Entering California Adventure Time. Does the entrance matter?

LaMaisonDu

Earning My Ears
We are going to California Adventure for the first time in September and staying at the Grand Californian. I'm wondering if we use the hotel entrance, rather than the main entrance, if we will miss the "setting the stage". By way of comparison, I want to start my Disneyland day on Main Street rather than Splash Mountain. Advice much appreciated!

YES, it makes a big difference.

Using the Main Entrance Plaza turnstiles is the better option, since you can start earlier, go through the security check next to Sephora and then get in line at the DCA turnstiles (Make sure they are marked "Extra Magic Hour") Disney can open as many as needed based on the crowd size, and everyone gets in at opening.

Due to the retrofitting of the GCH DCA entrance next to Napa Rose, they can't even start the Security check process until park opening, and limited to two turnstiles. So to get in the park at opening,you need to be first in line, and that requires bring in line maybe 20 to 30 minutes oprio to the EMH starting time. Then you could end up with a group with strolers and a lot of things for security to check, so youcould spend the first half hour just trying to get into the park.

Going straight to Disneyland Park,that is go through the Security Check at Sephora and get in line.

If you use the DCA GCH entrance, first off, it might not be open when Disneyland opens, and if they do open at the same time, you need to get into DCA, walk through the park to the Main Entrance Plaza, and then walk to the Disneyland Turnstiles, have your ticket media scanned again. Once again a time eater.

Now, once the morning rush is over, it really doesn't matter which entrance you use.

Thank you, very helpful. That is interesting that it takes longer to get into the park, in the morning at least, through the GC entrance. One of the reasons we are staying there is that we thought we'd beat the crowd in the morning. Looks like we'll be starting in the "correct" way, at the main entrance for our first step in. Thanks again!

Once you see where you come in at the GC entrance you'll understand. Unless you want to ride Grizzly first thing, it's not great for much of anything else.

And the line for that entrance can get SO long.

Later in the day that Grand Californian entrance/ exit is very useful.
It is especially nice to go on Grizzly rapids in the evening, then go directly into the resort.
I agree that in the morning the just do not have the capacity for the volume of people that want to use it.
Hopefully they will get better at prescreening, with efficient security, prior to opening.

We are going to California Adventure for the first time in September and staying at the Grand Californian. I'm wondering if we use the hotel entrance, rather than the main entrance, if we will miss the "setting the stage". By way of comparison, I want to start my Disneyland day on Main Street rather than Splash Mountain. Advice much appreciated!

I would definitely use the main entrance to DCA for your first entrance for the reasons the pps speak to and because it definitely sets the stage to the whole park. If you come in through the GC entrance you come in to the side of the park and doesn't have the same feel of being introduced to the theming of the park that you experience coming in the main entrance.

i suggest if your going through the GC entrance to make a right. going into grizzly peak airfield from the back doesn't make it so spectacular...

Agree with others...your FIRST ever entrance into DCA and and/or if you are doing rope drop use the main gates...10 min after that from there on out use the GCH gate all day long! That is one of the greatest benefits of staying at the GCH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter