• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV on a Fort Wilderness golf cart

Thegoatfeeder

Main thing WDW Needs? More Muppets!
We are thinking of booking a stay in the new DVC cabins at Fort Wilderness. I use an ECV usually rented through gold, it is the type that comes apart into 4 or 5 pieces for transportation.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of whether it is possibly to get the ECV in it’s broken down form into a Fort Wilderness golf cart, is that something that would be remotely possible?

It is probably technically possible but not especially practical. You'd need to spend effort tying id down each trip.
I mean to be honest we do this every time we take it in and out of a car either way, so we’re used to the cardio haha

For reference this is what we’d need to stow IMG_0534.jpeg

Agree with PP -- while possible I'm not sure it would be advisable. There is no "trunk" or cargo space on the golf carts, so it would take up the back seat, and probably not any good way to tie it down so pieces don't fall off the seat or out of the golf cart completely. I'd also be concerned a CM might tell you no because it could be deemed unsafe with the parts either unsecured or not well secured. My recommendation would be for the ECV user to drive the ECV while the rest of the party uses the golf cart.

You could ask on the Camping forum if they've ever seen anyone put a disassembled ECV on a golf cart.

Thanks so much. I think you’re right, just use them separately, we can make that work!

Thanks so much. I think you’re right, just use them separately, we can make that work!
OK, you didn't hear this from me.

First of all, do go pop into the Fort Wilderness thread; those people are genuinely some of the nicest Disney folks around. I am forever an FW fan because of the awesome humans we met over and over again when staying there.

Next, there *are* some golf cart rental places in Orlando that I believe will deliver to the Fort. Now - HUGE GRAIN OF SALT WARNING - There used to be a model that was like a pickup truck and a golf cart had a weird baby with an open cargo area in the back. Don't know if anyone still has any of those around, but it's *possible* you could rent one.

If at any time a CM says "Hey, don't want to see that again" to your cart full of scooter parts, then... it's sidewalk city again for the scooter driver!

I was never here. You saw *nothing*. Mamabunny who?

Tow the ECV? I'd get a strap with big carabiners on both ends and hook it up (or if you aren't the DIY type go grab a climbing quick draw like here https://www.rei.com/product/192236/camp-dyon-mixed-express-ks-quickdraw), just disengage the brake and keep the scooter turned off. Probably against some rule somewhere but I'd deal with that in the moment.
Just to clarify, this is what I would personally do. I can't promise it will even work :D much less not get you in trouble with someone.

Next, there *are* some golf cart rental places in Orlando that I believe will deliver to the Fort.
Fort Wilderness has really clamped down on outside golf cart rentals. I believe the only ones allowed to actually deliver directly to Fort Wilderness must be rented along with a camper rental, which doesn't work if one is staying at a cabin. Otherwise the guest must bring it in themselves even from a third party vendor. That tends to look like this: drive to meet the rental at a parking lot nearby, if your vehicle can't tow you borrow their truck to drive the rental back to The Fort, then back to the parking lot to return their truck and get your own vehicle. Or some form of that... folks on the Camping forum will know more.

I don't recommend planning to tow the ECV. It likely is not allowed, then you are right back with driving the ECV while the rest of your party rides the golf cart. Or use the internal buses, which should run past each cabin loop regularly.

Fort Wilderness has really clamped down on outside golf cart rentals. I believe the only ones allowed to actually deliver directly to Fort Wilderness must be rented along with a camper rental, which doesn't work if one is staying at a cabin. Otherwise the guest must bring it in themselves even from a third party vendor. That tends to look like this: drive to meet the rental at a parking lot nearby, if your vehicle can't tow you borrow their truck to drive the rental back to The Fort, then back to the parking lot to return their truck and get your own vehicle. Or some form of that... folks on the Camping forum will know more.

I don't recommend planning to tow the ECV. It likely is not allowed, then you are right back with driving the ECV while the rest of your party rides the golf cart. Or use the internal buses, which should run past each cabin loop regularly.

I had actually forgotten that the outside rentals had become a whole deal. Oh well. No weird hybrid baby golf carts for us! 🤫

And I do agree about towing the scooter; while there is a (juvenile delinquent-shaped) part of me that kinda would love to see it… we have to be responsible grown-up adult human people and, you know, not set a bad example for the youth. 🤔🙃

I believe you can rent golf carts from off-site rental companies. I know there are good carts that can accommodate up to two Pride Maxima's (The San Diego Zoo Safari Park used to use them for ADA accessibility, they still do at busier times, but normally they use busses now as they can accommodate more at once), so I wonder if the outside rental companies might be able to rent one of these types of golf carts to you. You wouldn't have to take the scooters apart at all.

Also, be sure to check rules for renting golf carts from outside companies. If the rules don't allow it, I would call Disney and ask for suggestions.

As noted above, outside rentals are allowed but the renter must bring the cart onsite themselves. It cannot be delivered to The Fort.
Ah, I see, good to note for us, as we will eventually be likely to stay there now that the cabins are becoming DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter