• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

eBay/PayPal question

Dan Murphy

We are family.
I'm confident that we have a number of eBay/PayPal experts here on the dis. I certainly am not.

Here's my story....

Natalie's 2 boys are there at their shaving age now, 14 and 16. I thought I would get each of them a nice Philips Norelco electric shaver, just like their papa uses. I went to eBay (in retrospect, my mistake). I bought 2 higher end shavers, almost $200 each. Seller had EXCELLENT rating/reviews. They were ordered mid March. Seller said they would be sent early April. Okay.

First one comes (only one) early April. It's not the model I ordered. It is a lesser model, maybe $20 less of a model. I contacted seller, she (?) says they did not have the model I ordered and that the one shipped was almost the same (it is). I accepted. I ask where the 2nd one is. She says it will ship soon. Back and forth emails over the ensuing months (my email tone intensity increasing with each email)) up through about 2 weeks ago, 5 months after my order date. 2nd shaver comes, totally a much lesser model than what ordered or the 1st one. Maybe $90-100 price. I email, she says that's all they had.

Going online to eBay, the seller page says....We are sold out, but here are some other stores you may be interested in. Basically closed up shop I guess.

My question is, do I have any recourse with either, or both, eBay and/or PayPal? If so, how the heck do I contact them? If no recourse, do I just chalk it up at a $400 learning experience?

I did post this on the community board. I'm also posting here as I'm sure their are experienced eBay/PayPal folks here on the Budget board/

Thanks for any answers, replies or suggestions.

i did my first ever ebay purchases this past month. first item came damaged/unreponsive seller so i contacted ebay under their money back guarantee-seller responded within the same day/prepaid mailing label provided, refund hit me the minute the ups store scanned my return.

Thanks, @barkley. It may have been too long since my order date. eBay does not find either my order ID or Item ID. Maybe I'' have to see how to go through PayPal, if not too late there.

I agree that it sounds like the seller strung you along long enough so that you wouldn't be able file a dispute or do a chargeback on your credit card.

I would try to file a dispute with ebay anyway. As a seller, I find that ebay is significantly more helpful with buyers than with sellers when it comes to issues.

Sorry Dan I agree, others that you may have waited to long. I would call your CC company and see about a charge back as were you defrauded, but I'd also file a complaint with eBay and PayPal. If you did a direct payment from your checking account though PayPal you're a bit up the creek. I had one that was pushing the 30 day mark so I filed a complaint, the store said it would ship within 2 weeks, but 3 weeks later it hadn't and I pursued the charge back on my CC.

Thank you all.

I wish I could find a phone number, email address or chat link for either eBay or PayPal. eBay does not find my order when going through the return links. PayPal was through CC, Steve. And I hate calling them, offshore CS center.

Depending on the credit card you used it is actually up to 6 months to file a dispute. I would strongly suggest you file a dispute with your credit card. You can go back further in you ebay history there is an option supply the model numbers you ordered and the ones you received and the values you found. you can ask the items be returned or the difference. If you file with paypal first you are not supposed to contact your credit card for a dispute. I think it may be past the paypal protection period? anyway. If you are past your credit card period then contact paypal. please take care of this ASAP the days of chalk it up.... if paid by credit card are long gone. But please only use chargebacks for legitimate reasons which this seems to be as this can hurt a merchant as in the end the credit card will always side with the customer since the days of chips on credit cards.

If you paid through paypal, you have 180 days from payment to open a dispute. That or the credit card company are your only options at this point as ebay disputes are typically 30 days.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/buyer-protection-resolution

Reading the story, definitely red flags all over but it's always easier in hindsight. Reputable ebay sellers ship same or next day and if it's longer than that something is funny. You have to ship within 1 business day to maintain a top rated ranking which is what all volume sellers try to achieve.

In the future, if you haven't received a tracking number within the estimated delivery time definitely open an "item not received" case. It at least starts the process with ebay and puts the seller on notice that they need to complete their end of the deal or you will be getting a refund.

Update....

I called my PayPal credit card that I use, Fidelity Visa. After explaining the situation, they have given me an immediate 'provisional' credit of the $396. If they need additional information, they will get back to me. So, we'll see where this goes in the coming days. When the dust settles, I will update with final result.

Thanks you all very much.

Update....

I called my PayPal credit card that I use, Fidelity Visa. After explaining the situation, they have given me an immediate 'provisional' credit of the $396. If they need additional information, they will get back to me. So, we'll see where this goes in the coming days. When the dust settles, I will update with final result.

You accepted the first shaver as being almost the same.
Your dispute is really$200.

I wouldn't be surprised if the seller doesn't bother to reply

Update....

Glad to hear it. Credit cards usually have your back with this kind of stuff. This is why I use them for every single purchase I make.

My cards don't even require ever speaking to a person about this kind of stuff. You can submit these types of claims online and it's all done that way.

I bought my teens an inexpensive electric shaver when they were those ages. They never use it. They prefer their Harry's razors from Target. I use the shaver when cleaning up their necks after I cut their hair.

Update....

So here’s the deal. You did what is known as a first chargeback. If the merchant responds - this can take a while - and The credit company asks for more information you can supply any new fact like I am not happy and want to return at that point it becomes a second charge back the merchant will have 3 options 1) to take the razors back and refunded 2) accept the charge back and let you keep the razors 3) try to fight the chargeback. in order for them to fight it will go into arbitration AND the merchant will need to pay 500-700 depending on the card win or lose. If they lose you will get a credit period it is then up to the store to ask you to return or pursue the return by some other means like small claims court if you do not send them back. Another cost for the owner. If they win - rarely happens - they will pay the 500-700 and the charge will be put put back on your card. In other words 99.999999999999% chance you get your money back and please do the right thing and return them when they supply a paid return label still a business no matter how bad they are If they fight it. in my opinion only A fool of a business owner would fight a chargeback under 700 and not come to some agreement with a customer but I have heard of it happening always with a bad outcome for the owner.

Happy for your @Dan Murphy hopefully its found in your favor.

Charge backs are a great way to wake up a selling to contact you and resolve the issue. Many never do though. Those with enough charge backs will see their rates go up or just get completely dropped.

Initial written response today....

Thanks again for contacting Cardmember Service on 08/28/2023.

We wanted to let you know we're researching dispute #D-**** on your Fidelity® account ending **** for $396.00 at PAYPAL *EBAY US 40.

As soon as we have an update on your dispute, we'll let you know. In the meantime, just a reminder that this charge has been credited back to your account while we complete our research.

Please do not reply to this message as we are not able to respond to messages sent to this address

So here’s the deal. You did what is known as a first chargeback. If the merchant responds - this can take a while - and The credit company asks for more information you can supply any new fact like I am not happy and want to return at that point it becomes a second charge back the merchant will have 3 options 1) to take the razors back and refunded 2) accept the charge back and let you keep the razors 3) try to fight the chargeback. in order for them to fight it will go into arbitration AND the merchant will need to pay 500-700 depending on the card win or lose. If they lose you will get a credit period it is then up to the store to ask you to return or pursue the return by some other means like small claims court if you do not send them back. Another cost for the owner. If they win - rarely happens - they will pay the 500-700 and the charge will be put put back on your card. In other words 99.999999999999% chance you get your money back and please do the right thing and return them when they supply a paid return label still a business no matter how bad they are If they fight it. in my opinion only A fool of a business owner would fight a chargeback under 700 and not come to some agreement with a customer but I have heard of it happening always with a bad outcome for the owner.

I disagree that you win a chargeback 99.9% of the time. I know a number of people who have filed chargebacks and have NOT won. Especially when you file it well after the transaction took place.

Also, a number of companies have now started banning people who file chargebacks against them. I know Uber is one of them, I had a family member who filed a perfectly legitimate chargeback against them and they banned her from using them.

Happy for your @Dan Murphy hopefully its found in your favor.

Charge backs are a great way to wake up a selling to contact you and resolve the issue. Many never do though. Those with enough charge backs will see their rates go up or just get completely dropped.
Also, a lot of companies will now ban you if you file a chargeback against them. For example, file a chargeback against a rental car company and you will probably never be able to rent a car again. I know Uber also bans people who file chargebacks against them.

Gee so I’m other words a company doesn’t have to deliver what the promise if you try to do something about it your the bad person.

Also, a lot of companies will now ban you if you file a chargeback against them. For example, file a chargeback against a rental car company and you will probably never be able to rent a car again. I know Uber also bans people who file chargebacks against them.
No worries here, they are out of business, at least with the credentials that I dealt with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter