Eat at home 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie to your thread :)

I plan on going through your original thread and checking out some of the recipes :thumbsup2

12/26 Christmas leftovers
12/27 Chicken and spinach enchiladas/spanish rice
12/28 Chicken alfredo/ciabatta garlic bread
12/29 Tilapia/cous cous/veg
12/30 Creamed chicken and biscuits/some sort of veg

Not sure beyond that. I need to go grocery shopping and also make a trip to Sam's to stock up on chicken, ground turkey and fish.

Looking forward to getting some new ideas for dinner.

Welcome aboard!:welcome:party:

Wow! So glad you started a part 2 thread. I was intimidated by the large first thread.

I can't wait to get inspired to eat at home in 2012. We are currently planning to eat out only 1 night for the entire month in 2012.

Here is what I'm having this week (my son's bday is also on the 29th. Must be a popular day to have a bday).

M: Homemade lasagna, garlic parmesan rolls and salad (lasagna was sooo good)
T: leftover lasagna, bread and salad
W: Ham (leftover) with butter beans and salad
Th: Taking DS out for his birthday unless he wants to just eat in
F: Our annual family snack party featuring chicken rolled tacos, bagel pizza, loaded nachos, bbq wings and just about every other carb filled treat under the sun. Since it's only once per year it's okay.
S: Hot dog and sauerkraut
Sun: Pork and sauerkraut (both Sat and Sun were DH's idea)

Tonight we are having chicken orzo soup made with the last of the roast chicken we had on Saturday night.

We just made the decision to send our son to a private school for 6th grade so, yep, we're in mega-budget mode now! I don't mind - it's a great opportunity for him - and we've explained that this decision will change a lot about how our family lives and that we'll all have to pull together to make it work. Job #1: eating at home, packing lunches, homemade snacks and so on. Healthier for our bodies and our pocketbooks!

Anyway, here it goes for this week...

Monday: Christmas dinner leftovers (pork roast diced into gravy, mashed potatoes made into potato pancakes, braised carrots and olives)
Tuesday: Qdoba-style burritos (tomato rice, black beans, seasoned meat, homemade guac, cheese, salsa)
Wednesday: pasta with meatsauce, salad
Thursday: Some kind of homemade veggie soup; popovers
Friday: Ham steaks, broccoli fritters, onion rice, herbed carrots
Saturday: My birthday! Potluck dinner and party with friends, not sure what I'll bring yet.

Thank you for posting the link in the old thread! It's hard to do from my iPad so I need to do it on the iMac but I was too tired to get up:rotfl2:
:thanks:

No problem. I have been getting pretty good on my phone. I am in south Texas right now without my computer.

Homemade Southwest Egg Rolls

Are you willing to share this recipe? I love these things but I am on a low sodium diet. I can usually convert almost anything if I just have a recipe to follow. Thank you in advance!!!

My menu this week:
Mon: burgers and fries, salad for me and daddy
Tues: lemon garlic chicken and sautéed Brussels sprouts
Wed: dirty rice
Thurs: Chicken in a garlic cream sauce and a veg
Fri: Roasted chicken and vegetables (fingerling potatoes, broccoli, carrots, onions, and whatever else needs to be used up)
Sat: New Years Eve is junkfood/ appetizer night; fish or bean soup for daddy
Sun: Pizza or calzones, whichever we decide to make

This week has been fun!

I made homemade egg nog for the first time. I made the cooked version.

Last night I made scalopped potatoes with ham. Today I am starting to make the meat for my tamale making day tomorrow. I've got a pork shoulder in the crockpot and a chicken defrosting because there are giblets I have to get out.

I am going to finish bagging up the ham from Xmas today and might make split pea soup tonight. I also will be making Denver omelets tomorrow for breakfast.

Tuesday[/B]: Qdoba-style burritos (tomato rice, black beans, seasoned meat, homemade guac, cheese, salsa)

This sounds very good. How do you make them? We don't have that restaurant around here. Can you use dry black beans? I have a bunch but don't really know what to do with them. How do you make your quac? I love the stuff! Thank you for sharing!!!

Wow thats a lot of post and food!!! :goodvibes

I think tonight with be the last left-over night! We did have dinner out last night with friends for the holidays so all this stuff need ate up to make way for this weekend of celebrating!!

I havent even went to the grocery store and when I sat down to make a list, I thought of this thread...one of the best places to get ideas! So i will post my dinners later :hug:

Today we went food shopping and had a budget of 160$ for 4 adults and two kids
I spent 156$ but that included my dh birthday dinner of a 47$ prime rib. Not too bad.

Tonight will be home made Mac and cheese with broccoli.

Tomorrow morning I am making waffles from scratch with my new waffle iron:cool1:

Hi Everyone, Hope you all had a great Christmas (we did) I am here to get back on track and get the goodies out of the house and start eating heathier again Jan 1st! (WW Points plus but I can't afford the mtgs so I'll do it myself)

Monday - 6" veggie delight subway - DS had hockey from 3 - 8
Tuesday - Pork Loin in Crockpot, leftover mashed and sweet potato, green beans and beer bread from Christmas dinner
Wednesday - Leftover Ham from my mom's Christmas dinner, FF (Reg & Sweet) cold veggies on the side
Thursday - Hot Chicken Sandwiches using the leftover chicken, gravy , stuffing, cranberry & rolls from our Christmas dinner
Friday - Chicken pot pie for Hubs and Parmeasan Tilapia (frozen) for Me
Saturday - Happy NYE carry out - our Fave Chinese food, buffalo chicken dip & crackers and cheese
Sunday - Stuffed Shells

I also am a planner and have my menu done thru March 24 - 12 weeks (I made 6 wks of menus then started again a week 1 - 1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6 ) Of course its flexible should things come up but being a sports mom and have a working HS senior at home I have to have a plan or else they'd put me in the poor house eating out all the time. LOL

I spent 156$ but that included my dh birthday dinner of a 47$ prime rib. Not too bad.

Tomorrow morning I am making waffles from scratch with my new waffle iron:cool1:

LOVE when Hubs makes us homemade waffles!!! YUM YUM:yay:

Our boxing day big family get together was last night and Prime Rib was also on the menu. I don't even want to know what my dad spent on that cut of meat. It was enough to feed 22 people though:scared1:.

I have to get my menus for the next few weeks together. In fact, I like your idea of planning weeks and weeks ahead and just rotating the menus bigsis1970.
Christmas is over and we are now is full press budget mode for the upcoming Disney trip in May:). Eating out and take out are off the agenda for the next few months. It's an easy category to cut out and save a lot of money for Disney fun!

Our boxing day big family get together was last night and Prime Rib was also on the menu. I don't even want to know what my dad spent on that cut of meat. It was enough to feed 22 people though:scared1:.

I have to get my menus for the next few weeks together. In fact, I like your idea of planning weeks and weeks ahead and just rotating the menus bigsis1970.
Christmas is over and we are now is full press budget mode for the upcoming Disney trip in May:). Eating out and take out are off the agenda for the next few months. It's an easy category to cut out and save a lot of money for Disney fun!

Thanks - it also helps that I have labeled my week like this: big dinner sunday, ground beef mondays, chicken tuesdays, breakfast for dinner wednesday, pasta thursday, whatever friday and Pizza night saturdays, then i just filled in our favorite meals for the 6 weeks (altho I'll look in some of cookbooks and see if i can change a meal here or there so we don't get to tired of our faves.)

I'm still working on getting the next semesters meals in order, but I am lacking the energy to deal with it. I've been spending my winter "break" babysitting my friends kids since school is out. HOLY MOLY! I think I want another baby, but maybe I'm a one kid kind of mom. These kids are driving me nuts!

M - Leftovers. We went to four different Christmas/Eve dinners. I'm pretty much over food
T - Sticky chicken, brussel sprouts, and rice
W - Chili - even though it's hot as heck out
R - Baked potatoes with leftover chili
F - Steak quesadilla
S - Some apps and fried rice
Sun - :confused3 I don't really know. I might go with breakfast for dinner or pasta. We leave on Tuesday, so I don't want to go to the grocery store for much.
M - Dinner out for my daughter's birthday.

I'm also making sandwiches and broccoli cheese soup for lunches, and english muffin bread and pumpkin cinnamon rolls this week for breakfast.

All told, I should be able to make it out of the grocery store for less than $50. We'll see!

Hi all!

I've been reading the old thread for quite a while, but never posted on it.

Since we want to eat cheaper (and especially healthier) beginning Jan. 2, I'm want in on the action.

We have tons of leftovers from Christmas and tons of appetizers in the freezer from Christmas eve (DD was sick, so we never made them), so we'll mostly just be eating those for the next few days.

12/31 - Turkey BBQ (pulled pork style) for party at my sister's, various apps, etc.
1/1 - Pork and Sauerkraut (tradition around here), mashed potatoes

Hi all!

I've been reading the old thread for quite a while, but never posted on it.

Since we want to eat cheaper (and especially healthier) beginning Jan. 2, I'm want in on the action.

We have tons of leftovers from Christmas and tons of appetizers in the freezer from Christmas eve (DD was sick, so we never made them), so we'll mostly just be eating those for the next few days.

12/31 - Turkey BBQ (pulled pork style) for party at my sister's, various apps, etc.
1/1 - Pork and Sauerkraut (tradition around here), mashed potatoes

:welcome: aboard!

Plans changed. We are still cooking the soup but my mom is going to have that tomorrow night because I am going out to a movie with my Aunt and cousin, with dinner afterwards.

Tonight I am making spaghetti carbonara for the first time. Wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter