• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV and wheelchair decorating! Share ideas and photos

I love the wings! The glow in the dark stars are an awesome idea, we may just have to borrow it :o

image.jpg These were one of our more successful things - EL lights woven between the spokes of her tires. That battery pack was attached with Velcro straps and small strips of Velcro attached to the spokes.
It was kind of tedious work to thread the light tubes thru.

I've used solar-powered lights on my scooter. Worked pretty well. One year, for the back of my seat I made a sign from artwork found on the internet. I added some hand-coloring and glued some sparkle to it. It said, "My other vehicle is a ((insert large graphic of Cinderella's coach)).

I've used solar-powered lights on my scooter. Worked pretty well. One year, for the back of my seat I made a sign from artwork found on the internet. I added some hand-coloring and glued some sparkle to it. It said, "My other vehicle is a ((insert large graphic of Cinderella's coach)).
the sign sounds cute.
I know some people have gotten sign designs from other DIS posters.

The lights in the first picture I posted were solar powered. They work quite well. You just have tolsn out the position of your solar collector to make sure it's not shaded much during the day, one of the things I liked about those was they were set to sense darkness and turn on and off as the lighting changed.

I love the ideas. My hubby is going to paint a pink and purple butterfly on the back of my mom's chair. We are going this September and it will be her first time using a chair on a trip!
This is fanatastic! Please share pics when you can! :D
My daughter has wings on the back of her wheelchair.
Most people probably don't notice them because she has a backpack also behind her.
View attachment 95135
Her wings are just beautiful Sue!!! Did you paint them?
I've never thought to use solar powered lights! Brilliant! Aww what a great sign. :-)
The lights in the first picture I posted were solar powered. They work quite well. You just have tolsn out the position of your solar collector to make sure it's not shaded much during the day, one of the things I liked about those was they were set to sense darkness and turn on and off as the lighting changed.
Wonderful! Were they hard to find, or to attach?!

backpaint.jpg
This is my old chair that I had for 6 years. My new (2 or 3 year old) wheels are far more sporty and have proper tires from Shwalbe. I painted the back with white nail polish. There are crazy number of flowers I painted inside the guards. Not sure I still have those pictures though.

bebebleutake2.png
Just have to say you've all inspired me to get started on decorating my chair! I planned to it long ago, and then life just did what life does. We lost 3 family members in two years, my health went downhill and I just stopped caring about changing my wheelchair. I'm in it every day and I just want to thank you @ammag for starting this thread!
lollipainttiny.jpg
The second photo is mine oil on wood (and was in progress). Quick question... Do you think a mermaid in a style like this would look good on the back of a wheelchair? I'm thinking of making a couple of painted covers for the back, and this one I've wished to do for a long time, but could really use some fresh perspective.
The other option is to sew a couple of colorful covers Disneybounding for a chair! ;) that can be changed and are themed, they would attach with velcro and the chair would still be able to fold.

Last edited:
My daughter has a Jay Deep Contour seat and seat back. I have not made any back covers in ages (used 2 about 3 chairs ago when she was little).
I do still make seat covers. Here are a couple - pretty, easy to make and not as hot as the plain black one. Here is a picture of an assortment of her covers. The blue print one on the top right is stretch denim. The others are swimsuit or dance costume material. It's very stretchy and dries fast for washing or spills.
image.jpg

This is one set of solar lights we have.
I didn't want to leave them on permanently and attaching them with electrical tape worked well, but was time consuming.
So, I had the idea to sew them between 2 pieces of plastic needlepoint canvas. I cut some of the cross pieces out to pull the little light bulbs thru so they show better. It does cut down the light some, but not too bad.
And, I think the ease of putting them on and off makes up for less light.
image.jpg

Last time I used them, I attached them under a bag she has under her seat for wheelchair supplies. That meant I had to attach them in multiple places and pretty securely.
I redesigned how the bag is attached under her chair, which makes it hang a little lower. That means I can put the lights above the bag. Since it would be resting on the bag, it won't need to be attached as well.

View attachment 95312
Just have to say you've all inspired me to get started on decorating my chair! I planned to it long ago, and then life just did what life does. We lost 3 family members in two years, my health went downhill and I just stopped caring about changing my wheelchair. I'm in it every day and I just want to thank you @ammag for starting this thread!
View attachment 95316
The second photo is mine oil on wood (and was in progress). Quick question... Do you think a mermaid in a style like this would look good on the back of a wheelchair? I'm thinking of making a couple of painted covers for the back, and this one I've wished to do for a long time, but could really use some fresh perspective.
The other option is to sew a couple of colorful covers Disneybounding for a chair! ;) that can be changed and are themed, they would attach with velcro and the chair would still be able to fold.
I think the Mermaids would be awesome, I wish I could paint like that!

I do a Tinkerbell theme after by happenstance finding some cheap little Tinkerbell pom poms, windspinners and a bicycle horn that matched. We attach it all to the EVC basket and bars. The bicycle horn sounds like a bell ringing and amuses kids.

My daughter has a Jay Deep Contour seat and seat back. I have not made any back covers in ages (used 2 about 3 chairs ago when she was little).
I do still make seat covers. Here are a couple - pretty, easy to make and not as hot as the plain black one. Here is a picture of an assortment of her covers. The blue print one on the top right is stretch denim. The others are swimsuit or dance costume material. It's very stretchy and dries fast for washing or spills.
View attachment 95320
These are just terrific covers! Nicely done! the spandex material is such a genius idea! One of the ickiest parts of being in a chair is how hot and sweaty it gets. The idea of quick dry fabric never occurred to me. :sad2: I just thought a cotton duck or canvas would be better than that poly vinyl stuff the seat is covered in. Your way of doing it is much smarter!

Her seat cover is actually cloth, very stretchy, but thin and I was afraid of it wearing thru.
One thing I did in the Ada that was very easy was just a flat piece cut to the size of the top of the wheelchair seat (the part you actually sit on). I attached ties to all 4 corners and just tied it to the frame.

You guys have such awesome ideas! I am having a bad flare and I can't figure out how to write back to each person right now. But I love the covers, the mermaid idea is awesome! The lights too how wonderful. I'd think maybe small cable ties help for more temporary use of lights? Especially ona. Rental. The sewing in the plastic thing is very cool!
I am going to post some pictures I've found online, if they belong to anyone here and they don't want the on this board just tell me! I write for some blogs sometimes I think I will try to write about this!!! If anyone wants their ideas, stories or pictures in a public blog message me :) I do a family one and might submit to a disney one.

Will take me a few weeks.

I am loving the idea of disney bounding some covers.....if you don't have the back covered wiht a bag or if yu cover the bag wiht the cover that would be good too! I think that you could even do it with hot glue if you don't need them to last for years and be washable. What am I saying this si the DIS board of course they will be used again!!! Lol

I have to stop now but I am so inspired by all of you!!!!!

Some lights, a float chair made with crepe paper flowers, but you could do silk of course. (Rapunzel theme would be beautiful) some cool spoke designs I think they are custom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 24
View attachment 95312
View attachment 95316
Beautiful oainting! I am an artist too, though I haven't painted in a long time :( the mermaid would look great, would you have to do fabric paint?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter