Dvc points for cruise

sorceressk

Mouseketeer
Anyone recently cruised totally on dvc points? How many points did it cost you to cruise?

Anyone recently cruised totally on dvc points? How many points did it cost you to cruise?

We cruised 7 nights to the Mexican Riviera on the Wonder in Oct. 2011. We had two adjoining rooms with ports on deck 7 for the five of us. (2 adults, 11, 7, and 18 month old). We did it completely on points. I think it took 588.

We are cruising again on points (Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean Feb. 15th 2014) and it is costing us more points and it did not cover everyone. I believe it will be 600 points and I did have to pay out of pocket for the oldest who will be 14 and the youngest who will be 4 years. This will be on Deck 7, port window one room.

We did a 4 night on the dream in January, category 4B. We used 331 points for DH, myself and our 4 year old. We paid cash for our other 2 kids, ages 10 and 7, about $450 each.

We've used points 1x and I have looked into it several times but I can't seem to do it again. Every time I work out the math for the cruises I'm interested in it seems like the out of pocket price for the cruise is roughly the same as the amount I'd pay in maintenance fees for the points I"m using. When you add the 95 fee in and take out any onboard credits you'd have for booking with a travel agent it just doesn't make sense for us to do it again. I wish that disney would give us at least a little reduction in price with these cruises. Now that's based on our contracts which have about an average of $6 pp now. If you owned at other places where it was less pp then maybe it would make more sense.

392 for the 2 of us last week on the Fantasy. We had a verandah deck 6 aft!

we booked an upcoming cruise with points and cash.
It was 29%-30% cheaper versus the cash rate for each passenger ( depending on child or adult). we paid points for both adults in the first room and the children via cash. I did not factor in the $180 ( $95 x rooms) because that is really spread among 7 passengers (in the grand scheme of things, the $25 pp is nominal). So, the savings versus cash for us for the POINTS portion about 30%. After all was said and done, paying for 4 of the 7 passengers with cash, we still saved 22%, including the $95 fees.

We booked 2 category V suites on a 4 day.. I ended up having to rebook ( VERY Costly since there is a 20% penalty when booking concierge) . I did not check a travel agent and I have no idea about on board credits, so I cannot compare. Others can perhaps opine there and I would be curious how substantial discounting is.....but for us, we would NOT have used our DVC points otherwise and using it for a cruise at least once was part of out purchase decision....as we knew we would try a Disney cruise at least once. We like Disney, but we love to travel lots of places and honestly cannot call ourselves hard core DISNEY fans....that said, a DVC membership makes sense for us, we believe, given our assumptions about how frequently we would go ( no more than every 2 - 3 years) and needing at least 2 villas everytime we travel.

Hope that helps.

We are cruising next week on points. Two adults, two children, Cat 9A, 5 nights on the Wonder for 428 points. I had an OBB that was able to be transferred over and they even discounted the points required because of the OBB.

If you book your next cruise within 48 hours of disembarking, you get 25% point discount off future cruise. Since 2003, we have used points for almost all our cruises. For us, it makes more sense financially.

Ok, I'm confused. We did a dummy booking on board and they said if we decided to use points instead of cash that we would be able to just call member services and they would adjust the points required by 10% and we would lose the OBC. But if we would have just waited until we disembarked and booked thru member services within 2 days instead, it would been 25% less points?? That's a huge difference.

acourtwdw said:
If you book your next cruise within 48 hours of disembarking, you get 10% point discount off future cruise. Since 2003, we have used points for almost all our cruises. For us, it makes more sense financially.

I was wrong about the amount of discount. Sorry...

Generally speaking, if you use a figure of $10/poin and do the math, it usually does not make sense to cruise on points. However, sometimes, it might.

We wanted to go on another cruise with DCL. We really should not have been spending the money to do so at that time. We had points that were going to expire. We did not need airfare to get to the ship, but would have needed it to get to WDW. We had an amazing 7 nights on the Wonder. (We went to the Mexican Riviera, but we didn't care where we were going. We just wanted to spend a week on the ship. Our points allowed us to do that. :)

- Dreams

We're doing the 7 night southern Caribbean next October. For four of us (2a/2c) in a cat 10c, it cost us 473 points.

Well worth it for us, because it not only covers accommodations, but it also covers food and entertainment! ;)

And...now the cruise is "paid off" and I can just concentrate on saving money for spending and airfare.

Yes and WAAAAY TOOOO MANY!!! We will only cruise on cash now. The points go a lot further at the DVC resorts.

We're doing the 7 night southern Caribbean next October. For four of us (2a/2c) in a cat 10c, it cost us 473 points.

Well worth it for us, because it not only covers accommodations, but it also covers food and entertainment! ;)

And...now the cruise is "paid off" and I can just concentrate on saving money for spending and airfare.

You could have rented out those points for $10 or more a point and paid cash for the cruise. You would then have had probably $1000 in spending money after you paid for the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter