Egg, Soy, Gluten-kids and Disney

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me if the chicken nuggets, fries, and Mickey waffles that are gluten free are also egg and soy free??? We just learned of these new egg and soy sensitivities that my son has in addition to gluten. Disney did a fabulous job with gluten free for a child and I am hoping with the addition of avoiding soy and egg this will still be true.

I just answered another person who had special needs.

Its to important to ask a lay person those question

Go to the source Disneyparks.com and ask the question directly in advance and they will have a chef get back to you with those questions.

I experience it first hand even when I was at Tuskers the chef came out and walked the guest thru the selections of food.

Our server introduced us to the chef and explained the function.

I know the waffles and chicken tenders are, depending on the oil used for the tenders or if they are baked. Fries you need to ask by location, but don't worry they will take care of you. Those are 3 of my son's 9 allergens and he ate all 3 of those things on our last trip.

Thank you mistysue! So helpful! Of course I plan to ask but I wanted to be certain he'd still be treated like royalty and eat like a prince even with more than one allergy! It's the only place we can eat out! Love Disney!!!

I would definitely suggest hitting the books hard before you go to know what exactly soy and egg can be hidden in and cross-contamination issues. The chefs and food service CMs are not experts on the issue by any means and some are more attentive than others. Soy is a sneaky one, but it seems you found out by an allergy test rather than an anaphylactic reaction so hopefully you will be ok even if there is some contamination.

You are going to be on your own for QS and working with many young CMs who don't know the finer details of a soy allergy for example. There are a lot of ingredients to read through in the books so the more familiar you are, the better (a list can help). BOG flags meals that have the top-8 allergens, but that was the only place that I know of that was doing that this past Dec. I don't know exactly how their new food-allergy system is going to work, though you are very lucky to have top-8 issues!

Disney might give you a general response now, but you should check again when you are at the restaurant to eat.

The chicken tenders are gluten, egg, and soy free. The french fries have soy. I'm not sure if it's full soy or just lecithin or if your DS can have lecithin or not. Hopefully somebody else will know more details about the soy in the fries. We're not soy free but chefs have mentioned it to me because one of my kids can't have most soy products but that's due to a different ingredient and not the soy (chefs sometimes get into discussions with me over that one because they like to err on the side of caution but they're safe for her because I know she can have soy). I would definitely discuss lecithin with his doctor to find out if he can have it or not.

The Mickey waffles can be made gluten, egg, and soy free.

You didn't ask, but the Enjoy Life products (mosly cookies but a few places have chocolate bars) found around the parks and resorts are safe as are all the Babycakes products. Resorts should all have Pacific brand rice milk available though you'll have to ask a chef for it as it won't be in the coolers. A few TS restaurants in the parks will have it as well though not all will. Those that make milkshakes seem to have it (my kids can't use the brand of soy milk used at WDW but they've gotten milkshakes using the rice milk). The ice cream parlours in the parks as well as most resorts have Rice Dream ice cream as well.

The book at columbia harbor house this afternoon showed three different ingredient lists for fries. The "middle one" which they are using right now had no soy, but their oil has soy that they would be fried in. As soon as he left I wished I had gotten a photo of that sheet but they clearly have multiple frequent vendors.

The chicken tenders are gluten, egg, and soy free. The french fries have soy. I'm not sure if it's full soy or just lecithin or if your DS can have lecithin or not. Hopefully somebody else will know more details about the soy in the fries. We're not soy free but chefs have mentioned it to me because one of my kids can't have most soy products but that's due to a different ingredient and not the soy (chefs sometimes get into discussions with me over that one because they like to err on the side of caution but they're safe for her because I know she can have soy). I would definitely discuss lecithin with his doctor to find out if he can have it or not.

The Mickey waffles can be made gluten, egg, and soy free.

You didn't ask, but the Enjoy Life products (mosly cookies but a few places have chocolate bars) found around the parks and resorts are safe as are all the Babycakes products. Resorts should all have Pacific brand rice milk available though you'll have to ask a chef for it as it won't be in the coolers. A few TS restaurants in the parks will have it as well though not all will. Those that make milkshakes seem to have it (my kids can't use the brand of soy milk used at WDW but they've gotten milkshakes using the rice milk). The ice cream parlours in the parks as well as most resorts have Rice Dream ice cream as well.

I am so glad you posted this, we will be traveling with a baby that can only have rice milk. Do they have like individual serving sizes or is it only available like for milkshakes? She is ok with milk cooked in foods, she just can't drink milk, if that makes a difference. Her mom is trying to figure out the best way to transport it to the parks. I know she uses Rice Dream shelf stable milk at home, although it has to be refrigerated after opening.

The book at columbia harbor house this afternoon showed three different ingredient lists for fries. The "middle one" which they are using right now had no soy, but their oil has soy that they would be fried in. As soon as he left I wished I had gotten a photo of that sheet but they clearly have multiple frequent vendors.

That's good to know. I had no idea that they used multiple vendors. This is exactly why it's always important to check every single time. Thank you!

I am so glad you posted this, we will be traveling with a baby that can only have rice milk. Do they have like individual serving sizes or is it only available like for milkshakes? She is ok with milk cooked in foods, she just can't drink milk, if that makes a difference. Her mom is trying to figure out the best way to transport it to the parks. I know she uses Rice Dream shelf stable milk at home, although it has to be refrigerated after opening.

There are no individual containers but they can put it in a cup with a lid for you. I'm talking about small disposable soda style cups with lids so not something that can be tossed in a bag. If you've got cups that seal well (like sippy cups) then you can dump it from that cup into your own cup for easy transport. I assume you'll be using a stroller with a baby so it's easy to toss a small cooler with ice packs or even ziploc bags filled with ice in the bottom of the stroller to keep it cool. Bringing your own single serving containers of Rice Dream is much easier though. I place a grocery order every trip and it's easy to include something like this with an order. Our grocery order always includes our bottled water and milk as well as other drinks, breakfast foods, fruit and snacks.

That's good to know. I had no idea that they used multiple vendors. This is exactly why it's always important to check every single time. Thank you!

There are no individual containers but they can put it in a cup with a lid for you. I'm talking about small disposable soda style cups with lids so not something that can be tossed in a bag. If you've got cups that seal well (like sippy cups) then you can dump it from that cup into your own cup for easy transport. I assume you'll be using a stroller with a baby so it's easy to toss a small cooler with ice packs or even ziploc bags filled with ice in the bottom of the stroller to keep it cool. Bringing your own single serving containers of Rice Dream is much easier though. I place a grocery order every trip and it's easy to include something like this with an order. Our grocery order always includes our bottled water and milk as well as other drinks, breakfast foods, fruit and snacks.

She will probably be taking a sippy cup. Most likely not using a stroller, they have a carrier (baby wearing thing) and she has the backpack with leash so she can walk if she wants to.

Is it the CS restaurants that has the milk? We are staying Club Level, so we aren't ordering anything, she will bring some from her stash at home, We're military, so she orders it fairly cheap from the Commissary and uses coupons to get it for about $0.75 a carton.

Is it only protein that's an issue or is soy oil and soy lechitin an issue as well?

According to my allergist, the majority of people allergic to soy protein are fine with soy lechitin and soybean oil. If that's the case, the fries will be fine because the only soy in them is the oil and/or lechitin.

And soybean oil and soy lechitin aren't deemed "major allergens" because they technically do nt contain the allergenic protein (same reason why peanut oil is not required to be labeled) so if ou have to avoid soybean oil and soy lechitin make sure you check the ingredients thoroughly because it won't always be noted as an allergen.

Those are 3 of my 16 allergens and I was able to eat Mickey waffles, chicken tenders, and fries everywhere we ate.

She will probably be taking a sippy cup. Most likely not using a stroller, they have a carrier (baby wearing thing) and she has the backpack with leash so she can walk if she wants to.

Is it the CS restaurants that has the milk? We are staying Club Level, so we aren't ordering anything, she will bring some from her stash at home, We're military, so she orders it fairly cheap from the Commissary and uses coupons to get it for about $0.75 a carton.

CS restaurants in the parks typically don't have rice milk unfortunately, at least I don't believe they do. If you go at a slow time then the manager might be willing to go to a nearby TS restaurant to get some but I wouldn't count on it. CS restaurants at resorts should carry it.

Contact IPO. Ask them to get rice milk for you. If IPO isn't cooperative then a chef working the CL lounge should be able to get it. I doubt they'll get single serving cartons but they'll at least have some available that can be brought back to the room or used to fill up sippy cups.

If they'll have a backpack then maybe they can carry some kind of insulated lunch box or pouch that can contain ice for the milk? There are smaller ones for baby bottles that would probably work well.

CS restaurants in the parks typically don't have rice milk unfortunately, at least I don't believe they do. If you go at a slow time then the manager might be willing to go to a nearby TS restaurant to get some but I wouldn't count on it. CS restaurants at resorts should carry it.

Contact IPO. Ask them to get rice milk for you. If IPO isn't cooperative then a chef working the CL lounge should be able to get it. I doubt they'll get single serving cartons but they'll at least have some available that can be brought back to the room or used to fill up sippy cups.

If they'll have a backpack then maybe they can carry some kind of insulated lunch box or pouch that can contain ice for the milk? There are smaller ones for baby bottles that would probably work well.

That's great, we have several TS reservations. From what I have observed, they only give her milk now at naptime and bedtime and during the night when she wakes up, she will be 15 months old. She mostly drinks juice and water during the day, but I guess her mom wants to have some milk if she gets sleepy at the park, I thik she has some kind of insulated bag for it. We will definitely ask for it at TS restaurants.

It's listed on the form that I sent to IPO along with the request for Soy for her mother who is allergic to milk as well. Her mom has other allergies, so hopefully from those I have talked to already, they will have a chef come talk to her when we get to the Club lounge, and it's noted on our dining reservations.

Thank you, Suzanne is talking about my daughter. I was wondering if I was to take frozen breastmilk to the park insted of asking for her rice milk if the childcare center will let me keep it there while we are in the park

OP here....thank you all so much!!! We are currently eliminating ALL soy including oil and lecithin for now. In a month I can challenge him to see-he is mostly sensitive/intolerant and will develop yucky tummy, digestive issues so good to avoid as don't want those issues on vacation! However, it is not life threatening! We did all QS and a few TS last trip and EVERYONE was fantastic! We just ask to speak with a chef every time and wait for the chef to come out. They are all trained very well even the QS chefs-they told me the type of training for allergies they require of them. The worst experience we had was at Chef Mickey's believe it or not!

Now if only I could figure out how to make waffles gluten, soy and egg free at home!!!

Oh....and GREAT idea on asking for fries baked! Never even thought about that-perfect!!!!

Now if only I could figure out how to make waffles gluten, soy and egg free at home!!!

Find a gluten free mix that you like and follow the package directions. Substitute whatever soy free milk alternative you normally use or even apple juice for the milk and apple sauce (1/4 cup per egg) for the eggs. Any waffle maker will work though you really want to have a dedicated allergy waffle maker for this. It really is that simple.

Find a gluten free mix that you like and follow the package directions. Substitute whatever soy free milk alternative you normally use or even apple juice for the milk and apple sauce (1/4 cup per egg) for the eggs. Any waffle maker will work though you really want to have a dedicated allergy waffle maker for this. It really is that simple.

THANK YOU!!! I didn't know applesauce could be a substitute!! I will give it a try!

Applesauce is a great egg substitute as long as the baked good isn't too savory (applesauce adds a bit of sweetness) and as long as egg isn't a major ingredients (ex. flourless cookies which really there is no good substitute). For baked goods that don't hold up well to the added sweetness (ex. pizza crust) I use Ener-G egg replacer though that doesn't work for people who are corn free. For non-baked goods like meatloaf where egg is the binder and the dish is savory I use tomato sauce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter