DVC has lost focus

One thing we have loved over the years is that each trip it seemed one of our kids would reach some milestone that made the trip unique.... The end result is that we have literally watched our kids grow up at Disney!

That is a pretty great idea. We should try something like that. Thanks!

Since having the kids, it has been all about the pictures mostly anyway. We pre-order our Photopass CD every year and this year we called and asked about the Photopass+ because my wife likes to get the dining photos.

It is scary when you are recognized by photographers and kiosk CMs from year to year. That has happened to us the last 2 years thanks to my obsessed wife and cute DD with their costume changes!! (and there are A LOT of them!)

Just the other day, my wife called to ask about the PP+ and the woman on the phone knew who we were! Not only that, the photographer who did our photo session 2 yrs ago was standing right next to her while she was talking to us and he even mentioned us by name. Now THAT freaks me out! LOL!

... But my husband doesn't have an AP this year, so we didn't want to use an entire day of a ticket just for dinner, if that makes sense. So we decided on the resort-only route and LOVED it.

Yeah, like I said, we go only the one time a year for the extended trip, so the AP is a must for us. It is nice to not have to worry about wasting a day like you said and just go in for however long you like.

i thought some of the responses were interesting. i also thought
they bounced back & forth..from dvc losing its focus vs their
own expectations.

..don't know the direction that dvc is heading because i am not
in "charge" of the compass...but if i was , i know exactly
where i would take the future of dvc .

i also don't think the current dvc officials are ignoring or over-
looking.

for ex., a poster came here to check out an ebay co..,

about the poster that came here asking about "renting"
& a business on ebay? she were stating the ebay renters
were running a business, via trading in their rci to dvc. and since
it is not permitted, then who could be that bold-to run a rci trade-
in business on ebay? i have only guess.

but i am no business expert and i am sure they are wondering
the same kind of things. but like all businesses , dvc has
people in their work capacity and are driven by profits.
without the profits , the company will perish. so based on
the higher positions, i think those desiring success, will find
motivation to keep the profits coming. so i am thinking they
are not only "seeing /asking" the same questions , but in
greater details.

in general, i am suspecting dvc are uses a number system to
"look @ possible changes". while that can reduce the chances
for major mistakes, they are still leaking small profits all the time.
why wait for losses to reach a certain level when all is
needed~ a lil' plan to do problem solving? and since dvc wins
with people too (it is self evident), dvc needs personnel policies
that has zero tolerance for abusing their system. there
are conflicts of interests that i have read over & over-
& most don't even realized it.

do rci worry about dvc members trading in & then selling them?
end the rci relationship if i was in charge. but what could
dvc offer members/...more active dcl cruises ~after all
they now have 4 ships, and continue
making dvc resorts right next to all their parks...japan,
paris , & they already have aulani....& the beach resorts.

by ending rci...all those experience pointers, will seek out
new ways to do dvc?...the resales will get more action.
and dvc could control many "holes" that are costing
a lot $$$---resorts dollars going to those .."over"...
working the current system.

new rules about those renting points. that the thing i was hinting
@ bout realistic expectations. how many brought dvc points
with the great idea to rent them to others? didn't see that perk
on any member wish list.

i don't know if dvc has lost it's true focus but the potential
for ever increasing profits ....seem as bright as ever..if they
are willing to tweak & recognize their true values. also
include adding new profits from current losses.

2110, we went to a dvc xmas party. from my observations,
it was a success in promoting dvc vs other time shares.
...now expand that with a halloween theme , easter &
so forth.

the list of the potentials sells are just endless if the leadership
recognizes what they are have power over. like i said earlier, does
any of the rci experts here think rci has any worry about
dvc owners trading in to rent their properties off?

dvc closing some doors will open others that can reap many
more profits just because~ dvc has direct ties with the best
family vacations in the world-their parks. don't see them
ever going away. but first priority, they need to learn
some inspiration that matches up the other company-like
dvc will never be finished...or never get old, & maybe a
lil'jingle... :rolleyes1 then,

my message to dvc managers is to dream big and bigger!

as for my own focus, don't want to own their compass but
wouldn't "mind" tweaking it a few "times".

Both II and RCI care and will take action related to renting exchanges. Generally they will lock the account for a period of time, usually about a year. If there is a recurrence, they will usually cancel the membership from what I've heard. While DVC doesn't need RCI per se, they do need a major exchange option. What they could do and what I think they should do, is to beef up the BVTC and do direct exchanges with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood and a subset of Bluegreen, Wyndham, Shell, Worldmark and the like or at least as many as they can work out the deal with. Cont with Club Intrawest but Cordial doesn't add much. Diamond adds a lot of European options. BVTC is already a licensed exchange company. Even assuming they would exclude lower rated and options local to the other DVC properties, that still gives you somewhere in the range of maybe 125-150 resorts listed. While less than the 500 or so they've had with II or RCI, the quality of the resorts and a direct reservation options more than makes up for the smaller numbers and one gets coverage that's pretty close to current options. An independent exchange company would be a perfect supplement to such a system.

I saw they added a bunch of discounts for all kinds of restaurants and shopping. I applaud DVC.

Both II and RCI care and will take action related to renting exchanges. Generally they will lock the account for a period of time, usually about a year. If there is a recurrence, they will usually cancel the membership from what I've heard. While DVC doesn't need RCI per se, they do need a major exchange option. What they could do and what I think they should do, is to beef up the BVTC and do direct exchanges with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood and a subset of Bluegreen, Wyndham, Shell, Worldmark and the like or at least as many as they can work out the deal with. Cont with Club Intrawest but Cordial doesn't add much. Diamond adds a lot of European options. BVTC is already a licensed exchange company. Even assuming they would exclude lower rated and options local to the other DVC properties, that still gives you somewhere in the range of maybe 125-150 resorts listed. While less than the 500 or so they've had with II or RCI, the quality of the resorts and a direct reservation options more than makes up for the smaller numbers and one gets coverage that's pretty close to current options. An independent exchange company would be a perfect supplement to such a system.
That is a true "common sense" approach, Dean, and I hope DVC is listening to you!:thumbsup2

Look at dvcnews.com

Not sure what you are talking about. The only thing I saw was some new discounts on the Food an Wine special events, but nothing on new restaurant discounts that haven't always been there.

The emphasis on stock prices and obligation to shareholders is part of what has weakened American business. That emphasis should be put on product quality and product sales, an emphasis that grows weak when the beancounters take charge. Then you get executives who work to maximize stock prices (because that maximizes their personal bonuses) and shareholder satisfaction rather than customer satisfaction, and the whole system careens off in the wrong direction.

The emphasis on stock prices and obligation to shareholders is part of what has weakened American business. That emphasis should be put on product quality and product sales, an emphasis that grows weak when the beancounters take charge. Then you get executives who work to maximize stock prices (because that maximizes their personal bonuses) and shareholder satisfaction rather than customer satisfaction, and the whole system careens off in the wrong direction.

Unfortunately Disney falls into this trap. Tom Staggs chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts was the senior executive vice president and chief financial officer of The Walt Disney Company.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney, like all publically traded corporations, have a responsibility to their stockholders, to be maximize profits when possible. DVC Member are not stockholders, they are timeshare owners. Remember it wasn't lack of "magic and foresight" that got Eisner booted, as some would have you believe. Eisner was given a no confidence vote and was ultimately kicked to the curb because Disney stock prices, dividends and profits were down. That is all wall street cares about.

True, sad to say all to true but that is not the image they try their hardest to project when they have you seated and are giving you the sales pitch of a fun, caring, growing, people and fun focus club that Walt would be proud of. The reality is much different than the sales pitch. When we were on the last Member's Cruise(our last as well) it seemed like DVC used it to bombard us with buy a ad-on at every event and around every corner. We have been on more than one and with each passing cruise, the freebies keep getting cheaper and more like the stuff you want to put on e-bay instead of keeping. For us the way it was was much better than the way it is now and that is a problem for us. The people who are buying now have no idea of the way it use to be....smjj

Unfortunately Disney falls into this trap. Tom Staggs chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts was the senior executive vice president and chief financial officer of The Walt Disney Company.

:confused3 Which means what?

:confused3 Which means what?

That Disney like other companies are placing finance executives in key operational roles instead of placing executives that are focused on the guest experience.

Pretty clear indicator of what they feel is important.

I agree with that general statement (DVC has lost Focus) because we have seen a decline in mousekeeping and maintenance of our units. If they just fix that without adding any more perks I'd still be content with my membership.

However if they keep expanding without any real thoughts into keeping/maintaining the resorts they already have then I might be dipping my toes in the resale pool.

That Disney like other companies are placing finance executives in key operational roles instead of placing executives that are focused on the guest experience.

That might be true in some instances but having met Tom, I would not agree that just because he has a financial background does not mean he is not focused on guest experience.

I feel that if you take someone that does care about guest experience and they have a financial background you have the best of both worlds. Basically you have a Roy and Walt rolled into one person.

That might be true in some instances but having met Tom, I would not agree that just because he has a financial background does not mean he is not focused on guest experience.

I feel that if you take someone that does care about guest experience and they have a financial background you have the best of both worlds. Basically you have a Roy and Walt rolled into one person.

I guess my comments are based on observations and experiences at WDW and it isn't just Tom that makes me think that the balance has shifted towards profit instead of guest experience.

I could list a bunch of examples but they aren't just DVC related so I will list just one.

If guests are waiting a hour for a bus and the bus is going to make 3 stops, get more buses.

disneynutz said:

Speaking as a financial executive, I think take offense to your generalization. There are lots of people with financial experience that are well rounded to balance the overall business needs. Sure there are some that place profits above all else just like there are sales and.marketing people that have no concept of finance that have sold and marketed a company into bankruptcy.

I was also wondering which benefits have been reduced to the point where there is no advantage to being a DVC member. (I wasn't around back when they were offering free park tickets to DVC members)

I can stay within a stone's throw of Epcot whenever I want and I've already paid for it at 2002 point prices, that's an advantage.

I understand how the system works so I have no objection to selling cash rooms. I trade out my interest in BCV to go somewhere outside of WDW, they now can sell that space.

I can't think of any better benefits I could ask for actually. Love the AP discount, I use that. I don't want the dining plan, a lot of DVC members say they expect discounts on the dining plan or even free dining. I never understand why some think DVC ought to give us free food when we've already paid for our rooms. Disney uses free dining solely to boost occupancy at certain times of year and DVC doesn't need to do that; free dining is not a reward. It's a tool to get guests to book resort rooms at rack rate.

I don't use points for cruises and have never done a member cruise. Didn't they just offer sizeable discounts for DVC members on some of the NY cruises?

Can't also understand the analogy between higher DVC prices and those who are broke and can't feed their family. If that is the case they are likely not in the market for DVC or for any trip to WDW. If I were broke and couldn't buy food I'd sell my membership and I wouldn't have an annual pass anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter