ECV rental Company

CuppieCake04

Mouseketeer
We are set to arrive at POP on Monday, and my mom breaks 2 of her toes last night.

No way she can walk on it at WDW for 14 days..

I called Disney and they recommended 2 places Buena vista scooters and Apple scooters.

1 is about twice the cost as the other for 2 weeks..

Neither of us have ever used an ECV, and the limited knowledge that we know about ECV was when my sister had one before she passed away, and she had to have someone come out and show her how to use the thing.

Aside from the price is one companies scooters better than the other? easier to use? Are the machines reliable?

thanks

We are set to arrive at POP on Monday, and my mom breaks 2 of her toes last night.

No way she can walk on it at WDW for 14 days..

I called Disney and they recommended 2 places Buena vista scooters and Apple scooters.

1 is about twice the cost as the other for 2 weeks..

Neither of us have ever used an ECV, and the limited knowledge that we know about ECV was when my sister had one before she passed away, and she had to have someone come out and show her how to use the thing.
There are places that will deliver the ECV directly to you, meet you and show you how to use it.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 of that thread has nformation about wheelchairs and ECVs. It also includes links and phone numbers for different companies that rent ECVs and wheelchairs.

Some, including Apple and Buena Vista, are what are called 'Preferred Companies.' Those companies have an agreement with Disney and are allowed to deliver to deliver and pick up from Bell Services. Both Apple and Buena Vista, along with Care, are popular with DISBOARDS posters.

There are a number of other very good companies that are not 'Preferred Companies'. The biggest difference is that those companies need to deliver directly to the guest because they are not allowed to drop off or pick up at Bell Services.
Randy's and Walker are 2 of the popular companies that are not 'preferred'.

Aside from the price is one companies scooters better than the other? easier to use? Are the machines reliable?

thanks
I would say any of the mentioned companies have good reviews from DIS posters.

ECVs are pretty easy to operate and are reliable. You need to make sure to charge it up each night.
ECVs with 3 wheels can turn more sharply and are a bit smaller than the 4 wheeled models. Many people feel those things make them easier to drive.

The other big consideration is the weight of the driver. There are heavier duty ECVs with larger batteries for larger users. Someone who is close to the weight limit or one ECV will probably have better battery life with a larger unit.

Thank you. I went with obe of the preferred carriers. Drop of with bell services and ability for immediate repair is a good option.

Was also told I can leave the ecv with bell services over night, and they will charge and store for me. That to was good news. Not sure if that is for preferred or not. But nice none the less.

Thanks for the sticky info

It isn't a good idea to trust Bell Services to charge the ECV. They fit well in the rooms and it is much better to charge them yourself. Others have reported that they relied on Bell Services and the ECV wasn't charged. You may want to stick a power strip in your luggage. It is good for not only ECVs but for phones, cameras, etc.

I would never leave an ECV at Bell Services. I would be afraid it would get lost (accidentally be given to another guest) or that they'd forget to charge it (plus you'd save on having to tip them every time you drop it off and pick it up, lol). Why not just keep it in your room and charge it yourself? That's what we do. My mom uses an ECV down there and has had one in the rooms at Pop, POFQ, PORS, CSR, and AKL with no problem. We just move the little table over some and park it right in there next to the plug.

As far as companies, we like Apple Scooters. We've used them several times and have never had a problem.

We are staying at pop 2 adults and 2 children. I worry about the space. I already know they are smaller rooms. And with all the luggage we will have I worry about having room to walk in the room...

CuppieCake04 said:
We are staying at pop 2 adults and 2 children. I worry about the space. I already know they are smaller rooms. And with all the luggage we will have I worry about having room to walk in the room...

I have stayed at POP tons! LOL! It has been my home away from home for 38 nights this year alone. I own my own ECV. With a little bit iof creativity, you will be just fine with the ECV in your room. There are two 'good' places to 'park' it for charging....either parallel park it under the window or pull it in next to the table (moving the chair that would normally be there to sit under the table similar to a desk style situation). You will still have PLENTY of room to move around within the room. Depending on how much you unpack, you can nest empty suitcases for storage and store on the high shelf near the sink or the sink is quite deep, we have stored under it as well. There's usually room for one at the end of the armoire too! I think you'll be surprised at the nooks and crannies you can find in these rooms for storage when you look! :)

Im looking into renting one for my mom from one of the previously named companies. It does appear that there is quite a difference in cost. Im hoping OP or someone else here can explain that cost difference? Any other personal experience with specific companies (apple, Buena vista) would be great too!

Im looking into renting one for my mom from one of the previously named companies. It does appear that there is quite a difference in cost. Im hoping OP or someone else here can explain that cost difference? Any other personal experience with specific companies (apple, Buena vista) would be great too!

We use Apple for my mom's and have never had a problem.

Walker, hands down! Been renting from Walker 2-4 times a year for 8+ years and never had a problem. Apple and Buena Vista are ok from what I've read on the boards but I will stick with Walker as I've never had any issues with their service, delivery or scooters.
Just my humble 2 cents...

We've never used Buena Vista but were VERY happy with Apple last visit. The only hiccup we had is that we had the bad luck of breaking down around a parade time in the MK and the rep literally, physically could not get rhrough the park to Adventureland to help us until the parade was over, and ANY company would have had the same problem. (We must have ridden Aladdin's magic carpets at least a dozen times in a row!)

I'm adding my voice to the chorus of people recommending NOT leaving the ECV with Bell Services to charge overnight. Even if everybody involved has the best of intentions and even if there is never any sort of breakdown in communication between people on different shifts... there's just so much going on and so many people going in and out it would be SO EASY for it to become unplugged overnight, or a key to get lost, or a million little things. We stored a standard-sized ECV in a standard-sized room and had no trouble getting around it. We had to leave one of the chairs pushed in at the table, but we didd't really do a lot of sitting at that table in the first place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter