• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Enriching our vacation through spreading Pixie Dust...ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't just approach random people. It evolves out of a conversation. Don't talk to people and you won't have to worry. You shouldn't feel awkward about saying no thank you. I wouldn't be offended if someone politely declined. You are welcome to your opinion and others are welcome to theirs. No harm, no foul.

So if I don't care for this practice I'm no longer entitled to speak to anyone in the parks? That seems very magical and enjoyable.

Where are these rules posted?

I raised this in the poll thread, but I think it merits a mention here as well. I wouldn't enjoy being approached this way, and I think both threads reveal ample evidence that I'm not alone in those feelings. If I were I would hope to have it happen on the move so I could politely decline and keep moving, rather than being stuck in a queue with someone I just had to say, thanks, but no thanks to. IMO it's going to be awkward and leave both parties feeling not so good. I'm certain there will be a response that I should just accept, but why should I have to? I wouldn't enjoy it.

It's not a case of to each his own, it's quite liable to be one sided. Not cool IMO. I think it's far kinder to have guests go about enjoying their days with common courtesy to their fellow guests and the CM's and leave the pixie dusting of tangible forms to the CM's. If the motivation to spread pixie dust is so strong, apply to be a CM.

I don't think anyone's suggesting ambushing other guests! I gave a child a button (homemade) once. Why? Because we'd been stuck under an awning in a downpour for 15 minutes together and chatting with her mum. I had a pretty good idea that my gift of a wee bit of pixie dust would be welcomed, and indeed, it seemed it was. No awkwardness, just a, "Gee, thanks!" "Have a magical rest of your day!" "You, too!" And the little girl sticking the button right on her shirt.

Similarly, when I gave away my SOTMK cards. I looked for someone IN the firehall, figuring they'd most likely be happy to have some extra cards. And they were!

When we wanted to share our passes for Soarin'... we lurked outside the ride, and picked the family we overheard saying, "I'm sorry, the wait times are just too long. We're not going to be able to ride this one."

I really don't think you need to worry about anyone pressing unwanted gifts on you. :)

Boy it sure would be nice if people stopped saying "second-hand" this or "used" that. Somewhere in here the OP clarified that statement and people continue to mischaracterize it to try to win a pointless argument. I mean, if you want to make your point, do it with the whole truth that's been revealed in this thread. If you haven't read the whole thread then why are you replying?
IIRC, she clarified new with tags to be with regards to clothing, not toys. Even new with tags I would be very hesitant to accept clothing from a someone approaching me randomly at a theme park unless I was in the store with them when they purchased it and saw it happen. It's one thing if your clothes get somehow destroyed and someone offers you something to help you in a moment of need...in that instance, yes, I'd probably gratefully accept. But just going about my day in a theme park, nothing being emergent, I would not likely accept clothes from someone. There's risks with accepting clothing, and those aren't risks I'm prepared to take in a theme park.

(and FTR, yes, I do buy clothing at consignment sales and the like. Those all hit the wash the moment I get home. I can't do that on vacation).

IIRC, she clarified new with tags to be with regards to clothing, not toys. Even new with tags I would be very hesitant to accept clothing from a someone approaching me randomly at a theme park unless I was in the store with them when they purchased it and saw it happen. It's one thing if your clothes get somehow destroyed and someone offers you something to help you in a moment of need...in that instance, yes, I'd probably gratefully accept. But just going about my day in a theme park, nothing being emergent, I would not likely accept clothes from someone. There's risks with accepting clothing, and those aren't risks I'm prepared to take in a theme park.

(and FTR, yes, I do buy clothing at consignment sales and the like. Those all hit the wash the moment I get home. I can't do that on vacation).

So if I get your implication here, you're suggesting that someone would deliberately spread around their infected or lice infested cloth just to "spread the love?" Or just what are you implying?

Wow, this sure is an interesting thread! As a newbie, I hesitate to jump into the fray but I can’t help myself.

Minor, inexpensive items like those Sorcerer’s cards or left over glow sticks? I don’t see a problem with that. It’s a passing transaction, for lack of a better word, and the giver isn’t inserting him/her into another’s family’s dynamic.

Something $$ or notable like a toy? No. I think giving an expensive or otherwise meaningful item is crossing a boundary. In any number of ways, the giver is violating that families circle, so to speak.

You (I am using the term generally, not targeting any one in particular) are dangling something very desirable in front of a child and the parent crushes the child’s desires when they say no. The giver has made the parent the bad guy, on their vacation. If the parents have a stuffy planned for an upcoming gift, it ruins their gift. If the parent’s are teaching the kid to spend their own money wisely, that lesson is derailed.

I ran afoul of similar good intentions in the past so I know of what I speak (not at Disney). Lessons learned….

So if I get your implication here, you're suggesting that someone would deliberately spread around their infected or lice infested cloth just to "spread the love?" Or just what are you implying?
I didn't say it would be deliberate at all. In fact earlier in the thread I specifically said " obviously it would be unintentional". But the fact of the matter is that yes, clothing, toys, plushes *can* unknowingly transmit disease. Having a child who puts everything from Hoodie strings to Mickey mouse's nose in her mouth imemdiately, it is my job to look out for her.

Of course no one wants to think that could happen at wdw, and I am in no way a germophobe. We don't use hand sanitizer after every ride or interaction with someone. We don't obsess about avoiding every possible source of germs, because they are unavoidable. This particular risk, though, is avoidable, and not one I'm interested in dealing with on vacation.

I am someone who depends on the goodness of strangers in my everyday life. There are so many things that you could do that would really make my day that would be free. Instead of giving away used toys and clothes, next time hold a door for someone, open a door for someone, pick up something I dropped, reach for something I can't reach and you will be my hero. I know these seem like little things, but to someone in a wheelchair, they will really make their day!

So if I don't care for this practice I'm no longer entitled to speak to anyone in the parks? That seems very magical and enjoyable.

Where are these rules posted?

You suggested the OP and others who participate in these activities stop talking to others out of fear it MAY make others uncomfortable.....why should they have to stop? We agree to disagree. and that's ok. I will say your perspective is important for everyone to think about. Everyone is different. Some people are extroverts, some introverts. Some people don't like unsolicited attention of any kind. Others welcome it.

I've been reading this thread since it appeared...and wasn't going to comment...but I just can't resist anymore. I have 2 words- WHO. CARES. Seriously. There are people in this thread who are so passionately against what the OP posted. Fine, I get it. But enough is enough already from both sides. I personally think "Pixie dust" should be unplanned and should just be kind things/actions that happen to arise at the right moment. I however am not going to post back and forth about it 100 times about why I am right and others are wrong in their views. If someone wants to do something else, by all means, go ahead! So, in the unlikely event someone happens to approach you while in WDW and offers to give you or your child something, just say no thank you. That's all. No big deal. It sounds like some are going to be keeping on eye open at night and watching over their shoulder for a stranger who may approach them. Why people feel the need to bicker back and forth on an internet message board is beyond me. Of all the things to worry about in life, THIS has people so vocal!?!?

Edit to fix spelling and clarify

Last edited:
You suggested the OP and others who participate in these activities stop talking to others out of fear it MAY make others uncomfortable.....why should they have to stop? We agree to disagree. and that's ok. I will say your perspective is important for everyone to think about. Everyone is different. Some people are extroverts, some introverts. Some people don't like unsolicited attention of any kind. Others welcome it.

I absolutely did not say that at all. I said common courtesy, the kind most people practice daily, is absolutely welcomed. Trinkets or other items, no thanks.

I've been reading this thread since it appeared...and wasn't going to comment...but I just can't resist anymore. I have 2 words- WHO. CARES. Seriously. There are people in this thread who are so passionately against what the OP posted. Fine, I get it. But enough is enough already from both sides. I personally think "Pixie dust" should be unplanned and should just be kind things/actions that happen to arise at the right moment. I however am not going to post back and forth about it 100 times about why I am right and others are wrong in their views. If someone wants to do something else, by all means, go ahead! So, in the unlikely event someone happens to approach you while in WDW and offers to give you or your child something, just say no thank you. That's all. No big deal. Why people feel the need to bicker back and forth on an internet message board is beyond me. Of all the things to worry about in life, THIS has people so vocal!?!?

Edit to fix spelling and clarify

It was brought up for discussion on a discussion board and discussing it is a problem?

I politely think this thread has moved beyond a "discussion". Which is why I am now exiting :)

I disagree, which is not impolite to say by the way, and fail to understand the need to chastise others from engaging in a discussion on a discussion board. It's a discussion, participate or not if you choose, read or not as you choose.

Amazing Idea! I think I will continue this forward and find a way to brighten cast members' day that are not in the "magical Spirit" Thanks for the idea!

I once made up about thirty buttons with a cute Canadian Beaver in mickey ears on them, and spent a trip giving them away to any cast member we enjoyed interacting with. Which was a lot! :)

Most cast members were charmed. A few were downright thrilled. One young lady was so happy to be recognized that she would look for us every on every subsequent trip. We've loved checking in with her each year and finding out what she's doing with her life! Another fellow made a point of breaking regulation and wearing the button for several minutes, even though we told him we understood that he couldn't wear it in uniform. I think he was just looking for an excuse to be "bad", in a hilarious way.

Some cast members were puzzled. That's okay!

And two seemed actually offended, which was too bad. I'm still not sure why. After all, a button isn't exactly a used toy or a t-shirt with tags still on! :rotfl:

Anyway, the point being that while you might make most people's days brighter, you can't be certain you'll make everyone's day brighter. On balance, though, I think it comes out on the positive side!

This thread is so bizarre to me. I have to agree that for me there is a big difference between doing something random and the whole planning aspect. I do wonder if stuff like this seem more ok at Disney.

I mean, if I were at the beach and somebody gave me their inflatable floaty because they were leaving and weren't going to lug it home, I'd think that was nice gesture. But if somebody approached me with a stack of "gently used" Hilton Head tshirts and visors, I'd think that was really odd and would probably move down the beach in the opposite direction. Putting a lot of these planned acts of magic into any other vacation scenario seems really odd and off putting.

For those that think they need to enhance their own vacation by giving trinkets away, why are you vacationing at a place you feel is sub par and needs enhancing? Why not vacation somewhere that you completely enjoy?

Also, for those that think others need "pixie dusting," in what areas do you think Disney is so lacking that you feel you have help fellow Disney guests have a better vacation? Obviously you don't think a Disney vacation alone is magical enough. What do you think Disney can do better so that their poor paying guests don't have to step in and try to make other guest's vacations worth the outrageous amounts of money they are spending for the vacation?

I think you're really reading too much into this, but I'll respond with my experiences both as a recipient and giver.

Last year we went for a quick weekend trip for MVMCP. My kids were wearing lanyards with pins. While riding on a boat a woman asked if they were collecting anything specific, looked through a bag of pins she had, and gave them each a pin. It was (to us) a very nice gesture and my kids talked about it long after the trip. When we were planning a Disney vacation for the summer, DH and the kids thought it would be a great idea to buy a few extra pins to give away.

Our trip didn't revolve around it. We weren't creepily seeking out and approaching recipients. We were not looking for people who "looked poor or in need of charity". We just had an extra lanyard with some pins on it in our backpack. A few examples: We talked with a British family for 15 minutes while we were waiting for the Little Mermaid show. The parents were asking us tons of questions (it was their first trip) and their kids were really friendly and engaging with DH and my kids. We invited them to choose some pins off the lanyard. Kids seemed thrilled and the parents seemed genuinely appreciative. Another time we were buying ice cream and there was a little girl dressed as Rapunzel. We had a Pascal pin on our lanyard, so we gave it to her.

We certainly never thought they "needed" the pins because their vacations were lacking or that we were doing some superior act of charity that we required in order for our trip to be enjoyable. My kids were simply struck by someone's act of kindness toward them and thought it would be a nice gesture to share with others. There really isn't any more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter