a few towns around the disney area that also do artists nights and this sounds like disney just doing it larger at epcot. I think it's a great place to start...

What I see happening if it continues other years and disney is not close minded is they can open up some general usage space to the visual, interactive and low light artists. some of those almost jump over the edge of not disney safe though so it'll be interesting to see if they even let it go this direction or smart enough for what an artists weekend could really be. (and if disney reads this, i'm available to give you a list of where you need to send researchers out too). It's harder to describe but lets just say all this projection technology you see getting more and more used around disney including the drone show, didn't start at disney and what those artists do at other festivals of similar nature is just mind blowing. the question is would disney let them take over the image of the countries and setup their stuff in the future.. This is where I think everyone was hoping these weekends would go but you never see that the first year of an artists festival unless the organizers have a lot of experience of other festivals to know to invite them over...

So far what I have read online has been generally positive with a few suggestions. This IS the first year for this event so the need for a few changes is to be expected. However, most seem happy with the concept and a good number of the offerings. Disney is dipping their toes in the water to see how people will respond to this event. They will take feedback and make changes and decisions based off of it if they continue these offerings.

So far what I have read online has been generally positive with a few suggestions. This IS the first year for this event so the need for a few changes is to be expected. However, most seem happy with the concept and a good number of the offerings. Disney is dipping their toes in the water to see how people will respond to this event. They will take feedback and make changes and decisions based off of it if they continue these offerings.

excellent way to word it.. Although I don't think dipping their toes into the water is not accurate. They've had festival of the masters in the past and art weekends in springs already (funny how nobody noticed springs did that). Celebration (the town) has been holding basically this exact event 2-3 times a year for a long time (although it's an art and wine stroll) and my understanding is it's something disney started to do and it reminds me a little bit of festival of the masters but more local town version of that. August they did art month at springs (although no performances and nobody really knew it happened). First weekend sounds like everything they've already done wrapped up into 1 and a good way to kick this off. I don't expect much to change week to week except bring in a larger variety of artists and their work which aren't common to see unless you seek it out.

I also think this is 75% aimed at locals so expect rave reviews of something different from locals who love the arts but *** was that why is disney trying to sell me more stuff overpriced from everyone else but I loved the performances from everyone else (and craig). First it's weekends only so they aren't expecting it to have staying power for the visitor. Second it's changing every weekend by rotating the artists. Third is not the same bands over and over again and completely different performances you just don't see on disney property (but you do see at dr phillips art center in the disney theater and those sell out fast). It's also performances that are generally more associated with artistic festivals. Fourth, it seems to be very focuses on florida artists after the first weekend which I'm looking forward too as I don't have the time to check out all the little art things around florida at this time..

I'm excited for this.. I don't really expect more than some nice meals at some places around epcot I haven't ticked off my never ate at before list, meeting a bunch of artists I just don't know or don't have a chance to meet already, maybe getting some of their work to expand my desperately needs more art, I used to live in a closet in nyc with no room to display this stuff previously and finally, a different collection of performances that aren't bands (which I do love, but variety is the spice of life and seeing it now is something disney was missing in the past).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!