Eat at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I'd share my meatloaf break through. My family doesn't really like traditional meat loaf, so someone suggested I start making "meat muffins" in a muffin pan. Then I went and exchanged tomato sauce for salsa and my family LOVES it! It is a moist meatloaf instead of the really dried out kind. Here is my basic recipe( I don't usually measure, so I'll approximate)
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 small diced onion
6-8 crumbled saltines
1/4 cup salsa or picante sauce, as mild or hot as you like
salt and pepper to taste
couple dash's of Worschestershire sauce

Mix it together and distribute evenly into a muffin pan, spoon a small amount of salsa on top of each one.
Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

This is almost exactly how I make mine, also in a muffin tin. However, I add about 1/2 pound bulk mild sausage, I think it makes it moister than just the ground beef. Sometimes I put BBQ sauce on top of the "muffins" for an extra zip.

Monday was grilled lean sausage and veggie kabobs with guacamole salad
Tuesday was grilled chipotle marinated chicken breast with fresh green beans and baked potatoes - one of our faves
Tonight I'm trying Pioneer Woman's crock pot shrimp thing with bread and salad
Tomorrow I'll probably do tacos or taco salads
Friday night is pizza night - homemade of course!
Saturdays I shop and we usually just throw some burgers on the grill.

It's so much healthier and less expensive to eat at home. We rarely eat out and when we do we go high-end. I really like knowing exactly what's in my food.

P.S. I really love these threads because I get some great ideas! I try to do old favorites with a couple of new things thrown in each week.

I have lots of chicken and pork chops but so tired of my old recipes need some ideas to keep motivated so I dont order takeout!:)

we're having leftover chicken spaghetti along with some salad and some sauteed squash from our garden. Maybe we'll have a few cherry tomatoes to toss in the salad, too. :)

Yes I do! It's from the Sept. 2008 edition of Bon Appetit Magazine :)

Quinoa with Black Beans and Cilantro

I'm going to make this tonight. There was this lovely cold minted quinoa salad I had awhile back and I just can't seem to get the right recipe for it if anyone out there has any ideas.

Wouldn't you know that there was a beautiful, well priced bunch of cilantro at the store and I thought to myself, no it wasn't in the recipe. Oh well, its only a 2 block walk to the store.

I so wish we had a TJ's here. We stock up when we are in Detroit, Milwaukee or California, but we can only get non-perishables.

We rarely eat out and when we do we go high-end. I really like knowing exactly what's in my food.

This is us as well. We might go out once every 2-3 weeks (unless we're travelling, then it's more), but when we do, we go to a locally owned, more upscale restaurant that uses fresh, local ingredients. We steer clear of chains, mediochre food that's basically just reheated and costs way too much for the value. Not to mention, DH and I get sick almost every time we eat at a place like that. I still shudder to think about the last time we ate at Olive Garden :scared1: and that was over 3 years ago! I enjoy cooking at home, even though I'm never home from work before 6 pm. I think it takes less time to make a good meal at home than to pile everyone into the car, drive somewhere, wait for a table, wait to order, wait for our food, wait to pay, drive home. I can multi task while making dinner as well, throw in some laundry, read emails, talk to the kids and DH about their day, etc. But, planning is key! Going over sales fliers and loosely planning menus around them is what helps me. I'm also fortunate enough to pass several farm markets on my way home from work where I can quickly grab fresh produce.

Tiffany, thank you for the chicken fried pork chop recipe - I printed it & will try it.

Edit - OOPS, I asked for the gravy recipe & it is right there!

Thanks, Julie

i LOVE this thread! DH and I got into a bad habit of eating out what seemed like 4 meals a week when we were dating and it unfortunately kept up for quite a few months when we got married. However, since I took a hefty pay difference in accepting a new job with less travel and less hours we are on a B-U-D-G-E-T! We definitely "fell of the bandwagon" this summer, however. BUT-our schedule is calm again and we have less than 2 months until Disney and I want every extra penny for our vacation!

Here is our "menu" for the rest of this week and next:

Thursday: L/O (leftover) Creamy Beef Lasagna (recipe courtesy of Taste of Home) (I will never make another lasagna! It is DELICIOUS!) and Garlic Toast

Friday: Potato & Cheese Pierogis with crumbled bacon and sourcream & polish sausage

Saturday: Baked Chicken Legs (sprinkled with oregano, parsley, and garlic salt-DH says its the best chicken seasoning he's ever tasted!) with mashed potatoes & corn

I'm not sure which days we will have what but here is the list for next week:

Bacon & Egg Biscuits (Grands! Biscuits are on sale this week for a dollar) with fried potatoes (I buy a can of whole potatoes from Aldi and slice them and "fry" them in a skillet with some butter, salt & pepper.)

Frozen Pizza with Salad (Exciting-I know)

Chicken Kiev w/ Rice a Roni & Corn

Buffalo Chicken Strips with Baked Potato Wedges (The Buffalo Chicken Strips Recipe is actually courtesy of Weight Watchers.) (We LOVE Buffalo Wild Wings and this definitely rids our craving for it. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast is finally on sale for $1.99lb again so I am going to stock up!) (I also tried (and successfully) made buffalo chicken pizza with this same recipe. Just used a pillsbury pizza crust dough (it's delicious!) and some shredded cheese and tomatoes.)

Chicken Tenders with french fries (Not a usual meal for us but the grocery store has a thing of chicken tenders on sale for $1.25)

We ARE going out to eat next Thursday b/c it is DH's birthday. He chose The Cheesecake Factory-YUM!

It seems breakfast for dinner is quite popular! Glad I'm not alone! :)

This thread is great. I have been trying to cut down on the eating out and ordering takeout, especially with how hot it has been this summer. I am doing pretty good and trying to keep eating out to under $50 a month and we usually go out for one breakfast, one lunch and one dinner.

This week our menu is

Tonight: leftovers
Tomorrow: Crock pot potato and double corn chowder with salad
Friday: Out to dinner with the Family for my cousins birthday
Saturday: Chicken cutlets with lemon butter sauce over rice and ratatoullie
Sunday: Beef Stew with cheddar garlic biscuits
Monday: Potato and Cheddar Pierogies with spinach salad
Tuesday: London Broil with Hashbrown Casserole
Wednesday: Triple grilled cheese sandwhiches with tomato soup

Glad this is helping others too!:cool1:

Last night I made gravy for the first time and its was good and easy.

Here's my updated menu

Tonight chicken bake

Friday mac and cheese

Saturday breakfast

Sunday meatloaf

Monday grilled cheese and tomato soup

Tuesday my daughter is turning 4!!!! She can pick where we eat right now she is leaning towards papa Gino's

I had to pop in on this thread because Eat at Home is the name of my blog! And that's what my whole blog is about - simple recipes to help people eat at home. I now have 52 weekly menus + complete grocery list on my blog. Here's a link to the latest.

Here's a link to the list of them all (well, nearly all of them. I need to add some to the list.)

This is incredible! You have done a fantastic job. I have been looking for a website like this! Thank you so much!:worship:

Just thought I would share I just made homemade doughnuts and it was so easy and yummy! It only took and hour and a half start to finish with dishes. Super easy I got the recipe from the food network.

I want to share a quick recipe I made the other day. Marinate chicken breasts in lime juice and salt and pepper for 30 mins then grill. Salsa: partially warmed frozen corn or you can use fresh corn, cut up avocado the juice of 1 lime and pepper Put this over the chicken. Delicious. Very simple and easy to make. If you do weight watchers its worth 5 points.

I like this chicken/salsa recipe! My kids may actually eat this...LOL.

Tomorrow night I was thinking of ordering Chinese for a treat as DH willb e out of town, but instead we'll be having a picnic on our dining room carpet - macaroni and cheese is the main dish. We prefer the white cheese ones so I got some organic M&C at Whole Foods for 99 cents per box. Steam up some broccoli and we're good to go! ;)

Since's it's tomato season here is a yummy simple one for pasta. My friend gave me this one from someplace online and it's so easy/

BAKED TOMATOES WITH PASTA

Ingredients
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound very ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 pound dried fusilli (corkscrew) or farfalline (butterfly) pasta
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn
print a shopping list for this recipe

Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease with some olive oil 13-by-9-inch baking dish

Place the tomatoes cut side up in the dish.

In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheeses, and garlic and toss with a fork to mix well. Sprinkle the bread-crumb mixture over the tomatoes, making sure that each cut side is well covered with the crumb mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the olive oil. Bake until the tomatoes are cooked through and starting to brown on top, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Time the pasta so it finishes cooking about the time the tomatoes are ready to come out of the oven. Pour mixture over top of pasta and then sprinkle with fresh basil

Just thought I would share I just made homemade doughnuts and it was so easy and yummy! It only took and hour and a half start to finish with dishes. Super easy I got the recipe from the food network.

How did you make these? My son was just asking for donuts this morning and I couldn't stomach going to Dunkin Donuts and buying them.

Tuesday my daughter is turning 4!!!! She can pick where we eat right now she is leaning towards papa Gino's

Oh Papa Gino's that brings back memories of growing up.

This is a great thread. I have been trying to create our menus each week so that we stop eating out so much. There are some fantastic menu ideas. Thanks and I can't wait to try them out.

I had to pop in on this thread because Eat at Home is the name of my blog! And that's what my whole blog is about - simple recipes to help people eat at home. I now have 52 weekly menus + complete grocery list on my blog. Here's a link to the latest.

Here's a link to the list of them all (well, nearly all of them. I need to add some to the list.)

OMG! Thank you so much. . .you rock! I think I'm having a full on love affair with my crock pot lately. I really wanted to do a pantry week this week, and your menu for this week is PERFECT! I already have everything but the cream of chicken soup, green pepper and Kitchen Bouquet. :cool1:

So here goes:

Thursday: Red beans and rice and corn bread
Friday: Pesto Tomato and Cheese Pizzas, salad
Saturday: Hashbrown Casserole with ham, tomato and spinach salad
Sunday: Easy Pepper Steak, angel hair pasta and green beans
Monday: Honey Mustard Chicken, rice and broccoli
Tuesday: Tony’s Tilapia, Parmesan Fettuccine, peas
Wednesday:Chicken Fiesta with Black Beans, chips and salsa, salad

Wow! That was easy!

How did you make these? My son was just asking for donuts this morning and I couldn't stomach going to Dunkin Donuts and buying them.

Oh Papa Gino's that brings back memories of growing up.

This is a great thread. I have been trying to create our menus each week so that we stop eating out so much. There are some fantastic menu ideas. Thanks and I can't wait to try them out.

here is what you need

1 stick of unsalted butter at room temp cut into pieces
1/2 c water
1/4 c sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c flour
3 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
veggie oil for frying
( I also dipped mine in melted chocolate chip, I rolled some in powdered sugar and i rolled some in cinnamon sugar mix)

In a med sauce pan mix water, butter and sugar and salt bring to a boil for about 10sec remove from heat add flour until mixed well return to heat to cook for 2 mins
place mixture in a mixer add egg yolk and mix next add eggs one at a time and let each mix in place in the refrigerator for 15 mins

meanwhile i heated the oil i started on high and then lowered to med

drop small balls of dough in oil i used a meatball u can also use an ice cream scoop cook for 3 1/2 mins until golden drain on paper towles and then u can do whatever you want to them.

Super easy and yummy! I got this off of the food network they had a coffee glaze but i just made up my own

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter